• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.nytimes.com

How Alvin the Beagle Helped Usher In a Democratic Senate (Published 2021)

Senator Raphael Warnock was sworn in this week as Georgia’s first Black senator, and he arrived with a canny canine assist.

The dog had a lot of work to do.

He was co-starring in a political ad that had to showcase the candidate's good-natured warmth. But the ad also needed to deflect an onslaught of racialized attacks without engaging them directly, and to convey to white voters in Georgia that the Black pastor who led Ebenezer Baptist Church could represent them, too.

"The entire ad screams that I am a Black candidate whom white people ought not be afraid of," said Hakeem Jefferson, a professor of political science at Stanford, who studies race, stigma and politics in America.

"The puppy ad got people talking," said Brian C. Robinson, a Georgia-based Republican strategist. "It made it harder to caricature him because they humanized him."

I have to chuckle, cause y'all just don't know the ads they were hammering Warnock with. They stopped just short of "jazz cigurettes" and "he going to rape white woman y'all". Not only the tone of them but they were on constantly, like you could watch an hour long show and the only ads you get were poltical ones. And it was worse on streaming, I stopped using pluto tv for 2 months because it was so bad.

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
the ads were ridiculous

anti loeffler ad: She lied, endangered lives, and manipulated stocks
anti warnock ad: he's a BLACK man who LIVED while BLACK

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Well, white people do care about dogs more than they do black people. It was a smart decision.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Screenshot-2018-09-21-16.11.36-1024x575.png

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
I hope you guys put some of Loeffler's ads and Warnock's ads (except for the two puppy ones since they're in that article) here for comparison. I don't live in Georgia so I have no idea what political ads that Georgians were seeing on TV.

Dec 31, 2017
Well, white people do care about dogs more than they do black people. It was a smart decision.

I know you're joking to some extent, but I remember an old thread (either here or on GAF) where there was a significant amount of people who said they would save their dog rather than another human they didn't know. I understood that dogs are part of the family but it seemed strange to me how fervent the defense was.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...Is this really a constant thing to Black Americans?

Just like, the idea that a Republican can openly smear you using racist dogwhistles, treating you like some kind of animal, and enough white people will nod their heads and it's on you to prove them wrong?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
That was a great ad. Comparing her ads and beliefs to a bag full of shit that he was tossing away was great imagery.

Zache

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Every once in a while I'm reminded of that white couple that committed murder-suicide with their 6 adopted black children but made sure their fucking dogs were well taken care of first.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I know you're joking to some extent, but I remember an old thread (either here or on GAF) where there was a significant amount of people who said they would save their dog rather than another human they didn't know. I understood that dogs are part of the family but it seemed strange to me how fervent the defense was.
I wasn't joking all that much. I bet you a dollar if you polled white people their affinity and empathy towards dogs would be higher than it is for Black people, easily. Hell, just go on gaming side and find any video game where you might have to shoot a dog as an actual matter of self-preservation. Got people tripping over themselves to justify how that's a heinous breach of ethics but it's a fucking debate about Resident Evil 5.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Every once in a while I'm reminded of that white couple that committed murder-suicide with their 6 adopted black children but made sure their fucking dogs were well taken care of first.
I didn't even know that they had dogs, much less put them up in a good situation. While it doesn't surprise me, I wish I hadn't read about that. Gonna ironically go buy some dog food. xP

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That thread was here.

We also had that thread a few weeks ago with people literally shaming others for not wanting to fight a shark to save a turtle.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
It's sad that's what takes, but it's a pretty effective, that's a ridiculously cute dog and I don't see how anyone can look anything but friendly next to it.

Nepenthe

Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
With Biden I'll have you know I care more about Champ and Major more than him!

Don't encourage him to break anything else, please
Biden's doing good shit so far. I'm good........................................ FOR NOW.

It's still hilarious how the ads are basically just fuel for progressives to go and vote for him. Like holy shit if Daddy Warnock said we can't be free until capitalism is dismantled then I'll find a way to vote for him twice.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised loeffler didn't respond with an ad featuring her feeding a goat to a komodo dragon.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
If it helps, it certainly ain't just Baptist

Early service is the only service that can theoretically end on time, because they gotta start the 10 am service

I've gone into deeper reasons why I quit attending church, but the joke reasons were I got tired of having to choose waking up at the crack ass of dawn on a weekend or starving myself through lunch.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
...Is this really a constant thing to Black Americans?

Just like, the idea that a Republican can openly smear you using racist dogwhistles, treating you like some kind of animal, and enough white people will nod their heads and it's on you to prove them wrong?
yes.

Black people have to prove themselves constantly. Black women can't be expressive or they are "Angry black women". Black men have for years done their best to appear as non-threatening to white people. It gets old.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's still hilarious how the ads are basically just fuel for progressives to go and vote for him. Like holy shit if Daddy Warnock said we can't be free until capitalism is dismantled then I'll find a way to vote for him twice.
oh definitely. When he was saying Palestinian Lives Matter, I was like "hell yeah Warnock". But it's so crazy how the add is framed to make him appear so evil.