• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 29, 2018
Basically what I feared when they got acquired.

Hopefully the devs made the decision to work on something they're passionate about, but as someone not interested in Half Life I'm disappointed.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Firewatch is probably one of my favorite games of all time so this is a bummer.

But I'm happy the devs are happy and doing what they enjoy. More power to them.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
But buying off studios and then cancel their original games is not petty at all. Not like it means anything, but valve aint gonna see a penny from me.

This is the worst take in this entire thread. Congratulations 🥇

Edit: now that I think about it, the dubious honor is shared with that person who said working on a new Half Life couldn't possibly be something a developer would still be interested in.

Last edited:

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
fruGWKK.gif

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Disappointing, I rather have this than HL:A to be honest especially with HL losing the key people who made it in the first place. It's not even a sequel and looks to be VR exclusive.

Greg Coomer confirmed a third of the team are from the previous HL teams including from 21 years ago. Additionally even Laidlaw, the original writer who retired, is consulting - fulfilling his own wish to pass on the torch.

Do you even realise how insane that is for a company in this industry? Turnover at Valve is still one of the lowest out there.

And it absolutely is a full next step in the HL story regardless of "prequel" status, per Valve's dev team:

Zm5f9C4.jpg

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
While it is s<ad that the game is "on-hold", I see it as a win, mostly for the devs.
They themselves can continue working on it, but they choose working on Alyx for whatever reason, and I respect that decision.
And on the other hand, I'd rather have a new HL than ITVOTG. I understand that not all people think about it like that, but it is true for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Game is "put on hold"
Campo Santo people: "Working on Half Life is a dream for me, I'm so happy"
Era: "Fuck Valve for cancelling their game for them and burning all the assets so it can never be released"

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is what moving to Valve allowed them to do among other things

i don't think anyone is (or should be) mad at people for going to valve because, by all accounts, over a long period of time it seems like a great place to work. just as consumers it's kind of like a blackhole of talent in terms of games released

you can be happy for them as individuals and disappointed as a consumer at the same time

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd rather the developers be working on it if they wanted to work on it, rather than being forced to out of survival for the studio.

I'm disappointed, but if In The Valley of Gods does eventually come out, it will be a better game for it.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Not holding out any hope we'll see it. Makes it a nice surprise if they ever go back to it.

Another side effect of announcing it too early. Valve buyout or not, it seems they were too keen to share their new project before it was far enough along.

To be honest though, I've loved the Idle Thumbs folks for years, so as long as they're happy being on projects like Half Life, then great!

Milena

Oct 27, 2017
Half Life Alyx looks amazing, no wonder most would want to work on that.
And maybe if/when In the Valley of Gods will continue development, it will become a VR game as well.

As a recent Index owner, I'm amazed at the possibilies with VR games and I can't wait to see what Valve delivers with Alyx and their future projects.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017
if they're happy then it's fine

that said, this is disappointing news for someone who doesn't care about Half-Life or Dota. someone like me

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I can imagine that people would prefer to work on Half Life instead, and I understood it was all hands on deck for that game at Valve.

Disappointing to hear others working on dota and steam though. That doesn't at all sound like it was temporarily on hold while we work on this other thing, but rather the team has disbanded and the project shelved.

Fingerthing

Oct 27, 2017
I said from day one this would happen. It's still a bummer, though.
I pretty strongly dislike modern Valve, to put it in language that won't get me a warning.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I think, if they really left the project to go work on Half-Life of their own volition, then it really underscores what a bad work structure Valve has. "Follow your bliss" in a company setting leads to things not getting shipped on schedule and many projects half-built and abandoned.

Tell me how it is bad that employees have the opportunity to work on something they enjoy and not what the executives tell them to do.

Oh! You mean it is bad for YOU! gotcha.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
Let them work on what they want.

If anything, their work on HL:A will only help make Valley of Gods better (if they decide to revisit it)

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Any entitled gamers here like me who feel they deserve this game above the happiness of the developers? Oh yeah I can see plenty of you. <3

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I said from day one this would happen. It's still a bummer, though.
I pretty strongly dislike modern Valve, to put it in language that won't get me a warning.
Yeah Valve should brute force the devs to work on whatever the Valve Overlords demand! The Devs shall not have a free mind!

I guess you have only read the title and not the OP? Or how do you come to the conclusion that Valve is to blame?

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Welp, looks like all those people who were called trolls for saying this would happen when Valve bought them were just being realistic.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
It wouldn't shock me if what spurs them to revisit ITVOG is the chance to switch over to Source 2 (which seems to be getting better marks than Unity) and integrate a lot of the cool stuff that HL: Alyx has been doing.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So when people predicted this as soon as they were bought by valve you were a troll. When it was noted that the trailer was taken down and removed from people's profiles worrier's were over reacting to nothing. Now that it's happened it was never a good game any anyone should be #blessed that they get to work on half life over any other game in existence.

Deleted member 5129

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fact of the matter is Valve did not force them to do anything like this. They, each and everyone of them decided themselves that they'd rather work on Half-Life or something else for now.

I don't blame them, if I had the opportunity to work on a Half-Life title I'd jump on it in a heartbeat no matter what project I was currently on

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
So when people predicted this as soon as they were bought by valve you were a troll. When it was noted that the trailer was taken down and removed from people's profiles worrier's were over reacting to nothing. Now that it's happened it was never a good game any anyone should be #blessed that they get to work on half life over any other game in existence.

On-hold is not the same as cancelled, and quite a bit of the speculation in the previous thread was related to cancellation. Giving-up time to work on the new HL to then return to the game they've been working on previously is something I think everyone here would do if given the chance, so your complaining seems a bit disingenuous.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, looks like all those people who were called trolls for saying this would happen when Valve bought them were just being realistic.

Before this news and knowledge of HL:A it was just the usual speculation/doom and gloom around Valve.

But whatever. Gottem, am I right 😂

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Game is "put on hold"
Campo Santo people: "Working on Half Life is a dream for me, I'm so happy"
Era: "Fuck Valve for cancelling their game for them and burning all the assets so it can never be released"

I'm sure there are plenty of people at Criterion who love working on Battlefield. Or people at Beenox who are excited to be a part of Call of Duty.

I think that creative assimilation is a little off-putting. What comes to mind for me with Valve is Kim Swift leaving the studio to form a different one and make Quantum Conundrum, or Turtle Rock studios re-forming outside of Valve and making Evolve. This fits that pattern of me wondering if they will get that creative voice under the Valve umbrella.

Out 1

Oct 25, 2017

gamers doing damage control for Valve any big corporation is typical