• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was Ferris Boyle justified in what he did?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 57 71.3%
  • You are not sending me to the cooler

Votes: 14 17.5%

• Total voters

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm talking about Mr. Freeze's origin story

The reason Boyle confronted Victor was because he was defrauding money from his company. Granted, Fries did that to save his wife, but everyone has to admit that Boyle was justified in trying to stop a guy from stealing money from his business.

While it's true that Boyle caused an accident that turned Victor Fries into Mr. Freeze, the reason he pushed Fries into the machine was because Victor threated him with a gun. It was pure self-defense and Boyle was justified in defending himself.

Yes he was a dick, but legally speaking the only wrong thing Boyle did was the aftermath by trying to cover up exactly what happened.

Last edited:

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I'm talking Mr. Freeze's origin story

The reason Boyle confronted Victor was because he was defrauding money from his company. Granted, Fries did that to save his wife, but everyone has to admit that Boyle was justified in trying to stop a guy from stealing money from his business.

While it's true that Boyle caused an accident that turned Victor Fries into Mr. Freeze, the reason he pushed Fries into the machine was because Victor THREATHENED HIM WITH A GUN. It was pure self-defense and Boyle was justified in defending himself.

Yes he was a dick, but legally speaking the only wrong thing Boyle did was the aftermath by trying to cover up exactly what happened.

Boyle was going to unplug his wife and surely lead her to die.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Legal doesn't mean moral. He was willing to kill a woman.

Also, Fries had obviously lowered the gun and wasn't going to shoot. Boyle was a millionaire that didn't care about people, just like most millionaires.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
latest

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
man people really suck at seeing the difference between laws and morality

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Legally he did VIRTUALLY nothing wrong.

Morally he could have told Freis to get her out of her by the end of the week or something.

Given Freis some opportunity to make sure Nora would at least die of natural causes rather than just instantly die.

The company was at least a multi million dollar affair. They could have at least down something like that. Instead he basically threatened, with intent, to murder Freis wife in front of him.

Which BTW is still illegal. It would be like telling a person who ran out of money for a coma patient "Yeah we're just going to unplug them right now, sorry not sorry."

Freis isn't a saint in the situation but Boyle played the whole situation wrong and created a supervillian in the process.

geomon

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
We're taking the sides of corporate sleaze bags now who literally tried to kill two people. This can't be a serious thread.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
"Legally"
Yes.

But:
Victor stole from a millionaire, who wanted to murder his wife, and the research could have been most useful in the future to further treat others of the same disease. But you know, "muh company profits muh money".

Fuck him. Victor was in the right.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Arkham Origins' Cold Cold Heart had the right idea by saying Boyle was a criminal/arms dealer behind his public image, and was using Victor all along to get his cryo tech.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Dude built a new breakthrough medical device worth billions and he was mad that he didn't approve it first so he was going to shut it down at the cost of fries wife.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
edit: I've had a weird habit of sharing personal stories on this site that are too personal. Anyway Freeze was right.

Last edited:

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Like, from a character standpoint, sure. From his perspective everything he's doing is fine. It makes sense that he'd do the things he does. It's not like he's viewing himself as the bad guy, he's got a way to justify what he's doing.

Consider that no one considers themselves the bad guy. Every evil person who's done every terrible thing has some way to explain it away. Some way to tell themselves "what I'm doing is fine". Just because you can find their justification, does it make what they're doing right?

And then ask yourself - even if you accept that what Fries did was wrong and was deserving of "punishment", what did Nora do?

karobit

Oct 27, 2017
every one of these threads is always someone telling on themselves about they value property or wealth more than human life

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
OP, it seems you missed the point of the easy moral at the end of this episode of a children's show

Oct 29, 2017
Boyle was right, per se, but attempting to summarily execute the embezzler's comatose wife was probably the incorrect tact to take.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
OP, it seems you missed the point of the easy moral at the end of this episode of a children's show
It's not even the end of the episode, it's the premise. The second half of the episode is Batman being all like "Look, I can't let you murder Boyle—even though he is trash and I feel awful about what he did to you."

At the end of the episode, after stopping Freeze, Boyle is literally up to his waist in a frozen block of ice, totally unable to move. So what does Batman do? He gives the video of what he did to a reporter, says "That guy over there is an asshole, here's the proof," walks up to Boyle, says "fuck you, dude," and just leaves.

Boyle being in the wrong is such a given that Batman doesn't even pretend to give a shit.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Been a rash of threads trying to justify shit characters lately it seems. I know it's tongue in cheek, just a weird trend.