• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's not signed in deal yet, but this place I've been looking into... they said they'll have an opening for me....

I've saved up a lot of money... and it's time for me to move on with my life... but yet.... this is kinda scary, I'm excited and nervous at the same time. But yet it's something I have to do... it's time for me to move on. I'm ready to move out, find my new career, get married, maybe start a family, I'd like to do all that someday....

But yet, is it common to have such feelings of hesitation before it happens?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hesitation is normal before every major decision. Congrats on moving out, it'll be the first day of the rest of your life, and will bring its share of rewards and challenges.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's normal to be apprehensive, it's a major life change. Good luck, you'll be good. Having independence is great. Of course it can be overwhelming or challenging at times, but it's all about growing up.

But OP, FFS, slow your ass down getting married and having a family. For fucks sake, what I wouldn't give to be ~23 or 24 freshly moved out of my house but young enough to not have any responsibility. Of course, I was fucking BROKE as shit then.

Youth is wasted on the young

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Is it normal to feel hesitation when making a big change in your life? Uh..yes....

You'll be fine. As long as you can afford rent and you have a decent job that is. Living on your own is easy.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I liked it better when I didn't have responsibilities, that being said, I'm going to be living at home part time. My new job requires me to be at the hospital within 30 minutes when oncall, LA traffic really fucks that up. So I'll be staying at my parents one night a week and one weekend a month.

OP
OP
Uzumaki Goku

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Of course it's normal to be apprehensive, it's a major life change. Good luck, you'll be good. Having independence is great. Of course it can be overwhelming or challenging at times, but it's all about growing up.

But OP, FFS, slow your ass down getting married and having a family. For fucks sake, what I wouldn't give to be ~23 or 24 freshly moved out of my house but young enough to not have any responsibility. Of course, I was fucking BROKE as shit then.

Youth is wasted on the young
I'm older than that, it took years to save up enough money... I finished college later than most.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Reads like a Linkin' Park song...

That said, it's totally normal. I feel the same way in every step. That includes all my job changes.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Most people don't like change, so it's completely normal to have the feelings you do. Just know that living on your own and doing your own thing is awesome.

RobertM

Oct 31, 2017
You didn't really say if this your first move or not. I'm moving to the city and dreading the move parts because of multiple flights of stairs and how exhausting it is to carry shit all day, plus packing ugh. Advice, try to get first floor if you can if it's an apartment.

chadskin

Oct 27, 2017
You didn't really say if this your first move or not. I'm moving to the city and dreading the move parts because of multiple flights of stairs and how exhausting it is to carry shit all day, plus packing ugh. Advice, try to get first floor if you can if it's an apartment.
First floor if you like cold feet and peeping toms at your windows

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Advice, try to get first floor if you can if it's an apartment.

I have the exact opposite advice. Get top floor. Depending on your current/past living conditions, having someone live over your head might actually make you insane. It's not the same as "living" in the basement while your parents are upstairs. Get top floor, you can still have shitty neighbors but at least they won't stomp over your head at 5 in the morning and you won't notice when they decide to shuffle their furniture all over the place at midnight.

More seriously (still serious about getting that top floor, just exagarated a bit), it's perfectly normal to have second thoughts. Depending on your current accomodations, it might be harder. I know I had a great time living with my mom, and it felt daunting to stop living with her. But living alone is really great. Also epends on your personality type, some people have a harder time living alone. Some adapt quickly. You can't really see unless you do it.

As silly as it sounds, don't be afraid of being afraid to change. It's normal. You'll eventually get settled in and be comfortable, and forget about it.

EDIT : If you can afford it, hire a cleaning person. Cleaning sucks, luckily you can pay others to do it for you.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Enjoy your freedom. Just remember, you home is your temple. Your sanctuary. Keep it safe, keep it CLEAN. It's your corner of the world. Take pride in it. Treat it as an extension of yourself.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I was pretty nervous when I first moved out and I felt extremely lonely during the first few weeks. I still hate coming home to a dark, empty apartment but I think my overall quality of life has increased since moving out. I also think it improved my relationship with my family.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
On the first floor discussion, I'll add that (at least in my building) you run the risk of being near the garbage bins, and if you have collector trucks come by your building for them it's literally hell in the morning. It happens every few days at 7am at my building, and they take like 10 minutes minimum.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've been out of my parents' for the last 12 years and wouldn't want to go back.
Enjoy your freedom, being able to eat ice cream for dinner and having to do chores by yourself.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I'm usually a very confident person.
I had to do a number 2 like ten times the night before I signed my mortgage. Moving was no problem at all, but the finantial side of it got to me.