• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Boycott?

• Yes

Votes: 601 57.5%
  • No

Votes: 390 37.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 54 5.2%

• Total voters

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I've been boycotting Apple (and spreading my hate of their products) for a good 10 years by now.

So yeah of course, i see no reason to change my ways. :p

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder what % of people actually boycott products, rather than just say it. I bet it it's in the single digits.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao ditching Apple for a Chinese company made phone running an operating system by an American company just as willing to bend over for China. You guys have to have more self awareness than this lol

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
What position is that
I feel that Apple has been a long-time proponent of diversity. It has a good record on LGBTQ/women's/minority rights. It has also shown support for HIV/AIDS awareness. While its record on the environment and fair labour has not always been perfect, when there is an issue, changes are generally made in a timely and transparent fashion. Though Tim Cook may not be the most dynamic CEO, he is considered a progressive one.

Last edited:

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
I don't own anything from Apple and I never will. Not because of this issue, obviously. I've just always felt they were a sleazy company that would put dollars before morals.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. I never really boycott anything.

Of course, I doubt I will ever pay for Apple Arcade in the first place. But this won't be the reason.

Do you boycott Google as well then?
For real. If "putting dollars before morals"'is your dealbreaker, there's not a company on the planet that you can buy from.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
This is very easy for me since i simply don't use Apple products, at all i think. Just don't like them.

supervino256

Aug 14, 2019
Honestly I wanted to give Apple Arcade a shot, as the games on iOS looked surprisingly good, and I stopped paying for Netflix. I never play on mobile, I much prefer console games where you actually pay for a full game. This looked better. But I'm not doing it now.
That Apple respect the Chinese law (however stupid the CPP might be) is one thing. But the tone and rhetoric used in the internal memo that Cook sent to Apple employees was really pushing it too far.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard seems to have lost their moral concept but Apple never had any morals to begin with

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Do you boycott Google as well then?
At every possible opportunity. My phone uses android, but I don't buy anything from their store and I don't allow them to track me or sell my info to advertising companies. I don't use Chrome and I don't own any of their products. Satisfied?

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Now imagine the company I work for didn't sue a Chinese company for ip theft, because they were more worried about building the big Chinese firewall and winning a foot in China.
Companies will do anything for money.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, is apple's obligation to maximize shareholder value more important than its social responsibilities?

Oct 27, 2017
What an incredibly loaded question. Lets see if we get a similar thread when the PS5 launches, 'are you going to finance genocide by purchasing the PS5 which is manufactured in China?'

but no, I wont, because I dont use Apple Arcade anyway

Last edited:

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I don't buy mobile phone games so not really an issue for me to continue not giving them my money on that front. I'm not even sure the last time I paid for an app. I do use an iPhone, and will likely one day buy another one (been holding out and using an iPhone 7 since whenever it first came out) which I admit isn't great.

OP
OP
Kaivan

Kaivan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What an incredibly loaded question. Lets see if we get a similar thread when the PS5 launches, 'are you going to finance genocide by purchasing the PS5 which is manufactured in China?'

but no, I wont, because I dont use Apple Arcade anyway
What an extremely narrow point of view.

Can't you see the difference between companies that only invest in China versus the likes of Blizzard and Apple that clearly made statements regarding their support of the Chinese government's crimes?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Some factors I would weigh in making this decision (would because I very rarely buy games on my phone):

By boycotting games specifically you're affecting developers more than you are Apple. If an indie dev launches a game in the next few months they've been working on for some time and you refuse to buy it because they launched on a major mobile platform should they be punished for the platform's behavior?

Is there an alternative? Boycotts are most effective when they send a clear message, and they send the clearest message when consumers are able to redirect their spending to a product clearly made with different values. Hypothetically, if a fast food restaurant releases an LGBTQ friendly marketing campaign and in the following months their revenues appreciably increase while Chick-Fil-As decrease, the companies may have a solid idea that consumers are attempting to send a message that they do not want to spend money at restaurants that advocate ideas they disagree with. Are there any mobile platforms that are taking a strong stance against China? I'm not saying a boycott could be effective at all if no competitors come out against China, but again, be mindful of how the message will be perceived.

How principled of a stand is boycotting mobile games? I know this is subjective and I also have experienced games that are exceptions, but for me a vast majority of phone games are little time-wasters I play while standing in line somewhere, or waiting for a train, or riding in a car. I prefer to play anything that will command my attention at home where I can focus. Personally boycotting mobile games would seem like a copout. Selling my phone and switching to an Android would be far, far more impactful if I wanted to send a message.

I canceled my Apple Arcade trial before my month was even up. I could boycott it easily.

This is basically where I'm at (I also cancelled my sub after less than a week after beating What the Golf and playing Grindstone until I got bored of it). Boycotting something I don't use anyway isn't much of a boycott.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
The difference between your post and Op post: Op has actual facts. You are writing with the "I know something" and "often" phrases, that are "often" used when there are no facts to support the argument.

You may be right, may be not. Just give sources if you want to be taken seriously.

Well, number one, you have zero facts in your post. You just used often, where are *your* facts? Rigidly subscribing to some formulaic language chant is not as intellectual as you appear to think

Number two, I'm not sure how you managed to post on resetera without having any access to web search. May I humbly recommend Duck Duck Go? I used google, and literally the first result is a news story about Google pulling the same kind of app. Where was that in OP's post? Particularly when Google offers an Android version of Arcade?

Number three, my comment was already something like five paragraphs long. I wrote it from bed at 3AM ahead of work on Saturday morning. So you'll forgive me for not doing research that you demand from me (indeed, I thought I was replying with my experiences, not doing your book report for you).

Number four, OP had nothing about other tech companies and no real facts other than Apple pulling the app.

Number five, while I'm a UX designer and instructor now, I used to be an attorney, and doing research usually costs some money. In the time it took you to type out your absolutely fact-free reply, you could have used a search engine to look up "Google China" or "Microsoft China."

Number six, here's your freebie, knock yourself out.

That should get you started, I'd think.

he also says he prefers a British HK.
Ive got no time for colonial nostalgia.

I don't "prefer" a British HK. Maybe ask me what I think instead of misinterpreting what I wrote, which you absolutely (and seemingly purposefully) did. I said I'd rather see HK either independent or enter into a relationship with the UK. I also preceded that by saying Tibet and Xinjiang should be independent, which of course, you also failed to note in your rush to reply.

The reason I said this specifically about HK is because HK has strong cultural and most importantly legal ties to the UK. The reason for these protests is the conflict between HK's western-style system of English common law and political freedom against the CCP's fascism. For a country in a precarious place in East Asia, looking to the UK for help would make some sense, especially as they only left that status in the late 1990s. I admit to not being an expert in HK law, but if you could tell me in what jurisdictions you're barred in (particularly if it is Hong Kong), I can follow up (I'm Georgia and California). Perhaps the handover is ancient history to you, but I remember it quite well, and the issues the protesters are fighting for are bound up in that past.

The ridiculousness of your comment is remarkable (I don't know why I'm taking it semi-seriously by even responding when you couldn't bother using punctuation or capital letters). My parents are South Asian and I am against British colonialism. 100%. That said, I'd guess nearly all the HK protesters would rather be linked to the UK than to China right now. If the people of HK decided they'd be better in some kind of union with the English, who are you (or I?) to say they can't? If they're not interested in that, that's fine - that's why I wrote or (another word you missed when mischaracterizing my post).

Last edited:

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
Chicago, IL
Well, number one, you have zero facts in your post. You just used often, where are *your* facts? Rigidly subscribing to some formulaic language chant is not as intellectual as you appear to think

Number two, I'm not sure how you managed to post on resetera without having any access to web search. May I humbly recommend Duck Duck Go? I used google, and literally the first result is a news story about Google pulling the same kind of app. Where was that in OP's post? Particularly when Google offers an Android version of Arcade?

Number three, my comment was already something like five paragraphs long. I wrote it from bed at 3AM ahead of work on Saturday morning. So you'll forgive me for not doing research that you demand from me (indeed, I thought I was replying with my experiences, not doing your book report for you).

Number four, OP had nothing about other tech companies and no real facts other than Apple pulling the app.

Number five, while I'm a UX designer and instructor now, I used to be an attorney, and doing research usually costs some money. In the time it took you to type out your absolutely fact-free reply, you could have used a search engine to look up "Google China" or "Microsoft China."

Number six, here's your freebie, knock yourself out.

That should get you started, I'd think.

I don't "prefer" a British HK. Maybe ask me what I think instead of misinterpreting what I wrote, which you absolutely (and seemingly purposefully) did. I said I'd rather see HK either independent or enter into a relationship with the UK. I also preceded that by saying Tibet and Xinjiang should be independent, which of course, you failed to note.

The reason I said this specifically about HK is because HK has strong cultural and most importantly legal ties to the UK. The reason for these protests is the conflict between HK's western-style system of English common law and political freedom against the CCP's fascism. For a country in a precarious place in East Asia, looking to the UK for help would make some sense, especially as they only left that status in the late 1990s. I admit to not being an expert in HK law, but if you could tell me in what jurisdictions you're barred in (particularly if it is Hong Kong), I can follow up (I'm Georgia and California). Perhaps the handover is ancient history to you, but I remember it quite well, and the issues the protesters are fighting for are bound up in that past.

The ridiculousness of your comment is remarkable (I don't know why I'm taking it semi-seriously by even responding when you couldn't bother using punctuation or capital letters). My parents are South Asian and I am against British colonialism. 100%. That said, I'd guess nearly all the HK protesters would rather be linked to the UK than to China right now. If the people of HK decided they'd be better in some kind of union with the English, who are you (or I?) to say they can't?

It was not my intention to misinterpret your post. I apologise.

I'm not sure how having the common law system helps HK in its fight for democracy. If anything, UK's involvement will anger China even more. Last time I checked, Hong Kong is neighboring China and 5,941 miles away from UK. HK also has a stronger tie to the Cantonese culture than British culture. So I can't really think of a good reason to get UK involved other than reminiscing about the good old days.

Also the demand of the protestors is universal suffrage, a promise the central government walked back on. I don't think the majority of the protestors are hoping for independence. In fact, both this protest and the umbrella movement are described as separatist by the Chinese state media as a way to discredit the protest.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
Gaming offerings, yes.

I just can't give up their Apple devices...

But I will push for them to get their stuff manufactured elsewhere.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Oh boy. That's a lot of articles about Google appeasing China. Where do the "I don't have Apple products. Pretty easy to boycott. Good thing I got Samsung etc" crowds go now? Blackberry? Microsoft? Nokia? lol

Oct 25, 2017
I do have apple devices computer and tablet, but didn't plan on using Arcade. I don't use any of their payed services, and don't plan to start. I can however let others know not to use them either.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Oh boy. That's a lot of articles about Google appeasing China. Where do the "I don't have Apple products. Pretty easy to boycott. Good thing I got Samsung etc" crowds go now? Blackberry? Microsoft? Nokia? lol
Wonder if someone will make an anti Google/Stadia thread to reflect Google's shitty stance on China too...let me guess, nah. Let's just focus on Apple because they are cool to hate.

Last edited:

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Some of y'all boycotting so hard are going to be forced into newspapers and classic maps in 2019.

It's shit, but like so many people have already proven, it's laughable if you think your preferred tech company wouldn't (Or hasn't already) buckle, too.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
It was not my intention to misinterpret your post. I apologise.

I'm not sure how having the common law system helps HK in its fight for democracy. If anything, UK's involvement will anger China even more. Last time I checked, Hong Kong is neighboring China and 5,941 miles away from UK. HK also has a stronger tie to the Cantonese culture than British culture. So I can't really think of a good reason to get UK involved other than reminiscing about the good old days.

Also the demand of the protestors is universal suffrage, a promise the central government walked back on. I don't think the majority of the protestors are hoping for independence. In fact, both this protest and the umbrella movement are described as separatist by the Chinese state media as a way to discredit the protest.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boycott a company for following the laws of the land? Hope you're going to boycott all the other companies.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
The "..." generation gap is an interesting thing.

Boomers use it to casually mark the end of a statement, millennials use it for implications, and gen-x wobbles somewhere in-between.

Yeah this is weird, did I miss a lesson in an English class or something? I don't understand how the '...', or ellipses, is meant to be the casual end of a statement.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To those who are saying, BOYCOTT APPLEEEE!

Okay, what's the good alternative. Don't dare say Google/Android. Fecking DON'T.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
To those who are saying, BOYCOTT APPLEEEE!

Okay, what's the good alternative. Don't dare say Google/Android. Fecking DON'T.

Blackberry?

It should be obvious most of this boycott is performative. As soon as any boycott starts to negatively impact someone even slightly, it's dropped in the name of convenience.

Deleted member 59562

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
China
I live in China, I work in China. I'm not boycotting the only phone that I can install US apps on without any hassle over the company complying with the laws and directives of the government.

Deleted member 3888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't use Apple products so it doesn't affect me, probably will continue to not buy their future products I guess.

Japi

Banned
Oct 14, 2019
But what about..?
If that's the first thing that came to your mind reading the title, please do make another topic for that. Thank you.

Alright, so thanks to this list compiled by Liyfda, we know that Apple has its own questionable decisions too regarding their Chinese government support.
In fact, I thinks these are more serious moves compared to Blizzard's recent fiasco. They were 'only' censoring the Hong Kong protest movement, while Apple is doing well beyond that. They're involved in almost every Chinese government's crime against human rights.

So what do you feel about it? Since we're in the gaming side of Era, are you willing to boycott their gaming offerings? (iOS gaming, Apple Arcade, etc)
Where is the crime? Your list with the exception of the "concentration camp" bullet point contain normal information control system used by every government in there scenarios, even if not, where is the crime and who is it against and what laws are the "Chinese government" breaking? furthermore I need more proof of concentration camps and not sensationalist pleadings. I'll wait...

Nov 4, 2017
How do you f@#$ a sheep? Release the same iPhone every year and charge a thousand bucks for it!

I haven't used an Apple device for over 5 years. Yes, Google suck too. I'm hoping the Librem phone takes off.