• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Cool so were still shaming people if they have a personal reason for not voting for Biden? Great stuff. Way to win people over to your side on that one.

Nah fuck trying to win people over to our side. Fuck people using that argument. We are literally being attacked by the GOP and Trump's policies hurt us the most.
If people cannot see how GOP policy hurt minorities thats on them and their own racist mindsets. I don't need to win those fuckers over they didn't care about us to begin with.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
It would also leave 28 million americans without health insurance, among other problems.

SPVSPO_002-636x1024.jpg

is there a different source for those numbers? that site is literally an advocacy group for the left side of that comparison so it is hard to imagine they qualify as independent

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking the same thing, it's too on the nose not to be some sort of trolling imo.

It's not. I don't really get why some people think Joe Biden is such a bad person. Most Democrats I know (generally older black people in the rural south) like Joe Biden lol. Even a lot of conservatives I know don't really dislike Biden personally

Like I get he doesn't say everything you like, but most people who are insulting him actually agree with 70%+ of his platform...

Deleted member 56306

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I like most of what you said, because you obviously have good vocabulary and grammar skills, which you have fearlessly put on display, which is more than can be said for many others.

However, if I may interject, I'd just like to point that true "defeatism" is voting for the lesser of two evils, which is what you are doing. Theoretically, if you didn't have such a defeatist attitude, you would be voting for the greater of two evils so that you can see just how well America avoids falling apart anyway.

As Mortal Kombat would say, test your might.

This is either impressive trolling or some of the dumbest shit I've read today.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Going a bit offtopic here, but how should I interpret this? Per capita is an average, right? So, I'm Dutch, healthcare costs me 5.288 (around 4.750 euros) according to the chart? But I pay around lets say, 1250 euros a year. So I guess for one 'me' there is someone who spends around 8k on healthcare? But that doesnt make sense because there is almost no healthcare plan that I know of that is that expensive.
'Per capita' means 'cost per person', and likely includes both the price you pay as well as any costs to your government that are not covered by your taxes. For example, when someone goes to the emergency room after a car crash, there are expenses involved that may not be entirely covered by the amount paid in via taxes by that person. Here in the US people end up bankrupt and even lose their homes over those kinds of emergency room visits.

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
User banned (2 weeks): trolling and hostility over multiple posts
This mindless anarchist defeatism sounds like the kind of drek college age me would spout while drunk.

Here in the real world some of us have families and people we love to support and want the best we can for them, even if we have to make do with the best of a set of suboptimal choices. Black people are getting murdered and you post this navel gazing smarmy nonsense. Grow up.

Oh look, a mystical family man.

Surprise! I am a family man, too.

You are not special out here. Grow up.

Having a family doesn't mean you sacrifice your morals, grit, and courage.

All you are really doing is stringing your family along through constantly tumultuous times just like Democrats string voters along through generations of economic stagnation.

You are no Guile. You are a company man.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
It's bad faith actors that think they're being intelligent or saying something that has substance. They aren't and they're fucking stupid if they think Trump and Biden are the same.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Accelerationism is dangerous bullshit and I'm frustrated that it has taken hold on this board among so many posters. You know who gets hurt the most when the system burns to the ground? The disadvantaged and least fortunate among us.

Fucking hell. You want progressivism to live another day? The first step is not allowing Trump and his deranged cult four more years to further cement their power base. And yes, I am sure that is the last thing people in their mid-20s-mid 30s who have been hoping for change since they could vote want to hear. They've been hearing that from the Democratic party since they've been eligible to vote. "Stop this guy, and maybe next time around we can actually give you something you want".

The problem is Trump is a fundamental threat to this country the likes of which we have not seen since the Civil War. If you don't realize that by now you are beyond saving. I'll take the centrism Biden offers and try to live one more day.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
is there a different source for those numbers? that site is literally an advocacy group for the left side of that comparison so it is hard to imagine they qualify as independent
Yes, an advocacy group... consisting entirely of doctors. Forget that image if you like, and focus on the other three I posted below which have no agenda and are strictly made up of data showing just how inefficient and poor-value privatized healthcare is compared to every other developed nation with universal healthcare.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
'Per capita' means 'cost per person', and likely includes both the price you pay as well as any costs to your government that are not covered by your taxes. For example, when someone goes to the emergency room after a car crash, there are expenses involved that may not be entirely covered by the amount paid in via taxes by that person. Here in the US people end up bankrupt and even lose their homes over those kinds of emergency room visits.

yeah I am aware what per capita means, but I thought it was just personal contribution. I edited my post accordingly since I just looked up what the average costs were for this year and they are actually higher than in the graph, heh.

Oct 25, 2017
The propaganda pushes itself. If by "voters" you mean people active on social media then you'd be correct. Those people don't vote though as evidenced by the primary. Polling and his primary performance show that the actual voting electorate is enthused to vote for him come November.

Biden is basically the alternative to Trump, people aren't completely stupid because they got a wake up call 4 years ago. He's not riding on hope for a better, he's riding on hatred for the guy trying to run the country like his own theme park.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
They both suck, I'm not voting for either they're both shitheels. Just because one peice of shit smells a little less shitty doesnt mean you have to accept either, vote independent.

It's because of people like you we got Trump in the first place. Voting independent in a US presidential election is the same as not voting.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Accelerationism is dangerous bullshit and I'm frustrated that it has taken hold on this board among so many posters. You know who gets hurt the most when the system burns to the ground? The disadvantaged and least fortunate among us.

Fucking hell. You want progressivism to live another day? The first step is not allowing Trump and his deranged cult four more years to further cement their power base. And yes, I am sure that is the last thing people in their mid-20s-mid 30s who have been hoping for change since they could vote want to hear. They've been hearing that from the Democratic party since they've been eligible to vote. "Stop this guy, and maybe next time around we can actually give you something you want".

The problem is Trump is a fundamental threat to this country the likes of which we have not seen since the Civil War. If you don't realize that by now you are beyond saving. I'll take the centrism Biden offers and try to live one more day.

Biden isn't even a centrist anymore. He supports $15 minimum wage, abolishing the death penalty, ending cash bail, Warren's bankruptcy reform, expanding pre-school education, expanding Medicare and a Medicare public option, reinstating Violence against Women act

Very few of these things were proposed by Obama in 08 and even Obama in 12... it's so bizarre how people are taking these huge steps for granted. Back in 08 Obama was seen as a progressive hero. Then again, it's probably electorally better for Biden to seem moderate even though he's running on some pretty leftwing ideas

Dec 22, 2017

All you are really doing is stringing your family along through constantly tumultuous times just like Democrats string voters along through generations of economic stagnation.

You are no Guile. You are a company man

This is such obvious trolling.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

I absolutely love that the way you form an understanding of your life is based on catchphrases from video games. It's very telling. I honestly can't tell if you're a troll or just a sad, sad individual. Either way, I'm sorry for you.

I'm voting Biden, since less black folks will die. He's not perfect, but he's a damn sight better than Trump.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Biden isn't even a centrist anymore. He supports $15 minimum wage, abolishing the death penalty, ending cash bail, Warren's bankruptcy reform, expanding pre-school education, expanding Medicare and a Medicare public option, reinstating Violence against Women act

Very few of these things were proposed by Obama in 08 and even Obama in 12... it's so bizarre how people are taking these huge steps for granted. Back in 08 Obama was seen as a progressive hero. Then again, it's probably electorally better for Biden to seem moderate even though he's running on some pretty leftwing ideas
Obama made a lot of promises too when he was campaigning in 08. "change we can believe in", remember that?
How did that turn out? There's a reason most people don't vote, there's a reason electoralism is dying in this country.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Obama made a lot of promises too when he was campaigning in 08. "change we can believe in", remember that?
How did that turn out? There's a reason most people don't vote, there's a reason electoralism is dying in this country.

2018 had the highest turnout of any midterm since WW2... what are you talking about? Even 2016 had higher turnout than 2012, and almost as much turnout as 2008. 2020 is going to have record high turnout.

I honestly can't take your comments seriously when you say something so fragrantly false.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is so sad that the state of politics in the anUS has gone so low that people doesnt need to earn your vote and instead just need to be barely above the absolute worst.
Biden has been trying to earn people's vote, like everybody has said that he would be the most left President ever because of everything that he would like to do with his plan for America.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I will not ever say that the former VP has my vote, but I will not risk my voting state going to a fascist. Not that I have to worry about Colorado, but I'll be voting to kick out Corey Gardner so I'll be in the booth anyway.

I just wish it wasn't him who will be only option.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Is your white fragility really that sensitive that you take issue with minorities saying that Trump has hurt them the most?

Let me ask you this then. Which group has benefited the most from Trump? The answer is white people and white supremacists. So don't give me that sob story when minorities have had to put up with him since he came into office and are the most impacted during this pandemic.

The point is that we should realize we are all in trouble. It's because of the fact people like you think by someone being white they are immune to Trump's excesses has led to the excessive tolerance for his administration in the beginning.

After everything he has done from assassinating an Iranian general, to giving North Korea and Saudi Arabia a passes, to his trade war creating net negative effect on our economy, to children in cages, to very fine people, to Comey had to be removed for investigating me, etc. that being white is not a shield to the problems we are facing.

It shouldn't have taken a pandemic for more white people to realize this but sadly this is the case.

The sooner you come to grips with this fact the better.

Also, I'm not white.

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Biden is basically the alternative to Trump, people aren't completely stupid because they got a wake up call 4 years ago. He's not riding on hope for a better, he's riding on hatred for the guy trying to run the country like his own theme park.
Yes, yes, mush brained old blah blah both sides. Getting Trump the fuck out of office is hope for the country as far as I'm concerned. On top of having an admin/party not trying to take away healthcare from millions/protections for those with pre-existing conditions. Not having our courts stacked with partisan shitheads signaling they're ready to take up Roe vs Wade is hope for the country. Not being led by someone that sits on their ass all day crying on Twitter and pulling us out of every possible global alliance is hope for the country. We're literally in the middle of a fucking pandemic both sidesing. Join the rest of us in the self-inflicted hellscape that is 2020.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
2018 had the highest turnout of any midterm since WW2... what are you talking about? Even 2016 had higher turnout than 2012, and almost as much turnout as 2008. 2020 is going to have record high turnout.

I honestly can't take your comments seriously when you say something so fragrantly false.
Look back further than WW2 to see the bigger picture. Voter turnout has been basically flat around 60% for presidential elections and 40-50% for midterms since 1925. I find that to be absolutely pathetic. Half the nation doesn't vote! People are so disenfranchised, so alienated from the political process that they feel it's not even worth the trouble! Compare it to 1840-1900 when you had 70-80% of the population voting for president.

www.electproject.org

US Elections Project - national-1789-present

National General Election VEP Turnout Rates, 1789-Present National general election voting-eligible population turnout rates for presidential and midterm elections are plotted below, along with the raw data provided in an accompanying spreadsheet. These numbers are taken from Vital Statistics of

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Did you fall asleep during the 2010 midterms like the rest of the electorate? Could it be Republicans and their sole objective to destroy our government, actively suppress turnout, and then point to our broken government to further depress turnout as rubes continue to vote them in while everyone else sits out? Change isn't possible?

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Whatever you think about Biden there is certainty that he will have exponentially better people around him than Trump. It won't even be 1/100 as bad. Trump has curated his inner circle to the weakest of yes men that are pretty much complete losers that no one would ever hire but they stroke his ego so they got a job. Bidens administration will be better in every single way.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Fuck this metaphor. All it does is sensitize the core issue. I agree with your end point, but people who were desperate for change pretty much got the response of "well it's not gonna be as bad with this guy" compared to drastic systemic change they were counting on from better candidates. Stop letting Biden coast on "well he's not Trump".
Be careful, you may get labeled an enemy of the movement by daring to suggest that Biden needs to do something other than not be Trump.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but America was just fine with nominating, and then electing, someone like Trump in the first place. Obviously I don't really mean it was just "fine" with it, and I also know that it's hardly news. But it happened all the same.

But I say all that because I'm reminded of a scene from a movie called A Bronx Tale, in which Chazz Palminteri's character and his crew ask a rowdy and unwelcomed biker gang to leave their bar. They were asked nicely, and they refused to leave.

So now, Chazz locks the exit door and says they can't leave. They had their chance, and now they can't leave.

Similarly, America had a chance to escape Trump, and now it can't.

On the other hand, America had a chance to escape "moderates" like Obama and Pelosi and Biden, and now it can't.

Moderates, as we know, are just Republican-lite, looking at it objectively.

It is widely known that America's so-called left is still centrist at best or even right of center when compared to actual leftism globally.

The fact remains that now you just pick your poison. You are left with only the choice of what poison you pick.

So the real choice you have is, do you decide to meet your demise head-on at the hands of a wolf in dictatorship clothing, or do you prolong your suffering cowardly under a wolf in sheep's clothing?

I'd rather just roll the dice and see what goes down. Let's see how many of them we can take down before they take us down. Let's see how unscathed they come out of it, since they want to keep rattling the cage. As the great Tank in the first Matrix movie said, "Exciting times ahead."

Ah yes the good old movie American cowboy hero thing, I know the US is new to this all being a country thing, so it hasn't really had the "opportunity" to buy into the all dictatorship thing in the past, but that is not how things tend to go down, it's less movie hero underdog fighting big bad guy, and more like apathetic and discontent public roll the dice, devolve into a dictatorship where the power is so institutionalized with the people at the top, that the people at the bottom are exploited for decades on end, with all the fun things that come with it, like you know insane poverty, control, exploitation, suffering, and straight up massive amounts of torture thrown in.
So yeah not so much the inverse of prolonged suffering, quite the contrary, but hey I'm sure American exceptionalism will strike here too, and you guys will be the exception to the rule, and will totally just duke it out and solve it in a few years and then move instantly to this new utopia of boundless prosperity, instead of what happens to every other country, where at least an entire generation pretty much forfeits any real opportunity they had, just to drag a country out of some truly awful conditions.

This mindless anarchist defeatism sounds like the kind of drek college age me would spout while drunk.

Here in the real world some of us have families and people we love to support and want the best we can for them, even if we have to make do with the best of a set of suboptimal choices. Black people are getting murdered and you post this navel gazing smarmy nonsense. Grow up.

Clearly you just need to see more movies, because life is like movies you see, either that or a game of dice, hard to tell really.

Gully Bully

Aug 19, 2019
I absolutely love that the way you form an understanding of your life is based on catchphrases from video games. It's very telling. I honestly can't tell if you're a troll or just a sad, sad individual. Either way, I'm sorry for you.

I'm voting Biden, since less black folks will die. He's not perfect, but he's a damn sight better than Trump.

You are someone who will sit in your office, or in a factory on an assembly line, or what have you, and you will come up with every imaginable excuse and justification for why you don't need to do anything else for society when you get home, because you have already done enough for everyone just by having a job, voting for Biden, and paying your taxes.

You will never actually organize any community efforts, or run for any political office, or do any canvassing for any candidate, because for you it's enough to scratch the itch by posting in political forums and accusing others of being undeveloped basement dwellers.

That is the outcome of your meandering family man life, endlessly wondering how we collectively got to this point after eight years of Obama. Either way, I'm sorry for you too.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
The scary thing is that we won't even know how much Trump has truly crippled institutions until we extract him from office. I'm sure we have only seen the tip of the iceberg of the damage he has done.

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
In the end of the day, I want real, practical, actionable solutions. The country is in turmoil. Unemployment is at 20%+, there's a pandemic raging on, we have massive income inequality, trillions of dollars worth of budget deficits, and there is civil unrest. I want a solution that can be implemented. Third party or protest voting is not something that can be implemented. There's two sides. Pick one. We need to take action, and it needs to be taken now.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Look back further than WW2 to see the bigger picture. Voter turnout has been basically flat around 60% for presidential elections and 40-50% for midterms since 1925. I find that to be absolutely pathetic. Half the nation doesn't vote! People are so disenfranchised, so alienated from the political process that they feel it's not even worth the trouble! Compare it to 1840-1900 when you had 70-80% of the population voting for president.

www.electproject.org

National General Election VEP Turnout Rates, 1789-Present National general election voting-eligible population turnout rates for presidential and midterm elections are plotted below, along with the raw data provided in an accompanying spreadsheet. These numbers are taken from Vital Statistics of
I really confused how this goes against what that person said when you have to go back almost 200 years for the numbers to not be "flat" ignoring the increase in 2018 and expected increase in 2020. if anything those numbers show that turnout have been increasing in the recent elections.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yes, an advocacy group... consisting entirely of doctors. Forget that image if you like, and focus on the other three I posted below which have no agenda and are strictly made up of data showing just how inefficient and poor-value privatized healthcare is compared to every other developed nation with universal healthcare.
Ok, I saw those about the current system. I was trying to understand some independent numbers on the Public Option that the chart was giving numbers on though. I wanted to understand what the consensus was on Biden's plan as far as number uninsured, etc.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Are you at least an activist by trade?

Because if you're not going to participate, why even live in this country?

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017

www.electproject.org

In 1840 - 1900 only rich white men could vote. The majority of the population was literally disenfranchised.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
In 1840 - 1900 only rich white men could vote. The majority of the population was literally disenfranchised.
You're right, that's a fair point. However, today voting is done on a non-holiday tuesday. And in many places throughout the nation it takes hours or even an entire day. How many Americans are privileged enough to be able to afford - and get away with - taking a day off work to vote? Hint: poverty-stricken individuals can't vote. That turns out to be about 60% of the US population. https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Ok, I saw those about the current system. I was trying to understand some independent numbers on the Public Option that the chart was giving numbers on though. I wanted to understand what the consensus was on Biden's plan as far as number uninsured, etc.
Here are two pretty good reads about the problems of the public option, from two different publications with vastly different politics:

www.nytimes.com.

Opinion | The Public Option Is Not an Easy Fix for Health Care (Published 2020)

Experiences in Washington State and Colorado demonstrate the challenges of trying to create a nationwide insurance plan.
newrepublic.com

The Public Option Bait and Switch

The health care plans competing against Medicare for All are benefiting from a lack of scrutiny.

discotheque

Dec 23, 2019
You're right, that's a fair point. However, today voting is done on a non-holiday tuesday. And in many places throughout the nation it takes hours or even an entire day. How many Americans are privileged enough to be able to afford - and get away with - taking a day off work to vote? Hint: poverty-stricken individuals can't vote. That turns out to be about 60% of the US population. https://money.cnn.com/2017/01/12/pf/americans-lack-of-savings/index.html
Seems like it would be a good idea to try to vote out the party responsible for disenfranchising so many people!

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Seems like it would be a good idea to try to vote out the party responsible for disenfranchising so many people!
Strawman argument, I've never advocated for voting republican and never would. I would argue, however, that both parties are responsible for disenfranchising the people in nearly equal measure, by representing corporate interests over the interests of human beings.

Nov 17, 2017
I get the feeling people with that mindset want a perfect fairy tale solution. Like I see people here arguing that Biden won't end systemic racism. No shit. No person can get in office next year and just snap that away. But a lot of things are gonna get worse with 4 more years of Trump. I'd rather be able to start pushing back in the other direction even if it's just a start than to let things decline even further because we don't have the perfect cure-all answer. I don't get why it has to be all or nothing. I think you really have to be speaking from a place of privilege to think 4 more years of Trump will be no worse.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
I get the feeling people with that mindset want a perfect fairy tale solution. Like I see people here arguing that Biden won't end systemic racism. No shit. No person can get in office next year and just snap that away. But a lot of things are gonna get worse with 4 more years of Trump. I'd rather be able to start pushing back in the other direction even if it's just a start than to let things decline even further because we don't have the perfect cure-all answer. I don't get why it has to be all or nothing. I think you really have to be speaking from a place of privilege to think 4 more years of Trump will be no worse.
Nah miss me with that shit. "Vote blue no matter who" is the real position of privilege.

medium.com

The Ungodly Privilege of “Vote Blue No Matter Who”

Sometimes “better than nothing” actually . . . isn’t. . .

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Broadly speaking there is no justification for Trump over Biden. If you are somebody making the argument that Biden is or could be just as harmful, it's time for some self reflection.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Lol. Yeah. Obama 'lied' and it wasn't obstructionist Republicans blocking every bit of change Obama attempted to make. People like the idea of change but they don't show up for midterm elections. There's no such thing as a god king president. Obama, Biden, Bernie, Warren, AOC aren't just going to get into office and save the world.

Seraph84

Banned
May 27, 2020
NYC
Broadly speaking there is no justification for Trump over Biden. If you are somebody making the argument that Biden is or could be just as harmful, it's time for some self reflection.
Joe Biden is a classic white moderate. Let's see what Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had to say about people like him:

"First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured."

I can't in good conscious support a candidate with a history of that kind of racism.