• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
I refuse to get a RE4 remake with any content cut from the original. I can just imagine the shit storm it's going to cause if they half ass 4 the way they did 3.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I just bought this game last week. It should arrive tomorrow. RE3 was my favorite from the PS1.

After this thread I'm afraid for what they did to the game.

Oct 27, 2017
The opportunity to make REmake 3 something unique and beyond its original incarnation: gone. Lost in time, like tears in rain. But Peter Fabiano (Producer) here says that the game is a "finished product" and it is their true [nurtured] vision. Maybe in 20 years when they remake the remake their vision will improve.

Last edited:

Geinrendour

Jun 3, 2018
Although I must say I loved it, I must ask: has any other game this year not been forgotten?
I guess the anglosphere would say Animal Crossing, but I just don't feel it. Besides that, what kind of expectation did you have for the game?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
People are way too concern about a game "living or dying".

If it's not a multiplayer game it's not a big deal if people stop talking about it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original is easily one of the most well remembered PS1 titles.

Nemesis, Jill (her RE3 version specifically) and Raccoon City are some of the most recognizable and iconic aspects that come to mind when discussing RE franchise.

I am really confused by the revisionist history surrounding the original now.
Even at the time of its release, Resident Evil 3 seemed kind of slipshod and outdated. It was an obvious sidestory packaged as a sequel, and it did little to advance the ongoing story. It was using the same muddy pre-rendered backgrounds that people were kinda tired of, along with the same frustrating and tiresome tank controls. Metal Gear Solid had come along and shown the world how amazing and cinematic a full 3D game can look. Even within the survival horror genre, Silent Hill and Dino Crisis were using fully polygonal worlds to great effect. The Dreamcast was released in the USA just a couple weeks prior to RE3, and people were looking towards the future. Code Veronica was just on the horizon, and was clearly the more interesting and promising project since it promised both new tech and new story.

None of this is to say that RE3 was bad, but it was not in a position to hold much mindshare. It released in the wake of both the Dreamcast and Final Fantasy 8.....then the next couple months brought the world Medal of Honor, Gran Turismo 2, Unreal Tournament, Quake 3 Arena, Jet Force Gemini, Donkey Kong 64, etc. RE3 is certainly remembered by fans of the series, but history forgot it because it was a very backward-looking game released in a very forward-looking time.

Proc

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't forgotten about it and I look fondly of the time I spent with it. Reccomended to any fan of the series, especially on sale.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They fucked up with the pacing of the game. Removing the clock tower and park was a mistake. Dog Nemesis was a mistake. Not giving you another area where he chases you around as you're trying to complete puzzles was a mistake.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The "ha ha just like the original" takes are silly, lame potshots at the original RE3.

Sure, the original was smaller than RE2 with its two playable protagonists and alternate scenarios but it was still a solid game with some freedom afforded to the player at the outset, had a good amount of replayablity w/ its live selection system and random item placement and alternate cutscenes, and it there was a nice amount of variety in its environements. But RE3R left all of that out so its actually far worse as a remake.
The original is easily one of the most well remembered PS1 titles.

Nemesis, Jill (her RE3 version specifically) and Raccoon City are some of the most recognizable and iconic aspects that come to mind when discussing RE franchise.

I am really confused by the revisionist history surrounding the original now.
Preach.

Jul 26, 2018
95% of games are "forgotten" after their initial launch time. It's pretty much being discussed as much or better said as little as Nioh 2, DOOM Eternal and DBZ Kakarot. Once it's 19.99 for BF the discussion will start again and then die down shortly after. It's not a big deal

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
It's not really about that. A lot of people seems to be confusing immediate attention and legacy. I mean the latter. The problem is not that RE3 is not being talked about right now, that's natural, the problem is that there is no reason to talk about it in the future.

And that's a problem because...? Capcom's not gonna cancel the series based on RE3R's performance or legacy. Most games of the series aren't constantly talked about--RE1' s the foundation of one of Capcom's mega franchises, and 2, REmake, RE4 are all considered masterpieces. 3 rounded out the original trilogy, and Nemesis got props. REVII's got the "Well, they didn't fuck it up as bad as 6 mojo to it", and REmake 2 might linger on.. The rest, at least from where I stand, range from "another sequel by Capcom" to "it ran off the rails here".

Oct 28, 2017
They were right to call it Resident Evil 3 and not Resident Evil 3: Nemesis. I will continue to patiently wait for my Nemesis Remake.

On its own merits the game was good though I really enjoyed it. Mechanically it was really fun I loved the execution of the dodge and the game had really good boss fights and action. I just prefer not to think of the game as a remake.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
And that's a problem because...? Capcom's not gonna cancel the series based on RE3R's performance or legacy. Most games of the series aren't constantly talked about--RE1' s the foundation of one of Capcom's mega franchises, and 2, REmake, RE4 are all considered masterpieces. 3 rounded out the original trilogy, and Nemesis got props. REVII's got the "Well, they didn't fuck it up as bad as 6 mojo to it", and REmake 2 might linger on.. The rest, at least from where I stand, range from "another sequel by Capcom" to "it ran off the rails here".

Because REmake 3 is just an ok-ish game, while the original was anything but. It's also a massive drop in quality when compared with previous remakes, especially RE2 which was released just one year before.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
It was a really underwhelming remake

The Dreamcast was released in the USA just a couple weeks prior to RE3, and people were looking towards the future. Code Veronica was just on the horizon, and was clearly the more interesting and promising project since it promised both new tech and new story.

Though in the end, Code Veronica sold less than a third of what Resident Evil 3 did

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished it 20 times, amazing game. If a game is good enough that I'll play it over and over again who cares if it's short.

Last edited:

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
It was the most blockbuster Resident Evil game since 6 and fulfilled that role. Personally I enjoyed it and got my money's worth but it won't have the lasting impact of VII or 2R, to a lesser extent.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
huh, after posting on pg 2 i just finished my first run and it took 5:45. i dont feel like i got my $40 worth 😑

MeepMerp

Alt Account
May 2, 2020
It really should have been a $50 DLC. It's too short for that kind of price tag, and the game is lacking so much polish.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I got it free with my video card and have been enjoying it this past week or so. It's sort of refreshing how simple yet engaging it is.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
RE3 is not a bad game at all, it's just that RE2 was better in my opinion. Didn't stop me from enjoying it though

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Not a massive RE fan where I GOTTA have it, and it just kind of seemed like more of the same and too soon, but less interesting than the RE2 Remake.

Plus, for me, the worst and most frustrating part of RE2 was Mr. X and RE3 Remake seems like it doubled down on that mechanic with Nemesis. So I definitely wasn't interested.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
In one hand, yeah, very unfortunate. On the other, hell yeah, bring the deep price cuts capcom.

Seriously though? I will wait for mods to fill the missing content.

There is alreadly a ton of them, but they seems obssed with jill outfits.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not a massive RE fan where I GOTTA have it, and it just kind of seemed like more of the same and too soon, but less interesting than the RE2 Remake.

Plus, for me, the worst and most frustrating part of RE2 was Mr. X and RE3 Remake seems like it doubled down on that mechanic with Nemesis. So I definitely wasn't interested.
Well Nemesis is barely even a threat now. He stalks you for 5 minutes and that's it. Every time he is in the game a cutscene starts and it basically becomes a set piece involving him.

As someone who expected a Mr X on steroids I was very disappointed.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I'm baffled that people have a problem with Nemesis?
Firstly, did they only play the first 30 minutes?
Secondly, he is an integral part of the story, A FRICKIN' BOSS, so how exactly would that work?

Also, he's not like Mr. X and
is only used as a chase scene between areas/chapters

I liked the game a lot as I played RE3 Remake for the first time this week. Short, sweet and action packed. Looked great just like RE2 Remake, but like the original it will live in RE2s shadow.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly almost already forgot that it came out this year, this topic reminded me. I actually liked the game, but yeah, it was painfully short. I done 3 playthroughs and according to steam my total playtime is still under 10 hours lol

I think the game was an extra hour or so away from being truly great, but as it stands it was basically the lenght of a CoD campaign but without the compelling MP/coop modes. Resistance is.... not it.

RESIDENT EVIL RESISTANCE - Steam Charts

An ongoing analysis of Steam's player numbers, seeing what's been played the most.

Even just including mercs would've done wonders, this game really begs for it with its action focus.

Oct 28, 2017
hot take: original RE3 is better than original RE2 and the remake deserved to be similarly better. original RE3 is almost the best game in the series, only behind the sublime RE1 remake. I wish we lived in the timeline where we got RE2 and RE3 remakes in that style, but even for the style of remake we got, we got robbed of what could have been an even more incredible game than the RE2 remake, imho

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
I still can't fathom how they thought it was a good idea to make an actual killing machine with only one purpose (get rid of STARS) make so many mistakes.

If you were grabbed by Nemesis for any reason in the original, you were scrambling physically (mashing buttons) and mentally (If I don't escape, I'm dead) because he was an actual threat that doesn't pause or let you breathe for very long.

This guy... grabs you with a tentacle lash, walks up to you and... waits. He can grab you, smash you to the floor and... waits. In cutscenes, on numerous occasions had Jill completely vulnerable (twice or maybe even three times grabs her by the head) but does something stupid like toss her aside and just... waits.

I'm having a hard time believing a killing machine with a purpose makes that many weird decisions one after another. It's nitpicking for sure, but when it and random stuff like a helicopter blowing up for no reason keeps happening, I really notice the lack of 'urgency' I had when playing OG RE3. I rarely felt safe. In this game, heck even in the opening, she closes the door behind her and the game waits for you to move on. Nemesis patiently waits for you to move ahead so he can break down that door.

I could keep going, I have many many issues with the game and definitely want to forget it. I can say, at least, gameplay wise what's there is good. It's by no means a bad game or anything.

But man, what could have been...

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
It has some serious pacing issues, where the whole game kinda feels like the back-half of Remake 2 after you leave the police station. The levels feel really small and it doesn't take long before you've cleared them out and you're being funneled to the next place. Half the time I wasn't even sure what I was doing, and then it felt like it just ends.

That and Nemesis feels much flatter than Mr. X, he's sort of too powerful to be scary, in a weird way. There were certain parts where I just kept dying to him over and over, to the point where I became kinda numb to him and he just started being this annoying thing I had to get lucky to get past. Hearing Mr. X stomping around the floor above you, there was so much tension to the way he would advance towards you, it was so much scarier than nemesis just dropping in and flesh whipping you. Technically he's more lethal, but he ends up being more annoying than exciting.

Oct 27, 2017
Does a game nowadays need to have a certain amount of hype after certain amount of time to be worthy? I think simply existing and being good should give the game enough validation.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It will always hurt, especially considering how much love went into the first two remakes. It's a good game but it could've been so much more. I can't help but think that everytime I think about the game. Jill is my favorite RE3 protag and I was so pumped for this. It's a shame I ended up having such mixed feelings

So long, RC

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Having not played the original, I came in with tepid expectations (I distinctly remember RE3 not being that loved at the time, which was the reason I skipped it), but I found it to be a very enjoyable, easily replayable, densely packed action game. I was surprised by how much of an action game this really is, I always thought RE3 was more like RE2 in that regard (maybe it is and they cut all that from the Remake).

I ended up getting a platinum trophy which is something I normally don't care for, but I found myself wanting to play the game more.

Jinroh

Oct 28, 2017
Lausanne, Switzerland
It should have featured the park, the clock tower, the dead factory, expended street section as well as shirtless Nemesis.

Also get rid of the stupid nest lab, the factory was a fantastic design.

(and get rid of this pointless nemesis redesign with his silly twisted nose.)

If they can't properly remake RE3 into a solid 6-8 hours game for 60 bucks, what are they going to do with RE4, which is at least 2 or 3 times as long?

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
Underwhelming remake, but a decent attempt

Honestly its just the lack of content rather than quality that bothers me