• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Puzzle games is an odd one, in that there were loads on both but the nature of the DS was perfect for it, Layton was a huge deal and that's four on its own. Puzzle Quest was on both, but PQ2 and Galactrix were cancelled on PSP. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes was amazing, one of the best titles on the DS, and Meteos was great too.
Admittedly it's been so long that it's not like I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of them!

I also think it's a bit unfair to count a single collection of Castlevania games as somehow a win in the genre for the PSP here. The DS had three original games, Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow are both great games, with OOE regularly placing highly on series lists these days, and there were others in the genre too.

What about Zelda, Okamiden, Solatorobo etc? Do they technically count as '3D action adventure', they've always seemed like their own thing to me.

Some others in favour of the PSP though: I remember playing some scrolling shooters on the PSP like Darius that were great too.

Also- Monhun is pretty much it's own genre, seems like the elephant in the room here, not like DS could compete with that.

Ultimately it comes down to what genres you prefer. I've always preferred slower, turn-based and 2D games so Layton, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright and Etrian Odyssey made up a ton of my time on DS, whereas the PSP felt more like a cut-down PS2 with a range of games to match. Great systems.
I think PQ2 did come out for the PSP but some good points there. Sorry I may have to go for now. Back later.

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
The DS is better because it has greatest game of all time, TWEWY, on it.

PSP is still pretty great though.

Yeah, no rerelease of TWEWY has captured the kinetic energy that makes the original so special. Not to mention how it ties to the overall themes of the game. Losing that is such a bummer, even if it could be overwhelming at first. I think that's half of the point. New relationships usually are, before configure out what actually matters for success instead of trying to do everything at once.

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
Can't believe your racing list didn't include Flatout: Head On, it's regarded as one of the best psp ports out there...

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The DS had Arkanoid with paddle controller, and Hotel Dusk. <3
They were both fantastic handhelds once DS Lite released.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
I messed up my psp trying to fix the awful d-pad! The analogue stick wasnt brilliant either. Games were good though

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I can't agree with this when PSP had FF Tactics, Jeanne D'arc, Metal Gear Acid, Wild Arms XF, Growlanser and so much more.
DS also had a lot of good turn based strategy games but I think PSP wins this one.
I was deliberately not including SRPGs, unless you also count Fire Emblem, SMT Devil Survivor 1/2, Luminous Arc 1/2, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, Rondo of Swords, FFTA2 on DS, and also Tactics Ogre on PSP. Growlanser always felt like more of a JRPG with strategic battles to me, loved that game. Still, fair point, if we include them all under a tactics banner it's hard to call it either way.

Last edited:

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I am gonna go with the PSP.

It gives you everything you would ever want from a handheld. Tons of unique games and it also has ports from console games to boot. It has something for everyone and that is pretty awesome.

My problem with the PSP is that most of these games, especially 3D ones, are just gimped versions of the home console releases.
Burnout Legends on PSP is really good and stands on it's own, but the Need for Speed and Midnight Club games just pale in comparison to the home console releases of the same games. Gran Turismo PSP was missing the campaign mode entirely.
Uh, what? Midnight Club 3 is identical to the console version. Unless you mean MCLA which was it's own game that had more content.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Vast majority of the best games on the PSP were just ports and that isn't the case for the DS. It is as simple as that, really.

Oct 28, 2017
Netherlands
Even if we just narrowed it down to fighting games, DS wins with this title alone
619ZVJV345L.jpg
You. I like you.

Alternatively, the Bleach games from Treasure were also rad.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like a flawed comparison. Who cares how many genres the PSP has DS "beat" in. DS has way more exclusive games and way higher peaks

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Looking at your list, t he problem is with the PSP is you can play the same or similar versions of those games on superior hardware.

that is just reality.

the DS library on the hand simply couldn't be replicated in most cases.
This is like at least half the reason the Switch is as popular as it is. Believe me, I really appreciated the PSP even though I had a PS3, 360 and a PC. It's not just about "having access to the games", having them available on a handheld completely transforms how you access them and even how often.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I am gonna go with the PSP.

It gives you everything you would ever want from a handheld. Tons of unique games and it also has ports from console games to boot. It has something for everyone and that is pretty awesome.

Uh, what? Midnight Club 3 is identical to the console version. Unless you mean MCLA which was it's own game that had more content.
Midnight Club 3 has a really bad framerate (like 15 fps) that crippled the game.
Midnight Club LA was a different (and worse) game entirely that had a way smaller LA map than the console game.

There is no reason to play these over their console counterparts.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm fiendin' to make a good poll right about now but I can't think of any so this'll have to do. I already mentioned this challenge in another thread but nobody replied so I'm hoping there's some takers if it has its own thread. I've copied/pasted the bulk of the text and added new genres and games.

I know what you're gonna say; a lot of the PSPs best games are just ports or games that were better on consoles. But the Switch is the best thing since sliced heads in Ninja Gaiden Dragon Sword, right? The PSP has an absolutely phenomenal library like the Genesis and the DS is comparable to the SNES (partly thanks to the SNES ports). My main reason for making this thread is to get people who have yet to explore the PSP library to do so immediately and I hope they'll love it like I do.

I agree that the PSP had a lot of great games, though I will still take the DS and its library every time over the PSP. The DS just has more of the games I like.

The challenge is to present 9 genres (gone up from 7 earlier lol) where the DS destroys the PSP in similar fashion to the following genres where the PSP dominates cause the DS has little to no quality games to offer in them.

1. Fighting games
:
2D fighters:
3D Fighters:
3D Arena Brawlers
5. 3D Flight Sim/Arcade games
:
6. 3D Beat 'em Ups
7. Sports games
(could be considered multiple different genres really)
8. 3D Mech games:

My point is that the PSP is more well rounded than the DS. These are 9 genres where the DS has glaring holes; can you show me which genres that the DS has and the PSP is lacking? Pro tip: don't say RPG's lol.

Of course it all comes down to personal taste. A lot of those genres you posted I don't care about, which I've left in the quote, which is over half of them.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
PSP was awesome (far, far better than Vita) but that's a lot of games we played somewhere else on that list. DS had far more unique experiences, and I personally need my handhelds to have lots of platformers. It was a great time for handhelds, really :(

Jul 18, 2018
North Carolina
This list brought back memories of how much I enjoyed games like that on PSP. I had both DS and PSP, but when I look back on the DS library I realize there wasn't that much that I loved. I got a PSP at launch with Ridge Racer, Twisted Metal Head-On, THUG2, and maybe something else. I enjoyed the first Syphon Filter game, SFA3, Gran Turismo, Star Wars Battlefront II, the Metal Gear games, God of War, Prince of Persia, Resistance, Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, and also Rock Band Unplugged.

I never had a PS2, but really enjoyed the flexibility of playing these games on a portable.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Midnight Club 3 has a really bad framerate (like 15 fps) that crippled the game.
Midnight Club LA was a different (and worse) game entirely that had a way smaller LA map than the console game.

There is no reason to play these over their console counterparts.
Actually there is because you can play the identical version on the go in MC3 (I also felt the frame rate wasn't as bad as you say.) and can play a very different MCLA from the console version that added a whole new map (Tokyo with it's own cars).

Just playing them on the go is good enough reason and I am not sure why portability ceases to be a reason to play them just because the console version can play better.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just playing them on the go is good enough reason and I am not sure why portability ceases to be a reason to play them just because the console version can play better.
This. For me, portable versions are the best versions by definition of being on portable hardware. So many long home console games that I never finished, whereas I used to get through an RPG a month on my commute.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Puzzle games is an odd one, in that there were loads on both but the nature of the DS was perfect for it, Layton was a huge deal and that's four on its own. Puzzle Quest was on both, but PQ2 and Galactrix were cancelled on PSP. Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes was amazing, one of the best titles on the DS, and Meteos was great too.
Admittedly it's been so long that it's not like I have an encyclopaedic knowledge of them!

I also think it's a bit unfair to count a single collection of Castlevania games as somehow a win in the genre for the PSP here. The DS had three original games, Order of Ecclesia and Dawn of Sorrow are both great games, with OOE regularly placing highly on series lists these days, and there were others in the genre too.

What about Zelda, Okamiden, Solatorobo etc? Do they technically count as '3D action adventure', they've always seemed like their own thing to me.

Some others in favour of the PSP though: I remember playing some scrolling shooters on the PSP like Darius that were great too.

Also- Monhun is pretty much it's own genre, seems like the elephant in the room here, not like DS could compete with that.

Ultimately it comes down to what genres you prefer. I've always preferred slower, turn-based and 2D games so Layton, Hotel Dusk, Phoenix Wright and Etrian Odyssey made up a ton of my time on DS, whereas the PSP felt more like a cut-down PS2 with a range of games to match. Great systems.
So yes I get your point about Zelda, Okamiden and Solatorobo, I may be willing to omit the 3D action/adventure games from the PSP for those but then again theyre nothing mindblowing. And i have to disagree about SOTN not being worth the three DS Igavanias, either way its not a sweep. Good point about shmups and MonHun as: well those also strengthen the PSP's diversity.
Can't believe your racing list didn't include Flatout: Head On, it's regarded as one of the best psp ports out there...
I think there are more good ones i missed too!

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
Seems like a flawed comparison. Who cares how many genres the PSP has DS "beat" in. DS has way more exclusive games and way higher peaks
I'm not saying it makes the PSP library inherently better, just more well rounded like I said in the OP. And having a more diverse library is definitely worth a lot in my book. DS does win on exclusives; higher peaks NO WAY imo. Nothing on the DS can match Tekken Dark Resurrection or Ghost of Sparta.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it makes the PSP library inherently better, just more well rounded like I said in the OP. And having a more diverse library is definitely worth a lot in my book. DS does win on exclusives; higher peaks NO WAY imo. Nothing on the DS can match Tekken Dark Resurrection or Ghost of Sparta.
A better version of Tekken is available on console and Ghost of Sparta is one of the worst God of War games lmao

I feel like this is just a case where you're gonna have to accept that your tastes fall into a minority

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Again it depends on your favourite genres though. I've got zero interest in fighting games and 3D action games, I'd take Etrian Odyssey III and Last Window over both of those.

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
A better version of Tekken is available on console and Ghost of Sparta is one of the worst God of War games lmao

I feel like this is just a case where you're gonna have to accept that your tastes fall into a minority

Actually i think you're in the minority on that one. I'm pretty sure PSP Tekken DR is the best fighting game on a dedicated handheld and since when has Ghost of Sparta been decided bad by majority opinion woah

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Quality over quantity but actually why not both? The psp will forever be the system that made
My pinkies go number in under ten minutes. Love patapon tho

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
damn op, I guess you're right, with a PSP i can play the classics like "Another Century's Episode Portable"

can't believe anyone would want to play Mario Kart over that

Jokes aside, I feel it's a little unfair to pick genres that the PSP was clearly more capable of doing. Obviously there are gonna be more Racing Sims on a system that is basically a portable PS2 than on the thing that was somewhere between a SNES and an N64. I think the PSP is great and absolutely underrated, but comparing it to the DS by saying "look, it can do PS2-level games" isn't really fair.

Sorry i forgot to reply to this. Yes I totally get your point. But the PSP also excels in many of the areas the DS is renowned for; RPG'S being the prime example. Again i dont really care if DS is better or not, I just wanted to highlight the PSPs strengths yet again cause I feel it gets overlooked all the time.

Dunan

Jun 11, 2018
The three F-Zero handheld games were technically for GBA, but I played them on the DS and had a great time with them. They are the equal of the two Wipeout games for PSP (which I also loved).

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017

I am not sure what Ghost of Sparta you played because the majority does like it and consider it one of the best in the series. Also the Tekken 5 on the PSP isn't worse, it is better.

With that said, isn't the PSP a handheld? The point is to play PS2 quality games on the go. Having a "better" version on console doesn't mean anything.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
You're picking genres that specifically are catered to the PSP hardware to make the PSP look like it has a better library. I don't think the DS has a single "Vehicular Combat" game and it's "3D Mech" games are slim to none (that I know of).

I'm not arguing that the DS library is better, just that it's doing different things.
this is where i'm at. both were great and I own multiple handhelds in each family as a result. both shined in ways that weren't possible on the other. there is no psp comparison for nintendogs, elite beat agents, kirby canvas curse, etc.
at the same time, socom ftb was not possible on the DS

Point and done.
The PSP definitely had its strong points. it just had less iconic moments (a lof of its strongest are less marketable (no cool/fun/cute character to market), or offshoots of franchises that worked better on consoles.
Which does not make it worse. There are some great games there.
Its just less remembered because of that.
But for fans of those genred (or portable consoles) i would wholehartedly recomend a PSP.

Kingdome Hearts Birth By Sleep is the best kingdome hearts game and mops the floor with all Both DS entires.
FF Dissidia is probably the best 3D arena fighter i played.
Loco Roco is the definition of a "quierky mobile game". FFT was great from what i heard. And its the platform where monster hunter grew its fanbase before it moved to 3DS.

For my tastes a DS was still better (just more games i liked), but the PSP had a strong run.

With that said, isn't the PSP a handheld? The point is to play PS2 quality games on the go. Having a "better" version on console doesn't mean anything.

Arguably in this case it ages worse, since you can get that beter on consoles, while people just cant get DS games on a console in the way they where designed.

At the same time with that argument the GBA looses a lot of its titles since you can play them somewhere else way better. Take it or leave it =D

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
My take on this thread is that MFers out there really thinking the 360's better than the PS3
Eh I can believe it.

360 at the start of the gen was the one to get. Sony were messing up so hard and that image never went away until the end of the gen when they turned it all around (that they were able to do this still blows my mind):

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018
My take on this thread is that MFers out there really thinking the 360's better than the PS3
PS3/360 is not so one sided either imo
Point and done.
The PSP definitely had its strong points. it just had less iconic moments (a lof of its strongest are less marketable (no cool/fun/cute character to market), or offshoots of franchises that worked better on consoles.
Which does not make it worse. There are some great games there.
Its just less remembered because of that.
But for fans of those genred (or portable consoles) i would wholehartedly recomend a PSP.

Kingdome Hearts Birth By Sleep is the best kingdome hearts game and mops the floor with all Both DS entires.
FF Dissidia is probably the best 3D arena fighter i played.
Loco Roco is the definition of a "quierky mobile game". FFT was great from what i heard. And its the platform where monster hunter grew its fanbase before it moved to 3DS.

For my tastes a DS was still better (just more games i liked), but the PSP had a strong run.
Agreed entirely <3

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
Actually i think you're in the minority on that one. I'm pretty sure PSP Tekken DR is the best fighting game on a dedicated handheld and since when has Ghost of Sparta been decided bad by majority opinion woah
I thought Ghost of Sparta was considered widely as a good/great game.

🤷
I didn't say that Ghost of Sparta was bad. Just that it's on the lower end of God of War titles. Likewise, didn't say that Tekken was bad, just that a better version of the same game is available on console. And really if we're gonna be throwing opinions on individual games around like this, then I could easily claim stuff like Ghost Trick or Pokémon HGSS are better than anything on PSP, and you can't really disagree since it's all subjective. I could probably agree that PSP is more well rounded, but like I said I think that's a bad measure. If we go by number of highly acclaimed exclusives I don't think it's close at all

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong and the PSP version of Tekken is better, idk. Rest still stands since it's down to personal taste

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I didn't say that Ghost of Sparta was bad. Just that it's on the lower end of God of War titles. Likewise, didn't say that Tekken was bad, just that a better version of the same game is available on console. And really if we're gonna be throwing opinions on individual games around like this, then I could easily claim stuff like Ghost Trick or Pokémon HGSS are better than anything on PSP, and you can't really disagree since it's all subjective. I could probably agree that PSP is more well rounded, but like I said I think that's a bad measure. If we go by number of highly acclaimed exclusives I don't think it's close at all

Yeeeeah... you walk back that "lmao" buddy, haha.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
DS had the wider and broader library not counting all the casual stuff.

The one thing PSP had over DS were console quality games but it controlled poorly due to one analog nub and launching in 2005 instead of 2002 or 2003. When it really would have wowed people

OP
OP
Discontent

Discontent

May 25, 2018

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong and the PSP version of Tekken is better, idk. Rest still stands since it's down to personal taste
Personal taste is where its at <3
Yeeeeah... you walk back that "lmao" buddy, haha.
Tee hee hee.