• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I mean it's not like Latinamerica hates US people or the US in general, specially since many have family there. But the distrust has been earned.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean makes sense, they need to do business with somone and if I was them I'd be siding with the morally dubious neoimperalist power that hadn't repeatedly fucked them over already over the one that has done so many, many times in the past too. Neither option is great, but one has a long history of fucking over LatAm and the other doesn't yet, so the choice feels pretty clear for them

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
China has been pretty diligent about getting in with the South American governments. They were taking advantage of the time when the US was fostering hatred of the countries in question.

It's akin to Iran and/or Russia filling the gaps in the Middle East.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Can't say I could blame them. There are risks in dealing with China but the U.S. track record in Central and South America is absolutely horrific.

Oct 25, 2017
0518-1-large-rayetal-map.jpg

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was with more sino speaking countries rather than having all bets on China.

As for anglos, well... (shrug) Love you all, sweethearts. :)

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
And this is why we need to invest more in Latin America, which would also help reduce stress from immigration.

Latin America needs god-to-honest reparations from the USA, not just investment. Reparations for the decades and decades of atrocities we've been party to, the Drug War, and the century and change of climate change destruction and literally criminal negligence and coverups done by our multinational corporations on the global stage every year of the last century and still counting.

Its an awful tragedy. #Eta had already devastated Central America. Honduras lost 20% GDP in just a few days! Organized civilization is impossible if we keep burning fossil fuels.

WaPo: Honduras president seeks assistance, warns of increased migration in wake of devastating hurricanes
Hernández and several other senior Honduran officials visited Washington this week to lobby for a humanitarian assistance package from multilateral organizations such as the World Bank and from the U.S. government. He stressed the link between the hurricanes and climate change, suggesting that wealthier countries that emit more greenhouse gases have a debt to pay in the recovery effort.

"We are one of the countries that produce the least emissions," he said. "But we are the hardest hit by these phenomena."
Both Honduras and Guatemala have said they will seek assistance from the United Nations' Green Climate Fund, but Hernandez complained that those funds were "bureaucratic and difficult to access," and that Honduras needed faster ways to respond to climate change-related disasters.

Oct 26, 2017
Latin America needs god-to-honest reparations from the USA, not just investment. Reparations for the decades and decades of atrocities we've been party to, the Drug War, and the century and change of climate change destruction and literally criminal negligence and coverups done by our multinational corporations on the global stage every year of the last century and still counting.

WaPo: Honduras president seeks assistance, warns of increased migration in wake of devastating hurricanes

Yeah they need them, as well as from Europe/Spain due to how they stripped the region of some its most valuable resources, but it's not gonna happen. Best we can hope for is Biden/Dems doing a second "Marshall Plan" in Latin America like some other Dem candidates for the presidency had been proposing, and if they believe Chinese influence in the region is enough of a threat it may give them enough motivation to make it happen. Still, not expecting much sadly aside from some mostly ineffectual deals and some disaster relief.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Im going to be honest,i dont want to hear a single judgmental word from any american about this. Not a single one. Im not gonna blame people that are alive today for crimes of older administration,but also nothing infuriates me more than americans trying to act noble and/or condescending. My family suffered and died because of military coup they sponsored(and created, if im being even more honest).

Aug 8, 2019
57 military interventions (probably more at this point) vs. 0

Definitely a difficult choice for LatAm countries there.

Any arguments about Chinese soft power imperialism, even if true, are laughable in the face of U.S.-Latin American relations after the establishment of the Monroe Doctrine.

ultraluna

Jun 3, 2020
Fuck american imperialism, and the harm it has done to Latin America for over a century now. All american presidents are war criminals.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
For infrastructure China was a godsend for most Latam countries. Their construction companies are good, offer good prices and they are quick.Having that said, the CCP is still a murderous government that needs to be held accountable.

Only downside is not every country will be able to pay back the loans. As a result China will get a bunch of ports and military bases in deals that last decades. It's just more neocolonialism.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah they need them, as well as from Europe/Spain due to how they stripped the region of some its most valuable resources, but it's not gonna happen. Best we can hope for is Biden/Dems doing a second "Marshall Plan" in Latin America like some other Dem candidates for the presidency had been proposing, and if they believe Chinese influence in the region is enough of a threat it may give them enough motivation to make it happen. Still, not expecting much sadly aside from some mostly ineffectual deals and some disaster relief.

Yeah, but I still hold out a little hope that the imperialists nations will be held to some sort of justice, and won't be allowed to rebrand themselves because they show up to door with a bucketload of money and not even a "We're super sorry for literally everything" note attached to it.

Reparations would garner so much goodwill cause just showing up with loans and such probably isn't going to get Latin America to kick China out to get back together with their historic and current abusers.

Like one of the biggest things the USA can do for all of Latin America is to immediately end the Drug War. It'll do a lot for us here in the states too.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Seems to me the USA can't move past their cold war mentality - why should you care about what investments China does in Latin America after all your governments have done?

I could understand the worries of those that have families here, or if this topic was created by Latin Americans to discuss between Latin Americans, but why should you have people from the US commenting on this, from their position of privilege? To all those talking about "how this is going to end", let me tell you: probably better than if the US tried something again. China is willing to throw money around, and most of the region needs it right now, either to face the consequences of the pandemic or to direct it to different projects, like infraestructure.

What has the US done the last year...? Oh, yeah, your president blocked in the height of the first wave the exportation of N95 masks when the american branch of 3M is the supplier for basically all of Latam. I'll take our countries' chances with China. I'd prefer if it was Europe, but they kind of have their own issues to worry about and their own messes to fix.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
China has been a bigger trade partner for pretty much all of them for up to over a decade, has little to do with the US president or what he does and everything with China becoming the biggest economy in the world.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Only downside is not every country will be able to pay back the loans. As a result China will get a bunch of ports and military bases in deals that last decades. It's just more neocolonialism.

I know in Africa they have a different approach, but in Latam they are mostly building infrastructure at low prices. In my country they have several projects, but none of them would result on them getting ownership of said project, since those funds are already paid.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all, please don't think I'm doom posting, but I have a gut feeling we're going to end up in an armed conflict with China before the end of the decade.

Eh...as with Russia, Mutually Assured Destruction all-but guarantees a direct conflict between between the US and China will likely never happen. What we are on a clear path towards, however, are proxy wars with China - as we've been doing with Russia for the last 50-60 years. Proxy Wars are our government's favorite passtime as far as our foreign policy is concerned.

These proxy conflicts could very likely break out in Latin America and/or Africa - another area of the world that China is investing tons of money and labor into. They'll back one side, and we'll back the other.

Like we did with the USSR, the United States in China are heading full-speed towards a decades-long battle over global influence. And like the Cold War, millions of innocent people are likely going to get killed because of it.

I'm honestly far more worried about another Vietnam-like conflict happening than anything else.

chimpychi

Oct 27, 2017
My family in el salvador say lots of new projects from airports, to power plants, roads and ports are being foundered by China..things they themselves would not be able to handle. So yeah, they're spending lots of money in the areas..

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I know in Africa they have a different approach, but in Latam they are mostly building infrastructure at low prices. In my country they have several projects, but none of them would result on them getting ownership of said project, since those funds are already paid.

Assuming it's paid for with a low internet loan like the ones in the OP, then it's exactly the same as Africa and Asia. They offer these loans knowing they're too good to be true. If the country pays it back then China gets good PR and makes a nice profits if the loan goes unpaid then China forces the country to ink a deal where it owns the infrastructure for decades, sometimes as long as 99 years.

I'm not saying Latin American countries should rush into the arms of the Biden administration, only that they should understand that these loans are just as much of a Faustian bargain as the ones the US offers.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Why would American Imperialists get to decide who South America does business with?

The US has spend the last decades constantly destabilizing the region and the CIA has murdered leaders and opposition politicians!

Not saying that the CCP doesn't have as much, if not more, blood on their hands. But I can definitely see why South American countries are reluctant to invite more American interference into their countries

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Assuming it's paid for with a low internet loan like the ones in the OP, then it's exactly the same as Africa and Asia. They offer these loans knowing they're too good to be true. If the country pays it back then China gets good PR and makes a nice profits if the loan goes unpaid then China forces the country to ink a deal where it owns the infrastructure for decades, sometimes as long as 99 years.

I'm not saying Latin American countries should rush into the arms of the Biden administration, only that they should understand that these loans are just as much of a Faustian bargain as the ones the US offers.

Everyone knows how they work in Africa, Asia and some parts of Europe. But in our case, we would get a loan from the world bank, Central American bank or other bank institutions, then open a tender. Chinese companies usually offer the best price/quality projects and that's why they win in Latam most of the times. They are actively bringing down the price barrier for most countries.
Of course they are not all good guys, and they would take any chance to size a port or a road if given the chance, but thats not whats happening here.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017

Don't you think that's a bit denigrating? Latin American countries and its governments aren't children - while some may have pure trash as presidents, that doesn't mean there aren't good statesmen and women in different areas, including the economic area. When taking the decision to accept those loans, in many cases, its because its the only alternative to continue developing infraestructure that the region needs, or even if there are other alternatives, they're the most convenient. In my country, they're taking part in infraestructure projects and competing under the same conditions european or american companies are - if they don't fulfill part of the contract, they will be sued and tossed out. Despite that, they still offer better prices and good quality!

Acting like only the US can see the "threat" posed by China is quite insulting, to be honest.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you think that's a bit denigrating? Latin American countries and its governments aren't children - while some may have pure trash as presidents, that doesn't mean there aren't good statesmen and women in different areas, including the economic area. When taking the decision to accept those loans, in many cases, its because its the only alternative to continue developing infraestructure that the region needs, or even if there are other alternatives, they're the most convenient. In my country, they're taking part in infraestructure projects and competing under the same conditions european or american companies are - if they don't fulfill part of the contract, they will be sued and tossed out. Despite that, they still offer better prices and good quality!

Acting like only the US can see the "threat" posed by China is quite insulting, to be honest.

Problem is good politicians don't always win and no one is immune to propaganda. You're attempting to paint my concerns as xenophobia when I'm concerned for the people who want a better life getting screwed by selfish politicians and an imperialist nation masquerading as a friend. We've seen throughout the last few centuries how that's turned out, no amount of marketing changes what a lot of these deals are: neocolonialism. Just like McDonald's opening in Kuwait or a Levi's factory in Mexico, these act as arms of imperialism even if they aren't directly connected to the states they come from.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is good politicians don't always win and no one is immune to propaganda. You're attempting to paint my concerns as xenophobia when I'm concerned for the people who want a better life getting screwed by selfish politicians and an imperialist nation masquerading as a friend. We've seen throughout the last few centuries how that's turned out, no amount of marketing changes what a lot of these deals are: neocolonialism. Just like McDonald's opening in Kuwait or a Levi's factory in Mexico, these act as arms of imperialism even if they aren't directly connected to the states they come from.
No, I'm not painting your concerns as xenophobia. I'm calling you out in that its funny that the country that has been well known for their imperialism, and the damage they've done to Latin American development is now worried because their ideological rival is sneaking on their backyard. Most comments saying "I'm worried about the people" act like the people here can't weight the options for themselves, when they're truly looking out for how this impacts the US. I don't think that is what you, specifically, mean, but it does come across as irritating.

Good politicians don't always win, I know. Some current presidents of the entire american continent prove that.However, what you don't realize is that in many places there ARE better measures in place to avoid the country getting screwed over by foreign corporations than there were in the past. Corruption will exist, yes, but there are measures to stop it.

In Chile, for example, chinese companies are participating in state programs to build hospitals and roads, among other projects, and the licitation's rules are explicit in the contract. If they breached them, its reason enough to end the contract and sue, just as it would happen to any company, no matter its capitals. And we've got other institutions that are independent from the government that keep an eye on the development, like our Comptroller. If China decides to play by the rules that have been laid down, why should their offers be ignored?

At the same time, funny you speak of neocolonialism when basically all the utilities here are privatized and in hands of canadian/european/american controllers. Heck, at this point, its simply adding another country to the mix.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
No, I'm not painting your concerns as xenophobia. I'm calling you out in that its funny that the country that has been well known for their imperialism, and the damage they've done to Latin American development is now worried because their ideological rival is sneaking on their backyard. Most comments saying "I'm worried about the people" act like the people here can't weight the options for themselves, when they're truly looking out for how this impacts the US. I don't think that is what you, specifically, mean, but it does come across as irritating.

Good politicians don't always win, I know. Some current presidents of the entire american continent prove that.However, what you don't realize is that in many places there ARE better measures in place to avoid the country getting screwed over by foreign corporations than there were in the past. Corruption will exist, yes, but there are measures to stop it.

In Chile, for example, chinese companies are participating in state programs to build hospitals and roads, among other projects, and the licitation's rules are explicit in the contract. If they breached them, its reason enough to end the contract and sue, just as it would happen to any company, no matter its capitals. And we've got other institutions that are independent from the government that keep an eye on the development, like our Comptroller. If China decides to play by the rules that have been laid down, why should their offers be ignored?

At the same time, funny you speak of neocolonialism when basically all the utilities here are privatized and in hands of canadian/european/american controllers. Heck, at this point, its simply adding another country to the mix.

My issue isn't with Chinese companies, it's with the low interest loans that are functionally poison pills. You're also assuming I condone the US's neocolonialism even though I'm explicitly against it. It isn't hypocritical or funny, you come across as smug and condescending by making assumptions.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Where are those American-backed coups to install capitalist dictators when you need 'em?!
You mean like the one that happened barely a year ago in Bolivia?

www.theguardian.com

Silence reigns on the US-backed coup against Evo Morales in Bolivia | Mark Weisbrot

The Organization of American States had a key role in the destruction of the country’s democracy last November, says Mark Weisbrot of the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ain't no American with the right to be upset about this. If the US had any good intent, it would have reparations at the forefront of its policy with LatAm, but it never had any good intent so...

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Im going to be honest,i dont want to hear a single judgmental word from any american about this. Not a single one. Im not gonna blame people that are alive today for crimes of older administration,but also nothing infuriates me more than americans trying to act noble and/or condescending. My family suffered and died because of military coup they sponsored(and created, if im being even more honest).

Exactly.

And when the obvious best option for US president talks about sanctions, we know we are fucked anyway.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Certainly a better era ahead for Latin America than the one where the US was dominant and instigated all sorts of wars, coups, assassinations, massacres, etc. Hell, they're currently in the process of slapping sanctions on Germany over an energy deal any sovereign state ought to be able to make and they're an ALLY.

Biden's gonna need a little more than despacito for Latin America to bother with him.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
The US has failed Latin America for the last 80 years or so, not sure what people expected. Is China better? Probably not, but so far AFAIK they haven't had coups done in Latin American nations unless I'm wrong.

China is doing the same thing in Africa as well. Will be interesting to see how it ends up.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
China is problematic but the US has actively fucked over LatAm for decades and treated us like shit so it's way past time the region looked to strengthen other relationships.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
The US has fucked Latin America up so much, they SHOULD tell us to fuck off when China rolls on in.

will Be interesting to see how this and China's involvement in Africa pan out over the years.

Last edited:

anamika

May 18, 2018
No way the Americans are going to allow the Chinese to set up in their backyard. The coup planning must be intensifying at the CIA.

Looking at the thumbnail in the youtube video you posted, China has their big south asian enemy India surrounded on all sides. They own a port in Sri Lanka for 99 years so the south's covered and own the silk road in Pakistan occupied Kashmir up North and have contracts in Nepal and Myanmar in the east. No wonder China is land grabbing in the east from India. I doubt India can stand up to that. I think it's sort of like the Americans building their naval bases all around the world only China does it by buying up contracts for infrastructure projects. The Americans have drone diplomacy and China has vaccine diplomacy. We know which one will be more popular.

Last edited:

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
lmao, United States gov mad that someone is moving in on their perceived turf. Fuck off.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
Has Biden even said much about Latin America? He just doesn't seem to be interested, beyond green deal. I guess he might put some pressure on the countries to move to cleaner energy.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
In progress.

mmnkmZP.png

t5LMbbX.png

Not going fantastic so far.

It's cool though, we'll never let a setback stop us, onward and upward to Nicaragua!

It's "funny", but I was reading up on the Ortegas a bit and some things sounded very familiar:

"They've created a system in which the money comes out of the national budget, runs through their holdings, and all stays in their pockets," said Alfonso MalespĂ­n, a media specialist at the University of Commercial Sciences in Managua, Nicaragua's capital.
www.reuters.com

Ortega media enrich first family, squeeze rivals across Nicaragua

President Daniel Ortega controls a media empire that spreads government propaganda, enriches his family, and financially squeezes rival outlets in Nicaragua.

It's like every negative accusation is something Trump has done in some manner, has tried to do, or suggested doing lol.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
Has Biden even said much about Latin America? He just doesn't seem to be interested, beyond green deal. I guess he might put some pressure on the countries to move to cleaner energy.

There was this in that infamous civil rights leader phone call the other week

In the leaked audio, Biden goes: "By 2040, this country is going to be minority white European— you hear me? Minority white European. And you guys [Black people] are gonna have to start working more with hispanics! Who make up a LARGER portion of the population than y'all do!"

So he's aware of the refugee/immigrants coming from the region. Enough to chide black activists on why his job is hard and why they, on the low, need to know their place.

Outside of that, check his website I guess.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
There was this in that infamous civil rights leader phone call the other week

So he's aware of the refugee/immigrants coming from the region. Enough to chide black activists on why his job is hard and why they, on the low, need to know their place.

Outside of that, check his website I guess.

I was thinking of plans of economic integration or development with said countries. Of course, I have heard of the plan to regulate undocumented immigrants in America, but that's an internal affair.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's "funny", but I was reading up on the Ortegas a bit and some things sounded very familiar:
America always say we regime change countries because corruption or human rights, but it's always bullshit.
I don't need to know anything about the politics of Nicaragua (and I don't) in order to be against and American led right wing coup there. And it will be right wing coup because this is literally the only thing the US knows how to do.

PanickyFool

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
China is basically unregulated late-stage capitalism disguised as "socialism" because of their association with the USSR in the past.
An immense amount of Chinese production is controlled by representatives of the state. Do not mistake that for late stage capitalism, state actors still control the economy and have outsized influence on the "new money" that is from its new entrepreneur class.