• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Every thread that involves the expanded canon outside of the movies is always the same thing of dismissal and as if their childhood is ruined. It's the best example of
Z7HeRxU.jpg

But it's a Star Wars thread on Era and it's the internet so no minds are going to be changed

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Every thread that involves the expanded canon outside of the movies is always the same thing of dismissal and as if their childhood is ruined. It's the best example of
Z7HeRxU.jpg

But it's a Star Wars thread on Era and it's the internet so no minds are going to be changed

Not everyone hates the old EU.

I miss the old Dark Horse comics.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Really lot of the new Star Wars comics have been pushing it with silly shit that feels like a return to the crappy old EU

Love Luke accidentally taking out Boba Fett in the new comics before he officially even met him. Or the super elite super storm trooper squad with a trooper with lightsaber leading them.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Problem with comics is they have to try and sell to the biggest crowd they can that are used to comic book stories, which for star wars usually amounts to outlandish nonsense and attempts at ridiculous fan service moments to create a couple of cool art work pages, but end up just ending ridiculous in canon.

I wish they'd stuck with levels of Canon like George did - anything on film/tv is true canon, and then anything else is maybe canon until seen on screen

George didn't give two fucks what was canon or not, especially as the toy lines started running out of material to adapt.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish they'd stuck with levels of Canon like George did - anything on film/tv is true canon, and then anything else is maybe canon until seen on screen

That isn't how the old canon worked at all. The "levels" existed only to resolve discrepencies if they existed; i.e., if a book contradicted a movie, the movie was canon. But the old EU worked the same way the new one does -- everything was "equally" canon until a contradiction arose.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Z7HeRxU.jpg

Let's not lie to ourselves. Even as a 12 year old in the 90's I knew you the majority of EU stuff was crap equivalent to a Goosebumps book.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The levels of canon still exist, they're just implicit now. The old EU had a weird way of making explicit a principle that applies to all franchises ever (Doctor Who for example).

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The burden on content makes for very dumb shit taking place from time to time. Revels, for me, is the one that veers closer to "oh god no" since its so closely tied to the actual movies and basically nullifies all Jedi being dead or extinct before the OT. There were Jedi all over the place doing crazy shit So it really waters down Luke and his crew.

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019
The burden on content makes for very dumb shit taking place from time to time. Revels, for me, is the one that veers closer to "oh god no" since its so closely tied to the actual movies and basically nullifies all Jedi being dead or extinct before the OT. There were Jedi all over the place doing crazy shit So it really waters down Luke and his crew.

The show got rid of both Kanan and Ezra though which only leaves Ahsoka (and some Inquisitors I guess) alive for the OT period.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Is i
The Vader series are fuckin' great, yeah.

I loved Inspector Thanoth (dude with the monocle), it's a shame Vader ended up killing him off. But at the same time, I loved how the guy just went "yeah I know way too much for you to let me live, I'm gonna save you the trouble of hunting me down. I think you'd be a better Emperor than Palpatine, btw, I'm just loyal to the Empire, not the Emperor, and I think you'd do a better job than him. Good talk, Anakin."

Is it possible to get the Vader series digitally? On an iPad, for example? How do I know which one I'm looking for?

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The ending of Rogue One is offensively bad, and the only thing that makes me feel conflicted about it as a movie on the whole.

You can tell it's a movie that got a frankensteined final cut, but it mostly works (excluding the awful R2/3PO and "I don't like you either" cameos), but the ending just makes ANH feel so much more stupid if you take the canon at face value.

Why the fuck was Leia even there with Tantive IV to begin with? It would've been so much better if they showed the plans being sent off-world, to Leia receiving them from the ship. Involving Vader and the ship just makes him and the empire seem like idiot chumps.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Why the fuck was Leia even there with Tantive IV to begin with? It would've been so much better if they showed the plans being sent off-world, to Leia receiving them from the ship. Involving Vader and the ship just makes him and the empire seem like idiot chumps.
She's actively participating in the rebellion, and the entire rebel fleet was at Scariff, I don't find it odd that she's there.

In the Dark Horse EU comics Leia was delivering medical supplies to "refugees" in Imperial occupied war zones, in reality, it was military grade medical supplies. One planet she was on, an insurgent delivered the death star plans to her, in which Vader tracked her from there onto ANH.

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The real "problem" with the comics is the movie directors don't read them. The comics may be shit, but it doesn't even matter; they could be the best comics ever, but what does it matter since the people doing the movies haven't even read them? The comics will never impact the movies beyond blink-and-you-miss-it cameos.

I feel like the Star wars universe is large enough that it doesn't actually matter if the movies ever reference these other sources. There are just a ton of stories in this universe and whether or not certain things reference them or not doesn't really matter, the stories are what they are.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I don't understand what's wrong with it

Vader know who Luke is in ESB. He's chasing HIM. He's luring HIM. It implies Vader knows him for a little bit more than "the guy that destroyed the death star"

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
The comics do a lot of dumb, silly stuff, but most of it is fun to just see unfold. Things like Vader returning to Geonosis and remembering his time with Padme add stuff to the character in a good way that I sometimes think about when watching the movies, but I've never watched Empire and been like "ugh this scene is ruined because of those three times they met before this."

If you're gonna read the comics I think the best approach is to treat the stuff you like as a positive, and just have fun with the silly stuff or forget the stuff you don't like (because there's a 99% chance it won't ever be referenced outside of the comics anyway)

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Are the Rogue Squadron books still worth a read? Always enjoyed the games even if sometimes played loose with the lore. Even so I always felt they slipped in the games between movies quite well. Stuff like Kasaan Moor and learning more of the characters within the Rogue Squadron and stuff like attacking empire installations and prisoner breakouts seemed more uh grounded and interesting than the gang gets lightsabers and some cringey Vader lines that are supposed to be bassass but make him sound like a teenage edgelord.

Was always worried the SW supplementary media was total wank and this thread and really reaffirmed that for old and new. Some of these examples holy fucking shit.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Does fanfiction just refer to "things I dislike" nowadays?

Because I always thought the comics were canon until stated otherwise

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
How long did it take the old EU to have Jedi who weren't in the movies running around being not dead?
Oh yeah no idea, Il sure they fucked it up as well. No value judgments on that end just stating personal preference.

For me the gap between prequels and RotJ is a specific time where you should explore how dire it is for regular people to try and defeat a Sith Lord because there are no Jedi to save them

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand what's wrong with it

Vader know who Luke is in ESB. He's chasing HIM. He's luring HIM. It implies Vader knows him for a little bit more than "the guy that destroyed the death star"
And considering that Luke didn't realize until four years and multiple kisses after the meeting that Leia was his sister, it's not like you look at someone in this universe and instantly realize that you're related.

Oh yeah no idea, Il sure they fucked it up as well. No value judgments on that end just stating personal preference.

For me the gap between prequels and RotJ is a specific time where you should explore how dire it is for regular people to try and defeat a Sith Lord because there are no Jedi to save them
I mean, with the jedi reduced to such low numbers, that is still a factor, they can't be everywhere at once. They have no authority. And exposing themselves tends to = death and the jedi who were able to do anything contributed in very small ways compared to Luke.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The Empire WAS originally around for a long time. Lucas retconned this at some point, but originally the Empire had been around for a long time and there had been multiple Emperors in office prior to ANH according to the ANH novelization:

Indeed the Emperor was meant to be an ineffectual figurehead, with military governors like Tarkin being the real power in the Empire, which is why he's able to boss Vader around in ANH. Vader was meant to be more like Maul later was, merely an attack dog and not the second in command of the whole show.

Goes to show that canon's always been shifting and people should just roll with it instead of drawing lines in the sand.

TableBeRound

Alt account
Banned
Oct 21, 2019

Then again I think it makes sense that some Jedi slipped through the cracks, especially Padawans (Kanan, Ahsoka, Cal etc.).

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Then again I think it makes sense that some Jedi slipped through the cracks, especially Padawans (Kanan, Ahsoka, Cal etc.).

Right, there were thousands of them and not all would have been deployed at the front lines. That's why Vader put in the emergency retreat signal at the Jedi Temple that Obi-Wan and Yoda deactivated, because not all of them would have been in reach of the clone troops.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She's actively participating in the rebellion, and the entire rebel fleet was at Scariff, I don't find it odd that she's there.

In the Dark Horse EU comics Leia was delivering medical supplies to "refugees" in Imperial occupied war zones, in reality, it was military grade medical supplies. One planet she was on, an insurgent delivered the death star plans to her, in which Vader tracked her from there onto ANH.

She never came off as a foot-soldier that would end up in war zones based on ANH. She used her status to be an influential diplomat and spy. I never saw the rebels as wanting to put her in active war zones due to how valuable she was.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Isn't Vader convinced (in both ESB and RotJ) that Luke received all of his training from Obi Wan? Because no one knows Yoda is alive? Wouldn't he be quite shocked by Luke's improvement between that first panel and ESB, even if he still wasn't a threat?

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
How long did it take the old EU to have Jedi who weren't in the movies running around being not dead?
The majority of the EU comics on the Jedi who survived the purge were stories between the prequels and the OT. Their stories are usually involve them hiding and trying to survive. A few tried to fight the Empire and Vader and almost all of them were killed by Vader.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Isn't Vader convinced (in both ESB and RotJ) that Luke received all of his training from Obi Wan? Because no one knows Yoda is alive? Wouldn't he be quite shocked by Luke's improvement between that first panel and ESB, even if he still wasn't a threat?

Maybe he gleaned that Obi-Wan was able to reach him as a force ghost. Or just assumed Luke was self-teaching.