• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
www.youtube.com

Gran Turismo 7 - Announcement Trailer | PS5

Gran Turismo™ 7 builds on 22 years of experience to bring you the best features from the history of the franchise Whether you’re a competitive racer, collect...

I thought this was interesting. Of course, this can be attributed mostly to people wanting to see next gen games. However -- looking at the positive reception, I feel that part of that is also people wanting a classic GT game again (I still think GTS is the best GT game, but fair enough).

This doesn't mean that it will translate to sales, but it points that the interest over the previous game is higher.

Side note: is this the best menu music ever made?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
This is now a thing, isn't it?

Trailer hits some arbitrary view or likes number in arbitrary time and it gets thread as "proof" of next-gen hype?

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I said this another thread but I can't believe the PS4 didn't get a numbered entry.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Ehhhhh, that just makes me sad we won't get this for launch :(

I have a PC so I will have Forza (I bet it's coming) but still...

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This is why long running japanese series will never drop their numbers, even if they have to reach 99.

Trailer hits some arbitrary view or likes number in arbitrary time and it gets thread as "proof" of next-gen hype?

Views and likes, or social interactions in general, do not translate to sales of course, but it's a good metric for how much a topic is being talked about, how much people are seeking it.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

It is a proof though. Not sure why imply otherwise with ridiculous numbers everywhere on PS5 stuff. The only question is will people be able to afford it.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
I'll be honest, YouTube grows every year so I wouldn't use that metric at all to compare old and new games.

That being said if GT Sport was able to sell 8m while underperforming, can only imagine how GT7 will do as a launch window title.

Deusmico

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i hope its not a launch title, next year with more work will be better i liked what i saw

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019

It's ALWAYS a thing. Games, movies, TV series.

Avengers Endgame trailer was the most watched trailer in history in 24h, Disney bragged about it and their marketing teams did. It's a meter that the best marketing teams in the world for hype, engagement and how that will translate to sales.
It's a trailer, the objective is to get it to as much people as possible.

It's incredible how some people still don't know how marketing works. I have a close friend who worked at Netflix before and at Xiaomi now, I trust him when he says that the numbers that Ps5 is pulling are absurd and will translate to a fuck ton of sales.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I thought it was a very strange trailer. Was really looking forward to seeing some fancy graphics with Gran Turismo. They always deliver on that.
But this trailer.. felt rushed? I don't know. I didn't feel it.

Doesn't say anything about the actual game, which I'm sure will be great.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It was a very successful event so all games are getting attention. It's one of the first games on a new console so people are obviously interested. It's also a good graphical showcase and one of the few 4K/60fps videos.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
People are thirsty for next gen...who knew.

EDIT- In context....there are allot of people with idle time at home and next gen is always a more hyped time. I get the excitement...but things are different than when gt sport released or showed its first trailer.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
More than anything I am looking forward to GT7's integration into FIA GT Academy championship for 2021. GT spectator suite is absolutely class leading and I wonder what new features PD will come up with for upcoming game.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
It's incredible how some people still don't know how marketing works. I have a close friend who worked at Netflix before and at Xiaomi now, I trust him when he says that the numbers that Ps5 is pulling are absurd and will translate to a fuck ton of sales.

I know my share about how marketing works and consumer behavior.

Just not looking towards console war bullshit this type stuff leads to here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll be honest, not really being a fan of the genre but I did purchase and play GT1, 3 and 5 so i do check them out every now and then but GT Sport seemed from the periphery like some sort of F2P vaporware. I know thats factually wrongt but it honestly felt like GT skipped a generation.

Pat002

Banned
Dec 4, 2019
I know my share about how marketing works and consumer behavior.

Just not looking towards console war bullshit this type stuff leads to here.
Oh I totally agree on that front.
But for people that don't want to console war, this is a good thread, just shows you how much Ps5 is anticipated.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
I'll be honest, not really being a fan of the genre but I did purchase and play GT1, 3 and 5 so i do check them out every now and then but GT Sport seemed from the periphery like some sort of F2P vaporware. I know thats factually wrongt but it honestly felt like GT skipped a generation.
You're not wrong. GT Sport was something they did because they needed to work into new assets and MP. You could call that GT7 Prologue. Considering what they were aiming with the game, it was a success for them.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
It isnt, Playstation channel growth like 3 million subscribers since GT Sport reveal, of course there will be more views, its such an obvious thing to see.
It grew 1 fucking million subs since Thursday. If you don't see how PS5 is setting media on fire , then I don't know what to tell you.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You're not wrong. GT Sport was something they did because they needed to work into new assets and MP. You could call that GT7 Prologue. Considering what they were aiming with the game, it was a success for them.

Obviously it hasn't affected their output and support level, its a very unique situation they find ourselves in so its hard for me to put any of my game industry sensibilities when they obviously have very much their own thing going on. These new games are really not for me so I hope their fanbase is excited.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Obviously it hasn't affected their output and support level, its a very unique situation they find ourselves in so its hard for me to put any of my game industry sensibilities when they obviously have very much their own thing going on. These new games are really not for me so I hope their fanbase is excited.
If I judge the game by the menu, Kaz reached the goal to mix "the past, present, and future" of Gran Turismo. Pretty excited about the game.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
The funny thing is that to those of us who have enjoyed Sport, 7 is the same with the GT mode back and fully modeled trees. Even the UI is exactly the same.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
It is fucking amazing what the power of perception is. I think it's why Sony was being so confusing about Miles Morales. They *really* don't want people to think of it as a "filler" release.

Dec 31, 2017
My daughter watches Minecraft videos on YouTube that have more views than that...

I think the fact that social media and platforms like YouTube get more and more popular every year with more people having access to it, bigger numbers are to be expected as well.

Oct 31, 2017
The thirst for a proper GT sequel is real. A lot of fans of GT were turned off by the lack of a proper career mode and customizations in GT. Now that we are getting a true sequel to GT6 we now have a lot of that fan interest returning. GT Sport was always a side dish now the full course meal has arrived.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Between lockdowns, and just general hunger for next gen anything, I'm not shocked. Plus, I'm sure a numbered GT entry gets some attention.

I know a lot of "traditional" GT fans didn't like GTS because of the focus on online play above all else, and the serious lack of cars or tracks at launch.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Offline racing, stockpiling 80s/90s Japanese consumer cars, souping them up, and then destroying everyone in the Sunday Cup is what I want from a GT game.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

Gamers are obsessed with those things. Dick meassuring contests with sales numbers, views, subscribers, metacritic score numbers. It's exhausting.