• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
We all talk about the tornado scene. How dumb it is... well, here's how the 1976 film did Jonathan Kent dying.

"All these powers and I couldn't even save him."

That line right now just sums up what angst Superman has... if any at all, he can't do it all. He can't save everyone. Pa Kent died of a heart attack. Mortality was something that not even he could stop.

Whereas in Man of Steel, it's just "No. Don't save me.. even though you probably could hide your powers anyway."

Makes you think.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I knew the scene before I even opened the thread. You're right-it's absolute perfection.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Any given scene in Donner's Superman outdoes MOS, especially anything from the first act.

Huskman

Jan 21, 2019
Why didn't he use his x ray vision to warn his father of his incoming heart attack and begin a different lifestyle to avert such health issues?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
A real Superman would have heard his dad's troubled breathing patterns and irregular heartbeat. What a loser.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
There's been so many alternate DC takes on Superman's origins and none came close to handling Pa Kent's death as stupidly as Libertarian Superman did.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yep.
People are fragile and all will go, you can't do everything, but if you can just let them get sucked off by the sky.

DMczaf

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
But it gave us this amazing gif

ImpureEnchantedFlicker-max-1mb.gif

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Why the hell did they cast the "young" Clark Kent as someone who is only 5 years younger than Christopher Reeve and was already in his 20's?

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It was such an easy needle to thread. So easy to redo that scene. So easy to have Pa Kent refuse to let Clark whisk him to a hospital, and they tell the same story.

But no, they needed to make it big.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
If course it did it better than mos that's not a high bar to clear, lol. The first Superman movie actually wanted to make a Superman movie and understood him.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I loved that movie up until the end of the first time Superman rescues Lois. after that its kind of a dud for me. Still its a very strong origin movie for Superman and the music and casting was dope all around.

Also Michael Shannon's Zod in Man of Steel > Terrence Stamp in Superman 2

Shannon is just GOAT at unbridled rage.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
There is something so grand, almost operatic about that original Superman movie. It knew the power of quiet moments as well as the bombastic. Krypton is mesmerising and alien and epic. Superman is magic and honest and heartfelt - even though he has such amazing power, Christopher Reeve portrays him as such a benevolent hero. Lex Luthor is comic and charismatic, but not to be underestimated. The score is phenomenal!

Its just a damn fine movie to this day. Not perfect, but damn good. Nothing since has come close expect for the 1990s animated series.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
I loved that movie up until the end of the first time Superman rescues Lois. after that its kind of a dud for me. Still its a very strong origin movie for Superman and the music and casting was dope all around.

Also Michael Shannon's Zod > Terrence Stamp in Superman 2

Shannon is just GOAT at unbridled rage.
I think Terence Stamp has a coldness to him, that made his sheer sense of superiority, quite chilling. It's an interesting way to play the character and I think it really works.

It is sort of camp, but with a really quiet and confident commitment.

No disrespect to Shannon as an actor, but I just preferred what Stamp brought to the table.

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Disagree. There's one scene in Superman '78 that shows just how awe inspiring Supes should be to us here on Earth. The fact that Snyder didn't have this guy and his car waiting outside the ship when Cavill first emerged in the costume shows just how little Snyder knows about the character.

El Toporo

Oct 25, 2017
The opening credits alone are better than anything Zack Snyder has ever put on film. Granted, John Williams is a cheat code.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately curious to see his Justice League.

To see what fuckery he adds.

It'll be very serious and very dark and it'll remove all the cool bits that made the team seem like they were, well, a team because the Justice League has to hate each other and you'll see Batman in the background of every scene he's not in, jotting down notes on "How To Kill This Person".