• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
You should either post this on Movie Details or you got it from Movie Details. No idea which is better.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
OK since people are taking that joke of mine seriously, let's play hardball.

Hammond, Gennaro and Malcolm are all in different seats when they land.

Hammond is the first to get out, and he's sitting where Malcolm was. Gennaro is sitting where Hammond was. We don't see Malcolm get out, he presumably teleported using chaos theory.

They also have the island background during the arrival going the wrong way. As filmed, Grant, Sattler and Hammond are all in the seats with their backs to the cockpit. When they land, they are in the forward facing seats. The angle of the windows on the helicopter shows they were in the forward facing seats all the time.

oEV02ti.png

With how the background is moving, these two shots should be from opposite sides of the helicopter, but they filmed through he same open door they exit from.

I absolutely love this movie and none of this should be taken in any way as me not being a huge fan.

Last edited:

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I was kind of hoping this thread would've turned into a list of examples in which certain bits of symbolism go unnoticed or something, because I wanted to point out that the same actor who plays as Alan Parrish's dad in Jumanji also plays as Van Pelt, the hunter who pursues Alan for much of the movie. You'll also notice throughout the movie that Van Pelt has a very similar personality to that of Alan's father, with Van Pelt representing Alan's challenges in dealing with his father.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit. How the fuck have I never connected that in my head before. No way that's a coincidence. Watching that movie is one of my earliest memories. I've watched it dozens of times. Fuck man.

theBmZ

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Hell yeah dude. One of the things JP is great at is reinforcing the themes in little moments like that.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Huh! That has to be one of those things where it's super obviously foreshadowing in the script but doesn't pop out as intended.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
I was kind of hoping this thread would've turned into a list of examples in which certain bits of symbolism go unnoticed or something, because I wanted to point out that the same actor who plays as Alan Parrish's dad in Jumanji also plays as Van Pelt, the hunter who pursues Alan for much of the movie. You'll also notice throughout the movie that Van Pelt has a very similar personality to that of Alan's father, with Van Pelt representing Alan's challenges in dealing with his father.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I do really like that this seemingly throwaway gag is foreshadowing of both life finding a way and the whole enterprise of Jurassic Park not being as robust as Hammond claims.

partyhat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Damn.

I watched Jurassic World 2 for the first time last night. What a dissapointment that was - even worse than the first one.

I saw JP in cinemas at the age of 8. It was amazing. I saw it again a few years ago in the cinema when the released it in 3D (the 3D effects were actually subtle and a great experience for a change). Still so amazing, and actually terrifying. I was surprised I wasn't scared to death from it as an 8 year old.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Not every blockbuster gets to be directed by an in prime Spielburg

I'm a huge Spielberg fan but this would be mainly Koepp though (as I don't think it's in the book) who is... fine...

I just think the scene functions mainly as (a) a small bit of comedy (b) to show Grant as a bit bumbling but also as someone who will just get some shit done. I'm not necessarily saying it's impossible that Koepp and Crichton included it for this effect, but to suggest it serves no other purpose in the film is pretty silly.

Anyways, I don't think it requires intent to work, so it's a bit irrelevant.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge Spielberg fan but this would be mainly Koepp though (as I don't think it's in the book) who is... fine...

I just think the scene functions mainly as (a) a small bit of comedy (b) to show Grant as a bit bumbling but also as someone who will just get some shit done. I'm not necessarily saying it's impossible that Koepp and Crichton included it for this effect, but to suggest it serves no other purpose in the film is pretty silly.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
In jurassic world, the main kids parents are getting a divorce and the lady who gets waterboarded by the pterosaurs is planning a wedding. This foreshadows that evyerthing good that colin trevorrow touches will wither and die.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017

Right. It's sole purpose wasn't foreshadowing, which is why it worked as a humorous moment.

Normally a character would say something that would slap the viewer in the face that this is foreshadowing.
Making foreshadowing an action gives it more layers and allows second viewings to be that much more enjoyable.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Right. It's sole purpose wasn't foreshadowing, which is why it worked as a humorous moment.

Normally a character would say something that would slap the viewer in the face that this is foreshadowing.
Making foreshadowing an action gives it more layers and allows second viewings to be that much more enjoyable.
Fair enough. It's some highly adept screen writing if so that I don't usually expect from David Koepp but who knows? Maybe dude has layers I don't give him credit for

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
The bit that always bothered me was the drop when the car gets pushed over the wall, always thought well how did the T-Rex get up there. Yeah, could be a slope to one side I suppose but it stood out to me.

I believe there are a bunch of diagrams that attempt to explain this haha

This is one

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

I'll be honest, I never knew it was the same guy. Feel kinda silly now...

Last edited:

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still waiting for someone to blow my mind with whatever the Lone Pine Mall revelation is.

This one is good though OP.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for someone to blow my mind with whatever the Lone Pine Mall revelation is.

This one is good though OP.

I never really thought of it as mindblowing?? But it was a cute callback to the effects Time Travel could have. At the start of the film, Marty meets Doc at the Twin Pines Mall parking lot. When the scene repeats at the end of the film, it takes place at the Lone Pine Mall - because Marty ran over a pine tree after he initially transported to 1955. Which, as it turned out, was one of the two pines that Twin Pines Mall was named after.

aJfa5Ac.jpg

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I thought I was nuts when I made this connection since I used to religiously re-watch all these movies. Went online and found out I was sane, thank God

It's a really weird moment if you don't see it through this lens when you sit down and think about it imo

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
I never really thought of it as mindblowing?? But it was a cute callback to the effects Time Travel could have. At the start of the film, Marty meets Doc at the Twin Pines Mall parking lot. When the scene repeats at the end of the film, it takes place at the Lone Pine Mall - because Marty ran over a pine tree after he initially transported to 1955. Which, as it turned out, was one of the two pines that Twin Pines Mall was named after.

aJfa5Ac.jpg

This is good stuff. Different from what the OP was going for with this thread, but this is still good and not something I noticed.