• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, don't get too amazed because while they agree on the situation their takeaway will be leagues apart.

It's like when people hear Tucker Carlson "attack" the rich elites and go "whoa he's based!" and then he's like, "and BLM is to blame!"

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I don't want to hear none of this shit. Politicians are all supported by corrupt money. AOC is cool and I believe she's sincere, but all of this "we are for the people" bullshit by 99% of politicians is hollow as fuck and just a play to get people to think they're on their side. The "market" has always been manipulated by the ultra rich. Now that the regular joes are trying to manipulate it, the elite have to do what they must to protect what's theirs. The thing is, those same people fund and essentially rule our political system.

I'm just surprised people are surprised that Robinhood would choose their venture capital backers over their users.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ted Cruz, AOC, Gamestop and WSB are the vanguard of the revolution.

Gamers rise up.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Ted Cruz is the last person you should believe his sincerity from. He is a leech looking to attach himself to a populist position.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
c5c94uups3e61.png

because of gamestop btw

Ok you know you done fucked up when literally everyone on every side of the spectrum and literal fascists think you are in the wrong.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
we need to shut it down until we can figure out what's going on "in the back"

what are they checking back there?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to post what I wrote in the other thread about this, it was in response to someone else so some context might be off but the general point is the same.

Conservative populists like Ben Shapiro, Donald Trump Jr, and Glen Greenwald, are thinking that "the free market" means that private companies like Robinhood controlling their platforms is a violation of the concept of "the free market," similar to how they think that Twitter controlling speech on their platforms is a violation of the concept of "free speech."

Meanwhile, liberals like Elizabeth Warren, and now progressives like AOC, believe that government has a role in regulating the industries that create these platforms to prevent them from getting into circumstances like this that then require regulatory/government intervention (or hamfisted implementations at their own regulation).

A problem occurs when you have so-called liberals or progressives making utterly libertarian and nihilistic arguments around consumer financial protection, false equivalencies, and then placing blame on liberals or neoliberals for the lack of regulations that were all overturned by conservatives and libertarians. There is a meme a page or two ago and some poster here blaming neoliberals for this. No. It's libertarian-minded conservatives who have gone after most of our consumer financial protection laws, Republican enablers who supported them and and gave them the majority, and now those same Republicans -- Ted Cruz or Don Jr -- now transitioning to populist arguments misinterpreting what "free market" means to think that a free market (or free speech) means that private platforms arbitrarily regulating how their platforms work is a violation of the concept of the free market.

--

Also if you've taken to blaming neoliberals or liberals for any of the activity over the last ~72 hours, and you're the bridge linking arms with AOC and Don Jr, then you need to re-evaluate your positions and your enabling of fascism by finding fake enemies. Responsible liberal regulators have been trying to pass regulation and establish entities like the CFPB that would reign in abuses by institutional investors and protect individual investors from get-rich-quick pyramid schemes like this (and if you don't think you need protection, maybe you don't, but the financially desperate people you might have unintentionally conned into jumping into the bottom of the pyramid probably do), and conservative or libertarian deregulators have worked tirelessly to overturn laws and strip those protections and regulations that would hem in risky financial behavior by institutional investors.

Before posting that hot take about liberals, maybe just like check who you're enabling. And if it's Don Jr and Ben Shapiro, you might just want to re-evaluate your take.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

Lol I just said this shit so I'm so fucking glad AOC had the same thought and kicked it up to 11! If Cruz and other Republicans are really interested in doing politics now they should have started owning up to the fucking Dog's Breakfast they made that caused an insurrection weeks ago. Until then, they should be bludgeoned with their complicity in endangering the lives of senators & breeding a white supremacist death cult until their dying days and long beyond while staying out of the way of the real politicians.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If this is how January goes, what does the rest of 2021 have in store?