• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite Platformer Main Charcter?

• Mario

Votes: 470 34.5%
  • Sonic

Votes: 229 16.8%
  • Ratchet

Votes: 265 19.5%
  • Jak

Votes: 37 2.7%
  • Sly

Votes: 127 9.3%
  • Rayman

Votes: 78 5.7%
  • Banjo

Votes: 155 11.4%

• Total voters

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
People voting for Mario? that puppet hardly has personality.

Haven't played played Jak, so aside from that I would say Ratchet.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Does Mario even have a personality? He just says random catchphrases and noises.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The poll is missing the most important one of all: Kirby. Dude has all the charisma in the world. And he does not give a flying f. He destroys the airship he's on and he's still happy about it.

Second one is probably Klonoa for me. He feels like Sonic but with a more cool design. It's a joy to play as him. I hope he returns very soon.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Jak followed by Sly. The best thing about adult Jak is that he made many people salty and mad.

KeyBladerXIII

Dec 5, 2017
I voted Sly. He has the most engaging personality of all the choices. He has great interactions with all the characters he comes across and i love his snarky attitude with the villains. He also has the best backstory of all the choices listed. I remember being glued to the screen at the final boss revelation and confrontation in the original game.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seriously that Mario does not have near 100% is just wrong

and Ratchet?? Thats more of a third person shooter

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Ratchet out of the poll options, pretty close between him and Sonic. Though as another post said would be Crash overall.

Ronan_Berthelot

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, to those that voted Mario, what is his personality? I can't describe his character with anything other than righteous and.. he's a plumber. I mean he has the best platforming games, but best personality? Even Luigi stands out more than he does.

For me it's a tie between Ratchet and Sonic. Ratchet's growth and shift in personality from the start of the first game to the ending was a great character arc to behold. His dynamic with Clank works well, and the Future saga on the PS3 really fleshed out his conflicted feelings in learning of his past and who he is when confronted with allies like Azimuth.

Sonic is just an overall fun and carefree character. He's as free as the wind, and the art, music and attitude most games give him really bring this out. Even in his most primitive state with the 16-bit games, from the title screen to his impatient foot tapping during gameplay, Sonic has always oozed personality.

Seriously that Mario does not have near 100% is just wrong

and Ratchet?? Thats more of a third person shooter
If he should be 100% describe Mario's personality then, please. I'm coming up blank here. This isn't asking who has the best games.

Last edited:

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
I'd vote for Ratchet, but his personality has been toned dowm so much over the years he is one od the worst ones now.

So I'm voting Sly. Sly 2 and 3 had lot of competent writing in it.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic is maximum cheese but that's why I like him

It Doesn't Matter is basically the ultimate shonen anthem

The only platformer character I fundamentally don't like is Crash, they should have replaced him with Coco years ago

That and they turned Rayman into a perv and ruined his design IMO

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Sly, definitely. Prefect mix of sarcastic and genuine, imo. Runner up is Ratchet.

Mario has the best games but doesn't really have a personality...

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
I prefer the Jak and Mario games for the most part, but Sly is my favorite platformer character. He's got a great personality, and his design is perfect imo.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Voted Mario because he's a great dude.
And while I never was a fan of Banjo Kazooie, I always loved that he was just a dumb, kind bear who can sometimes become angry and violent. You don't mess with a bear, as kind as he can be.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Realized Kirby isn't in the poll. I love him. He's a big baby who gets angry if someone steals his food, and will track you down in the whole cosmos to fuck you up and get his cake back.
Other than that, he's the hero of the people of his planet because he... Fucked up the dictator. But not because he was a dictator. Because he stole Kirby's cake. Since then though he's best buddy with said dictator because he doesn't steal his food anymore, and together they kill cosmic gods. Incredible.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
having little no personality is actually what puts Mario ahead of the rest of these clowns

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
The hell with all these listed choices, where's the MVP, Kirby at?

Also Mario, fun games, but he's the weakest character personality-wise in his games. His personality is that he's brave, good, and reckless which describes 90% of heroes in the media.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A character with little to no personality should have near 100% in a poll about what personality you like best?

I don't even know why you responded to him. I just assumed he was trolling.

I can only conclude 30% of reset era thinks annoying whooping is both 1) a personality and 2) a desirable personality
Your findings are the only conclusion I can come to also. I pointed this topic to a friend of mine who is a proper Nintendo fanboy and loves Mario games and even he is confused as to how Mario has a single vote.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
How the fuck is Mario winning this poll lmao

Anyway, I'll give it to Ratchet. Never played a game with Sonic, Banjo or Sly.

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more surprised at Ratchet being in second. He's too much of a boy scout these days, and not in the endearing way like Mario is.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
Mario's like Mickey Mouse.

Iconic design and beloved by everyone and their mother but is about as interesting as tinfoil to the point where the supporting cast like Luigi/Donald are more fun because they have character.

By the way, I pick Crash who's not in the poll.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic has been involved with too much shitposting so I started associating him with low effort memes. I hate him.

I voted Banjo because he's so lovable!

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
The last few days I've seen so many weird opinions here I don't know who's trolling or not anymore (just look at that thread over in EtcetEra about One Piece being the greatest work of written art ever made).

I saw that topic and I didn't know what to think. I just never went back to it afterwards.

I think this site is pretty Mario biased. As long as he's an option he's probably going to get some votes no matter what the question is

I swear you can make a topic "Who takes a shit better?" and if you have Mario as an option he will win it.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
When Sonic is done right, none of the others can compare.
f04492110bab52d384c626a6620dd940.gif

ShoddyOrnateGoldfish-small.gif

863778a1af5255f3d0fac56bc65ba315c5c3f0a1_hq.gif

Next is Banjo & Kazooie. Love those too.. They're definitely the funniest of the bunch. A bear and backpack bird is still the most absurd idea and it works!

source.gif

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

Mario surprisingly is my 3rd. His voice is too iconic and his gaffs are too memorable. If you play Mario games and claim he has no personality you're not paying attention.

d071b23eb98ab84248f97662f87a124b.gif

FlamboyantClearcutApe-size_restricted.gif

2G7i.gif

His little brother does have quite a bit more than him and some others on this list.

God, platforming characters are some of the best characters. I actually think DK deserves to be on the list as well.

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sincerely confused as to why Mario is winning the poll. What is his personality?

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serious question, to those that voted Mario, what is his personality? I can't describe his character with anything other than righteous and.. he's a plumber. I mean he has the best platforming games, but best personality? Even Luigi stands out more than he does.
Exactly. He's what I thought of when I mentioned "successful napkin sketches" earlier. He's basically a successful cooperate mascot that got popular before everyone got a chance to get cynical about it. Zero personality or character whatsoever other than being an anthropomorphizeg pogo-stick that exclaims when he jumps.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I don't see why people say Mario has no personality. This is so wrong. Especially in the 3D games (since this poll is mostly 3D platformer centric)
He's a cute dude, brave, always smiling, always positive. Him not cracking jokes or not being sarcastic doesn't mean he has no personality.
You can't look at this and say "yeah this dude doesn't feel nor convey any feeling, he has no personality, bland character"
7788957493_mario-est-pret-pour-de-nouvelles-aventures.PNG

Reading some of you, we could think the others protagonists of platformers are some Victor Hugo's or any realism literary's characters in comparison to Mario lol. None are deep characters, personality wise.

Last edited:

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
As a kid it was Wario, as an adult it's probably Donkey Kong.

Part of me really has a lot of affinity for 2000s era Sonic as a character in a semi-ironic way though. He's just so "Hello, fellow kids" in a way that seems earnest to the point where it's endearing.