• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Halo Infinite will be Microsoft's Breath of the Wild?

• Yes.

Votes: 255 15.8%
  • No.

Votes: 1,354 84.2%

• Total voters

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Why's that? Has there been any new info released? All I see is yet another Halo game, but I want to be excited

Mdot

Oct 25, 2017
If it can somehow reach Halo 3 level of quality from both the campaign and multiplayer, I'd be ecstatic. I just want a game that respects the roots from a campaign standpoint and innovates enough on the gameplay formula they established with the 5 MP suite.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We still have next to no idea what the gameplay will be like in Halo Infinite. I don't think we can compare it to much of anything.

I'm sure it will involve more shooting than Breath of the Wild. Maybe it'll have rhythm game sections. I really hope it has a cooking mini game.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played about 22 minutes of Zelda but watched my kids play it for months doing literally NOTHING SUBSTANTIAL but having a blast and can recognize it's something remarkable.

Halo Infinite gonna be another great FPS you'll finish in a weekend. Which is great but boy OP you might want to rein in the hype a bit.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Without any actual info, I'm currently at "Expect nothing and will still be disappointed".

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Fable 4 will be, because it will fulfill the promises of the original Fable made all those years ago.

scabobbs

Oct 28, 2017
Not really sure how you can from an opinion like this with how little we actually know about the game.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
in my opinion, nintendo's breath of the wild was very likely microsoft's gears of war 5. look:

- both are video games
- both were created in the last decade
- both are third-person
- both look real good
- both have snow in them
- both try something a bit different
- both are the latest iteration of their franchise...

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I would love nothing better. Among other reasons, it would give me a slam dunk reason to buy one of the Scarlett incarnations! Sadly, I haven't seen anything yet that suggests it's likely that 343i has suddenly figured out what to do to make Halo shine again, but it's certainly still possible.

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say yes because I don't really like Breath of the Wild and I don't think I'll like Halo Infinite either.

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I expect it to be another great entry that will more than likely be very well received, though it would not surprise me to see Bungie purists bash the game.

343 is not a studio I trust at all to make something even remotely that incredible (BoTW is one of the best games ever made), let alone to make a satisfactory Halo game.

I'm approaching this release hoping for the best but also know to have trepidations about it. Plus theyve shown off nothing but CGI trailers in back to back E3's, we know next to nothing about what this game even is.

Oh also if those rumors about this going with RPG mechanics and a destiny like game, Halo will be dead to me.

Both of those trailers were in-engine, this trailer was the intro cinematic to the game along with tutorial.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Halo could he great again if they get back to the sandbox design that made Halo special in the first place. And insofar as that is part of what made BotW special as well, there is a similarity.

But the major difference is that Halo lacks "verbs". Halo is, "Walk here, shoot things, throw grenades" and sometimes "Drive/fly vehicle". Even assuming sublime environmental design, those verbs just only create so much gameplay and creativity. And that's ok. Halo hasn't tried to be more than a shooter in a long time (Though the lack of sandbox environments has really hurt it).

BotW's strength is that there are just so many verbs. Light this fire, watch it spread, catch the updraft from the flame, slow motion pull out your bow, spin and crash down with your sword, pull our your shield and surf, magnetise the metal box, send electricity through the makeshift circuit, throw a bomb, climb the cliff face, make a bridge from a tree you just cut down, and on and on... BotW is special because of what feels like a near infinite series of solutions and combinations to your problems, or just to screw around with.

I've seen people get very creative with guns, grenades, rocket launchers, and Warthogs in Halo over the years, but it just isn't a game that supports the breadth of something like BotW.

But who knows? Given that we know nothing about Infinite, maybe they really will create a creative physics engine and a whole bunch of new verbs. But I very much doubt it.

butterbutt!

Oct 27, 2017
I want this game to be great, but even with all the resources Microsoft is throwing at this project this comparison is wishful thinking.

DidactBRHU3

Oct 17, 2019
Fortaleza - Ceará
People will find something to complain about, specially when said game represents the least popular console brand around. It will have a 85 meta at most, which will disappoint almost everybody.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your chest -hair is now perpendikular

transparent-flames-fire-emoji-2-e1538619454562.png

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Is this thread a bit premature? Yes. Could Halo Infinite be the Breath of the Wild of the series? Absolutely. And no, not in the sense that this is a fully open world 100+ hour campaign reinvention, but at it's core from what we've seen and heard from 343, it is a possibility.

In many regards, Breath of the Wild was a franchise culmination that drew influence from the past to shape the future. It combined the deep, rich combat of 3D Zelda with the aesthetics bridging the gap between Toon Zelda and Regular Zelda and the exploration of 2D Zelda. It was a game that anyone could enjoy, regardless of their preference of 2D or 3D, that merged the best of two disparate takes providing something new. It was also a great entry point for newcomers and helped win some 3D Zelda ambivalent people such as myself over. It was also, as mentioned by OP, a cross-gen title that sold new systems.

Looking at what we know, and think we we know from interviews/analysis/job listings/etc., Halo Infinite also seems to be trudging this path. Frankly, there are many aspects of the Reclaimer Saga I like including the gunplay and character and story writing (which, controversially, I'd say trump's Bungie's work). That said, aesthetically and speed-wise, the games feel off.

With Halo Infinite, 343 is modernizing the Bungie aesthetic with elements of the Reclaimer saga, again bridging the gap between old and new. Everything in terms of art direction and creative direction, from the return of Chief's bright green armor to the deep tones of the old shield regen sound feels right. The game itself, like BOTW, is being described by 343 as a soft-reboot that pulls influence from the Bungie era, stands on its own, but still ties up the loose ends of 4 and 5.

In terms of writing, based on the intro cinematic we've seen, 343's character writing is again on point. People tear up at the new trailer for a reason. In terms of gameplay, that's what remains to be seen. If Halo Infinite is as open as rumored, this is again a case of drawing on the past to reinvent the future. The Silent Cartographer in CE in many regards revolutionized the FPS genre by opening it up beyond the narrow hallways that defined it, and that type of design has been missing in modern Halo, just like in many ways exploration was semi-missing in modern Zelda. The game may also play with RPG elements if the hiring for the game is to be believed.

All this being said, Zelda had an easier time starting fresh due to the timeline structure and lack of multiplayer. In this case, Halo Infinite will have to address the loose threads of the Reclaimer Saga and satisfy Multiplayer fans, which likely means mostly stagnation from 5 on that front (not necessarily a bad thing, but still). This means that Infinite as a package may not be viewed as a BOTW-type reinvention despite aesthetic and potential gameplay and narrative strides. Again OP, this thread is rather early, but I also think that some of the folks brushing your theory off or brushing off the influence of Halo are a bit rash. Hell, I just wrote this, and I hadn't even touched a Halo game until two months ago and I fell in love. The games still hold up today, and the lore is filling a post-Disney Star Wars type hole in my heart. Now to go back to ODST! :)

U Know Me

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For long time halo fans halo will never be as good as we remember. 343 just needs to make the game as good as possible to attract new fans and slap on some old school playlists and hope that's enough to keep the vets happy. I would like to see them try to tackle the battlefield formula with some bigger scale combat.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
It comes down to opinion and I have yet to play a Zelda that is as good as any of the Halo games. That being said, I am not excited about Infinite, yet. I am kind of over FPS games.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just gotta wait until a proper reveal OP, then we can try this thread again

But, I do hold the faith that Infinite will be great.

H5 was a big step up from H4, and the MCC is a really great game now, despite the initial launch and subsequent years

I think we're dealing with a 343i that's a lot of confident about what they're doing with Chiefy now

Oct 25, 2017
I see the analogy you're making OP and I accept it.

I'm tempering expectations to avoid disappointment, but I do have faith in 343 pulling this off.

With H5 arena MP being my top 5 dead or alive MP games, the refreshing art direction shown for Infinite, and the time they've had to work on it - I have reasons to be optimistic.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I expect it to be another great entry that will more than likely be very well received, though it would not surprise me to see Bungie purists bash the game.

Both of those trailers were in-engine, this trailer was the intro cinematic to the game along with tutorial.

I cant believe people keep trying to dishonestly argue that those trailers tell us anything about the game. Like come on those trailers were a lot of nothing, I don't care about the engine or the rando space marine.

F4r0_Atak

Oct 31, 2017
Home
To be fair... it's most likely gonna be closer to what Gears 5 has been to the Gears franchise more than anything else. A new entry that brings interesting ideas mechanically to a debatably 'stale' franchise while keeping it safe in some aspects for the fans, yet still remains a technical prowess of the XGS.