• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I always dug Zasalamel from the SoulCalibur franchise. He's got a fucking scythe, which is really cool.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marina (but as you said she'd definitely be with Pearl)

Mr Sandman would be my second pick. His intro video would just be his Punch-Out intro but him KOing Smash people instead

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
jacqui

tumblr_pvwh9dHVWM1qiodg3o2_540.gif

would be a great fit, and MK is the most obvious missing fighting game gap in Smash

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I really want Elma but I understand why many Black smash fans would take issue or choose someone else. I guess Marina or Rodin is the best possible pick from the current popular chars.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
In terms of realistic choices, either Doc Louis, Mr. Sandman, or Marina. Barret would be cool, but I think 2 from a single 3rd party franchise is more than enough unless they expand on 3rd party immensely in a sequel, and it'll obviously always be Cloud and Sephiroth getting priority over anyone else from that game/franchise in general if we're being honest.
In terms of who I'd like to see who obviously won't get in, let me Potemkin buster some people.
I mean the only one that is realistic of those is Marina due to the popularity of Splatoon unless they somehow decide to go for the Octolings, Punch Out is pretty niche to have another character and let's be honest Square would rather add Tifa or Aerith before Barret

Last edited:

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Im still kinda blown away that twintelle was passed over when she was the breakout character from arms.

If overwatch got a character, as much as I hate him, Doomfist would be incredibly fun to play in smash, but definitely not iconic enough I think.

In the sense of being an iconic character for a platform, I think Alyx would be great.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Im still kinda blown away that twintelle was passed over when she was the breakout character from arms.

If overwatch got a character, as much as I hate him, Doomfist would be incredibly fun to play in smash, but definitely not iconic enough I think.

In the sense of being an iconic character for a platform, I think Alyx would be great.
To be fair to Min Min, she was the only ARMS character to beat Twintelle in popularity overall & is Smash's first Chinese character, so credit where it's due. In a perfect world, we would've gotten both.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
It's a shame he is out
A) Because he is a Marvel IP
B) The game is an SIE joint
Because Miles Morales is absolutely "big" enough to warrant a spot (not that a lack of popularity should rule out any given character). His game (Not even considering SM1) outsold like 90% of IPs represented in the Smash roster.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
While it is mostly the industry's fault, to say it's entirely on them is to absolve Sakurai & Nintendo of blame.
They are part of the industry and not absolved in the slightest, and your point about Smash is spot on. Just pointing out the absurdity of 50+ years of video games with such anemic diversity.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To be fair to Min Min, she was the only ARMS character to beat Twintelle in popularity overall & is Smash's first Chinese character, so credit where it's due. In a perfect world, we would've gotten both.
Yeah that's a very good point that we got some diversity in smash, that's nothing to sneer at.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017

Doomfist's moveset would work so well in Smash. I'd love to see it.

Oct 26, 2018
I was leaning towards Elma but I love this choice. Sakurai would make them crazy fighters plus I prefer characters from unrepresented games which Elma only sorta qualifies as.

He could get fatter or buffer mid-match!
Lmaoo I almost said that too he gets stronger every few mins from punching, faster with running, etc.

May 17, 2020
The realistic answer is Marina. She was the breakout hit character from Splatoon 2, she's essentially Splatoon's Isabelle. The whole Pearl situation has an easy fix, Pearl just pops up in taunts, win screens, and the final Smash. Pearl is a different enough size and shape from Marina that any sort of duo character system is probably unlikely to happen, and Pearl is less popular anyway, so I don't see why kicking her out of the main moveset is a non-starter.

In terms of other characters I'm going to support:
I always dug Zasalamel from the SoulCalibur franchise. He's got a fucking scythe, which is really cool.
Would never be added, but Califia from Code Name STEAM. She was battling for the spot of MVP for the game, and unlike Twintelle and Elma, her voice actress is black.

latest

Califa would be a funny choice, because she is ultimately from a literary source.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
This thread just made me realize how there aren't actually any iconic black video game characters.

I'm actually drawing a blank on if we even have a series where the recurring lead/main characters is black.

I'm going to shoutout Anthony Higgs like I always do though, I genuinely like him.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Twintelle and Marina. If we extend it to other people of colour, then I'd also suggest Urbosa and Elma (I know about the latter's problematic spoilers). Four fantastic first-party female characters.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
Twintelle would have been a good choice but I don't blame them for picking Min Min. I'm just glad it wasn't someone lame like Spring Man.

In terms of the question my choice would be Rodin. The Bayonetta series could use a new rep with the third game coming out and he's pretty cool.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Are you telling me there has never been a single black character in Smash? In its whole 20 year history?

That's pretty pathetic on Nintendo's part.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Twintelle was probably the best pick they could have gone with given she was pretty clearly the most popular Arms character from what I understand, but I could see Doc Louis or Marina if they wanted to choose a character from another Nintendo property.

Barret is probably out because I doubt Nintendo would triple dip into FFVII, but again, I think that pick would work pretty well in Smash. A character like Lucio from Overwatch could be interesting, but I think his moveset focusing on healing wouldn't really mesh well with Smash.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Main character? no, but supporting? Yes
I think Twintelle was probably the best pick they could have gone with given she was pretty clearly the most popular Arms character from what I understand, but I could see Doc Louis or Marina if they wanted to choose a character from another Nintendo property.

Barret is probably out because I doubt Nintendo would triple dip into FFVII, but again, I think that pick would work pretty well in Smash. A character like Lucio from Overwatch could be interesting, but I think his moveset focusing on healing wouldn't really mesh well with Smash.

The funny thing is if smash bros actually included another FF7 character it would 100% be Tifa.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
She wasn't. They had an in game popularity poll tournament, and Min Min won. Twintelle is most likely the most popular in the west though.
Quick correction as someone who's put around 200 hours into ARMS, the Party Crash Bash wasn't purely a popularity contest. If it was, it would imply that Springtron is more popular than Spring Man, which we know isn't true. It's more like Splatfests in that it was equal parts skill.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Are you telling me there has never been a single black character in Smash? In its whole 20 year history?

That's pretty pathetic on Nintendo's part.
When you see the choices people give here is less about Nintendo being pathetic and more than the gaming industry sucks at giving the spotlight to black characters or making them main characters especially since all of Nintendo choices appear to be either "iconic" or "advertisement" due to Smash way of adding characters

Last edited:
OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Its beyond pathetic.. especially when the spirits mode had some straight up racist ass depictions of black characters being represented by Donkey Kong characters.
As I mentioned in the other Smash threads, my biggest fear for Kazuya is that we may end up with another racist stereotype if there's an Eddy Gordo spirit battle.

When you see the choices people give here is less about Nintendo being pathetic and more than the gaming industry sucks at giving the spotlight to black characters or making them main characters especially since Nintendo choices appear to be either "iconic" or "advertisement"
Considering that there's legit harmful anti-Black content in Smash, I'd say it's a bit of both.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I always thought Doc Louis would be fun, especially since he could be a kind of Falco/Isabelle clone of Little Mac that hits harder and also has his bike.

Twintelle or Marina would be great too. I imagine one of them is a shoo in for the next game (if Marina isn't the last DLC character).

Doomfist's moveset would work so well in Smash. I'd love to see it.

Zasalamel would be ridiculously fun to play as in Smash.

Doomfist is probably unlikely to get in as an Overwatch rep EXCEPT for the fact he probably has the easiest to covert move set in the game.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Doomfist is probably unlikely to get in as an Overwatch rep EXCEPT for the fact he probably has the easiest to covert move set in the game.
My reservations regarding an ActiBlizz rep aside, Doomfist's best chance was Jeff Kaplan, but he left the company. If Sojourn is the face of Overwatch 2, she may have a shot. But even then, Tracer is the OG (much like Kazuya).

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First party:
Twintelle
Marina
Mr. Sandman
Ken Griffey Jr.

Third party:
Barret (FFVII)
Elena (SF)
Sgt. Avery Johnson (Halo)
Clementine (Walking Dead)

May 17, 2020
If it was, it would imply that Springtron is more popular than Spring Man, which we know isn't true.

I was wondering what your source was on this? I couldn't find much actual use data comparing Springman and Springtron. I did see that Springtron won their competition by about 8%, which was a wider margin than most of the character competition (not the widest, but in the wider half of win margins). Combine that with the two apparently being similar in terms of tier ranking (again, not positive on this) and I'd probably lean towards Springtron being more popular.

However, I will note that I did not play a lot of Arms, so I'm no expert on this. If you could provide some more information I'd greatly appreciate it.