• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
I'm not questioning the basic fundamentals of business, believe me. If you read my earlier post, I was actually applauding Nintendo for their business model, since from a business perspective it makes sense. Again, this thread was on the basis of remakes, and how remakes/remasters on other systems sell for less initially compared to Nintendo. The OP was asking why this was okay.
And my response is for. Do you really think these companies care about any of that? "Remake vs new release" is probably the least important factor on why these games were priced this way.

What price point will this product bring in the most revenue at...that's it...it's not Activision doing something good. Like the other poster compared Crash remake sales to NSMUDX sales...not knowing he hurt his own argument. If Crash sold 10 mil at $40 and NSMB sold 5 mil at $60, that's means in 2 years, Crash has done $400 mil while NSMBU has done $300 mil in just 8 months. So like I said...the better argument could be made that Activision is the one that overcharged.

And that's the issue...the sole logic behind it is "well Activision's price is less than others" and not "wow Activision really ripped us off selling Crash for $40 when soon after launch there were many sales and discounts after that"

Abdulrahman

Oct 30, 2017
User banned (1 day): platform wars
Clueless Switch users (parents for example) mostly buy those overpriced Nintendo remasters. A hardcore gamer knows that those remasters shouldn't cost more than 20.

Spyro remakes alone annihilate those Nintendo cashgrabs, content wise.

Lets not forget about Halo MCC. Freaking FOUR games (two of them are fully remade) that filled with an insane amount of MP maps.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
Clueless Switch users (parents for example) mostly buy those overpriced Nintendo remasters. A hardcore gamer knows that those remasters shouldn't cost more than 20.

Lets not forget about Halo MCC. Freaking FOUR games (two of them are fully remade) that filled with an insane amount of MP maps.
MK8D has sold 17 million

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017

How old are you ?

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
It's justifiable because it sells. Rockstar lowers the price because whatever calculation they're doing for consumer demand tells them to. You seem to think these companies do it because they want to. Prices lower over time not because of company goodwill, but because products become outdated and their perceived value decreases, so to maintain some minimum demand curve the price is adjusted. If Nintendo finds that they can still sell a reasonable amount at full price, then they have no reason to lower it. That isn't to say I don't wish I could get Nintendo games for cheaper years later

I see, that makes sense.. Maybe it's also the fact that the customers to which Nintendo and other publishers sell to differ tremendously, in that one is more conservative and ready to wait for a price drop, while others quickly give in because they know Nintendo won't drop the price? I mean, most here seem ready to douse Nintendo with money because they know Nintendo won't drop the price.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is just basic supply and demand really. If those other companies were 100% confident that those games would've sold as well at $60 as they did at $30/40 of course they'd have been $60. They didn't sell them at that price to be nice or be generous or something.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm simply looking at it from a consumer perspective. Lower prices are generally better from a consumer perspective; surely you can understand that it makes sense, and to argue in favour of higher prices is pure blind fanboyism?

Again, this isn't conductive to discussion. People pointing out faulty arguments isn't the same as arguing in favour of higher prices. Wanting to pay less is a preference, not an argument. And it's a preference that even people that have "defended" their pricing have voiced in this thread. To call it blind fanboyism is just giving yourself an easy out because people don't agree with you.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
I dont really care about that really. Since entertainment is about how much you value it, i pay for what i want how much i think its worth it. I think the links awakening remake is worth 60 dolars, so ill pay just that. Unless its about something ethically wrong, as in exploiting diseases or workers, i wont join on any angry costumer crusade.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's justifiable because it sells. Rockstar lowers the price because whatever calculation they're doing for consumer demand tells them to. You seem to think these companies do it because they want to. Prices lower over time not because of company goodwill, but because products become outdated and their perceived value decreases, so to maintain some minimum demand curve the price is adjusted. If Nintendo finds that they can still sell a reasonable amount at full price, then they have no reason to lower it. That isn't to say I don't wish I could get Nintendo games for cheaper years later
Yes, exactly. And GTA isn't even a great example because the online mode is loaded with microtransactions. Most Nintendo games don't have them. Rockstar offers a lower entry price so people will spend more with the mtx.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm simply looking at it from a consumer perspective. Lower prices are generally better from a consumer perspective; surely you can understand that it makes sense, and to argue in favour of higher prices is pure blind fanboyism?

I don't agree at all. The race to the bottom of pricing utterly ruined the market for videogames on mobile platforms, for example. It was/is definitely getting near that point too for console titles with how microtransactions are so prevalent among big games. If a company wants to have a steady pricing model and avoid that kind of thing, I'm totally in support

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Again, this isn't conductive to discussion. People pointing out faulty arguments isn't the same as arguing in favour of higher prices. Wanting to pay less is a preference, not an argument. And it's a preference that even people that have "defended" their pricing have voiced in this thread. To call it blind fanboyism is just giving yourself an easy out because people don't agree with you.

I just see it as odd that I can pay for other remakes for $40, and yet Nintendo still charges $60, and people will defend it. That's all. Ah well.

TiC

Banned
Jul 12, 2019
So, you would rather take a discount instead of a permanent price drop? I'm not ignoring anything. I'm just looking at which I would prefer from a consumer perspective. Not everyone constantly keeps tabs on when games are on-sale.
I don't buy any consoles or console games because I'm poor and in debt, I play maybe 1 mobile game at a time until I feel I get my $5 worth. To me they all seem like ridiculously overpriced products.
I'm just saying people are singling out Switch games for no reason.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anybody defending this either has too much money or anti consumer.
High prices aren't anti-consumer. Ubisoft doesn't discount their games because they are pro-consumer, they do it so they can present better numbers to their shareholders. Please check up on basic things like supply and demand.
I already said that from a business standpoint, I applauded them. It is a sound business model, just from a consumer perspective, lower prices wouldn't hurt.
That's the thing though, they would never hurt. I could as well argue that having SotC for 10 bucks instead of 40 wouldn't hurt. The consumer always wants things as cheap as possible. Pointing out why a company doesn't need to do that isn't blind fanboyism, it's just a reasonable thing to argue.
It's also hilarious when some people are arguing that 60 bucks for a game isn't enough these days and that's why we have predatory mtx in our games, and then you have others call Nintendo selling their games for 60 "andti-consumer", "a bad business decision" and whatever else.We have someone in here arguing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze at 60 is as bad as having predatory microtransactions in your game.

Not saying oyu argued that, but this line of thinking is way more ridiculous than people saying they can understand why Nintendo is doing it the way they do.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Supply and demand unfortunately. I'd love to pay less but that's not going to happen. Really appreciated Spyro and Crash's price points. Both games were fantastic and could have charged more but chose not to.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017

An easy argument could be made that Halo MCC is the most overpriced game this gen. Do you really think people thought they got their money's worth? Oh and it was such a dagger to the Halo brand that 343 is still trying to recover.

Also, just curious...everyone that bought Mario Kart 8 Deluxe isn't a hardcore gamer? Some of you are going out of your way to insult someone over an entertainment product lol

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Some bad assumptions here.
  • Switch userbase has always been mostly adults
  • "Hardcore" gamers are typically the early adopters and enthusiasts who buy day one.
  • Halo MCC had a hilariously buggy and troubled launch.

Wumbo64

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Crash Bandicoot and Spyro only now again have brand power, I am sure Activision's bean counters ran projections and found lowering the price would increase bulk sales volume. This has paid off for them, even though it is quite obvious they did a job worth more than the average price people paid for it. Remaking both trilogies, 6 games, from scratch on a custom engine... that had to have been ridiculously expensive. Particularly when you consider they also ported it to additional platforms.

Nintendo is charging 60 bucks because they believe in preserving brand value. Each Zelda game sells what Crash or Spyro sold at their height or better, consistently. They can demand that kind of price, even if it contradicts the reality that it was likely less expensive to produce than what their competitors are doing. This is the power we as consumers have given them. If you think it's bad, wait to buy it or don't at all.

Personally, I wouldn't buy it for $60.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo doesnt want to devalue their IP which is why they always sell their games at full price and for the longest of times.
Remasters/Remakes are more likely to sell to a new customer than to someone who has bought it previously - and in that case, it's a brand new game sold at a fair price.

And it seems to be working just fine for Nintendo. That's just the way it is, like it or not.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
I don't buy any consoles or console games because I'm poor and in debt, I play maybe 1 mobile game at a time until I feel I get my $5 worth. To me they all seem like ridiculously overpriced products.
I'm just saying people are singling out Switch games for no reason.

Huh? The argument is that generally, remakes seem to be sold at $40, and Nintendo is out of this standard and sells them at $60. That's the point of the OP; to decipher why Nintendo isn't called out on it. That's all.

High prices aren't anti-consumer. Ubisoft doesn't discount their games because they are pro-consumer, they do it so they can present better numbers to their shareholders. Please check up on basic things like supply and demand.

That's the thing though, they would never hurt. I could as well argue that having SotC for 10 bucks instead of 40 wouldn't hurt. The consumer always wants things as cheap as possible. Pointing out why a company doesn't need to do that isn't blind fanboyism, it's just a reasonable thing to argue.
It's also hilarious when some people are arguing that 60 bucks for a game isn't enough these days and that's why we have predatory mtx in our games, and then you have others call Nintendo selling their games for 60 "andti-consumer", "a bad business decision" and whatever else.We have someone in here arguing Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze at 60 is as bad as having predatory microtransactions in your game.

Not saying oyu argued that, but this line of thinking is way more ridiculous than people saying they can understand why Nintendo is doing it the way they do.

I mean, it ultimately comes down to perceived value. Lower pricing is always nicer, but remakes at $40 are what I generally view as a fair price and am willing to pay. $60 for a game I've played before with additional changes can seem like cashgrabs, perhaps?

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also, the logic of some people in this thread is flawed.

"So don't buy it."
"People buy it that's why it's fine"

I don't buy them. Doesn't mean there isn't a problem with it.
People spend money on mtx and lootboxes as well. Doesn't mean there isn't a problem with it.
Gambling mechanics exploit those with addiction problems into spending literal fortunes on ingame tat. Nintendo remakes are 20 bucks more expensive for a one time purchase at worst.
This is not medicine or something, don't like it don't but it is pretty appropriate for something completely innocuous like charging a bit more for a single upfront purchase.

I hope you go into every Apple or Disney thread and berate the companies for charging more for their comparatively more prestigious and desirable products.

Range

Banned
Aug 22, 2019
every company follows a different strategy that they think works for them. for nintendo, pricing their games at a premium, even for remakes, works well and they sell million of copies. perhaps activision thinks they can't move many copies of the crash and spyro games at 60 bucks.
this is very sad to see someone defend a company that practice anti-consumer behavior

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Agreed. I skipped NSMBU initially on Switch, but when the $40 Mario deal happened, you can bet I jumped on it. I'd be happy to double dip on other Wii U ports like Tropical Freeze for $40, or even the remakes like Link's Awakening and Pokemon Let's Go, but $60 is just a hard sell when the old games are still perfectly playable and they are essentially 1:1 remakes.

But Nintendo is as Nintendoes. They still sell at that price so nothing will change. I just wish there were more sales.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Huh? The argument is that generally, remakes seem to be sold at $40, and Nintendo is out of this standard and sells them at $60. That's the point of the OP; to decipher why Nintendo isn't called out on it. That's all.

I mean, it ultimately comes down to perceived value. Lower pricing is always nicer, but remakes at $40 are what I generally view as a fair price and am willing to pay. $60 for a game I've played before with additional changes can seem like cashgrabs, perhaps?
They are called out for it. What do you think you're doing right now?

But a lot of people will pay their price. That's why they do it. Activision probably figured they would make more money by selling Crash at $40. Nintendo figured they could make more selling at $60. That's all it is. For you, unfortunately, calling them out isn't doing much. Millions of people are still paying full price for their remakes.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
They are called out for it. What do you think you're doing right now?

But a lot of people will pay their price. That's why they do it. Activision probably figured they would make more money by selling Crash at $40. Nintendo figured they could make more selling at $60. That's all it is. For you, unfortunately, calling them out isn't doing much. Millions of people are still paying full price for their remakes.

Yeah, that's right. You're dead on. Not much else is to be said about it. :P

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Remember when you got 3 games for 30-40€ last gen? Good times. But I guess TLOU showed everyone that people are willing to pay 60€ for one HD remaster.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, Activision pricing $40 for Crash and Spyro shows they're not very confident on the brands, or at least weren't at the time.

Range

Banned
Aug 22, 2019
I will never understand why people here love and even defend a company for charging high prices for their products

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, also consider that the legend of zelda as a brand commands more in dollars than probably spyro and crash combined, so that plus dev costs plus probably a lot of other factors result in a $60.
How do you reconcile this mindset with the fact that none of the handheld Zelda offerings all the way to LTTP2 didn't retail for $60?

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sure. I didn't get the Mario Bros U port because I don't think it's worth it, I did get Tropical Freeze because I thought it was worth it. I think stuff like Capcom selling a Street Fighter 2 port for the money they did at the Switch's launch as a cash grab.
Personally I don't have this fixed pricepoint of $40 for remakes in my head just because one company does it that way and then start to say everyone who doesn't do it the same way is making cash grabs.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I will never understand why people here love and even defend a company for charging high prices for their products

Is there even a single person ITT who has said that they "love" this? Because I haven't seen it.

People 'defending' this- like myself- are basically explaining something rather straightforward without resorting to buzzwords and generalisations.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo knows their games are going to sell. Therefore, absolutely no reason for them to drop prices/sell games cheaper in the first place. That's all there is to it

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How do you reconcile this mindset with the fact that none of the handheld Zelda offerings all the way to LTTP2 didn't retail for $60?
Because Handheld and Home Console games are priced differently based on precedent. Nintendo and the market have decided that Switch games are in line with Home Console games, and Link's Awakening is priced as such.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Basically. As much as I want Links Awakening I'm super not jazzed about paying 60 bucks for it

Like maybe I haven't kept up enough but as far as I know it doesn't really have any new content to it either

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

beauty is in the eye of a beholder. someone doesn't think a 15 hour single player game is worth it, that's fine. some people wouldn't pay the $50 USD + that M2 charges for their ShotTriggers line-up, that's fine. There is usually a justification for the higher prices.

The scenario for Link's Awakening, for example, is just one aspect of the game. If you look at the graphics, the music, the anime cutscene(s?), the bevvy of official translations, etc. and say it is a 1:1 remake-- I don't know what to tell you.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Games are priced to generate the most revenue for the publisher. Crash and Spyro weren't less than $60 for any reason other than the fact that AB thought that price would lead to more sales, which would overall lead to more $.

Nintendo doesn't feel that way about these titles, and considering how well all of their Switch ports have done, they are right.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only question that matters is whether or not you as a consumer think a game is worth the price a publisher is asking for. If so, then buy it. If not, don't buy it. If it doesn't sell well enough Nintendo or other retailers will discount it.

The idea that remakes HAVE to be priced at a certain price point because they are remakes is stupid. Do you get a cheaper ticket price on the box office when they remake a movie concept? No. Do you think FFVIIR is going to be less than $60? No.

Apr 24, 2018
Get the vouchers with discounted EShop credit!
Normally I tend to get physical, but admittedly I was interested in grabbing Super Mario Maker 2 (and therefore one other title) digitally. I thought the voucher promotion ended at the end of July, though? Also, I haven't seen a discount from one of the major retailers in a while.

OP
OP
Durden

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Geez there's some intense takes in this thread.

What I was basically saying was that, in my opinion, the Crash and Spyro remakes have changed the way that I view games like the Link's Awakening remake, and have made some of other Nintendo's previous remakes or remasters/re-releases look even worse in hindsight. I wanted to see if others felt the same way or not, and have a discussion about whether or not if should effect the way Nintendo and possibly other companies should value projects like these.

I was singling out Nintendo because of their general pricing structure of 60$ or bust. I am not saying that Activison is "the good guys" or that Nintendo is "the bad guys" or any of that shit. I still happily buy many fully priced Nintendo games, the Switch is very much my primary console. I'm just choosing not to for LA because of these reasons. Certain things change certain market climates, and I personally believe those Crash/Spyro/CTR remakes were such strong values that it warrants a discussion on whether or not other companies should take heed for consumers like me, who feel as though they have set a new standard in this field. I also think there could be a lot to be gained from following that standard on not just a consumer viewpoint, but a business viewpoint as well.

I do appreciate the legitimate discussion that has been had though. I do understand a business has to create their own value, and I wouldn't say I'm in support of just blanket pricing on these things. From what I've seen, I still disagree with LA's pricing though.

I'll update the OP with WWHD and TPHD being apparently 50$ at launch. (TPHD on Wii U is actually 63$ on Amazon right now though.....lawl).

Malakai

Oct 27, 2017
These pricing takes will always be ridiculous. It's not food and water, it's an entertainment product. Also, lol at comparing almost every Nintendo brand to Crash or Spyro. It's like comparing an iPhone XS to a Motorola pre-paid phone.

But...for the 100th time...Crash/Spyro and other games are priced that way because that is the best price point for the most sales and revenue. A $60 Spyro game would have likely flopped...or at least, wouldn't have close to as many sales. Look at the sales of the average Crash/Spyro game vs Mario and Zelda...it's not even close. Even if Spyro was $10, it would likely not sell even a 1/4 of what this Zelda game will do at full price.

This concept that "lower price = more sales" is flatout economics ignorance. For a game that will likely sit in your backlog. Activision didn't price these games below $60 to do something nice LOL...this is the same company that sneaks in lootboxes into games and such...like what planet are people living on?

I also love the people that get angry about a $10-$20 difference in price for a game, but yet bought a WiiU at full price.

The bolded make zero sense. People buy a console to play games. If there isn't game you want to play on it the price is irrelevant? So what does the console have to do with game pricing?

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
So every product should be free? Sony is a multi-billion dollar company...so Spider-Man should cost $10? Because at $10, they would have sold more than they have at $60, right? Why haven't we seen a "OMG Spyro at $40 is way overpriced"...again...the people that agree with you are not making sense. A $20 difference doesn't make one company "anti-consumer" and another company "pro-consumer". But mysterious, no one thought that $70 was too high for an NES Classic with $10 worth of tech and games from 30 years ago. It makes no sense!

The bolded make zero sense. People buy a console to play games. If there isn't game you want to play on it the price is irrelevant? So what does the console have to do with game pricing?
Yes, so why buy a console that had no games for almost a year, and about 4 games to play after two years...that was priced at $300 in 2012 for 32 GB of save space and couldn't do 1080p graphics? Some people here are arguing over $20, yet overpaid by at least $100 for a console because reasons.

So it's okay to overcharge on hardware but not software?