• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Hamster have announced their latest batch of Arcade Archives series titles for Nintendo Switch including the Konami shooter Scramble, the Taito action game Time Tunnel was also announced, along with Nintendo's Golf game, SNK's top-down shoot 'em up T.A.N.K (TNK III), Irem's shoot 'em up Kaitei Daisensou (In the Hunt), Konami's VS. Castlevania (which is a harder port of the NES game), Nintendo's action game Balloon Fight, and Konami's cute 'em up Detana!! TwinBee.

source: https://japanesenintendo.com/2019/09/15/scramble-and-more-coming-to-switch/ via Hamster

Full list:
- Scramble
- Time Tunnel
- Nintendo's Golf
- T.A.N.K (TNK III)
- Kaitei Daisensou (In the Hunt)
- VS. Castlevania
- Balloon Fight
- Detana!! TwinBee

just a reminder what "in the Hunt" is:

qYsWFQu.gif

CaScZBa.gif

iM0LquL.gif

hbFWEam.gif

One of the best shmups ever. The team later worked on Metal Slug.
Prepare to die A LOT.

Lock and Hunt me down if old

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I have the Saturn port of In The Hunt and that has some crazy slowdown, this is definitely interesting. I wish they'd just release a physical Arcade Archives though, that would be awesome.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
In the Hunt and Gunforce 1&2 are Metal Slug predecessors. In the Hunt in particular is very unique because it's a submarine-based shump with Metal Slug graphics. Get it if you can, guys.

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I remember being fascinated by in the Hunt back in the days.
But the game seems way too much hard for me lol

It's a real toughy but, to be fair, you get used to the on-screen chaos pretty fast. pretty much like Metal Slug.

I have the Saturn port of In The Hunt and that has some crazy slowdown, this is definitely interesting. I wish they'd just release a physical Arcade Archives though, that would be awesome.

The saturn port was such a downer. The PS1 version runs (oddly enough) way better in comparison.

Maybe Hamster releases some Arcade Archives compilations on cartridge one day.
At least Zero Divine gives us physical shmup action on switch in the mean time.
ovJZNfT.jpg

WNZrwai.jpg

jlRY1re.jpg

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, In The Hunt. I've heard a lot about it & how it basically inspired Metal Slug considering it's by the same guy. Super cool to see that getting a re-release.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh, In The Hunt. I had to sell my Saturn copy years ago (a sad story,) and will be glad to play it again.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Was Mr Heli by Irem? Would love that to get a release. In the hunt is lovely but I'm old and impatient so will probably skip due to difficulty

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Was Mr Heli by Irem? Would love that to get a release. In the hunt is lovely but I'm old and impatient so will probably skip due to difficulty

It was!

There are quite a few Irem games already on Arcade Archives, including Image Fight, Ninja Spirit and X-Multiply just to name a few, so I don't doubt Mr. Heli will arrive at some point too.

Still no classic R-Type, though.

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It was!

There are quite a few Irem games already on Arcade Archives, including Image Fight, Ninja Spirit and X-Multiply just to name a few, so I don't doubt Mr. Heli will arrive at some point too.

huh? Arcade R-Type 1 and 2 (doublepack) have both been released on switch months ago. the buttugly 2.5D versions included.
source: myself

X-Multiply is a must buy for shmup fans. It's soo weird and unique. a true gem

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
huh? Arcade R-Type 1 and 2 (doublepack) have both been released on switch months ago. the buttugly 2.5D versions included.

I'm talking about the authentic arcade versions, not Dimensions.

Dimensions is fine and probably preferable to most people but there's no substitute for the genuine game.

Hamster's also been promising R-Type for years now, which is why its absence is so conspicuous.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
I missed this news but I had been hoping for a long time that In The Hunt made it.

Now we need Hamster to bring R-Type Leo and especially Konami's Xexex home.

Not to mention the original R-Type as a stand alone release, which they already announced last year.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017

X-Multiply is a must buy for shmup fans. It's soo weird and unique. a true gem
Speaking of X-Multiply, it's somehow sub-60fps on Switch. I looked up PS4 footage and that was in 60.

Hamster did something and I'm not impressed.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Man, Switch is crazy with these shmups. I'm not good at them, but I love playing them as a tourist with infinite credits.

kidnemo

Dec 11, 2017
I love in the hunt! Was the arcade version filled with slowdown too or just the home ports?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
In The Hunt is so great but it absolutely needs the incredible PS1 OST.

BTW I wish someone would make another sub SHMUP like In the Hunt and Hunt for Red October.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Very nice! I missed this news, but In The Hunt is one of the shmups I always play if I see it in an arcade.
Actually played a couple of credits at that Warehouse Kawasaki arcade after TGS a couple of weeks ago!

BTW I wish someone would make another sub SHMUP like In the Hunt and Hunt for Red October.
Agreed! I have always loved underwater/submarine stuff in games but there really aren't enough of them!

One of my favorite hidden gems on PS2 is -U- Underwater Unit which is a pretty good 3D submarine shmup/action game.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Speaking of X-Multiply, it's somehow sub-60fps on Switch. I looked up PS4 footage and that was in 60.

According to MAME, X-Multiply runs at 55 hz. The game would have be speed up around 10% for it to run at 60 hz. Many old arcade games run at exotic framerates.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
It was!

There's R-Types on the Switch. Has R-Type 1 and 2 with remixed and classic graphics/OST. There's also a demo available.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
There's R-Types on the Switch. Has R-Type 1 and 2 with remixed and classic graphics/OST. There's also a demo available.

Again, it's not the original, authentic arcade game. I'm not saying it's bad or that some won't prefer that version, but one doesn't replace the other.

May 10, 2019
Still holding out hope for Arcade Archives Ninja Baseball Bat Man. Also rare late 80's Konami stuff that's not under a cloud of licensing like Crime Fighters and Dark Adventure and Devastators that never got re-released on consoles.

The late 80's Konami stuff was planned to be released for the Xbox 360 Game Room, but besides Devastators, they didn't make it out before the project ended.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

X-Multiply is inherently a 55hz game, so if it's truly running at 60fps with no repeated frames on PS4 then it's running 9% too fast. I have Image Fight on Switch and the arcade game ran on the same hardware, and it has the necessary and unfortunate frame stutter that I would expect from an Irem M72 game on a modern console.

Boogiepop

Oct 25, 2017
Man, wish we could get Super Punch-out already before like, Golf...

(Just never played that one and would like to.)

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Again, it's not the original, authentic arcade game. I'm not saying it's bad or that some won't prefer that version, but one doesn't replace the other.
It has an original arcade mode. Whether it's 100% authentic or not, I'm not sure. I bought it, and it certainly feels like R-Type. It's also incredibly difficult and I have no idea how anyone could be that game normally.

OP
OP
iamaustrian

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
It has an original arcade mode. Whether it's 100% authentic or not, I'm not sure. I bought it, and it certainly feels like R-Type. It's also incredibly difficult and I have no idea how anyone could be that game normally.

Yeah, its tough as nails.
Thats the "good" thing about Super R-Type for snes (my fav r-type). Its slows down so badly (literally like a slideshow)that it actually helps you a lot in avoiding bullets'n enemies. Lol

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
X-Multiply is inherently a 55hz game, so if it's truly running at 60fps with no repeated frames on PS4 then it's running 9% too fast. I have Image Fight on Switch and the arcade game ran on the same hardware, and it has the necessary and unfortunate frame stutter that I would expect from an Irem M72 game on a modern console.
Seriously. It looked like 30-40.