• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine being the people that obsess over other sites and hope for their downfall.

I mean... just imagine.

giphy.gif

And don't worry OP, if every post we've ever made was also made public many of us would likely fare no better.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there was some really bad stuff in the images I saw. Obviously I can;t say for sure what's in your heart, but your posts on here don;t make me doubt your apology. For the trans stuff (the only stuff I'm even remotely qualified to comment on) I'm looking past it. Just, uh, don't do it again. For everything else, I will defer to the affected communities.

Ask yourself this. If some celebrity said something really awful in the early to mid 2010s, would it be okay to brush it off as "well that was years ago?".

And at times like this it is critically important that we first and foremost listen to those impacted by these statements, and that is certainly not me. I want those people to chime in with their thoughts and feelings.
I think it would all be dependent on whether the person in question was still saying similar things and if they issued an apology to those possibly hurt by their words.

You're certainly right on the latter.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
how do you know a person has changed? cause they stopped posting it? when a person shows you who they are, time doesnt change it. people should be held accountable for shit they said. i dont care if it was 500 years ago.

500 years ago, none of us existed. This forum didn't exist. The internet didn't exist. Computers didn't exist.

I know that you're saying that for effect, but denying change denies that a person ever exists in the first place, because people exist as a result of change. I'm willing to bet you were a baby at one point, and maybe you're an adult now. Change is an essential part of the human experience.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
This is so ridiculously wrong. Nobody is the same person their entire lives. People learn. People grow. People change. Their opinions change. Their outlooks change.

To say that it's impossible for anyone to change when given time and information is absurd.
of course people change. learning and growing are two different things from being a racist and then stop being racist. that is not something you "learn and grow from". that is who you are.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
what is the proof that he changed? cause he said so? if hitler was resurrected today and said "you know what, that was wrong, that's not me anymore" you would say "oh that was 60 years ago. he's different" lmao
Nothing to do with an apology. It's the lack of offensive content in anything he posts here. You can also see the support he gets from other marginalized groups within our community.

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
I'm a queer woman, and a mod for six months now, and I definitely trust B-dubs. Rest assured, I would hold no punches should anyone on staff cross any lines, him included. But during my time on staff, he has done no such thing, quite the opposite, and has done nothing but listening and trusting minority mods, and be respectful and empathetic with everyone.

I'm mostly saddened at the pathetic lives people trying to weaponize any single thing to attack and defame this website must be leading. We be truly living rent-free in their heads. Go take a bubble bath instead, or take a hike, idk. Do something more productive with your lives.

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
I can assure you that no one has expressed a lack of faith or discomfort with him. He's always taken the concerns of minorities seriously, has shown compassion and kindness to us, and has pushed to have our voices heard. I quoted you because I felt comfortable wading into the thread. I'm not going to ask or expect for anyone else to do that, though.
I wasn't really feeling this apology but if you vouch for him then he's fine in my book. I trust you Mist

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I'm just a member now, but I did work with Dubs for over a year.

In my time working with him, I never knew him as anything other than compassionate and considerate. He's extremely committed to this community and its members. Nobody who didn't believe in the ideals of this forum would dedicate themselves as intensely as he does.

In problem solving he was always one of the last to talk. He's a big listener. He cares a lot about the experiences and perspectives of other people and doesn't make decisions without them. He never acted like he knew better than anyone else, something I wish I could say for myself. It made sense to me when I heard he took over the GM responsibilities here. He's the kind of guy who listens to everyone and cares what everyone has to say. It makes sense that somebody with these qualities would better and grow over time. He's also the kind of person I trust to help run a community like ours.

Our community has always had enemies since its inception. There are entire communities dedicated just to hating us and wanting us to hate each other too. This isn't the first and probably won't be the last time they try to trick us in to eating each other. I believe very firmly that we have to love each other here — we are all we have. That means trusting each other over trolls.

I trust Dubs, easily.

Well said, as usual

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
you all are a lost cause man lmao. the next time someone says some trifling shit i will be sure to remind you all that "hey they can grow and change"

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
People change. Anyone that says different has very little real life experience. That doesn't mean everyone changes, nothing is absolute. But to act like people can't change their views is ignorant and depressing.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
People change. Anyone that says different has very little real life experience. That doesn't mean everyone changes, nothing is absolute. But to act like people can't change their views is ignorant and depressing.
This. I totally understand being skeptical or pessimistic about someone saying they have changed, but to claim that it's impossible for someone to change is ridiculous.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you all are a lost cause man lmao. the next time someone says some trifling shit i will be sure to remind you all that "hey they can grow and change"

I wouldn't assume someone changed just because. But if they have shown me nothing but the opposite over the 2 years that I've known them, then it's a different matter. I would not be exaggerating if I said he's one of the people who goes hardest on racism, transphobia and all kinds of bigotry, for example. And gives the minority staff from those backgrounds full reign and support to do the same. He's frankly, extremely ashamed of those posts.

I understand that that doesn't mean that you have to forgive him. That's something everyone has to decide on their own. I'm just giving context for my own feelings on the matter. If I had any doubts, I wouldn't be here right now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't cosign a loan, help him move, or loan him 20 dollars but other than those thingsI got B-Dubs back

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
i'm no one, but these bad actors actively indulge in these violations while knowing they themselves aren't beholden to the rules they hunt others down for are the most immoral and unethical of people. Their actions should be seen in the context of that and met with due diligence and concern for your own cause these fuckers sure as hell don't actually give a fuck for the moral and ethical standards they target others with.

edit: and would burn this place down and salt the earth it sits on with no regret and utter glee. all their actions should be seen in that context and met with accordingly.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I wouldn't assume someone changed just because. But if they have shown me nothing but the opposite over the 2 years that I've known them, then it's a different matter. I would not be exaggerating if I said he's one of the people who goes hardest on racism, transphobia and all kinds of bigotry, for example. And gives the minority staff from those backgrounds full reign and support to do the same. He's frankly, extremely ashamed of those posts.

I understand that that doesn't mean that you have to forgive him. That's something everyone has to decide on their own. I'm just giving context for my own feelings on the matter. If I had any doubts, I wouldn't be here right now.
according to the logic in this thread, time heals all. so no need to ban anyone for these type of offensives because in a few years there's the chance they'll change

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
according to the logic in this thread, time heals all. so no need to ban anyone for these type of offensives because in a few years there's the chance they'll change
N-no? You can believe that people can change while still banning them as there should be no room in the community for those that currently hold bigoted views.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
of course people change. learning and growing are two different things from being a racist and then stop being racist. that is not something you "learn and grow from". that is who you are.
Maybe I'm conflating things, but racists aren't inhuman creatures who are corrupt to their very soul, and it's dangerous to treat them as they are. It's the sort of image that's often used to deny racism, by raising the standard of what constitutes a racist to something that no human can ever reached.

In case it's in question, I'm a first generation South Asian immigrant living in North America. I've also grown up surrounded by racism. I feel that I've seen unchecked racism on this forum itself and been frustrated by it, which I've commented on in communication to the staff on before.

I feel that we, as a society, are still very afraid of the word "racist". I don't think racists are something rare. There are a lot of racists out there who know exactly what they are and state that clearly, but many of them are convinced that what they're doing is somehow different. When I was in high school, I believed in the whole idea of "ironic racism" turning racism into the joke and disarming it. I had probably gradually absorbed that idea from my surroundings. By the time I came out, I had realized that a lot of the friends that my sense of humour had surrounded me with didn't think these sorts of things were stupid ideas to be mocked, but genuinely believed in them. I had normalized the ideas that I thought I was fighting. I had supported racism in practice.

Racism is something that has drawn the line on the map, determined the population distribution across our Earth. It's going to outlive us. We don't combat something like that by treating it is some mystical outside force that we have to strike against. It isn't like we just have to topple the Nazis or the KKK or the Republican party or Trump and racism just goes away like that. Some of these have been toppled already and it's still not gone. We have to recognize how it exists in our own lives and continually break it down.

I think most good people have probably had some bad qualities at some point in their life. What makes good people good is that they recognize that and address it. You don't necessarily decide to become a racist in the first place, but once you realize that's what you are, you can choose whether or not that's what you want to continue to be.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not bogus. if you were a racist 7 years ago, you are a racist today. that you think people change from those things is laughable

how do you know a person has changed? cause they stopped posting it? when a person shows you who they are, time doesnt change it. people should be held accountable for shit they said. i dont care if it was 500 years ago.

what is the proof that he changed? cause he said so? if hitler was resurrected today and said "you know what, that was wrong, that's not me anymore" you would say "oh that was 60 years ago. he's different" lmao

No one's born racist either, you have to become racist. And what if someone starts off cool, but then goes through a nasty breakup or whatever and starts posting about how all women are horrid and manipulative and go full black/red pill. Do you bring up a feminist post from 7 years ago and say, "these sexists posts don't reflect on their true character, people don't change, if you were feminist 7 years ago, you're feminist today!"

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He is taking your bad logic to the Nth degree to show how absurd it is.
The only absurd thing here to think someone should be punished for comments they made years ago on another site. Especially when they are clearly no longer that kind of person and has grown as a person. You can't just go around retroactively punishing people for every bad thing they have ever said in the past. If he said this stuff last week or last month on Era and has no regrets about the comments then yeah sure he should step down and be held accountable. But that's not the case. These are old comments on an entirely different site and he has obviously changed since then.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
N-no? You can believe that people can change while still banning them as there should be no room in the community for those that currently hold bigoted views.
so what's the parameters for change? why cant that person say "oh that was the old me 30 seconds ago. i dont feel like that anymore"?
Maybe I'm conflating things, but racists aren't inhuman creatures who are corrupt to their very soul, and it's dangerous to treat them as they are. It's the sort of image that's often used to deny racism, by raising the standard of what constitutes a racist to something that no human can ever reached.
yes, you seem to be conflating things. because im not sure what way youre trying to paint racism lmao. if youre racist, youre trash. not inhuman. you are very human. just a garbage one. telling ppl that if someone is racist they will remain that is in no way a denial of racism. the idea that someone can disarm hate from another is the kind of idiocy people use to say things like "we just need to hold a dialogue with them"
Some of these have been toppled already and it's still not gone. We have to recognize how it exists in our own lives and continually break it down.
so you can acknowledge and understand that racism is an ideology and not one that simply goes away lol
No one's born racist either, you have to become racist. And what if someone starts off cool, but then goes through a nasty breakup or whatever and starts posting about how all women are horrid and manipulative and go full black/red pill. Do you bring up a feminist post from 7 years ago and say, "these sexists posts don't reflect on their true character, people don't change, if you were feminist 7 years ago, you're feminist today!"
what an...interesting example you tried to use there lmao. you are taught racism yes. but if you suddenly hate women because you had a bad experience you were never a feminist to begin with? your example doesnt work in the reverse of what im talking about. that's like you saying somebody who 7 years ago said they love all races cant become racist lmao.you guys just keep digging

Last edited:

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
I've been moderating here for about 6 months as well, and can honestly say that B-Dubs is a fantastic person. As some of the others have stated, he is a good listener and fights bigots. I can also say as a genderfluid mod, my opinion has been respected.

I'd also totally loan him a comic. Even one of my hard to find ones.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
feel like that's more corny than edgy

Sure, and it wasn't meant to be edgy either, thought it would be read as a sarcastic, considering the economy was in recovery and Acti-Blizzard flush with cash was out there fucking employees over.

It was a dumb post to make, I had no hard feelings to the mod staff.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
so what's the parameters for change? why cant that person say "oh that was the old me 30 seconds ago. i dont feel like that anymore"?
Because we as humans are capable of processing information and determining whether to believe what someone tells us or not.

As for parameters, that's on each of us individually. For me it's based on the person's current (As in months/years, not seconds) actions.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been moderating here for about 6 months as well, and can honestly say that B-Dubs is a fantastic person. As some of the others have stated, he is a good listener and fights bigots. I can also say as a genderfluid mod, my opinion has been respected.

I'd also totally loan him a comic. Even one of my hard to find ones.

That's what I like about you Amber, you're far too trusting. Btw, I need some money for the bus....like $200. It's a big bus.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
so you can acknowledge and understand that racism is an ideology and not one that simply goes away lol

That's exactly it. It doesn't simply go away, so we have to actively recognize it and make it go away, not just shrug our shoulders. Racism is a ideology; it's a set of ideas created for political purposes. As powerful as it is, it's not something that has always existed and not something that has to exist before.

A lot of racists won't change. It isn't worthwhile engaging every single one, and we have no reason to give them the time of day. We should strike down at those hard. But I do think we should encourage people who want to improve to do so.

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
I wouldn't still be around if I didn't trust Dubs' judgment on issues, particularly those involving bigotry and the like. I've been around since ResetEra started and if he was still that same person, I'd be gone in a flash. I trust him implicitly.

That's what I like about you Amber, you're far too trusting. Btw, I need some money for the bus....like $200. It's a big bus.
NO. BAD VOLIMAR.

You aren't tricking anyone again.

Status
Not open for further replies.