• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Lets not forget this scene, which has never been topped in any DC film ever to this day. By not including a version of this, it truly shows how little Snyder understands the character of Lois Lane.

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Oh, I forgot..and this scene from Superman 2, where a fully-powered Superman gets his revenge on a jerk in a diner who beat him up earlier in the film, after rewinding time to a point BEFORE the original fight happened and therefore beat the shit out of the guy for something he never did!

Truly more proof that Snyder doesn't understand the character.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Y'know.. I'm surprised Shannon's Zod never said "KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!"

Have you ever heard of intertextuality? That feeling you get when you see Benedict Cumberbatch say "I am Khan" which we only know from a previous work in the same franchise so it would be meaningless without it. This would be the same thing. Its meaning wouldn't have been in the substance but in the referential nature of the line. It's real weird.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It sucks that people in charge of superman live'action films end up being these miserable nihilistic pieces of shit that ruin the character, all this while stuff like Captain America nail the spirit of the movies.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I forgot..and this scene from Superman 2, where a fully-powered Superman gets his revenge on a jerk in a diner who beat him up earlier in the film, after rewinding time to a point BEFORE the original fight happened and therefore beat the shit out of the guy for something he never did!

Almost as bad as him giving up his powers so he could have endless sex with Lois in peace and quiet.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Why didn't Superman rewind time to set up an operation to save his father?

That's a ting right? Superman's flying around the earth to rewind time?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Nothing in that horrible, corny ass movie tops MoS. Not even that scene.

The entire themes and depiction of Superman tops Man of Steel. Man of Steel's trailer understands Superman more than the actual movie.

I'd hate to think what you'd think of The Lord of the Rings if corny is bad for you.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Sigh. I absolutely hate it when folks dismiss sincerity in a particular product as being "corny", or "square". Same thing regarding Raimi's Spiderman.

Funny you say that because i think the very same thing about Raimi's movies.

And i'm lost at your definition on sincerity. Superman in the animated world has sincerity and is not this corny.

The entire themes and depiction of Superman tops Man of Steel. Man of Steel's trailer understands Superman more than the actual movie.

I'd hate to think what you'd think of The Lord of the Rings if corny is bad for you.

I love LoTR, why it is corny?

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I love LoTR, why it is corny?

Paraphrasing:

"I may not be able to carry the ring, but I can carry you."
"Oh Sam"
"For Frodo"
"My friends you bow to no one"

The entire scene where the hobbits jump around on the bed and Gandalf comes in and laughs.

I love those movies but come onnnnnn it's cornball central. And part of the reason I love it is because of its sincerity.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
Paraphrasing:

"Oh Sam"
"For Frodo"

The entire scene where the hobbits jump around on the bed and Gandalf comes in and laughs.

I love those movies but come onnnnnn it's cornball central. And part of the reason I love it is because of its sincerity.
See, exactly. Don't dismiss one thing for being corny when you also enjoy a completely separate thing that also happens to have a similar tone to the previous thing.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
tenor.gif

THErest

Oct 25, 2017

?

Superman rewound time before he ever met that guy.
Unless you're talking about the Donner cut.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Paraphrasing:

"Oh Sam"
"For Frodo"

It may be sentimental. But is not banal, all that has the same themes, by your definition, humanity joining in battle at Palennor fields or Arwen leaving immortality in order to be with Aragorn will be under the same "cornball central" category and I disagree. But each to its own.

When Gandalf sprints around the middle earth in order to rewind time or Aragorn funky dances with new hairdo in order to humiliate Arwen maybe i will say "yaaaa corny shit"

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I had a similar thought about Smallville, as flawed as certain seasons could be, when I first watched Man of Steel.

Edit: Damn, beaten! Oh well.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017
The Flight scene in MoS is incredible, and it's soundtrack is stunning. One of the best superhero OSTs out there. Love that movie despite its flaws.

I'm super interested in seeing how Snyder finishes his arc in his Justice League film.

That is all.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

MoS is infinitely more corny (and horrible) than Superman '78. People born decades after 1978 enjoy Donner's Superman. MoS is already an embarrassing relic of its era.

Everything Snyder does ages like milk.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
We all talk about the tornado scene. How dumb it is... well, here's how the 1976 film did Jonathan Kent dying.

"All these powers and I couldn't even save him."

That line right now just sums up what angst Superman has... if any at all, he can't do it all. He can't save everyone. Pa Kent died of a heart attack. Mortality was something that not even he could stop.

Whereas in Man of Steel, it's just "No. Don't save me.. even though you probably could hide your powers anyway."

Makes you think.

Which is why the ending is a complete disaster

Oct 28, 2017
i appreciate what snyder was going for. but that scene just did not work at all in man of steel. I really like the movie, and I think some script tweets and few changes could have made it a classic. That scene would certainly be the first to go

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
It may be sentimental. But is not banal, all that has the same themes, by your definition, humanity joining in battle at Palennor fields or Arwen leaving immortality in order to be with Aragorn will be under the same "cornball central" category and I disagree. But each to its own.

When Gandalf sprints around the middle earth in order to rewind time or Aragorn funky dances with new hairdo in order to humiliate Arwen maybe i will say "yaaaa corny shit"

We'll have to have agree to disagree here. I don't even like Superman rewinding time, I can't suspend my disbelief at the scene, I hate it.

Deleted member 30544

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
MoS is infinitely more corny (and horrible) than Superman '78. People born decades after 1978 enjoy Donner's Superman. MoS is already an embarrassing relic of its era.

Everything Snyder does ages like milk.

That's your very respectable opinion altough i wholeheartedly desagree, that's the only thing i can do. Also there are lots of people who enjoy MoS a great deal (me included) and definitely don't see it as an embarrasing relic of an era, i don't even know what is that supposed to mean.

I believe Dawn of the Dead, 300 , MoS have aged good. BvS may be remembered more fondly in the future and once the Snyder's cut releases.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

He didn't rewind time in this one. He regained his powers and then went back to the dude for revenge.

Part 1 he rewinds time

Beef Supreme

Oct 25, 2017
Still the GOAT Superman. Everything about it was virtually perfect.

And anyone saying Shannon is better than Stamp .....

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Ah! That's right, he does do time travel again in that one (making it the shittier of the two releases)

If I'm remembering right, since the films were shot at the same time they used the time-reversing sequence planned for the second film to change the ending of the first one, as Superman originally saved Lois during the earthquake and captured Lex after, but the producers thought the ending was too anti-climactic and had no stakes. The Salkinds and Donner parted ways (obviously) and Lester was brought in to reconfigure part 2. The biggest problem with the Donner Cut is the presence of the sequence in the first film, because if you don't know the backstory and just watch them back to back, you're left wondering wtf they were thinking using the exact same "fix" in both films.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I knew what the scene would be before clicking on the thread. Such a good choice, op.

That one scene alone. Has a better depiction of Clark (and his father) than in all of the Snyderverse films.

Fuck me. I hate Objectivist Clark. So, so much.

This scene, also has a better depiction, of the contrast of both Clark and Batman's personalties. Than all of the Snyderverse films.

When you're watching this. Just remember, that a cartoon from the 90s, did more to showcase both characters in five mins. Than 200+ million dollar film, that was over 4 hours, did.

I never liked Pa Kent passing away so early in Clark's life.
Neither did Clark.

Jean Valjean

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Of course Superman The Movie does everything better than MoS.

Donner and Mankiewicz loved Superman, Snyder hates him apparently.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If I'm remembering right, since the films were shot at the same time they used the time-reversing sequence planned for the second film to change the ending of the first one, as Superman originally saved Lois during the earthquake and captured Lex after, but the producers thought the ending was too anti-climactic and had no stakes. The Salkinds and Donner parted ways (obviously) and Lester was brought in to reconfigure part 2. The biggest problem with the Donner Cut is the presence of the sequence in the first film, because if you don't know the backstory and just watch them back to back, you're left wondering wtf they were thinking using the exact same "fix" in both films.

I honestly wish Superman wasn't written to do that trick in any of them.

Him learning to deal with the permanence of death, understanding his limitations -- those are things that ground him and make him more attached to humanity. I'd much prefer that after Lois died, he was next faced with the choice of enacting lawful justice or violent retribution (on Lex and his empire).

I knew what the scene would be before clicking on the thread. Such a good choice, op.

That one scene alone. Has a better depiction of Clark (and his father) than in all of the Snyderverse films.

Fuck me. I hate Objectivist Clark. So, so much.

This scene, also has a better depiction, of the contrast of both Clark and Batman's personalties. Than all of the Snyderverse films.

When you're watching this. Just remember, that a cartoon from the 90s, did more to showcase both characters in five mins. Than 200+ million dollar film, that was over 4 hours, did.

Neither did Clark.

Same for Batman mask of the Phantasm

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Its called quality and with more than a touch of class.

Snyder is no where near the film director Richard Donner was.