• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
Id be down to watch a kojima animated movie. I'm sure the visuals would not disappoint.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Almost every game I've played of his - I've always thought he could do with an editor to help him trim the fat. Movies being considerably shorter than games, mostly, I wish him and whoever gets the editing job, well. Not that I am saying there wasn't an editor on his games. I'm sure there was but you know they went long in places.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I think biggest issue will be money. Movie industry doesn't really write blank checks (well, Netflix does). Hell, Martin Scorsese had to go hat in hand to beg money for Silence. If Kojima aims big there will no doubt be multiple people telling him what to do, this might be good or bad thing.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
"You will feel ashamed of your words & deeds"

I think he lost a lood of goodwill with MGSV.
He definitely lost the benefit of the doubt sexism-wise to me.

But even when "the serious talk about atomic weapons which are very bad don't you know" in MGS3 was sandwiched between Snake and a woman whith her shirt open to her belly shadow puppeting sexual intercourses.

I mean, I'd prefer a game designed by Kojima but written by someone else. Writing is his weak point. Deasiging is his strong.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Watch as he snacth the rights to the metal gear movie, and then make it the actual chapter 3.

But honestly, Guilherme dele Toro loves him already, so

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I definitely think he has great visual flair for film. But I really hope he gets a good writer if he does make the leap. MGSV and MSGIV have been terrible, and I'm not encouraged by Death Stranding so far.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm ok with this! I've always thought it's the story-telling that makes Kojima's games special.

GillianSeed79

Oct 27, 2017
In the BBC1 documentary on Death Stranding he said that he believes streaming and streaming services are the future of gaming and that games will have to compete with movies and TV on that level so it makes that he wants to make films. I think he imagines a future where say on Netflix or Hulu you are not only going to be streaming movies and TV but games as well, so he feels they are going to to competing even more with those mediums.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
But honestly, Guilherme dele Toro loves him already, so

I'm convinced that del Toro and these other actors and directors have never played his games, since they don't have a clue how sexist and exploitative Kojima can be.

Heck, a few of del Toro's movies have had themes of anti-sexism in them. I'd think he'd he'd be embarrassed if he was more aware of Kojima's portrayal of women.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
source0.gif

But seriously, with Death Stranding, the man did make a lot of connections with people from movie industry. This is logical next step.

Neoraxis

Nov 27, 2017
A whole game like MGSV prologue but you can also watch it in the theater if you want, he said he wanted to bring movies and games even closer with the next project.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy the Spirits Within nearly killed Square. And the movie wasn't even half-bad.

I'm . . . not sure this is a good idea.

Cugel

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 7, 2017
Yeahhhh... he has a very good eye for visuals but has super heavy handed writing with kindergarden symbolism (IMO, don't want to offend his fan army). If he gets a GOOD co-writer this could work.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
"If a person can do one thing well, then they should be able to do anything well."

A sneek peak for what one can expect from his writting

Kojima needs a writter and an editor

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
I'd watch a Silent Hills movie by Kojima (especially if Del Toro produces), I suppose.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I think he would make a good film director, as long as he's also not the screenwriter. Don't know how well he would handle actors though but he certainly has an eye for how to stage scenes and action. At this point though, I think a lot for game directors and studios can lay claim to that.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
He is certainly at a stage in his career where he should be able to do what he wants project wise but I don't think myself I'd be as interested in a Kojipro movie vs. a Kojipro game (with lots of cutscenes). I like to have my cake and eat it too I guess lol.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We have decades of examples of his game writing and film-like cutscenes; people are commenting on whether that would translate well to film.

Like I get that some people are being rude here, but do you guys want people to not discuss the man and his past work or something? Thread full of "go for it!" is all that is acceptable to you?
... i mean, we will never know if he can make good movie if he dont try at first

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oh god no. Is the implication that Kojima would be the auteur? I think one of the takeaways from the DS response is that even game critics have grown past his storytelling shtick. Film critics are way more critical, and film standards are way higher. He'll get eaten alive.
it will be glorious.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I'm convinced that del Toro and these other actors and directors have never played his games, since they don't have a clue how sexist and exploitative Kojima can be.

Heck, a few of del Toro's movies have had themes of anti-sexism in them. I'd think he'd he'd be embarrassed if he was more aware of Kojima's portrayal of women.
Would you say he'd be ashamed with his words and deeds

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Kojima's recognition is definitely a "big fish in a small pond" type of thing. No one else in the videogame industry really strives to create border-line movies in the same way that he does. Very few games have a combination of "good production value" and "interesting writing".

The second he steps into the actual film world I think he will get destroyed. Kojima has talent, but he hasn't been honing it as an actual filmmaker and director. Videogame fans can put up with garbage writing and iffy acting because the bar is generally very low.