• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Can I create Dreams and only share them with my friends, or will they be accessible to the community instantly?

Kind of want to create a playground for my own creations that I don't yet have a firm copyright on, mostly for myself and for friends to check them out. Is that possible?

KyngKee

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if any plans for this to get remade for PS5 or just BC support? This game came out really late in the generation and with PS5 releasing this year it seems to make sense. Regardless I think I'm going to pull the plug and buy it. Is there a website with the best creations so far? I'm not that creative so I'll probably never create anything and just looking forward to trying other peoples creations...

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Do we know if any plans for this to get remade for PS5 or just BC support? This game came out really late in the generation and with PS5 releasing this year it seems to make sense. Regardless I think I'm going to pull the plug and buy it. Is there a website with the best creations so far? I'm not that creative so I'll probably never create anything and just looking forward to trying other peoples creations...
It is confirmed that Dreams will also get a release for the PS5. But I wouldn't wait for that. You are missing out.

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
it's basically a game engine so you can do all the stuff you can do with game engines. who knew?

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Can I create Dreams and only share them with my friends, or will they be accessible to the community instantly?

Kind of want to create a playground for my own creations that I don't yet have a firm copyright on, mostly for myself and for friends to check them out. Is that possible?

Yeah, you can do that.

Katonix

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (1 week): Platform wars, prior infractions for similar behaviour
Its sad that such a marvel belongs to old cunts like Sony people who don't understand anything except monopoly and being assholes. The only way you can exprience this is to buy an almost decade old console. Its 2020 ffs stop this bs.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Its sad that such a marvel belongs to old cunts like Sony people who don't understand anything except monopoly and being assholes. The only way you can exprience this is to buy an almost decade old console. Its 2020 ffs stop this bs.

Port begging is usually less obnoxious and rude...

If it weren't for 'old cunts like Sony' Dreams wouldn't exist.

Ultimately Dreams will be on PlayStation 5. It may also end up on other platforms.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like an avatar quote is needed here for this cringe post....

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
As far as we have been told, Dreams also does input and simulation at 30hz, even if you are hitting 60 on the pro. So that will make it feel different as well.
I wonder if the 'PS5 port' (patch?) is simply just Dreams as today with a few tweaks such as:
  • input & simulation at 60hz (will this break creations?)
  • some hardware ray-tracing aspects applied to speed up SDF ray-marching checks(?)
  • better LOD resolve, resolution and VRR.
With the creation 'budget' (memory usage) and potentially a VR-profiler(?) staying fixed with PS4 limitations in mind.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt many other publishers would have given a developer six years to work on a game like this.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018

thanks for the cringe.....i can probably make the below in Dreams too....out now exclusively on the PS4™ :P

tenor.gif

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the 'PS5 port' (patch?) is simply just Dreams as today with a few tweaks such as:
  • some hardware ray-tracing aspects applied to speed up SDF ray-marching checks(?)
With the creation 'budget' (memory usage) and potentially a VR-profiler(?) staying fixed with PS4 limitations in mind.

I think it would be a real shame, long term especially, if Dreams was always restricted by the base PS4. I'd prefer if they trusted creators to choose whether to be restricted by the PS4 thermos or PS5. Changing the simulation rate would cause BC issues with anything that relied heavily on determinism. I'm fairly sure they don't do real-time ray marching except when you are actually sculpting. I wonder whether they could use that tech to achieve genuine reflections though.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
I think it would be a real shame, long term especially, if Dreams was always restricted by the base PS4. I'd prefer if they trusted creators to choose whether to be restricted by the PS4 thermos or PS5.
I think there's a transition time in this regard. The most valuable resource for Dreams is the number of (good)creators & size of audience. They could add 'PS5 only' options & filters maybe a year after the console drops.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's a transition time in this regard. The most valuable resource for Dreams is the number of (good)creators & size of audience. They could add 'PS5 only' options & filters maybe a year after the console drops.

Yeah that would be sensible, though I think you'd want to facilitate creation if not publishing based on the PS5 thermo straight away.

Darkonda

May 23, 2018
So in the future it's possible that a team of players can make AAA type games in Dreams?

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Jun 26, 2018
To answer the title question, online multiplayer is not possible currently, local multiplayer is, but it's a bit of a hassle to setup (not quite pickup'n'play, every user needs to be logged into PSN)

I'm curious, how would ERA classify people who makes games in Dreams? Indie? or Hobbyist?

tr1b0re

Oct 17, 2018
Trinidad and Tobago
As tempting as it is, I'm gonna wait for the PS5 version to really dive into Dreams

But boi I am gonna make so much stupid shit (that I hope others use to make actually good shit)

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah I'm thinking they may keep limits of the PS4 for a while, but up the visuals a bit like full raytracing, etc. I'm hoping they do open up for the full limits of the PS5 eventually because the creations people could make with just even double the thermo would be amazing.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
The only games that can't be made is MMO.

"You can make 100 levels in a map, each with 100 levels, and you can put 100 of those in 100 maps. So you can make a level with 100 to the power of 4, which is 100,000,000 levels long."

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
One of the creators who was involved with many of the oldest creations, as well as the Fallout 4 dreams edition (pipboy logic, mainly) shared a level with me that they are working on so I could preview.

It's super early but the damn thing has weather and time of day transitions! Pretty crazy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
One of the creators who was involved with many of the oldest creations, as well as the Fallout 4 dreams edition (pipboy logic, mainly) shared a level with me that they are working on so I could preview.

It's super early but the damn thing has weather and time of day transitions! Pretty crazy.

Looks great, I guess other people don't have the opportunity to test it already I assume?

Deleted member 31133

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
But can I create Dreams in Dreams?

Yes. Well that's what I plan to do anyway.

Sometimes I have the most intense and exciting dreams with production levels that put the biggest Hollywood blockbuster to shame. I've always thought of how cool it would be to record these dreams and relive those experiences. Now, thanks to Dreams, I can do that!

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I'm legit starting to form a backlog of games in Dreams. Even when some creations are unbeatable or not finished, there's still much to explore and appreciate. It's crazy to think that I was a hater only a week ago and now I totally get it. Just wish they had used an original character for this creation.

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
I'm legit starting to form a backlog of games in Dreams. Even when some creations are unbeatable or not finished, there's still much to explore and appreciate. It's crazy to think that I was a hater only a week ago and now I totally get it. Just wish they had used an original character for this creation.
What did you actually hate about Dreams? Just curious.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, map sizes and amount of objects seem to be huge. I was just exploring the entirety of Minas Tirith like it was seen in the TLotR movies. Fantastic experience:

49547916178_efcedbf528_o.png

49548417871_6e19b982b4_o.png

49548644117_fcd12a7096_o.png

49548418486_8e6ef9bc12_o.png

49548418611_6da69840f4_o.png

49547916398_15c1683999_o.png

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
Alright the artsy stuff in Dreams is killer. Like, Minecraft is impressive but its so limited in the blockiness.

I really think in order for this to be huge, it needs to be on PC though. It'd open up the community in insane ways. Throw in VR, and it could be an amazing killer app for PS5, especially with the stronger console. I'll be getting this just to explore the worlds of my favourite media. I hope this game has a long future

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
What did you actually hate about Dreams? Just curious.
I didn't genuinely hate-hate anything but I was ticked off that it wasn't another LBP or Tearaway. I looked at it as this inaccessible software that would mostly be YouTube material for people's janky Spiderman (or whatever) levels. I mean, there's the crazy stuff like that Fallout creation but dream surfing for just an hour revealed this whole weird mini-world where people can express themselves in a variety of art/game fields that aren't normally accessible without school, workplace experience, connections, luck etc. In a few days, I've found myself able to do things with no PC software experience or programming knowledge.

Basically, I thought MM was wasting their time on something few people could use with no entertainment value but I was definitely wrong.

OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
Yeah, map sizes and amount of objects seem to be huge. I was just exploring the entirety of Minas Tirith like it was seen in the TLotR movies. Fantastic experience:

49547916178_efcedbf528_o.png

49548417871_6e19b982b4_o.png
This looks so so so good. Is it actually possible to download this creation and use it in your own game? Imagine someone using this to recreate the giant battle from LotR :o
I didn't genuinely hate-hate anything but I was ticked off that it wasn't another LBP or Tearaway. I looked at it as this inaccessible software that would mostly be YouTube material for people's janky Spiderman (or whatever) levels. I mean, there's the crazy stuff like that Fallout creation but dream surfing for just an hour revealed this whole weird mini-world where people can express themselves in a variety of art/game fields that aren't normally accessible without school, workplace experience, connections, luck etc. In a few days, I've found myself able to do things with no PC software experience or programming knowledge.

Basically, I thought MM was wasting their time on something few people could use with no entertainment value but I was definitely wrong.
This absolutely is so much more as LittleBigPlanet, I for one have actually the feeling now that I can create something truly great. Only a pity that the sales numbers right now are much much worse as the LBP-games.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP
OP
Kingsora

Kingsora

May 19, 2018
No.

Yes it is! Depending on the author of that model/level. Someone could edit it, use it, etc.
Yes I know, I was asking it for this level in particular. This just screams a LotR fight. Though it's probably incredibly difficult to create with the thermometer limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.