• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nowadays, Independent developers respect games as an art form more than the major publishers

• I agree.

Votes: 53 8.1%
  • There are some games from major publishers that I consider as art, but not many.

Votes: 200 30.5%
  • I disagree.

Votes: 402 61.4%

• Total voters

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't get more AAA than RDR2 and it's one of the more artsy/artistic/artful video games of this generation

bad take, OP

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree OP. People seems to mix nice visuals or cinematic experience with art. I tend to disagree. Interactivity is the core of the videogame experience and where its art should stand.
That being said, I think Death Stranding or Journey are games that could be considered art. Also Mario Galaxy or Portal.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
What I'm saying is that big publishers view AAA games as commercial products first and foremost. If the games have artistic merit, that's nice. But making something that sells to a mass audience is always going to be the top priority. The primary goal is never going to be art.

Oh...you think indie devs don't like money? And that's the only way for anything to even be considered art?

slavesnyder

Oct 26, 2017
SlaveSnyder Media Corp.
games of a certain budget should appeal to the average consumer to minimize the risk of unrentability. therefore, it has ideally to be streamlined, bite-sized and market-research-supported. in the best case, it's a sequel. if the majority is happy to spend their budget on these entertainment entities, that's a win for everyone and the wonderful circle can start again through the miracle of re-investment.
and that's art.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Video games are applied arts like architecture, fashion, ceramic, jewellery. The balance between playability and aesthetic is specific to each games and dependent of the scale of the project - not reducible to one domain. I have played indie games hiding their mechanical misery behind hand-drawn illustrations, naive poetry or unimaginative stories in a symmetric way that AAA does it with mo'cap' and orchestral music. And this year we've had Control and Death Stranding, a lot of talented artists worked on both for two radical proposals.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is that big publishers view AAA games as commercial products first and foremost. If the games have artistic merit, that's nice. But making something that sells to a mass audience is always going to be the top priority. The primary goal is never going to be art.

I'm pretty sure that most people who make something and charge money for it sees it as a commercial product first and foremost, my dude. I'm not sure what your point is.

Deleted member 49319

Banned
Nov 4, 2018
The "game as art" discussion is almost never more than hobbyists' self-validation of the medium. Simply stop this...
It would be more meaningful to treat gaming as a cultural and POLITICAL phenomenon/platform first that can actually set a path for games to be relevant to the real art scene.

Also, stop calling AAA games soulless. you don't have to like certain games but please be respectful at least.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
it's pretty charitable to look back at the nes/snes library and find that most of the games are less monotonous and more diverse

OP
OP
OrdinaryUsername
Mar 31, 2018
Right, the good ones that stood the test of time? How bout the tons of cash ins that were also released at the time? It's easy to go back and cherry pick the good, just like you could 10 years from now in our current gen.
Cash-ins and less good games are of all times, that will never change. There are games that have also been monotonous and non-innovative in the past, but now the same is also the case.

I just see more and more noteworthy games that take over successful elements such as RPG-like upgrade systems. I also find pixel style more authentic, more personal than the photorealistic games that probably use stock textures. These are some of the reasons why I find a large part of the current assortment homogeneous.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
You've got to be fucking with us. Destiny 2? Ghost of Tsushima? God of War? Uncharted? Assassin's Creed Odyssey? Red Dead Redemption II? Breath of the Wild? Hell, Sony's studios are pretty much known for cranking out "cinematic" games these days.

Art is in the eyes of the beholder. You speak your opinion as if it's fact, when there is a plethora of evidence to point towards the opposite. There are plenty of AAA games that could be seen as art. Your standards just prevent you from seeing it, I guess.

I agree mostly with OP, but I don't completely disagree with you.

HOWEVER, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is about as cynical creation as one could have. It makes pop art & advertising look enlightening and insightful.

The Assassin's Creed series is about as artful as a Trump tweet.

Oct 25, 2017
I think a major problem with the video game industry is that amusement is often seen as the only valid emotional response a game can elicit. Criticism is hampered by the question "but was it fun?" Room is allowed for games which tell a somewhat sad story but only if their underlying mechanics are "fun".

The critical response to something like Pathologic 2 shows that the game industry just hasn't developed enough to accept games that don't fit certain models. Rather than considering that a lot of that game's design choices are intentionally there to elicit a particular response, they're written off for being "unfun". It's a problem other mediums have generally overcome—books like Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow are designed to be difficult but have largely come to be accepted. In film, Lynch found traction in the late 80s and 90s before struggling to find funding after Inland Empire...but then the culture came around in such a way that he was given free reign over an 18 hour tv "movie".

It's the one thing stumping games—even indie games—for developing as an art form. Hopefully as the medium matures it becomes more accepting of alternatives to the mould.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
You know NyaNeko I have been meaning to make a thread like this.

AAA games, especially in console space, barring a few exceptions and a couple of genres has pretty much stagnated as to what we do in games. They are not art because they seldom discuss the poignant aspects of life because if they do, it might hurt their bottom line in certain markets.

Let me put it in points (for AAA industry):

1. By virtue of genre, WRPG, some horror, simulation and racing are the ones where the main means of interaction with the world transcends lethal violence. Sans exceptions, killing is the primary way to solve conflict. Playing Jedi Fallen Order, it incensed me how most of the things in the world just want to kill Cal. So much potential simply wasted away.

2. AAA games' creator seldom talk about politics of their world, in fact, at times they pre-emptively and openly lie about their creations having deeply political messaging- be it diagetic or non-diagetic (like Activision, Obsidian, Ubisoft) so as to not to offend the GG cunts. By doing so, their publishers invite these scum fucking degenerates to represent the gaming culture by virtue of being the loudest voices.

3. Where are the games that tell us stories of the struggles of the current age like climate change, racism, bigotry, war survival without wrapping them in layers of fiction to the point where they seem like any other fantasy/sci-fi derivative nonsense where, again, the player will most likely interact with the world by killing. After all, thinking of Cyberpunk, this image comes to mind:

ofma99esu3931.jpg

AA games like Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice and Plague Tale Innocence cut through a lot of bullshit to tell stories about mental illness contextualized within a world bereft of medical care of the present and a survivor's tale.

In console space, Playstation has been home to a few AAA titles that speak to the struggles of our times like sexual and gender minority representation and endorsement, toxic masculinity, AI warfare and greed and the role of a man. Sometimes, the attempt is hamfisted but I am glad they exist.

I think R* deserves credit for developing games that, while not being WRPGs, give players multiple ways to engage with the world, including non-lethal ones and provides notable metacommentary.

For me, art is not about the visual style or flair of a game but rather what it has to say, through whom or who they say it, how relevant or banal it is and how the game conveys its messaging. It is why games like Planescape Torment have endured.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure that most people who make something and charge money for it sees it as a commercial product first and foremost, my dude. I'm not sure what your point is.
Hard disagree. There are absolutely people that create art for art's sake first an foremost (even if they desire to be financially supported by their work). Think about the difference between an experimental film with no traditional narrative structure (maybe a David Lynch or Terrance Malick film) and a Marvel Cinematic Universe movie. One is made to make as much money and to play to the widest audience possible and the other isn't. Every artist wants an audience for their work, but money absolutely isn't the primary driver for everyone.

Imagine if a director pitched the equivalent of a Terrance Malick film in terms of aesthetic/theme/structure to Marvel Studios because they thought it would have a significant impact as a work of art. There's just no way in hell that movie would get made. It's way too weird and risky, and would inevitably piss off a certain percentage of viewers no matter what. Making games/films/whatever that focus on commercial viability inherently constrains the creators to safe creative decisions that will appeal to the widest possible audience. If making something with artistic merit is your main goal you're likely to end up with a different experience than if commercial viability is your main goal.

ChristianM

Mar 21, 2018
Sweden
Eh, Undertale got pretty meta with some of its mechanics. It's not a massive focus but it's an important part of the game.

Sorry, I should not have quoted Undertale since I have not actually played it. My bad.

Gris I think perfectly makes your point. Probably the only innovative thing about Gris from a player perspective is the art. Outside of that it's a basic puzzle platformer with and okay story.

I think the same thing applies for Inside. It's an average puzzle platformer that's elevated to greatness thanks to it's art direction, sound etc.

As for journey. It's a really basic game that comes to life thanks to it's fantastic presentation.

I think it's good these kind of games exist. They are entertaining games and in my opinion well worth experiencing. But they excel in the things I find the least interesting in games.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost all entertainment is some form of self-expression. Sometimes this self-expression is managed by corporates but allowing such a thing is itself a part of the creator's self-expression. How is that not art?

I consider art a very few little things. Not all movies are art, not all music. I know it maybe wrong by definition but it's the way I feel it.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I think a major problem with the video game industry is that amusement is often seen as the only valid emotional response a game can elicit. Criticism is hampered by the question "but was it fun?" Room is allowed for games which tell a somewhat sad story but only if their underlying mechanics are "fun".

The critical response to something like Pathologic 2 shows that the game industry just hasn't developed enough to accept games that don't fit certain models. Rather than considering that a lot of that game's design choices are intentionally there to elicit a particular response, they're written off for being "unfun". It's a problem other mediums have generally overcome—books like Ulysses or Gravity's Rainbow are designed to be difficult but have largely come to be accepted. In film, Lynch found traction in the late 80s and 90s before struggling to find funding after Inland Empire...but then the culture came around in such a way that he was given free reign over an 18 hour tv "movie".

It's the one thing stumping games—even indie games—for developing as an art form. Hopefully as the medium matures it becomes more accepting of alternatives to the mould.
There is also the problem where many don't think a game that was fun can be good if it dares to be too obvious with its messaging, which seems to vary greatly as many manage to somehow miss the messaging in Kojima games constantly, because "its just a game" so obviously shouldn't try to have a meaningful message.

OP
OP
OrdinaryUsername
Mar 31, 2018

HOWEVER, Assassin's Creed Odyssey is about as cynical creation as one could have. It makes pop art & advertising look enlightening and insightful.

I've played several Assassin's Creed games, but never for long because I got tired of too much content. Argument your opinion, demonstrate it and then maybe you can change my opinion. I'm really looking forward to it.

I love history and I think it's great that the series does a lot with it, but I've never really thought very deeply about these games.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
Indie games definitely get overrated from time to time but so do games from the big publishers. I think that indie games can help fuel the creative juices of the larger publishers. A lot of AAA games do seem similar to one another but that is actually a good thing because it means that we have reached a point where a lot of games have very broad appeal which means everyone is happy. I used to hate the photo realistic graphics of AAA games, considering them to be "too serious in a medium that is supposed to be here for escapism" It is actually a reason I sold my previous PS4. That was a few years ago, but after playing nothing but indie games on iOS and Switch in those two years I began to miss the quality of the AAA games released on console and PC. You can't say that a game like Horizon Zero Dawn isn't a work of art. Maybe you can, but you would face some push back. In the end, I think that gaming is at a point where we are going to start seeing the influence of indie games bleed into AAA game development and a few years from now this sentiment will be mostly dead among gamers.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
I've played older games with younger children from the 16-bit period. First we played Sonic and Street Fighter II on a Sega Mega Drive. My fellow player didn't understand it at all and didn't like it. After that, we played Streets of Rage II together and he had more fun because he often "accidentally" attacked me. However, he missed his Playstation 4, which he found "much more fun". Another day I played on my SNES with another younger child. We played Super Soccer and in the end he enjoyed it too. He did complain about the "ugly graphics" and said he liked FIFA much better. The other SNES games were less of a success with him.

I didn't grow up in the NES/SNES/Master system generation and was too young to really experience the Playstation 1/Nintendo 64/Genesis/Saturn generation. I grew up with Game Boy (Advance) and Playstation 2 games. However, as time went on, I became more and more fond of older games, perhaps because of my previous hobby as a video game programmer. I miss the charm and diversity that games used to have and consider a very large proportion of today's games to be "soulless" and "monotonous".

I find it very unfortunate that today's children may never appreciate the classic games. They are used to micro transactions, lootboxes, very expensive skins, GAAS and boring photorealistic graphics. AAA games are increasingly difficult to distinguish from each other, don't want to innovate and are chasing trends and other games. One of the few games that, in my opinion, still have the soul and charm are those of independent developers.

Thank God they exist! The independent developers are now the only ones who understand that games should be an art form. Inside, Journey, Gris, Undertale and so much more... I really respect the indie developer who has to survive with few resources and compete against giants who get the biggest successes with huge budgets and marketing campaigns. There are also games with a larger budget that pursue artistry, such as Death Stranding, but unfortunately these are very scarce.

Until the HD generation came along, there was hardly any distinction between large publishers and independent developers among consumers. They could compete with each other and both experimented with unique games. But since the major publishers needed ever larger budgets and were striving for ever better graphics, the independent developers had to take a subordinate position. The big publishers played it safe and refused to really experiment. Their games are often only really innovative in terms of technical and graphic performance. Their range of games is becoming increasingly homogeneous and similar, both in terms of gameplay and art style, which was not the case in the past. Money comes first at the big studios.

I think it's a real shame that most self-proclaimed "gamers" mainly play the, in their words, only "AAA games" and call indie games "overrated". Yes, I used to pay too little attention to indie games in the past, because the games of the big studios get all the attention. However, I'm beginning to lose interest in the medium because of the lack of unique experiences. Indie-games can make me love gaming in general again.

With unchecked hypercapitalism, there's no room for art in general.

Change my mind: Find a recent game from a major publisher that you consider to be art. There is also room for discussion.

This is my personal opinion, be free to have another opinion.
The last guardian, Erica

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Easy there, Ebert. There are many expressions of creativity in a video game and to claim it isn't art? Art does not need a deeper meaning and can definitely be crafted by a corporate entity.

Even the lack of creativity is an artistic expression.

Last edited:

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
Every part of a game can be art and as such i can't agree with you. Gameplay, music, voice acting, story-telling, athmosphere ... . There are so much way to express art in a game that it is hard to deny this qualification even for those AAA you are not fond of.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can guarantee at least half of the old games you mentioned were not considered to be art by their creators. Your post is weird and inconsistent with an unclear definition of what you mean by the word art

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow as somebody very close to some of the artists working on this game I hope none of them are reading this thread. Have you seen some concept arts of this game? The artblasts on artstation? How is that not "art" ??

It's not art because I don't like the annual release cycle of course. /s

I remember reading a post a while ago from a dude who was going to bring a girl back to his flat and wanted to sit her down with Super Mario World and show her the evolution of games as an art form as a first date. Can't find it now, but I found it pretty funny.

With unchecked hypercapitalism, there's no room for art in general.

...and other things 18 year olds say in their first political debate club.

Last edited:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What if I told you that the thing you call art and miss in those games you played is actually called nostalgia? There's more art in today's big games than there ever was 20y ago.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
could not disagree more with just about everything that was said in the OP. From deriding photorealistic graphics as boring to putting gamers in quotation marks.

The whole post stinks of posturing.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Prey 2017, Dishonored and Metro Exodus are work of art.

/Shrug.

You know NyaNeko I have been meaning to make a thread like this.

AAA games, especially in console space, barring a few exceptions and a couple of genres has pretty much stagnated as to what we do in games. They are not art because they seldom discuss the poignant aspects of life because if they do, it might hurt their bottom line in certain markets.

Let me put it in points (for AAA industry):

1. By virtue of genre, WRPG, some horror, simulation and racing are the ones where the main means of interaction with the world transcends lethal violence. Sans exceptions, killing is the primary way to solve conflict. Playing Jedi Fallen Order, it incensed me how most of the things in the world just want to kill Cal. So much potential simply wasted away.

2. AAA games' creator seldom talk about politics of their world, in fact, at times they pre-emptively and openly lie about their creations having deeply political messaging- be it diagetic or non-diagetic (like Activision, Obsidian, Ubisoft) so as to not to offend the GG cunts. By doing so, their publishers invite these scum fucking degenerates to represent the gaming culture by virtue of being the loudest voices.

3. Where are the games that tell us stories of the struggles of the current age like climate change, racism, bigotry, war survival without wrapping them in layers of fiction to the point where they seem like any other fantasy/sci-fi derivative nonsense where, again, the player will most likely interact with the world by killing. After all, thinking of Cyberpunk, this image comes to mind:

ofma99esu3931.jpg

AA games like Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice and Plague Tale Innocence cut through a lot of bullshit to tell stories about mental illness contextualized within a world bereft of medical care of the present and a survivor's tale.

In console space, Playstation has been home to a few AAA titles that speak to the struggles of our times like sexual and gender minority representation and endorsement, toxic masculinity, AI warfare and greed and the role of a man. Sometimes, the attempt is hamfisted but I am glad they exist.

I think R* deserves credit for developing games that, while not being WRPGs, give players multiple ways to engage with the world, including non-lethal ones and provides notable metacommentary.

For me, art is not about the visual style or flair of a game but rather what it has to say, through whom or who they say it, how relevant or banal it is and how the game conveys its messaging. It is why games like Planescape Torment have endured.

Somewhere in alternate world, exist the exact same thread but with this write-up as OP, which (I imagine) lead to a much better discussion.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I can agree to the extent that indie developers generally have more freedom to experiment and "feel around" for new ways to do stuff in video games. But to say there isnt signficant, impactful art in stuff like the simulation aspects of RDR or the acting in TLOU or the narrative of MGS2 is not being holistic in their view of art. This is honed craft, from the best in the business (so to speak)

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I can't get over that this was posted by someone named "NyaNeko" with a loli catgirl avatar. lol

Comparing developers, indie or not, to publishers is kind of silly. Of course developers care more about the game as art than the publishers. There are big name publishers involved artful games, whatever your definition is, and there are indie devs who are mindlessly throwing shit together without any real purpose or message. But indie games are in such massive abundance that I couldn't possibly quantify how many are art and how many aren't.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Technically, all games are art, whether or not they fit own personal definition.

Indie games have more freedom to be experimental and "arty" - which is what I think you're trying to say - but that doesn't mean that developers for big "AAA" projects are't also being artistic.
Making big budget games requires a well coordinated machine of people with various skills, but there are still creative people behind it all. Break down how some of your favourite music and films are made and you will also find "soullessness".

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
If you think Sony is giving the big studios $150 mil+ budgets to create art without heavy, heavy, consideration about the commercial viability of the games beforehand then you're wrong. And frankly, it would be irresponsible not to consider that aspect of the games. Hundreds of jobs are on the line at each AAA studio if a game underperforms.
Like, im not even defending the post you quoted (cinematic =/= art) but something created for it to be comercially viable or the artist did it to make money doesnt mean that thing isnt art.
Just look at how artists worked in the renaissance era.
Heck movies and literature are the most apt descriptions and equally right now to videogames.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
If you strongly connect art with personal expression, then I can see where you're coming from.

A game created by just a few individuals usually feels a lot more personal and original than the super products made by a committee and 500 designers.

That's not the definition of art though.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
There's no content to this line of argument beyond "things I don't like aren't art". All games, from the tiniest indie to the biggest AAA, are shaped by commercial considerations, practical constraints, personal whims, etc. Attempting to parse out the relative contributions of each from outside the development process is impossible and would be a waste of time even if it weren't.

If you want to argue that indie games are more interesting or more innovative than AAAs, then just argue that.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Going through the games that I like the most this year. Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Untitled Goose Game.

I agree that a focused artistic vision is accomplished the most under a smaller studio, no doubt.

The bigger studios tend to committee and test group their ideas, because they can't stand to have a big studio title fail. I can see in that case where artistic vision can be thrown away in favor of greater appeal.

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

I have a lot to say about this horrendous take, but for the sake of civility, I'll limit myself to saying I disagree strongly.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like, im not even defending the post you quoted (cinematic =/= art) but something created for it to be comercially viable or the artist did it to make money doesnt mean that thing isnt art.
Just look at how artists worked in the renaissance era.
Heck movies and literature are the most apt descriptions and equally right now to videogames.
I'm not saying that either. I'm saying that commercialism constrains the creators' possibility space to one that is most likely to to make money (i.e. already understood to be appealing to audiences). Works that are non traditional or push boundaries are less likely to be created by entities that are primarily concerned with turning a profit because their performance is far less forecastable. These more commercial works can still have artistic merit though!

Hawkster

Alt account
Banned
Mar 23, 2019
You know, if a lot of you wanted to say AAA games are shitty and people have bad taste for playing them, you could just say so in PM instead.

Do we really need more threads about how AAA games are actually "bad"?

ecnal

Oct 27, 2017
Disagree with the premise on whole.

There's nothing less artistic about commercial art.

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I also find pixel style more authentic, more personal than the photorealistic games that probably use stock textures. These are some of the reasons why I find a large part of the current assortment homogeneous.

There's nothing more "authentic" or "personal" about either art style. You sound like a 16-year-old trying to be deep.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Art to me is Dante having 108 unique movesets that's you can potentially use on the fly, in real time, without pausing and going through menus.

You have to be absolutely crazy and ingenious to include that in your game when only 1% of the player base can appreciate it.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
I struggle with considering some games art when they become inundated with commercialization and monetization mechanics, but that's just my own opinion.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You've got to be fucking with us. Destiny 2? Ghost of Tsushima? God of War? Uncharted? Assassin's Creed Odyssey? Red Dead Redemption II? Breath of the Wild? Hell, Sony's studios are pretty much known for cranking out "cinematic" games these days.

Art is in the eyes of the beholder. You speak your opinion as if it's fact, when there is a plethora of evidence to point towards the opposite. There are plenty of AAA games that could be seen as art. Your standards just prevent you from seeing it, I guess.

Wow this is a really interesting post. All of those games I would consider to be not pushing games forwards as an art medium, except BotW.

It's not that I'm snobby about games as art or anything, I just find the artistry in games to be about mechanics and gameplay. Like if Parasite was a video game but barely interactive, I wouldn't consider a good example of games as art. Anything involving cinematography or direction feels like its more about film than unique to games as an artform.

I don't think taking a frame from a movie and hanging it in a museum could be called digital photographic art. So it feels weird to consider a game's artistry on qualities not unique to games.