• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 23, 2017
I can't admit to have that much to add besides one that comes to mind is Banner Saga for PS1. The Fire Emblem creator and Nintendo had an acrimonious falling out at some point and he made this series for Playstation and started a new company...

PreviewPreview19:09PlayStation - Tear Ring Saga / TearRingSaga (Gameplay, Fan ...

Tear_Ring_Saga-battle_map.png

it was even originally called emblem saga. Also, very strange that this game came out on May 24, 2001.

Last edited:

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario was the sequel to Super Mario RPG that Nintendo could legally make, though it went on to be its own thing.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Obligatory examples: Bioshock from System Shock, Torchlight from Diablo, Prototype from Hulk: Ultimate Destruction, Bloodstained from Castlevania. There's tons of others, but those are undoubtedly the most well-known.

A contemporary example: Turtle Rock Studios has been clear that Back 4 Blood isn't going to just be a spiritual sequel to Left 4 Dead, but the title alone is indicative of the kind of game they're meaning to make (if you ask me).

Mar 23, 2018
I did read people saying that Prey 2017 is like the unofficial System Shock 3. Didn't play SS2 so no personal opinion here.

Would League of Legends or Heroes of Newerth qualify as Dota sequels?

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
oh that's rad. will someone who doesn't care about SAO like it lol

As a fan of SAO, I never felt like Fatal Bullet was too in your face about it. I mean, yeah...There is a lot of SAO shenanigans and play on the characters. But you can skip most if not all cut scenes in the game that I remember. It's a legit fun 3rd person ARPG with a lot of content and a bunch of fun loot hunting.

Late Flag

alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is a confusing thread, but I assume Demons Souls -> Dark Souls is the winner, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Interplay's self-published Fallout was itself the sequel to Wasteland, an IP published by EA and unable to be used by Interplay apart from EA.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory was a spiritual successor to Ghouls and Ghosts/Ghosts and Goblins

220px-Maximo_-_Ghosts_to_Glory_Coverart.png

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
[Prototype] is Hulk Ultimate Destruction 2.

Sekiro is Tenchu 5(?)

Daemon X Machina is Armored Core

BallisticNG is WipEout XL/2048-2

Deadliest Warriors is Bushido Blade 3

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
If Undertale were called Mother 4 I don't think anyone would have complained.

But yeah, Demon's Souls is the best example since both Dark Souls and Bloodborne are stealth sequels.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Minecraft to Infiniminer.

Undertale to Mother.

Stardew Valley to Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons/Rune Factory.