• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

When did you stop trying to talk to all NPCs?

• Talking to...NPCs?

Votes: 53 8.3%
  • After the first or second town/village area

Votes: 120 18.9%
  • Somewhere around the mid-way point.

Votes: 146 23.0%
  • The Game isn't complete unless I talk to every. single. person.

Votes: 317 49.8%

• Total voters

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
Depending on the game.
For exemple in Baldur's gate, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Alpha Protocol… i talk to everyone
But in Pillars Of Eternity, i stoped talking to people because it was too much to read for Nothing (also, when i played the game it was not translated in French)

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I always talk to EVERY NPC. And I talk so often to them until they don't have anything new to say anymore, lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Right away?

Most game only have short sentences uttered by the majority of their NPCs. If it's jot a game with a deep conversation system or some necessary gameplay element, I ignore pretty much all of them from the start.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
I talk to them, but there often gets a point where I am actively just searching for quest triggers. Sometimes the dialogue is SO UTTERLY TURGID that I feel forced to simply read the subtitles and skip the voice acting.

Dragon Age: Origins was pretty bad for this. Knights Of The Old Republic too. Waves and waves of NPCs who absolutely love to expose their entire thoughts about their menial lives, adding precisely no colour to the game or story.

I can deal with cut-scenes, because you're watching something play out, but 5 minutes of someone's face telling me about how some fucking thing like how many horses use a road per day and a detailed history of the construction of the road - no.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
It very much depends on the game. If it becomes clear NPC's are there with nonsense flavor text only, fairly quickly. If they have interesting things to say or can occasionally give items, everyone is getting talked to.

FFXII is one I played recently where I basically did not talk to anyone on my replay. It's almost all flavor text unless you are looking for something specific.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I get bored quickly in the first town where it's either basic world-building or tutorial talk. In subsequent towns, I usually talk (until repeated dialogue) with one or two people on my route.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
I never talk to all NPCs, not even in the beginning.

tenor.gif

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Depends on the game and how invested I am in the lore and the world. In trails of series for example I talk to a lot of NPCs (not all because the sheer amount is staggering). In Mass Effect trilogy I pretty much exhausted every dialogue I could find. In Outer Worlds I probably skip most of it, it's a good game but npcs outside story quests dont really have anything interesting to say.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day when secret characters were a thing, it was mandatory to talk to everyone. However, now that we have inexplicably lost that, I don't usually bother.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe half an hour of reading everything an NPC has to say. Shortly after that I continue starting a conversation with everyone I see but fast forward through dialogue - I still talk to them because I've learned from experience that some NPCs might net you an item, but at that point I've lost interest in giving a shit what they have to say.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I talk to every NPC, and then when a plot flag happens I talk to them all again, etc. aka I have actual OCD and that is why DQXI took me like 300 hours to complete (I am actually still not 100% done)

Oct 3, 2019
That all depends on how interesting the world is to me.

On a similar note I fucking hate when NPCs have multiple dialogues that require you to talk to them more than once, especially when some only have one. STOP THAT

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
One playthrough unless writing is extremely poor (eg Skyrim)

I talk with everyone as habit. Specially in pokemon games since theres always some npcs who give you good stuff so i do it to memorize which ones

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I don't. Sometimes i don't talk with every npc, but i would do the next town. Sometimes not all, but half of them, but i never just stop.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I "sample" the NPCs in the first half hour then make my mind if it's going to be worth talking to non critical NPCs from there on out.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
Why would I stop talking to npcs? Inject that lore into my veins.

I'm actually surprised I'm skipping dialog for the first time ever in Death Stranding, but it's only the "thank you" from when you complete standard delivery

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
As a kid/teen I'd speak to most.

As an adult not a single one, don't give a fuck and don't have the time.

Jannyish

Dec 16, 2017
It depends on the game really. If the NPCs are well-written and have actually relevant dialogue or stories, I will talk to them through the end. For example, playing through a Kiseki game without talking to the NPCs really is like just playing half the game.

In franchises like Pokémon, I literally only do it because Game Freak keeps hiding items behind NPC dialogue without marking it on a map.

And for every new game I will just try for like 10 hours and if I feel like the npc dialogue isn't adding anything of worth to the game, I will stop.

Mirabai

Nov 4, 2017
I talk to no NPC unless i have to. I play RPGs for the combat, i dont care about the lore. So i said it.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I tend to talk to every NPC.

It becomes a problem because some games put too much effort into their NPCs.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
It really depends on the game. In Outer Worlds, I stopped talking to NPCs (even some of my own crew members) when I reached Monarch. That's when I realised how shallow that game was.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I found Outer World NPC talking tolerable only if I play for 2 hours and take a long 2 day break. Otherwise my patience for listening to their crap runs thin.
I really need to socialize more lol

Thac0

Nov 15, 2017
Yeah, I don't understand the question. Talking to all the characters is the game for me.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my book, an RPG where I don't want to talk to the NPCs is a failed RPG.

Definitely talked to everyone in the Gold Box games, Dragon Warrior I-IV, Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect 1/2/3, Undertale, and NieR Automata.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how engaged I an with the game and its world. In something like Outer Worlds, I talk to everyone and exhaust all the dialogue. That IS the game to me.

In something like Persona 5, I did talk to the towns people quite a lot until I got tired of the game's poor pacing and I just wanted to finish it.

Oct 27, 2017
One of the things I struggle with when it comes to npc heavy rpgs. I don't want to miss out on content or secrets but I usually get tired of talking to everyone real quick.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
I talk to everyone but start skimming through dialogue at some point even if the game has amazing writing honestly.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Some times when I try to do this I take it so far that it feels more like I am checking boxes than organically experiencing the world. In my 25+ years of gaming, I have yet to figure it out.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Never, pretty much. I would say "as long as it's a game with interesting writing," but if it's not, I wouldn't continue playing it in the first place.

HereticGrin

Feb 16, 2018
I try not to talk to any NPCs I don't have to, unless they give me missions or are part of a mission I don't waste my time.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
If they're important characters with changing dialogue then I'll always try to hit them up but if it's just random NPCs in a town that have the same three lines, I'll stop almost immediately.