• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think Halo Infinite will be Microsoft's Breath of the Wild?

• Yes.

Votes: 255 15.8%
  • No.

Votes: 1,354 84.2%

• Total voters

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I wish you had read my post, because by your own logic, you would have found it difficult to take seriously any expectation that Breath of the Wild would do as well as it did, before release.

If being optimistic about Infinite is ignoring past data, then being optimistic about Breath of the Wild would have been as well. Again, it very much exceeded all reasonable expectations.

It's not ignoring data, it's recognizing it but hoping to see a change in the trend.
Regardless of it's quality no one expected BotW to perform at least as well as the best selling Zelda titles until then...and even when predictions were now positive they were based in hours of gameplay footage and positive previews. Even by then the performance would be limited by his legs and how much the Switch on its own would sell.

Again...you are free to be optimistic....but them moment you say that it's gonna be "at least" the biggest Halo ever commercially and outperform BotW ( which is still charting and won't stop selling anytime soon) ...it gets tricky.

I'm all for optimism....but don't compare what we knew and saw from BotW before it release the current situation with Halo.

I was one of the most optimistic people when it comes to Switch and no one back then was calling 20m copies.

Hell even of Halo would sell these numbers....we wouldn't know because MS didn't provide sales figures and player data can't be 1:1 compared to sales anyway.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Regardless of it's quality no one expected BotW to perform at least as well as the best selling Zelda titles until then...and even when predictions were now positive they were based in hours of gameplay footage and positive previews. Even by then the performance would be limited by his legs and how much the Switch on its own would sell.

Again...you are free to be optimistic....but them moment you say that it's gonna be "at least" the biggest Halo ever commercially and outperform BotW ( which is still charting and won't stop selling anytime soon) ...it gets tricky.

I'm all for optimism....but don't compare what we knew and saw from BotW before it release the current situation with Halo.

I was one of the most optimistic people when it comes to Switch and no one back then was calling 20m copies.

Hell even of Halo would sell these numbers....we wouldn't know because MS didn't provide sales figures and player data can't be 1:1 compared to sales anyway.
Actually, I think you're understating what was a much more significant level of hype much earlier on, going back to the first trailer for BotW. It's off-topic though, because you're just explaining why you disagree with me, not why you felt the need to be flippant and condescending about it, which is what I originally noted.

I am only really interested in that part.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
The moment you say it's gonna do at least as well commercially as BotW it's difficult to take whatever follow serious.

But yes, you are free to be "optimistic" and ignore past data.

BOTW "only" sold about 8m if I remember correctly.

Halo 5 of all games sold over 5m in just 3 months and had a monetization system in it, with a far longer tail.

The fact Infinite is cross gen and likely on PC/Steam day one will be enormous. We saw how massive MCC was when it launched on Steam. The thirst remains. Who knows which will be better critically but Infinite is going to print money for MS, by GP sign ups alone.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
It's similarly delusional.

As you said, we know almost nothing about this game. The developer doesn't have a great record. The publisher doesn't have a great record. Why would it have a 'great chance' of being one of the best games of all time?
I do agree it's a tall order to get to that caliber. My comment was more about Halo Infinite being used to launch a new generation and a lot more riding on it. That's why they've been given more time and a large budget. Gears 5 is not really comparable.

But please forgive me for hoping it's going to be good. Halo 5 also sits at an 84 on meta critic, that's not the same as zelda but not bad either.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, I think you're understating what was a much more significant level of hype much earlier on, going back to the first trailer for BotW. It's off-topic though, because you're just explaining why you disagree with me, not why you felt the need to be flippant and condescending about it, which is what I originally noted.

I am only really interested in that part.

You: The game we haven't see nothing about will be "at least" commercially as successful as the game that sold +15m and is still selling ....
Me: lol? what?
You: Why are you being so condescending ? (for the last 3 posts instead of clarifying your point with any relevant data)

I'm done with this discussion - if you wanna just spread predictions without being called out or discuss them, this probably is the wrong place for that.

You could have just corrected your stance and said that you are hoping for BotW Level success commercially and we could have moved on....instead you keep digging deeper and changing talking points to fit your narrative.

Halo 5 of all games sold over 5m in just 3 months and had a monetization system in it, with a far longer tail.

The fact Infinite is cross gen and likely on PC/Steam day one will be enormous. We saw how massive MCC was when it launched on Steam. The thirst remains. Who knows which will be better critically but Infinite is going to print money for MS, by GP sign ups alone.
You probably wanna look up BotWs most recent shipment data.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You: The game we haven't see nothing about will be "at least" commercially as successful as the game that sold +15m and is still selling ....
Me: lol? what?
You: Why are you being so condescending ? (for the last 3 posts instead of clarifying your point with any relevant data)

I'm done with this discussion - if you wanna just spread predictions without being called out or discuss them, this probably is the wrong place for that.

You could have just corrected your stance and said that you are hoping for BotW Level success commercially and we could have moved on....instead you keep digging deeper and changing talking points to fit your narrative.

You probably wanna look up BotWs most recent shipment data.
Respectfully, you keep saying data but I don't think you really grasp what role it would play in the conversation you wish we were having, nevermind in the one about your lack of civility that you were avoiding.

I am very happy to end this with you as well, so thank you and I wish you the best.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird to me that we have yet to hear any news on the flighting program that was supposed to happen. They announced that Halo Infinite will have a flighting program back in June of 2018 and haven't heard anything since. I was always under the impression that flighting takes place quite early, even before a beta, but at this point it doesn't seem very likely. Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This, plus 343 has delivered more hilarious disasters than hits. Aren't they still patching up their fucking launch game for this gen?

You mean that massive collection of games with more than 10 game engines that not a single other game ?

But yeah, they are still updating and improving MCC and because of that it's a better collection games than most single games released this generation.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
You mean that massive collection of games with more than 10 game engines that not a single other game ?

But yeah, they are still updating and improving MCC and because of that it's a better collection games than most single games released this generation.

Probably means that massive collection of games that didn't work properly for months. Hell, I couldn't even online co-op going with a buddy for quite a bit and by the time they fixed it, I was well off of the game and on to other things. It's cool they eventually got around to it years later and are keeping it updated now, but given that it wasn't working well for some time, that's not really something I'd applaud personally. Never mind 5, hard to believe it's considered a well playing shooter after all that time they left the heavy aiming in the game. If folks have faith in them, cool, but it's not crazy to expect others to be wary given their releases and I was a huge halo fan growing up.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
So there will be a lightning storm and MC will have to quickly remove all his armor?

Seriously though, we haven't seen boo of Halo Infinite. It's a little too soon to be making these comparisons.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol.....you think it's gonna at least sell 20m copies ? The last Halo game had trouble outselling Splatoon.

Talk about alternative realities xD
I don't think a lot of users on this forum realize how commercially successful BotW (or Splatoon, for that matter) has been.

As of September 30th, the Switch version of BotW has sold 14.54 million units.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8752

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I see no reason not to expect something cool out of Halo Infinite. They're rebooting a series that has a history of being a killer app that sells hardware. It has a tremendous budget and they've teased huge, gorgeous environments. I doubt Microsoft is sparing any expense and 343i has more talent than people give them credit for.

Will it be a BotW moment? I don't really know and don't really think about video games in that way. There is only one BotW moment just like there was only one Halo CE moment. That's like saying that BotW was the Minecraft of the Zelda series - it just doesn't cleanly "fit" the narrative like that and feels awkward.

But I do think that Halo Infinite has potential to be a "moment" of its own making if executed well considering the pedigree of the franchise, the backing of Phil Spencer, and the expectations of this being the premiere hardware selling launch game of the Xbox Series X.

Say what you will about the franchise, it has always had a very satisfying core gameplay loop and solid game-feel.

greenhadoken

Oct 28, 2017
Halo hasn't felt like Halo since 343 took over. I don't have faith in that developer to blow my mind with the IP like Bungie used to

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Idk, the Halo series seems to be much more story focused than Zelda. You can pick botw without having played any Zelda in your life and perfectly enjoy it, but idk if it'll be the same with HI.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Idk, the Halo series seems to be much more story focused than Zelda. You can pick botw without having played any Zelda in your life and perfectly enjoy it, but idk if it'll be the same with HI.
Infinite will probably be a soft reboot. My guess is anyone will be able to start with this entry with no issues story-wise.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Massive Halo fan here.

The answer is no.

I mean does it have a chance? Of course, it has a chance. But is it in any way likely? No.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much know nothing except it might be a bit more open world. I hope it's really fun, I do like the thought of exploring a Halo ring but I also don't fancy the repetitiveness of open world nor do I wish they copy Destiny. I'll take some unexpected and wild moments, I think that's what could be great for Halo in an open world, let us get into a mess and do crazy stuff. I hope we get to use the warthog wire at the front for something and get some silly physics back.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be great if it was, but this take is based on nothing and seems really shallow. I feel like if Halo Infinite were coming out on March 3rd you'd be saying "And that was Breath of the Wild's release date!!!" as a supporting point.

With that said, in my opinion Final Fantasy VII Remake has great chances at being Square-Enix's Breath of the Wild.

Ok now THAT makes zero fucking sense

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a lot of users on this forum realize how commercially successful BotW (or Splatoon, for that matter) has been.
Yeah.....That and MS not providing sales data anymore results in some people having outlandish expectations because it's difficult to prove them wrong.

Selling +10m for any exclusive is a big deal and numbers. ..instead we have people act as if BotW numbers are the bottom floor in 2020.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
It could if it invokes those same halo:combat evolved feelings but it will also have to push and innovate a bit as well

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
It's incredibly unlikely H:I will outsell BotW, if for no reason other than the fact it will be on Game Pass.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Halo Infinite has a lot of expectations riding behind it. A lot is riding on its success and everybody involved in making it knows that. Im honestly not too sure if its going to be amazing, but I really hope it is. Theyve described it as a "soft-reboot" and its taking cues from the open level design of Halo CE and its also going back to Halo's classic artstyle.

Maybe they wont nail it, but from what little weve heard and seen, theyre on the right track.

Feb 10, 2018
It will really depend how good infinite is and how good the competition is.

If infinite is a 90+ and the competition is 80+ then it will be like a Botw moment.

Kinda why I think Sony should of pushed back TLOU2 or Got to the PS5 launch, yes you would have a few grumbling ps4 owners but they would get through it and they would still get to play those games on ps4.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I think OP means a return to form? For the said franchise and Microsoft/Nintendo respectively...?

But their title makes it sound like Infinite is gonna be full of physics puzzles or something lol

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to expect but I hope to spend the majority of the game on an actual Halo ring and an atmosphere/tone with gameplay elements that harkens back to that magical feeling of playing Halo CE for the first time yet being evolved in it's own new ways.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
I'm extremely bullish on Halo Infinite.

My take ( and we discussed this a fair bit in this weeks XboxEra Podcast) is that 343 have always got one thing right with each Halo release. With 4, I think their narrative, their engine were amazing, but the multiplayer left a little to be desired (though if you stripped away all the COD-esque elements, it was a really solid Halo game).

With Halo 5, in my opinion they had a relatively terrible narrative (but I think some excellent level design in there) but the multiplayer was the best and most refreshing Halo Multi had been in years. (the 60FPS helped!)

With Infinite, I get the impression they know what they want to make, they're leaning into everything they have learned, and I'm really hopeful for a solid, refreshing and risk taking Halo experience.

Can't wait.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

BotW sold 14.5 mil. as of now and it won't stop selling until BotW2 drops. Halo 5 certainly doesn't have a longer tail than BotW lol.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Halo 5 sold 6.6 million in its first couple weeks. If we had data up to now I feel like it's likely to have sold close to BotWs 14 million. And thats with Halo 5s bad campaign. If infinite has a solid single player and multiplayer component its very likely to pass BotW.
It will be almost impossible. Game Pass would have to completely fall apart, and there is no sign of that happening.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
For it to be BOTW it has to be wildly different than prior games and the risks have to pay off.

I would love to see it. In general I love when devs take big chances. I can see why they don't though (easier and more profitable just to do the same thing but a little bigger).

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Just like how BOTW took the core design principles of Zelda 1 and modernized and adapted them, it sounds like Halo Infinite is taking the core design principles of Halo CE and modernizing and adapting them. Tbh that does sound a lot like how BotW did it, even down to Halo CE and Zelda 1 both being the most open ended games of their respective series. I really, really hope they succeed because I have been craving a Halo game like that for ages.

Worst case scenario, Halo Infinite is an uninspired mess of a campaign like Halo 5, best case scenario is that they actually did get what made Halo CE great and do make "Halos BotW".