• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which of the two fast-food burger joints do you think is the better one?

• Whataburger

Votes: 179 44.8%
  • In-N-Out

Votes: 221 55.3%

• Total voters

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I've been to all of them several times. Have lived in the midwest, on the east coast, and the west coast.

In N Out >> Shake Shack >>Five Guys >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Habit/SmashBurger/BurgerFi/Culvers/SteakNShake/Winsteads/Freddys >>>Whalburger/Wendys/McDs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Burger King/Whataburger

I think BK and Whataburger are legit trash. I'd rather go hungry. Everything else is at least enjoyable on a good day with fresh food when you're in the mood. I've been to Whataburger 3 times, at three dif't locations, and finally by the third try I honest to goodness think its a meme.

For less of a hot take, I can totally understand anyone taking those first three - INO, SS, FG - and putting them in any order they like. All three are legit delicious. I'm 100% happy at any of them, but would always prefer INO given the choice. Bonus points that INO is also one of the most affordable.

Last edited:

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Okay. Do you value beef patties that arent frozen? Also, price should also be the basis for comparison.

Not true. Which place makes a better burger? We can consider price when actually going for dinner. You can tell me one place makes better food than the other, and then after consider options based on price.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
In & Out.

It's the perfect fast food burger. A simple menu with simple burgers, made with quality ingredients. Price for quality can't be beat, either. The way they toast their buns is perfect.

Animal style cheeseburger with well-done, extra salty fries. I used to like animal style fries but they're too heavy for me now.

Kelsdesu

Oct 25, 2017
Not true. Which place makes a better burger? We can consider price when actually going for dinner. You can tell me one place makes better food than the other, and then after consider options based on price.
If one place is more a sit down gourmet experience and one is a fast food chain; you most definitely can start there.

Oct 27, 2017
Having heard good things about Whataburger I made a trip in Texas and it reminded me of Burger King. The only place to really fuck with In N Out is Culver's Butterburgers. They're comparable price wise and both have drive thrus for quick service. Shake Shack is a better meal than In N Out but it damn well better be at the price and lack of convenience.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
If one place is more a sit down gourmet experience and one is a fast food chain; you most definitely can start there.

Right. As for the two places being compared right now that doesn't actually matter.
So removing cost which place makes better food?

Having heard good things about Whataburger I made a trip in Texas and it reminded me of Burger King. The only place to really fuck with In N Out is Culver's Butterburgers. They're comparable price wise and both have drive thrus for quick service. Shake Shack is a better meal than In N Out but it damn well better be at the price and lack of convenience.

Perfect example.

Last edited:

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Whataburger, no question. I live 3 minutes away from an in n out in Katy and I drive right past that sucker to get whataburger 10 minutes away on the regular.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's Whataburger. The 24 hour service and spicy ketchup is a bonus.

You best believe when my town gets there's next spring I'll be there a lot. No more late night trips to other towns with friends to get a good burger.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're two different things in my mind. In-N-Out is the best cheap burger around, period. It's actually tasty, I'd say it's quality as fast food burgers go, but it still falls in my mind closer to McDonalds, if that makes sense. Whataburger is still fast food, but falls closer to a sit down restaurant along with the higher quality that brings to mind. I'll say In-N-Out seems to better care for its employees, though.

Oh and Spicy Ketchup is super OP in the fight

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Being from Austin and trying In-n-out several times with the "GOATED Menu"... it just don't slap. I've had friends move the goal posts from the "Recommend menu" to "California has better taste".

So for me, i'd give it to whataburger.

Though the best place: Shake Shack

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
1. Shake Shack
2. Culver's
3. The Habit
4. In-n-out
5. Damn near everywhere else that sells burgers
6. Literal Doo Doo water
7. Whataburger

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I liked the chicken sandwich at Whataburger better than their burgers.

Y'all get you some Freddy's Steakburgers.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I visited a Whataburger for the first time in Texas when I was there earlier this year. I didn't understand the fuss. It was like a Burger King.

In-N-Out still tops. But their fries suck.

Oct 31, 2017
I think Whataburger's quality must vary quite a bit by location, because there's one not too far from where I live and I think it's pretty good for 24 hour fast food burgers/breakfast. I haven't tried their breakfast, but I'd like to at some point. I do think it's fair to compare it to both McDs and BK, but I'd say the one near me is like if two extremely well managed versions of those restaurants combined.

Their apple pies and cinnamon rolls are also pretty good too, same with the shakes.

I'd definitely like to try both In-N-Out and Shake Shack for sure. Had some BurgerIM not long ago and it was pretty good too for a chain that's growing.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017
I would compare Carls Jr to Five guys and shake shack on price alone.

Remember when the Carl's Jr (Hardee's) 6 dollar burger was called a 6 dollar burger because it tasted like a $6 burger at like 2/3 the price. I don't even think they call it a 6 dollar burger anymore because the actual price has exceeded $6.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
whataburger has higher highs

i like in-n-out, it's good, but honestly it was built up so much i felt a little let down

there's a little roadside drive-in in my hometown that's better than both, same prices

True Underdog

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
In-N-Out is good. Whataburger is better.

Ate plenty of both when I lived in Dallas.

Now I have neither in Seattle but a bag of Dick's is also good.

Edit: the Whataburger at DFW airport makes me sad though.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Yall need to stop comparing In N Out to non fast food places. Shake Shack is not a fast food place, five Guys in not a fast food place.

THANK YOU. Every time In-N Out is mentioned on here there's a rush of" it's bad" / " it's trash".It's clearly not , it's pretty much entered legendary status fast food wise for how beloved it is for the quality in relation to the price and how fewer locations there are vs. other chains.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Tried had Whataburger once many years ago living in TX, didn't leave any impressions except that the burger had lots of mustard.

Have tried In n out when visiting where I lived in Texas because they just opened up then. Pretty much loved it. Both times I got a double double animal style.

Both Shake Shack and Five Guys are superior but fetches premium prices.

LuxCommander

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Whataburger by a country mile. Haven't had one in over a year and it kills me that I probably won't be able to get one for another three months. Easily the fast food joint I miss the most coming from Texas to SoCal. The menu also has options and fries that don't require doctoring to hide how bland they are.

That all being said, I can confirm that In-N-Out is indeed legit better in SoCal than the rest of the country. It just comes down to quality control. It has become my go-to when I just need a tasty burger.

Also, if I'm in Austin, the GOAT of cheap fast food burgers is P.Terry's, king of the quality to price ratio. Also has killer fries. Think well done fries at In-N-Out, but with actual flavor.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I would give the win to whataburger easily, especially if you take in their full menu.
I haven't been to one in years at this point, but the all-day breakfast menu was absolute fire back in the day.

The true king for that tier of burger chains is actually Backyard Burger but those are extremely rare everywhere except like Georgia.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
In-N-Out has the better burger, but Whataburger's variety helps it win out (that and In-N-Out has bottom tier fries without the animal style).

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no clue but I am a bit disappointed that Five Guys is allegedly better because it's the only one I could try here in Germany.

I mean it's good but nothing more.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I would give the win to whataburger easily, especially if you take in their full menu.
I haven't been to one in years at this point, but the all-day breakfast menu was absolute fire back in the day.

The true king for that tier of burger chains is actually Backyard Burger but those are extremely rare everywhere except like Georgia.
Their Breakfast Burger is actually pretty good.

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
Is Five Guys different in the US? Every Five Guys I've been to in the UK serves the greasiest burgers I've ever eaten. It's nauseatingly greasy.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Some of these votes for In-and-Out must not have eaten Whataburger. I've had both and it's no contest, as much as I love In-and-Out.

ReturnOfThaMack88

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2020
Anybody who doesn't think in n out is the best thing ever, needs to try a double double animal style with no lettuce no tomato and no pickles. With extra grilled onions. I can eat 3 at a time.

Whataburger to me was like eating at Wendy's. It was not good/

FLEABttn

Oct 25, 2017
Texas can try and argue that Whataburger is better (it's not but) when they stop calling it Waterburger.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
I suspect a lot of folks who think Whataburger is bad is because they ordered a standard Whataburger and not one of the all time favorites. The standard is so incredibly boring when compared to in and outs. But those who have the inclination to try again should order either the sweet and spicy bacon burger or the patty melt.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I live in Houston so I have Whataburger several times a year. About 5 years ago I ate at In-N-Out while I was in Las Vegas. To me the regular cheese burger from In-N-Out and Whataburger taste exactly the same. In-N-Out had much worse french fries though. I haven't ever tried the In-n-out fries animal style though.