• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What would you prefer?

• Colorful

Votes: 49 16.0%
  • Gritty

Votes: 98 31.9%
  • There is no next F-ZERO game OP, what the fuck.

Votes: 160 52.1%

• Total voters

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest I'd like them to go for a totally new art-style. I'm thinking something that tries to recreate the spirit of mid-90's vector graphics. Something really retro-futuristic would be a cool direction for F-Zero. I could even see them adding elements of Thumper into the gameplay to make it a hybrid rhythm/racing game. Go crazy with it.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with either art style, but I really want the soundtrack to follow X's style. It was the best direction to modernize the classic tracks and add new ones.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Ignoring the fact that F-Zero has sadly been put out to pasture, the answer is gritty like GX.

Hell just give me a GX remake with online multiplayer.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldnt call it colourful nor girtty, but I would go with the artsyle used in the SNES F-Zero manual
f-zero.original.jpg

But of course, with all the new characters the rest of the series added on.

What we really need to get rid of GX, and the only thing i really didnt like from that game, is the electro music.
X and Climax style, or super eurobeat with Takenobu adding some crazy lyrics to each of the cups final track.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Some tracks can be gritty but some tracks should be "blue sky" too.

Oct 27, 2017
Whatever aesthetic fits the Melee version of Mute City is what I want
Best track and best rendition of an F-Zero track PERIOD

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
There will never be another F Zero. Hell Nintendo has not made another Wii Sports type game when it was so successful.

Following their trend I bet they shelve Animal Crossing since it has been so good this gen.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I wouldnt call it colourful nor girtty, but I would go with the artsyle used in the SNES F-Zero manual
f-zero.original.jpg

But of course, with all the new characters the rest of the series added on.

What we really need to get rid of GX, and the only thing i really didnt like from that game, is the electro music.
X and Climax style, or super eurobeat with Takenobu adding some crazy lyrics to each of the cups final track.

This right here.
Also while X is gritty GX is far from it. GX is uncompromised DC era Sega weirdness.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
This right here.
Also while X is gritty GX is far from it. GX is uncompromised DC era Sega weirdness.
I suppose the OP means by gritty the darker palette used in most of the racetracks and charater styles (going for realistic depictions, and things like Deathborn denitetly looks gritty and edgy). Its not gritty in themes or characters behaviour at all lol
And then some racetracks like Big Blue looks sega blue skies clean.

Adathir

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt we will ever see a new F-Zero game again. At this point I would be happy having a collection of the series on Switch.

I honestly didn't know they had MK8 tracks for it and that actually annoys me more. They know there is a demand but they are happier just making bits of dlc instead of a proper game.

Sevvybgoode

Oct 29, 2017
I think both looks are valid evolutions of the F-Zero X artstyle but I vastly prefer how the tracks look in MK8DX. I really only like the gameplay in GX, both the artstyle and the music were not what I personally wanted from a follow up to X.
This is me. I loved GX but not to the same standard as the SNES or in particular X on N64.

I'd really love a sequel to x with far less visual distraction than GX had in the scenery and more cars on screen. Hell bring back battle mode and make it an online battle royal with 100 cars on a track.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gimme the grit and techno soundtrack, I hate the Jazz theme they used in MK8, espicially that blooming saxophone player.

Deleted member 14312

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd want whatever aesthetic is necessary to make futuristic racing games financially viable rather than demanding anything in particular.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I don't care what it looks like, I just want to play something that feels like GX again.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
The next F-Zero is gonna have the style and aesthetic of Cowboy Bebop. Captain Falcon is a grizzled old vet who's just hopping from race to race looking for the next winnings. His days of bounty hunting are long over.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Make it moderately realistic. It basically looks like Power Rangers right now which is fine. It's extremely stupid and all of the characters in F-Zero are awful, but the semi-realistic graphics help to portray what is important: the thrilling speed and twisting insanity of the tracks.

Also
Ignoring that not making a fully new F-ZERO game after this is lowkey anti-consumer,

Insert the biggest eye roll of all time here

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I never once thought of GX as gritty. Heck, it's one of the campiest games I've ever played. Look up some of the post race interviews or endings for the racers.

riq

Feb 21, 2019
I never once thought of GX as gritty. Heck, it's one of the campiest games I've ever played. Look up some of the post race interviews or endings for the racers.

I still don't know how to feel about the Gomar and Shioh one.

I think the best of both worlds would be a soft remake of the OG and prequel to X, using the SNES artstyle with modern graphics, and story wise showcasing the events that happened before X.
The game starts colorful and midway through the great crash happens, unlocking cups taking place during the underground races era, with grittier environments and soundtrack.

We ain't getting that ever. At this point I don't believe in ever getting an upscaled GX port tbh. On Switch, not even emulation. 60fps + special effects tied to GC hardware like the heat waves in Sand Ocean make it a remarkably difficult title to emulate properly, and I'd rather the franchise stay dead than a butchered port.