• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Well the Crash trilogy is well over 10 million already. NSMB U DX isn't even at 5 million. So I guess the people have chosen and they chose Crash.

Your point would be valid if they had released at the same time on all the same consoles and you are comparing an enhanced port with a remake.

Not to mention in revenue it's already getting close.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
I bought a switch in early 2017 with BOTW and have only purchased Mario Kart and Smash since that time, I would like more games for it but I cannot bring myself to dropping $60 on stuff like Mario Odyssey or Crafted World that I kind of want to play when I can get a ton of games I want on PC or PS4 for under $15 or even $10.

Switch was a big regret buy for me, but yeah parents will continue to shell out 60 bones for Zelda and Mario for their kids never learning much about the market. Just need the kid to stop screaming lol

EDIT: Spyro Reignited is amazing by the way, I recommend that game to everyone.

Are you serious. All Nintendo games have been on sale. I picked up Odyssey, NSMBUD, Mario Party for 40$ and since I purchased EShop credit with 20% discount that resulted in paying 32$.
Gold points not counted in that is less than 1$ per hour I sent in those games, that's worth it for me.

Side node: You don't have kids obviously ;)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
a, there's no reason to believe it would have sold 10 million if it was 40 bucks
b, it's been 7 months since it's been released, crash was release 2+ years ago
c, it's not done selling and will sell for years, likely ending up at 7 or 8 million LTD
forgot the most important one
d, crash trilogy is the best crash game in like two decades after tons of terrible games, there are good mario games every year

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Why do you suppose they do that? To be nice?

It's not hard to discount a game or two once in a while. Pro-consumer strategies like discounting probably encourage more consumer spending. Multiple people in this thread have already said they've been deterred from spending with Nintendo because of how high the cost of each game is.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Well, there is supply and demand at play, and as people pointed out, CTR and others have microtransactions. Nintendo has been pretty good at keeping microtransactions away from their console games. Their mobile games are a different story.

Plus, games were like $80 back in the 90's, with inflation, that's a decent chunk more in today's dollars. The price of games doesn't seem to be a big issue today.
You know amiibo are a thing, right? Hey, I gladly bought 40+ of them, but let's not act like all mighty Nintendo is above microtransactions. Come on.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
My take that is that Nintendo's business mdoel is completely sound from a business perspective. It makes them the most money of course, so they will stick with that. However, I cannot honestly fathom how people will defend maintaing older titles at such a high price of $60 when the game released a few years ago. If we do a comparison of Xbox and Sony, they both lower their prices of games to fair degree after a game's release. Nintendo, on the other hand, still sell BOTW at $60; games like Uncharted 4, HZD and TLOU: Remastered sell for like £16 on the store constantly - these are PlayStation Hits too.

I suppose there are marketing studies and cosnequent decisions behind this: probably they researched and found out that they would get more profit keeping the price at 60$ and selling less copies than lowering the price at 20$ and selling more copies. Moreover, without lowering the price, they are not devaluing the games themselves in my opinion. I would not buy an Ubisoft game (such as a possible future Mario+Rabbids 2) at day one because I know I can get it ad half the price few months later. Instead, I am more keen on buying Nintendo first party games at day one, because after few months I would have saves 10$ at maximum.
Then, about ports, we must also consider offers. I bought NSMBUDeluxe at 40€, I have Link's Awakening preordered at 44€. If they had decided to sell them at 40€, with offers they would be already at 20€.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can you not see how Nintendo's business model can be inherently anti-consumer?
do you actually know what anti-consumer means? your rights as a consumer aren't being violated because you're not able to buy something at a cheap enough price. you have no rights to cheap games. it's good when they're offered, but no one is violating your rights when they don't drop the prices of their games.

edit: sigh, thread is a shitshow of the same tired arguments. i'm out.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know they're not just porting it and adding polish. It's a fully realised high definition version that costs MONEY TO MAKE. Just because another company put their out at a cut price doesn't mean Nintendo should.

Crash and Spyro has been in the gutter so long that asking $60 for them would have been a nope. Zelda on the other hand has always been seen as a premium entry, and this is a game not many have played compared to the main games.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it favourable to consumers to charge more for your games and not discount them? No.
Is it favourable to consumers to charge less for your games and not discount them? Yes.

Tell me how one isn't more anti-consumer than the other.

Being favourable or not for the consumer has no relation to whether or not the thing violates your consumers rights, which is what being anti-consumer means.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
In the age of GamePass I refuse to pay more than 5 bucks for any Sony or Nintendo first party title.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Or perhaps Crash Trilogy has a much, much higher user base?
You forgot to mention one is on all platforms including the Switch, and the other an exclusive.
Your point would be valid if they had released at the same time on all the same consoles and you are comparing an enhanced port with a remake.

Not to mention in revenue it's already getting close.

The excuses, so many excuses.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Is it favourable to consumers to charge more for your games and not discount them? No.
Is it favourable to consumers to charge less for your games and not discount them? Yes.

Tell me how one isn't more anti-consumer than the other.
Giving things away for free is also less anti-consumer. Flawless logic

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Well the Crash trilogy is well over 10 million already. NSMB U DX isn't even at 5 million. So I guess the people have chosen and they chose Crash.

Or maybe Nintendo's pricing is actually bad for sales. Go figure.
NSMBUDX will pass 10m without much trouble and might even hit 20m counting the Wii U version. It's selling stupidly well and already hit 4.1m in around 4 months, it's nearly doubling Crash sales aligned (2.5m in 3 months).

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Being favourable or not for the consumer has no relation to whether or not the thing violates your consumers rights, which is what being anti-consumer means.

Okay, fine. I cannot seriously fathom why you would even want to defend something to willingly pay more for a product, when other companies themselves are doing the same for less.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User banned (7 days): Platform warring and community generalizations; prior infractions for platform warring
Nintendo are greedy and have a fanbase that supports literally anything they do, so they aren't going to change.

Oct 27, 2017
If we do a comparison of Xbox and Sony, they both lower their prices of games to fair degree after a game's release. Nintendo, on the other hand, still sell BOTW at $60; games like Uncharted 4, HZD and TLOU: Remastered sell for like £16 on the store constantly - these are PlayStation Hits too.
Why would we do a comparison? Are those titles still charting in regions around the world? BOTW was #10 in the July NPD All Software without digital sales taken into account, meanwhile none of those are even in the top 10 for PS4 software. The price drops are so those titles continue selling, not out of the goodness of Sony or MS' hearts. Nintendo's titles continue selling despite being full price. if Sony or MS titles had the tails Nintendo's do they wouldn't drop the price

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Apart from "I think it's wrong and I'm not going to buy it" I don't see what can be discussed here. Companies can put the prices they want on their products.

Much

Feb 24, 2018
Why would we do a comparison? Are those titles still charting in regions around the world? BOTW was #10 in the July NPD All Software without digital sales taken into account, meanwhile none of those are even in the top 10 for PS4 software. The price drops are so those titles continue selling, not out of the goodness of Sony or MS' hearts. Nintendo's titles continue selling despite being full price. if Sony or MS titles had the tails Nintendo's do they wouldn't drop the price

We can compare if we want to, because the premise of the thread is based on a comparison anyway. If we're gonna look at NPD charts, then games like GTA are discounted and are still charting highly. So, please explain to me why Nintendo's strategy to sell high is justifiable when other publishers are doing it for less - from a consumer perspective.

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
Companies are free to price their (luxury) product however they see fit. It's up to the consumer to decide if they really want the product and if they're willing to pay the asking price. It's something you have to learn to accept as an adult.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
LOL please enlighten me, what are Sword and Shield a port of?
You misunderstood what I said.

I could play Smash on the 3DS for $40, Smash Ultimate is more of the same why is it $60?
See how dumb this sounds?
Smash has always been a full priced game until the 3ds version obviously. So your post should've been comparing the 3DS and the WiiU version to argue against me. Ultimate is a sequel and yeah sure "more of the same" I guess but the pricing is no different from the previous console based Smash games.

Oct 25, 2017
The customers will decide if it's worth or not, Link's Awakening is a game I've wanted to revisit for years and the voucher system got me the game for 50 so I'm okay with it.

I do agree that 40 would have been excellent for the game but it's Nintendo and Zelda.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Okay, fine. I cannot seriously fathom why you would even want to defend something to willingly pay more for a product, when other companies themselves are doing the same for less.
It's because several people here, sadly, think of themselves more as good friends of the company than consumers who actually have to spend their own limited money on different things, so it's impossible to have a good discussion when they can't go past that barrier. I've learned that the hard way and it's mostly Nintendo-related threads where this kind of discussion is the hardest to have.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
The excuses, so many excuses.
lol excuses?

Meanwhile back on planet Earth NSMBUDX is outselling Crash NST aligned. Yes, the people have chosen and their choice appears to be one great ported platformer (plus dlc) for $60 over 3 mediocre remastered platformers for $40.

No word on Spyro yet but given Activision hasn't commented I'll assume it's even underselling Crash.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
You misunderstood what I said.

Smash has always been a full priced game until the 3ds version obviously. So your post should've been comparing the 3DS and the WiiU version to argue against me. Ultimate is a sequel and yeah sure "more of the same" I guess but the pricing is no different from the previous console based Smash games.
The price has always been defined by the console the game is on, nothing more. Random example: Animal Crossing 3DS had a lot more content and better graphics than the $60 Wii game but it still costed $40.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You know amiibo are a thing, right? Hey, I gladly bought 40+ of them, but let's not act like all mighty Nintendo is above microtransactions. Come on.
For me personally the difference is between stuff like Amiibo and the currency shops you saw only in mobile games a few years ago.
I rarely feel like I missed out on not having Amiibo, while other games get ruined by all the "best value get 20000 coins for 50 bucks now!" bullshit.
I praised MH World's pricing model too, even though it had MTX because you had to actively search for them in some menus. That's still better than these blatant moneygrubbing schemes.
Yup typed the wrong word, I meant excessive
Ah got you.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
I think TP HD alone was $50 on Wii u, and if you got it with the amiibo, it was $60. I feel like WWHD on Wii U was $50 also, but my memory is hazy.

-That being said, DKC:TF being $60 at launch was an absolute joke since we just saw double the resolution and a funky mode, but really nothing significant. Should have been the same price as captain toad treasure tracker at 40-50
-I feel the same way with Pokken Coliseum. There were some new Pokemon but hardly any performance improvements. That game should have been $50 at the most.
-mk8 deluxe though included all the DLC and some extra modes and some change in mechanics, as well as performance improvements. I think adding the dlc justifies the $60 price, and it should have been at least be $50 at launch.

You know in some ways I'm proud of Nintendo putting value in their games. I feel like steam and Sony/Ms are too quick with price drops and devalue their games (half price in 1-2 years is crazy). That being said, old ports like the games I stated above with minor changes should not be 60.. and the first party games that have bee out for the first two years should at least have a $10 permanent price drop everywhere

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
one crash is about 1/5th of a mario so it makes sense that 3 crashs cost 3/5 of a mario. basic math.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For me personally the difference is between stuff like Amiibo and the currency shops you saw only in mobile games a few years ago.
I rarely feel like I missed out on not having Amiibo, while other games get ruined by all the "best value get 20000 coins for 50 bucks now!" bullshit.
I praised MH World's pricing model too, even though it had MTX because you had to actively search for them in some menus. That's also better than these blatant moneygrubbing schemes.

Ah got you.
At least with Amiibo you get a multi game toy to use for content as well as a neat collectible

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
100% agree. First party Nintendo titles never go on sale either for a reasonable discount either. It's been a frustrating part of owning a Switch for me.

The DK: TF pricing was ridiculous, so much insatiable greed..