• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
I mean... i have no time to even finish the demo. How many did not bother finishing it? Or realized it's not for them? A big demo like this, with 10 hours of content, might hurt sales more than it helps.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It hit the Switch in an incredibly congested month, but the demo revealed what was pretty much a backwards looking jRPG. That killed me off on it.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
If they want it to be a global franchise, they need to start treating it like one.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like DQXI on PC, PS4 + 3DS along with DQXIS were successful projects overall. Sure like the vast majority of that success was because of domestic sales but that's not unexpected or even disappointing, each version has done well enough there in context.

The obvious thing that needs to improve for 12 is a simultaneous worldwide launch that gets rid of needless bickering and holding off from buying one version for a year to wait for a different version. There's no evidence that the multitude of versions really helped XI, at least globally. Especially when one didn't even release internationally.

Just release DQXII multiplatform, global launch and it's already more likeable there.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
On the bright side a definitive edition release for PS4/PC/Xbox would probably bring in a few more sales. Also in the future they really need to release it in all platforms at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like DQXI on PC, PS4 + 3DS along with DQXIS were successful projects overall. Sure like the vast majority of that success was because of domestic sales but that's not unexpected or even disappointing, each version has done well enough there in context.

The obvious thing that needs to improve for 12 is a simultaneous worldwide launch that gets rid of needless bickering and holding off from buying one version for a year to wait for a different version. There's no evidence that the multitude of versions really helped XI, at least globally. Especially when one didn't even release internationally.

Just release DQXII multiplatform, global launch and it's already more likeable there.

All of this.
Though I don't think this will happen until Sugiyama dies.
Honestly, so much of the series is being held back because of that miser.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I'm the worst, I waited for the switch version and still haven't picked it up ;_;

If it's any consolation, this would be my first one though

Dymaxion

Sep 19, 2018
I like Dragon Quest, and I'm enjoying playing 3 on my phone right now, but 11S is here at a time when too many other Nintendo games are out, and I have too much to do. Here's hoping there's a drought between Animal Crossing and Zelda BotW 2, so I can make room for it, because I'm sold on 11S otherwise.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
DQXI is such a great game. Seriously, even if you've never played DQ, if you're a fan of SNES RPGs like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6, or even just Akira Toriyama's character designs from Chrono Trigger and Dragon Ball, you'll love it.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Did Walmart ever even sell this game in America? I was at two Walmart's in my area and they never sold this game and never even had a spot for it in the case....

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
It should've launched on Switch and PS4 simultaneously. It was really stupid of them to think people would double dip, and it honestly bit them in the ass - late ports of JRPGs never do particularly well.

this is me, salty about the whole situation.
i bought and almost finished it on PS4 before they announced the super-special-ultra-complete Switch version.

i felt burned. no way am i going to double-dip.

Rattlethyhead

Jan 7, 2019
People keep talking about how horrible the sales were for this game. And how it bombed. I actually believe that's inaccurate. I was watching it stay in the top ten on the eshop for at least three weeks of not more. Number five or six to be exact. I believe the digital version did better than anyone is expecting.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Dragon Quest has been made with Japan in mind for years. Dragon Quest XI S and XI in general won't change anything.
I don't think the sales for this game were that surprising for Square. It's sold very well in Japan and will likely clear over 1 million WW, which is great for a full priced port of a JRPG (a genre with notoriously poor legs)

Mashy

Oct 28, 2017
It should've launched on Switch and PS4 simultaneously. It was really stupid of them to think people would double dip, and it honestly bit them in the ass - late ports of JRPGs never do particularly well.

Yep, but they also should have patched the PS4/PC version to have the same added features as the S (I dont believe it has).

No matter what, it was shit for Switch players to get it so late and it was shit for PS4/PC players to not get the added things.

I double dipped because I loved the game but this is seriously on Square for shitty decision making ... again.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Loved the game, and I almost double dipped to play the game in the retro graphics but that just isn't enough to get me to pay the full amount for it twice. Once it's cheaper in a couple of years I will buy.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately, the way of the world is such that the only vote that counts is one made with the wallet. There is clearly a rabid fanbase for the series, but not the financial presence necessary for the games to flourish in the West. Then again, eventually Yakuza crossed the ocean, so there is always hope. More power to you.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean... i have no time to even finish the demo. How many did not bother finishing it? Or realized it's not for them? A big demo like this, with 10 hours of content, might hurt sales more than it helps.

I played it till the credit but I nope out of Act 3, which is post game, because of the Time Travel nonsense that would render act 2 completely pointless and undo all the character growth that occurred in act 2.

Oct 25, 2017
I love jrpgs.

I tried with this series. I really did. I bought xi. But it sucks.
I put 20 hours with it and felt like I played enough for a lifetime.

The story wasn't interesting.
The main character not talking was a turn off.
The combat was extremely 1 note. Felt like something come out of Rpg maker.
I DESPISE enemies being in "groups" in battle.

Beautiful graphics. I'll give it that much.

If you love it, then great. But I'll never buy another dq game if it's essentially the same thing.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
It's maybe presumptuous to say it "bombed." We don't know what its sales were like exactly, but it charted decently in the eShop. It wasn't a hit, but it released in a busy period.

Whether it performed to expectations or not, who knows. Square Enix's can sometimes be lofty, while Nintendo's are more realistic.

But yeah, safe to say Dragon Quest will never break out in the West if Nintendo's marketing couldn't do it.

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Can't find total numbers, but it had the best launch month in North America in franchise history. So whatever it makes on the Switch is just icing on top. I don't think we have to worry about DQXII not coming to the West.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
this is me, salty about the whole situation.
i bought and almost finished it on PS4 before they announced the super-special-ultra-complete Switch version.

i felt burned. no way am i going to double-dip.

I felt just the same. I was actually enjoying on PS4 and was really near the end, but I felt a little burned and took a break to play other things. Then the release of the better SW version just soured the whole thing.
I really don't know if I'll ever go back and finish it.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'm planning to double-dip and buy the Switch version at some point, but I'll only pick it up if there's a good sale.

Daeoc

Oct 27, 2017
MA
Dragon Quest has always been a hard sell for me, while the games aren't bad at all, they don't pull me in like other games. Dragon Quest XI is the first since VIII that made me want to try to get into the series again, but I'm not buying a worse version. I don't have a Switch, but if I did, I would still have to choose between content(on Switch) and resolution/frame rate(PC). It is like how Atlus decided to released the original Catherine on PC but not Full Body, I'm not interested.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I mean it sold the first time around. People see this as a GotY Edition.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
Truth.

I think DQXI would have been an deal Switch game, but I already got the platinum on PS4 and it's a game that, while I adored it, I have no intention of ever revisiting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Truth.

I think DQXI would have been an deal Switch game, but I already got the platinum on PS4 and it's a game that, while I adored it, I have no intention of ever revisiting.

It's such a LONG game, too. Some games it kind of makes sense to just re-buy and blaze through again. But XI is so damn long and the pacing is so inconsistent I just can't imagine a lot of people wanting to pay full price again for the chance to do it all again.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They'd get the same reaction that they seem to have gotten on Switch without a reasonable option.

I wouldn't be surprised, they did re-release FFX and FF XII for Xbox and Switch at full price. I know it's not exactly the same situation since those plataform didn't get the games before but still... you could buy the PS4 or PC versions for less than half of the price.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Lol yea sure. They showed me how much I'm appreciated by not putting in any extra content for the people who bought it full price a year ago. Fuck off Square.

They managed to piss off both groups of people

Protodude

Oct 25, 2017
Are there *actual* numbers behind XI S? Or are people just reading into it b/c it wasn't in the NPD?

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised, they did re-release FFX and FF XII for Xbox and Switch at full price. I know it's not exactly the same situation since those plataform didn't get the games before but still... you could buy the PS4 or PC versions for less than half of the price.
With less content. I haven't seen word that FFVII on PS4 has gotten that music bug fixed after every other version has been fixed.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Love DQ, but yeah, this. Heck I haven't picked up XI S just because I'm still in the middle of my PC playthrough (I bought the PS4 LE AND the pc version though)
Why would you buy the game three different times on three different platforms? Sorry I'm not being weird I just don't understand the logic that's all. Is it to support the developer? I certainly couldn't play through the game more than once even though I loved it