• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Not a huge in-n-out fan, but I acknowledge it is kind of a regional obsession (see "Wawa's and the East Coast"). Five Guys and Whataburger being in the top few sounds right though

But who the fricking hell actually likes Sonic burgers? Every single thing they sell, other than the shakes, tastes like the same greasy residue. And I wouldn't be surprised if some of the shakes also taste like whatever brand of grease they use.

mittelos

Oct 27, 2017
I don't like getting into the comparison with In-N-Out, Five Guys, Smashburger, Shake Shack, etc., because I think it fits in more with McDonald's, Wendy's, Hardee's/Carl's Jr., etc. Among those traditional drive-thru fast food burger joints, it doesn't even compare to me. In-N-Out is the best burger I can reliably get in a drive-thru. That's how I would qualify it. I'd love to have one near me.
Yeah I think a "drive-thru" ranking is a good way to do it. Even then I prefer Whataburger to In-n-Out. At the sit down places Five Guys is my favorite but the prices have gotten straight up ridiculous.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
First time I had in-n-out burger I wasn't that impressed because it tasted exactly like a burger I've been eating for years here in NY. For anyone in NYC, Petey's Burger is almost the same as In-n-out's burger.

OP
OP

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
The Walmart of burgers.
JealousGiddyLaughingthrush-size_restricted.gif

AlwaysSalty

The Fallen
Nov 12, 2017
Sad thing is Wendy's was pretty good a few years back. I stopped going there for a minute for weight loss reasons. One day I was craving a baconator, got one, and it was hot garbage. Thought maybe it was a fluke but the next one was the same. They use to be big and juicy but the meat was now smaller and drier plus the burger was mushed down.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Some of those results make no sense. How is Five Guys top for service speed or McDonald's so low for value

Either way I do agree that In-N-Out is the best fast food burger

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had it once down in Vegas. Best Burger I've ever had. I've been dying to have them again. I hope they come to Michigan.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was so disappointed by In-N-Out after moving to California and finally trying it a few times (once regular, another time animal-style).

Heard nothing but glowing recommendations for years, and finally trying it I found them utterly plain and unremarkable, made worse by how poor their fries are. How can you not do fries well at a burger joint? I've had substantial better frozen, cook-at-home fries.
And I get that they probably keep the menu simple to keep costs down, but no option for bacon? Come on.

Milkshakes are the only thing solid that I've tried there.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
I think they save all their salt for their fries lol.

But those fries are so fucking good. While on the flip side (hah- get it?) fries at In-N-Out are like all time bad. Basically eating left over mashed potatoes with how soggy they are. And they are soggy while somehow being simultaneously really dry. They feel more boiled than fried.

they probably are getting just as much boiling as frying since they're just dropping fresh cut (wet, starch-bleeding) potato right into the oil. the escaping steam is killing the end product. all the best fry methods require some kind of starch removal and double or even triple frying, but since they're committed to being fast, they're not going to do that.

Theef

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Worst burger and worst fries ive ever had.

I was truly excited to try it

:(

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Little tip. Best day to get fries from in n out is Friday. They dump oil on Wednesday's. By Friday,-Sunday, it's at that perfect sweet spot. Tuesday's might be the worst day to get fries however.

As good as a normal double double is, try getting one plain, meat and cheese on bun only.

Like I said before, try cold cheese.

Try animal style.

If you don't want a bun, try the Flying Dutchman.

Hell, try their grilled cheese.

There food is best eaten immediately, as it doesn't travel well, and if you do need to travel, ask for the meal in a box.

Remember, free hot cocoa for all children if it rains one drop on the same day.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Have had all the big chains and yup the three years in a row is well earned.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Little tip. Best day to get fries from in n out is Friday. They dump oil on Wednesday's. By Friday,-Sunday, it's at that perfect sweet spot. Tuesday's might be the worst day to get fries however.

As good as a normal double double is, try getting one plain, meat and cheese on bun only.

Like I said before, try cold cheese.

Try animal style.

If you don't want a bun, try the Flying Dutchman.

Hell, try their grilled cheese.

There food is best eaten immediately, as it doesn't travel well, and if you do need to travel, ask for the meal in a box.

Remember, free hot cocoa for all children if it rains one drop on the same day.
Is this national procedure because thats some pro tips

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Never had in and out, one day hopefully, I think Five guys is best but overpriced, smashburger doesn't make the best burgers but they do definitely make the best Milkshakes at any food chain that doesn't specifically do ice cream.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Seeing the other places it's grouped with ( besides Red Robin that's random) maybe some people can settle down when In N Out is so lauded . The less nonsense "NAW you gotta get the Shake Shack/ Five Guys Burger like this! * lists 13$+ Burger*" the better.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A chain that only operates in like 5 states can never be considered "America's Favorite" burger. There's like 200 million people here who have never even seen an In-N-Out location.

Important to note that Five Guys actually beats In-N-Out in the area of Food Quality, which is the only thing that really matters when we are talking about fast food. People aren't going to these places for the ambiance or the jovial happy employees.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be on my deathbed proclaiming that two McDoubles and a medium fries is the best fast food meal ever.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Had my first In-n-Out burger last month. Agree that it's the best, no question. Crazy that the tasteless, grey globs they try passing off as burgers at Five Guys are rated so highly though.

Five Guys is complete and utter trash. Overpriced trash at that.

Minlow

Dec 3, 2018
Dan's Hamburgers is still my number one, but I think that is only in Austin. I prefer Five Guys and Culver's over In and Out from what I've tasted here in Austin.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I like Shake Shack most, but it ain't on here for some reason.

But out of all of those, I think I've liked Five Guys the most, but I've recently grown less fond of their burgers. Didn't sit well in the stomach last time.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Absolutely no way to beat In N Out on sheer value alone, it's really impressive what you get for a few bucks with them.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I agree with it for best value. It's priced like it's McDs/Wendy's/BK tier, when it's definitely a step up, but if you're comparing it to the places that charge a few bucks more? Nah. Also just don't care for the sauce everything is drenched in.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
All I see from these polls, is that Five Guys would win if they didn't charge so damn much for them.

Recently had Red Robins for the 1st time in a decade. Not a fan. A very average burger, and the fries were average. Not great when it costs the same as a meal at a Restaurant.

A Culver's just opened in the area, so it looks like a good time to try it out.

Cookout would win by it's overwhelming win in "Value for Money Spent", if it had been on the poll.

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I like Five Guys as well, but their burgers are wrapped in foil which makes them get soggy if you're picking up to go. INO solves this by using a sleeve where the burger can vent a bit.

Also, whenever I pick up Five Guys I have to like use a towel or plastic bag to prevent the grease from staining my car seats.

I've had Shake Shack 3 times now and I don't get the hype. The burger is fine, but honestly no better than INO quality, and it's more expensive. If I'm going for a more upscale burger experience, I'll just go to Hopdoddy which is several tiers above every burger place mentioned in this thread.