• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These remakes that they have been putting out regarding Crash and Spyro, are undeniably NSANE values. With the N. Sane Trilogy, you get all 3 of the original Crash game (3 games! That's 3 games!! THREE GAMES!!! GAMES!!!! TRES!!!!), with Spyro Reignitied, also the 3 original games (3. FUCKING. GAMMMMMMMMMMMMM3333333S!!!), and with CTR you get one really stacked game, with so far months of free content updates.

Keep in mind, these are not just HD remasters either. These are full on ground-up remakes in spectacular fashion, with tons of care and attention to detail. The Spyro trilogy in particular is just beautiful imo, that looks just as good if not better than Rachet & Clank PS4 (aka gettin up to Pixar levels). Some even have brand new content as well on top of this, such as the super difficult level in Crash 1, and the Nitro Kart levels in CTR along with the other Grand Prix content.

And of course, the kicker is these all sell for 40 bucks. It's truly extremely difficult not to recommend these to damn near anyone, as they all feel as though they could still be easy to recommend at 60$. They are some of the coolest projects and absolute best values in gaming, and the price being the cherry on top generally showers them with good will. They almost just feel like gifts.

Now, let's take a look in Nintendo's corner. First off, back in the Wii U days. We've got things like Winder Waker HD along with Twilight Princess. These are not even remakes, but remasters. They each had a bit of extra content but nothing substantial. 60$. Edit: Apparently these were actually 50$ at release?

Then, the mass amount of ports from the Wii U to Switch. Tropical Freeze, MK8, NSMBU, ect. Each of these added a bit of additional content, (not much at all, with some like Funky mode in TF basically being non-existent), or either just bundled the DLC from the Wii U version into it. These are a bit different as most of these games are still so new. You're basically just paying for the privilege to play them on the Switch. So they're like...not even remasters let alone remakes. They're just re-releases. But still, 60$. Not 40$. Not even 50$ for a game you may had bought mere months ago on your Wii U. 60$. And at this point, the Crash remake trilogy had already dropped their blueprint mind you to massive acclaim.

Now...we're at a new point that I think should be addressed. I don't really feel cool paying 60$ for the Link's Awakening remake. 40$? Holy shit yes. I'm all over it. But why 60$? I mean yes I understand that it will almost assuredly be worth more than NSMBUDX that is still currently priced at 60$, but that's a bar Nintendo has set themselves. And this has to start somewhere.

While I loved Link's Awakening and I understand it's generally grander in scope than any single one of the Crash/Spyro games, I do not think it's grander in scope than 3 of those games put together, which once again sells for 40$. It is in a very similar vein to them actually. A ground-up remake with a lot of love and care. So why should it be priced at 60$ besides Nintendo just being Nintendo?

I never thought that of all companies, Activision would be leading the charge with some of the most insane values in gaming, but here we are. And in my eyes, they have really changed the climate when in comes to projects like these, and companies like Nintendo need to be checked into this climate. While Nintendo charging 60$ just for HD remakes back in the day was already pretty messed up, now after these Activision remakes, it seems super fucked up. To the point to where even a beautifully remade game like Link's Awakening I think should be taking notice.

I know I will not be buying LA at 60$, even though I would love to play it. Would I have if these Crash/Spyro remakes didn't change my perspective? Maybe. But I know that I won't now. And I'm wondering how many other people may feel this way about LA and/or any future remake/remaster projects from Nintendo and/or other companies.

Last edited:

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
They don't care when people are not only willing to pay for it, but for some reason defend it.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
NSMBU Deluxe sold 4.1m units so while I would like to pay less, there doesn't seem to be any reason for them to lower the price tag

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Every company is different, if we set a standard for everyone games would be costing $10 because of mobile pricings.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
All I remember is that SOTC Remake was not $60 on release.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Activision would have definitely charged $60 for their collections if they had any idea just how popular they'd be. I honestly think they regret pricing themselves into a corner with the N Sane Trilogy.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Hate to be this guy, but as long as people pay they'll continue pricing them this way. But yeah, Activision's remakes have some insane quality and amazing value, CTR is basically an entirely new game with monthly updates entirely for free.

Also:
These remakes that they have been putting out regarding Crash and Spyro, are undeniably NSANE values. With the N. Sane Trilogy, you get all 3 of the original Crash game (3 games! That's 3 games!! THREE GAMES!!! GAMES!!!! TRES!!!!), with Spyro Reignitied, also the 3 original games (3. FUCKING. GAMMMMMMMMMMMMM3333333S!!!), and with CTR you get one really stacked game, with so far months of free content updates.
c89.jpg

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
I don't necessarily disagree, but doesn't this argument extend to the idea that games should be priced on amount of content versus industry standards?

zMiiChy-

Dec 12, 2017
I think $60 for the Link's Awakening remake is fine.
The changes are pretty significant.

I agree with the rest completely.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, but it's consumers who are to blame.

If we didn't continually keep buying these titles Nintendo would get the picture and drop the price.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
every company follows a different strategy that they think works for them. for nintendo, pricing their games at a premium, even for remakes, works well and they sell million of copies. perhaps activision thinks they can't move many copies of the crash and spyro games at 60 bucks.

Deleted member 18944

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, also consider that the legend of zelda as a brand commands more in dollars than probably spyro and crash combined, so that plus dev costs plus probably a lot of other factors result in a $60.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
The Wii U to Switch ports were priced at full price for the folks who didn't buy them on Wii U since the games aren't all that old and still hold up.

Those releases are nowhere near the same things as bringing games from the mid-2000's into the modern world.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Personally, if a company wants to sell their remake or remaster, etc. at $60. Then it's fine by me. If they feel their product Is worth that much, I won't argue but I won't always agree.

It's on me to decided if I want to pay that much.

I didn't buy Tropical Freeze Because I didn't feel it was worth it. I will buy Links Awakening Becuase I think it will be worth it. If Crash and Spyro were priced at $60 I wouldn't argue. Even if it was just a remake/remaster of the first Crash/Spyro game

That's just me. I've skipped a ton of remakes/remasters where I felt the price wasn't going to be worth it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I agree, I also think it's crazy that Ubisoft can release games that have 100+h of content for the same price as a Naughty Dog game that will take you like 15h tops.

Zlug

Oct 1, 2018
Not concerned.
I will have Link's Awakening for 40 Euros day one (never played the original so it's like brand new for me) , it was the same price for DKTF if I remember correctly.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Nobody is forcing you to pay $60. Wait for sales. I waited until I could get Crash Trilogy for under $20 before buying it.

Edit: In regards to Wii U to Switch ports...most folks that already own the Wii U version aren't going to be rebuying the Switch version.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
nintendo charges 60 because people are willing to pay 60 for them. i doubt most people would pay 60 for spyro or crash. nintendo is like the apple of gaming in the sense that they dont devalue their brand

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
People are gonna buy it at $60. Would I prefer if it was cheaper? Of course. But Nintendo knows people will buy it and they want to make money.

Activision probably would've made more money if they charged $60 for Crash too. But they decided against it. They have their own reasons for that. Nintendo has their own reasons for setting LA at $60.

There's no standardized way of pricing games and that's a good thing.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Unlike Activision or Sony, Nintendo don't want devalue their franchises. Not only they launch at full $60 price tag, their digital prices veeery rarely go on a sale. Their franchises, especially Zelda and Mario, sell millions regardless of quality or price, so we should be thankful that Nintendo don't ramp up their prices even higher. They could totally do that and still sell the same amount.

Valus

Nov 21, 2017
Yes, I agree that $60 is too much for the LA remake. I would have picked it up at $40 as well.

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
Nintendo games also rarely go down in price over time, so when you play Nintendo games you just have to accept that you need to pay $60.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. None of these companies are running charities/ pricing their games to be nice. The Crash/Spyro brand wasn't worth $60 dollars while the Zelda brand currently is.

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is the least friendly company for price-conscious consumers. They basically have apple status where a dedicated fanbase lets them get away with anything by accepting whatever price they set, and it makes things worse for everyone else. I personally know at least three people who came really close to picking up a nintendo system over the years and changed their mind when they saw the pricing of older games.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Did people stop buying the remakes for $60? Because if not, it would be dumb of them not to charge that price.

ErazorRain

Oct 25, 2017
If the devs who work hard in producing these games get payed well and aren't overworked in order to meet deadlines, i am all for paying more for the games. Not saying the devs of Spyro/Crash or other remakes are getting overworked or not well payed, but it surely would not surprise me if it was the case.

If i had confirmation they are getting payed well and aren't being overwored, i'd happily pay 60 for Crash/Spyro and other remakes/remasters aswell. Good work should yield good rewards for everyone involed, not just the execs.

ForthU

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed but it's not just Nintendo. Activision killed the price perception of those remakes, it makes other games look like scam too. Medievil for instance: why should I pay 30€ for one remake(with a sequel purposefully left out) when Activision remade 3 games for 40€? Same goes for Destroy all Humans or SOTC,although in those cases you could argue those games are a bit newer. The worst thing is how they leave out other games in the series, that's a big no-no from me. Activision had way less reason to include CNK in Notro Fueled, than Medievil 2 or DAH2. Yet here we are with most CNK content in CTR and no Medievil 2 or DAH2

ps: OP I think you should boot R&C again though, visually there's no contest

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The games you compare are not of the same caliber. Link's Awakening is a masterpiece.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Just to back you up, pretty sure the following weren't for PS4:
  1. Shadow of the Colossus ($40)
  2. Ratchet and Clank ($40)
  3. Medievil ($40)
  4. Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Trilogy ($40)
  5. Spyro Trilogy ($40)
Medievil is $30

Activision would have definitely charged $60 for their collections if they had any idea just how popular they'd be. I honestly think they regret pricing themselves into a corner with the N Sane Trilogy.
They could've easily selled CTR for $60 considering how much content there is, but still sold it for $40. They likely have studies for this pricing.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To me it's just a matter of considering how and why publishers price their games the way they do.

Nintendo considers this game to be worth $60, and whether or not you'll buy it is up to you. Just because it's a remake, or because you don't think it's "grand in scope" or whatever, doesn't mean Nintendo shares your opinion. There's nothing that says they have to charge less because it's a remake. Sure, maybe they should in good faith, but in the end, it comes down to: do you buy it, or don't you?

Also, you rightly pointed out that remasters are one thing whereas remakes are another. If this game was completely remade from the ground up, why wouldn't they charge the amount that they'd charge for a new 2D Zelda game? Because they had to put less effort into the writing or something?

If anything, this thread could just as easily argue that they should be charging $60 for things like the Crash collection (or more, being that it's three games).

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I should add:

As someone who owned a Wii U and Switch, the list of games I didn't double dip on the Switch is large:

Mario Kart 8
NSMBU
DKTF
Captain Toad

Games I did double dip on:

BotW

Why? Price. I bought other games instead.

Games I still would buy full price if they ever released for Switch:

XCX

All that said, I have no interest in Link's Awakening because I'm used to 2D Zelda being on handheld at $40, not $60. And being a remake I have little interest. They priced me out, but that's okay.

These are full on ground-up remakes in spectacular fashion, with tons of care and attention to detail.

You're describing Link's Awakening there. ;)

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other company's pricing does not have a bearing on how companies should price their games. That's how market gets devaluated fast.
If Activision feels their games are worth 40$, then let them. But it doesn't mean one second that the standard price of a remake should be 40$.