• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess me literally posting answer from Campo Santo developer means nothing XD

nah bro there's this one other guy who says it was bad argument destroyed

for real though, if the developers are happy the only reason I can think of that people are mad is because they think they're entitled to the game; totally fine to be disappointed but trying to force some conspiracy theory that they were forced to drop everything and work on HL:A is laughable

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What you're suggesting is way worse. Poaching a big portion of the company isn't going to leave them in any better position and just screw whoever stays.
I'm not talking about targeting individuals from Campo Santo, but put more focus into looking for talent that are thinking about moving or are already seeking in positions they need to fill (they're currently seeking for positions now). When development teams are bought it's usually for the team, the IP, or something where they work together as they have been. The way it sounds with Valve, is if it was Tesla that bought Oculus and it's team just to see if Carmack would be more interested in working on one of their other projects, not really caring if the VR thing would pan out. The rest could follow Carmack if they could contribute or find some other project if the VR thing was put on hold.

Some Campo Santo trying for positions at Valve on their own could be seen as poaching I'm sure. There were rumors (Cliff tweets) that claimed Epic poached Bosskey members, but it seems they moved on their own. The two location were very close, it was likely the best choice. If Campo Santo people would have been sucked up by Valve's open positions so be it, they weren't interested enough in what they were doing with the game anyway, but the game and Campo Santo would still be there, moving along.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Somewhere, deep in my old Telltale files, I have an Excel spreadsheet with all the Max's Severed Head gift codes that were provisioned but never given out, because fewer people preordered Sam & Max Season Three than we thought. It was thousands and thousands of rare hats. So for years, on paper, I was probably the richest Hat Baron of them all and nobody knew it, and therefore am not susceptible to TF2 hat bribes.
Touché. Campo Santo might be the Untouchables of the hat economy.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
They're hung up on tools because that's all they can talk about. Valve has been a services developer for as long as they were a game developer at this point.

And, I agree with you. It sucks seeing developers getting bought up by Valve only for them to become part of The Borg, instead of being able to continue doing what they were doing previously. We've already seen instances of this before and heard reports from disgruntled ex-employees who feel the same way.

*smh*

- working at a company where you can decide on which of the dozen projects you want to work on: part of the Borg
- working at an indie developer on one game that you have to work on and don't even know if you are employed the next year: FREEDOM!

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
That Twitter thread by the writer is heartbreaking. The game sounded amazing.

There is a big difference between the writer's vision and the final gaming product. It may sound cool on paper, but it is questionable if his vision would make it into the finished product.

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
I was looking forward to it but I'm intrigued by HL: Alyx too so I'm not too disappointed (still hoping that the dev will resume at some point).

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So they worked on a game they loved but we knew nothing about except a trailer, to a game from a serie that is one of the most popular of all time and will be the leading AAA game in the VR space, not a bad trade

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
The proof is *literally* directly above your post lol

Even the people you care so much about are telling you, that you are wrong.

For all the caring you do about the ex Campo Santo team, its weird, that most of you don't seem to follow them on twitter or watch their Interviews,
where they directly talk about Valve and everything "discussed" in this thread.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a prime example of what (a lot of) this community's I care about developers actually means -- nothing but bullshit.

I'm not surprised to see the usual ignorant attacks at Valve in the name of platform wars either.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
this doesn't sound like an individual happy to be working on other projects to me.

Maybe that's because he isn't working on other projects with Valve, since he was a contractor and not a Campo Santo employee (information that you can find in the second tweet of that thread, but I guess it wasn't important enough to read)

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
tenor.gif

the worst possible outcome, but alas, no surprise there

yeah, sadly I pretty much expected this once Valve bought Campo Santo and just hoped it wouldn't happen

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
So? I still would've loved to see them try. Now we get nothing, which is worse.
You don't get nothing, you get a game in a huge franchise that has been worked on by people who developed Walking Dead Season 1, which received endless recognition for it's story-telling.

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a prime example of what (a lot of) this community's I care about developers actually means -- nothing but bullshit.

I'm not surprised to see the usual ignorant attacks at Valve in the name of platform wars either.
Valve is pretty much the only company you can get away with the "lazy devs" stuff here too.

I'm not surprised people are trampling over the employee's own words.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You gotta wonder why they'd work on finishing up Half-Life: Alyx instead of In the Valley of Gods if they had a choice. I've been following these guys for a long time through their podcasts, social media presence, games, etc. They're not stupid and there was probably a reason why they put it on hold and I imagine it has nothing to do with what Valve wanted them to do.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm arguably more excited for Alyx than anything else next year (I mean, PCVR nerd over here with multiple headsets). I also think it's fucking awesome that the Campo Santo folk get to work on whatever they want and aren't under any pressure as an indie studio anymore. They're living their best lives and this is universally a good thing.

Having said that, as happy as I am that they'd make me a proper AAA HALF FUCKING LIFE VR game in 2020, I can't be unsympathetic to fans of the studio who were looking forward to ITVOG. Hell, I had it in my list of 'games I was most excited anticipating' on Era this time last year. There are folk on the boards who don't play on PC or don't use PCVR who were looking forward to ITVOG on their platform of choice. I understand their disappointment that they don't get to play it now.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm arguably more excited for Alyx than anything else next year (I mean, PCVR nerd over here with multiple headsets). I also think it's fucking awesome that the Campo Santo folk get to work on whatever they want and aren't under any pressure as an indie studio anymore. They're living their best lives and this is universally a good thing.

Having said that, as happy as I am that they'd make me a proper AAA HALF FUCKING LIFE VR game in 2020, I can't be unsympathetic to fans of the studio who were looking forward to ITVOG. Hell, I had it in my list of 'games I was most excited anticipating' on Era this time last year. There are folk on the boards who don't play on PC or don't use PCVR who were looking forward to ITVOG on their platform of choice. I understand their disappointment that they don't get to play it now.

I get that. What I don't get is all the people spouting easily disproven lies and acting like Campo Santo/Valve "owed" them something. This is a constant with all Valve-related threads, and it really gets tiresome when you see people acting in bad faith and that seemingly no one cares about it.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
See, that tweet-thread by Duncan Fyfe is interesting, because a lot of it gives a melancholy "This was freaking awesome and I wish it never ended" vibe, and it certainly reads like they feel the game is cancelled. But at the same time - genuine question here - how far through the dev process does the writer stick around for? I can't imagine it's like a film where the screenwriter can do rewrites up to the day of filming, so the writer's involvement stops short of others involvement for sure.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
See, that tweet-thread by Duncan Fyfe is interesting, because a lot of it gives a melancholy "This was freaking awesome and I wish it never ended" vibe, and it certainly reads like they feel the game is cancelled. But at the same time - genuine question here - how far through the dev process does the writer stick around for? I can't imagine it's like a film where the screenwriter can do rewrites up to the day of filming, so the writer's involvement stops short of others involvement for sure.

He was contracting. As it was a Campo Santo effort, highly unlikely he was the only writer on the project. Valve have had many contracting writers.

Deleted member 48828

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 21, 2018
The only thing that annoys me how they call this "on-hold," when it's obvious no one wants to work on it and it's going to stay that way for a long time, pulling the original people who had any passion for it in the first place farther away over time. Like, of course that's dissapointing. I would honestly rather see more original projects, especially ones with PoC main characters, than have every good developer get absorbed into Valve's mega-projects.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing that annoys me how they call this "on-hold," when it's obvious no one wants to work on it and it's going to stay that way for a long time, pulling the original people who had any passion for it in the first place farther away over time. Like, of course that's dissapointing. I would honestly rather see more original projects, especially ones with PoC main characters, than have every good developer get absorbed into Valve's mega-projects.

Reading posts like these would make one think that Valve has been on a studio acquisition spree. In reality, they've acquired... 5? studios over twenty years (and two of these would later return to being independent when they decided it wasn't working). I'm also being super generous with the 5 studios number...

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Here's a Twitter thread by a writer on the game. Given that the game is dead, it's probably as close as we are going to get to any hint on it.

Damn the writer sounds amazing, if he can't do what he wanted in a game I hope he does a book. I be first in line

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Hah, that's true as well. Rarely any large game (especially one from Valve) would have a single writer.

Speaking of writing contractors, Rob Yescombe was contracting as a writer at Valve and even went to work there in person (previously writer of Rime, The Invisible Hours, The Division) and said his work would be in an "upcoming product" on a podcast a while back (you'd have to sift through the video to hear more of his time there, not sure if he's still in and out), but he seems to hint at it being VR / Index related

Could be HL:A, could be ITVoG, who knows till one releases - but its consistent with having contracting writers, and its fairly commonplace many in most studios

Oct 27, 2017
Reading posts like these would make one think that Valve has been on a studio acquisition spree. In reality, they've acquired... 5? studios over twenty years (and two of these would later return to being independent when they decided it wasn't working). I'm also being super generous with the 5 studios number...
Other than Turtle Rock I can't think of any. Who's the other one that returned to being independent?

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of writing contractors, Rob Yescombe was contracting as a writer at Valve and even went to work there in person (previously writer of Rime, The Invisible Hours, The Division) and said his work would be in an "upcoming product" on a podcast a while back (you'd have to sift through the video to hear more of his time there, not sure if he's still in and out), but he seems to hint at it being VR / Index related

Could be HL:A, could be ITVoG, who knows till one releases - but its consistent with having contracting writers, and its fairly many in most studios

Oh god, I didn't realize they contract writers, how do I apply 👀

Ando

Apr 21, 2018
i wasn't that upset about valley of the gods, but now i am after reading duncan's thread

i don't think it's trampling over the views of the employees to acknowledge that they've all got very big pay rises from the choice to abandon the old "original story adventures" vision of campo santo and all become ordinary valve employees. lots of people in here would make the same choice if offered, but it's a shame.

Oct 27, 2017
i wasn't that upset about valley of the gods, but now i am after reading duncan's thread

i don't think it's trampling over the views of the employees to acknowledge that they've all got big pay rises from the choice to abandon the old goal of campo santo and become ordinary valve employees. lots of people in here would make the same choice if offered, but it's a shame.
This is way worse than just trampling over their views.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Campo showed a beautiful trailer for their new game and it got a very positive response, and then they decided to shelve the project? Can you think of a similar situation where a team showed a game, people reacted positively to it, and then they canned it?
yeah

like every hyped cancelled game ever

ya know

prey 2
deep down
scalebound
star wars 1313
silent hills (PT)
dead island 2