• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Experience Design.
  • very in demand for the foreseeable future
  • Great pay
  • Applicable in many different fields and industries
  • Jobs often let you pick your own hours and allow for great work life balance
  • Freelance positions also in demand
As a Software Engineer/Web dev. How do I transition more to this or find jobs in this field? Its definitely the part of software engineering I've enjoyed most when dealing with clients. It's far more rewarding than building the sites myself.

Oct 28, 2017
In the future? When more universities start offering courses specifically in the area, probably Human Factors and Ergonomics - essentially applied psychology and sociology in engineering contexts. Public transport, aviation, defence (both government and contracting) all employ human factors teams in vast quantities. Currently the field consists of people who have sort of just floated into the area as a result of experience and career trajectory but there is something of a push to establish a coherent educational basis for HF.

Also, this might be out of left field but a degree in International Relations (specifically a Masters from a good university) is extremely marketable at the moment, particularly when paired with strong financial literacy, due to the rapid growth of political risk and due diligence analysis in both dedicated firms (Eurasia Group, IHS, Control Risks etc) as well as in major banks and consultancies (Citi, Deloitte, KPMG, etc).

Last edited:

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017

It really isn't. In Australia tradies can easily be on sex figure salaries, zero debt, and have their education paid for. I've heard of carpet layers on $4000 a week. It's very hard work on your body but they earn so much they can retire early or run their own business with younger staff doing the heavy lifting.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
It's not totally useless it just won't take you that far. You can get a decent lab tech job or environmental job for maybe 40-45k out of College. Not as good as other stem degrees though.
My wife's experience was that most places wouldn't take her in without MLT certification, which you aren't eligible to stand for unless you graduated from an ASCP accredited program (Well, there's a couple of other paths, but none of them apply to her).

So now she's in a two-year program at our closest Community College, just so she'll be eligible to be certified as an MLT. And since she already has a BS in Biology, hopefully she'll be grandfathered into MLS with a couple of years of experience as an MLT.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really isn't. In Australia tradies can easily be on sex figure salaries, zero debt, and have their education paid for. I've heard of carpet layers on $4000 a week. It's very hard work on your body but they earn so much they can retire early or run their own business with younger staff doing the heavy lifting.

An office job as an engineer also gets you 6 figures, tons of benefits, vacation time, opportunity to grow and you can actually enjoy your life as you age instead of destroying your body in your 20s. Trades are harsh and will ruin your body, theres a reason people avoid them.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
My wife's experience was that most places wouldn't take her in without MLT certification, which you aren't eligible to stand for unless you graduated from an ASCP accredited program (Well, there's a couple of other paths, but none of them apply to her).

So now she's in a two-year program at our closest Community College, just so she'll be eligible to be certified as an MLT. And since she already has a BS in Biology, hopefully she'll be grandfathered into MLS with a couple of years of experience as an MLT.
Was she trying to work in a medical lab?

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
An office job as an engineer also gets you 6 figures, tons of benefits, vacation time, opportunity to grow and you can actually enjoy your life as you age instead of destroying your body in your 20s. Trades are harsh and will ruin your body, theres a reason people avoid them.
I mean, I get all that working in trades.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Was she trying to work in a medical lab?
She applied to anything with "lab tech" in the description. Most required MLT certification and didn't get back to her; a couple led to job interviews that didn't lead to a job offer. We're in MD, right between Baltimore and DC, if that makes a difference.

In the end we decided it'd be a good investment for her to just go through the two year program. A lot of her classmates seemed to have gone the same route as her. Thankfully, I make enough money and it's inexpensive enough that I can comfortably cover her tuition (averages out to about $300/mo). Helps that the Community College seems to be one of the better Community Colleges nearby. Very well funded and adequately rigorous.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was in no way awful advice. Taking up a trade rather than taking on a mountain of student debt is a completely viable route to take in life.

Yep, and I never said it wasn't. The original advice was to skip college and go into trade. I said it was awful advice because it is, if that's your face value advice.

Do you like working in jobs that are considered trade? Are you a very hands on person and love making hella money? Trade jobs bruh. All day.

But do you also want a piece of paper that opens tons of doors for you as well? College, bruh. All day.

And yeah, I sympathize with plenty of people who went to school and have tons of debt. But I also know that plenty of them would rather be where they are now with that debt than doing something else they aren't passion about it.

Both roads are viable. Going to college doesn't automatically guarantee you a shit load of debt. Trade jobs aren't always going to guarantee you an enjoyable life just because you make 4000 a month.

See above. I'm not shit talking trade jobs, I'm shit talking the surface level advice with no nuance added to it.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A TESOL certificate (which you can get from a few weeks of training) plus any reputable bachelor's degree is generally all you need to teach English overseas in countries full of people trying to learn English (aka pretty much every country that doesn't have English as the main language). Typically good pay (varies from country to country) and a good way to see the world. It's a good way to make a living while working on another goal (like writing novels or getting a Master's degree online), while others just like it and do it permanently (possibly opening or running their own English school).

This is what I'm doing. The pay is fucking crazy.

In South Korea, I have a friend who is taught on a one year contract, was paid $45K a year, had housing and lunch paid for, was a 5 min walk to work, and since its Korea with its incredible transport system, nothing was ever too far. She paid off $15K worth of student debt with that.

I'm going to get my degree in English or Technical Writing, take my TEFL, and be off.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
What office engineering job is getting you 6 figures out of college?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Yep, and I never said it wasn't. The original advice was to skip college and go into trade. I said it was awful advice because it is, if that's your face value advice.

Do you like working in jobs that are considered trade? Are you a very hands on person and love making hella money? Trade jobs bruh. All day.

But do you also want a piece of paper that opens tons of doors for you as well? College, bruh. All day.

And yeah, I sympathize with plenty of people who went to school and have tons of debt. But I also know that plenty of them would rather be where they are now with that debt than doing something else they aren't passion about it.

Both roads are viable. Going to college doesn't automatically guarantee you a shit load of debt. Trade jobs aren't always going to guarantee you an enjoyable life just because you make 4000 a month.

See above. I'm not shit talking trade jobs, I'm shit talking the surface level advice with no nuance added to it.
A red seal arguably opens way more doors than almost all college degrees.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Some kids aren't really cut out for college, and that's ok. You can get to journeyman wages 5-6 years time if you're a union tradesman. In Chicago, carpentry will get you just under $50 an hour. Get your foot in the door at a large GC and you're basically guaranteed 40 hours every week. Tradesmen also get paid weekly. You could be a journeyman tradesman grossing just under $2k per week at the age of 24. Being in the union will get you health coverage and you can earn pension credits for retirement.

Let's say you're one of the smarter guys on the job. Oh hey, you'd make a great Foreman or Project Manager. Enjoy that bumped up wage scale and less physical labor.

Seriously ... the trades offer an incredible route for young guys who aren't book smart that would only use college as an opportunity to take on a massive loan with nothing to show for it.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
There's actually very few undergraduate opportunities, but I highly recommend Arts Administration/Cultural Management/Museum Studies for any one wanting to work in the arts but not as an artist.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I think it would be more helpful to let them know college isn't the only option available. Trade schools and technical programs are a viable and sometimes more readily lucrative field. People think if they don't do a 4 year college they will be destitute losers.

subrock

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
User Experience Design.
  • very in demand for the foreseeable future
  • Great pay
  • Applicable in many different fields and industries
  • Jobs often let you pick your own hours and allow for great work life balance
  • Freelance positions also in demand
Seconding this. UX designers/researchers are in demand and it's a very poorly understood profession

Oct 25, 2017
The trades can be good for a paycheck, but are often hard on the body. The welders at my job all look about 5 to 10 years older than their actual age.

Yeah, my step dad installed A/V systems in houses and dudes knees are fucked because of it. You can make good money with trades, but it's hard work and it's rough on your body.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Well I'd settle for a lab tech or environmental job if I could get one. I've been out of college for 3 years and my degree hasn't gotten me a single interview anywhere where it's required.

Even worse I figured a bachelor's degree would be fine in Bio at the time so I didn't take school as seriously as I should have and as a result I dont have good enough grades to get into a masters program even if I wanted to try.

5 years and 50000 later and this piece of paper is about as useful as toilet paper. I totally fucked myself and wasted a good portion of my 20s on nothing.

I got pretty lucky with my biology degree but I totally fell backwards into things and in the 15 years since I've been out of school I've never used a single thing that I learned in college. My degree probably helped a little getting my first couple of jobs but they were short term contract jobs (I didn't have any luck getting into a standard lab, they all wanted specific experience on equipment that I never used in college) so they weren't exactly career builders. I definitely thought I would have an easy time finding just a lab tech job out of college and that wasn't the case at all.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Something that high schoolers should be taught more about is community college. Some people look down at it like it's for people that can't get into a "real" college, but it's a crazy great way to save thousands. There are some downsides to attending, like how it's much harder to transfer to a 4-year that's out-of-state, but in-state 4-years usually have an agreement with the state's community colleges that makes it easy af to get accepted/transfer credits.

For context, I don't have the exact number yet, but I'm fairly certain that I will only owe $40k after I graduate, with a bachelor's in CS (community college + 4-year).

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
What office engineering job is getting you 6 figures out of college?
Software Engineers in places like CA, NYC, Austin, Seattle, etc. I made $89k as a Computer Engineer straight out of college in MD. Easily over 6 figures in total compensation. My favorite: 200% 401(k) matching up to 8% of salary, plus 2.5% non-matching base contribution. Essentially, I put in 4%, they put in 12.5%. They also paid for my Master's, and gave me a raise when I finished it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Something that high schoolers should be taught more about is community college. Some people look down at it like it's for people that can't get into a "real" college, but it's a crazy great way to save thousands. There are some downsides to attending, like how it's much harder to transfer to a 4-year that's out-of-state, but in-state 4-years usually have an agreement with the state's community colleges that makes it easy af to get accepted/transfer credits.

For context, I don't have the exact number yet, but I'm fairly certain that I will only owe $40k after I graduate, with a bachelor's in CS (community college + 4-year).

Community colleges are fucking amazing. They also are a very good way into university if you didn't do well in high school. Saved me a shit ton, let me figure out what I wanted to do, and I got into the school I wanted to go to because I kept my GPA up

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Software Engineers in places like CA, NYC, Austin, Seattle, etc. I made $89k as a Computer Engineer straight out of college in MD. Easily over 6 figures in total compensation. My favorite: 200% 401(k) matching up to 8% of salary, plus 2.5% non-matching base contribution. Essentially, I put in 4%, they put in 12.5%. They also paid for my Master's, and gave me a raise when I finished it.
So literally not actually 6 figures even in those markets.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
We know that trade jobs - on median - right around the US' national median income. So somewhere - on median - between $35,000 to $41,000. People making $100,000 in any skilled trade are outliers and extremely lucky.

Completely fine and better than some other long-term options like retail but there's been a reason so many people who are skilled trade workers push their kids to college.

Trade plus college works well. For example, getting a trade in plumbing and then a college degree in water science. A trade in roof work plus a college degree in business management.

This is definitely a great route for some skilled trades.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
So literally not actually 6 figures even in those markets.
Easily 6 figures in those markets.

In my graduating class alone, one dude got $175k *base* salary at Apple, another got ~$130k at Bloomberg LP with a $30k signing bonus. A bunch more got like $120k base salary at Google and Facebook.

You're being strangely obtuse about this. A CS major with good LeetCode skills can very easily land a 6 figure job at a big tech company. You can conceivably get halfway into $200k if you get multiple offers and negotiate.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Easily 6 figures in those markets.

In my graduating class alone, one dude got $175k *base* salary at Apple, another got ~$130k at Bloomberg LP with a $30k signing bonus. A bunch more got like $120k base salary at Google and Facebook.

You're being strangely obtuse about this. A CS major with good LeetCode skills can very easily land a 6 figure job at a big tech company. You can conceivably get halfway into $200k if you get multiple offers and negotiate.
Your CS engineering friend got a base salary of manager at Apple right out of university? That's some hustle.

www.businessinsider.com

These are the 24 highest-paying jobs at Apple

Who makes more, engineers or software developers? We've ranked the highest-paying jobs at Apple, according to salary information found on Glassdoor.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Your CS engineering friend got a base salary of manager at Apple right out of university?

www.businessinsider.com

Who makes more, engineers or software developers? We've ranked the highest-paying jobs at Apple, according to salary information found on Glassdoor.
His offer letter said base salary of $175k. Granted, he had internship experience at NASA, Boeing, and LinkedIn, and competing offers from a couple of FAANGs. The average new grad at Apple can expect $120k base salary.

Your numbers are low. There is no way a manager at Apple is only making $50k more than what the average new-grad (ICT2) is making. At least not in CA.

www.levels.fyi

Apple Software Engineer Salaries | $162K-$768K+ | Levels.fyi

Software Engineer compensation at Apple ranges from $162K per year for ICT2 to $768K per year for ICT6. The median compensation package totals $257K. Get a look into the base, stock, and bonus package breakdowns as well as Apple's standard stock vesting schedule.

Again, you are being strangely obtuse about this.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Biology is only worth it if you're gonna continue on to a masters or PhD in a specific field. A bachelor's is pretty much useless, a fact which I unfortunately figured after I got my degree.

Yeah, that's quite true. A lot of people have told me that a Master's is the bare minimum to do decent benchwork research with bio or chem.

Feb 15, 2018
I would echo what others have said about healthcare degrees. You don't have to go to med school and be a physician to be in health care and have a great career, though I think a lot of high schoolers get stuck with that mentality. Nursing can be a fantastic choice and has many different avenues including higher level degrees if desired. If willing to do grad school it opens up options for PT, PA, dental, optometry, psychology, etc. And just about all those options will get you out of school far earlier than you would have with med school +residency and fellowship.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your CS engineering friend got a base salary of manager at Apple right out of university? That's some hustle.

www.businessinsider.com

I have an electrical engineer friend that is working on the server-side power supplyies at facebook and makin $250k right now. Not even a software developer, just the guy making sure the PSU work without doing weird things.

Oct 28, 2017

www.businessinsider.com

What argument are you trying to make? The original post didn't state that engineering degrees guarantee a 6 figure salary straight out of university.

It's not like tradies jump directly into six figure salaries either. Tradies are paid well in relative terms but 6 figures are largely reserved for people with a decade of experience, likely running their own business - with the exceptions of specialty trades or in certain industries such as mining. Even in Australia, where tradies are paid exceptionally well, experienced electricians (i.e. the most lucrative of the mainstream trades) with 10 years on the job can expect 85kish.

The point is that there is a hard limit on career progression in the trades.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
English is often thought of as a joke major, but it is quite versatile and can lead to a huge variety of careers. I haven't had an issue finding a job as a Technical Writer, many schools offer this as a track within the English Major.
Writing specialization can make an English BA pretty useful. I agree. I'm an English BA with a writing specialization, and it's helped me get a lot of tech writing jobs, as well as marketing copy writing jobs.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
Can I suggest hospitality? You will always need food and lodging and it's a degree that can take you in many different directions.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Any humanities/liberal arts course that have interdisciplinary training as one of the tenets is something that I can suggest (so courses like Comparative Literature, Interdisciplinary Studies, etc.). I'm not sure how it works in the US, but the course I took here gave me the opportunity to choose electives and tracks which I thought I needed and which I thought I wanted to learn about. I was able to mix several fields (communication, psychology, literature/english, and a bit of socio-anthropology) during my college years and I got a lot of job opportunities from different fields that way (media corporations, telecommunications, even non-profit organizations offered me jobs). I ended up in media and even became a translator at one point, but I mostly do digital ads now.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
cyber/network security
This too. I recently hired an Information Security Officer and the older candidates were just not keeping up with the changes.
Cybersecurity.

Although instead of funneling kids into 4 year degree programs, high schools should be more up front about the prospects of 2 year tech degrees. Any of the trades and especially IT type degrees are quick and cheap ways to get into the workforce and make a ton of money.
Addendum to cyber security: everyone wants to be a pentester, but companies (at least here) desperately need more blue team specialists.

These are just the ones I've seen on the first page.

Whilst I wholeheartedly endorse demonstrating cyber security as a career (and as someone has said, broadening that view beyond just pentesting) in my experience employers are less keen on undergraduate cyber security degrees.

If anything, study something like an engineering discipline or computer science to build the overarching foundation and then adorn that with a cyber security master's degree or other technical certification.

This is based entirely on my experience in the UK, but the standard of cyber security degrees simply doesn't seem to be considered as high as traditional compsci or other technical degrees.

That said, early exposure to cyber security is absolutely an advantage and students should be encouraged to pursue it in any way they can, just as for college majors / university degrees go I'd recommend a more traditional course and then enhance it with certs or a post-grad qualification.

Can't speak for the US or elsewhere though.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Geography/Geographic Information Systems is a classic "discovery" major, and I think the GIS side still has good employment prospects.
Still does. Great field to work in and you can easily build your portfolio through programs like ArcGIS. NGA also is a great place to get your feet wet with great opportunities.

GIS experience is always needed for military/federal agencies so it is easy to find work once you land one or at least know where to start. Highly recommend for those interested in anything geographical.

This is what I did, never even knew it existed before college. Employment market is ok, its great if you have a top secret clearance
Should also mention this as well. If you can land a TS, you have to TRY to not land a job. There are always companies or federal slots open once you can get a clearance.

Last edited:

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017
These are just the ones I've seen on the first page.

Whilst I wholeheartedly endorse demonstrating cyber security as a career (and as someone has said, broadening that view beyond just pentesting) in my experience employers are less keen on undergraduate cyber security degrees.

If anything, study something like an engineering discipline or computer science to build the overarching foundation and then adorn that with a cyber security master's degree or other technical certification.

This is based entirely on my experience in the UK, but the standard of cyber security degrees simply doesn't seem to be considered as high as traditional compsci or other technical degrees.

That said, early exposure to cyber security is absolutely an advantage and students should be encouraged to pursue it in any way they can, just as for college majors / university degrees go I'd recommend a more traditional course and then enhance it with certs or a post-grad qualification.

Can't speak for the US or elsewhere though.

This is me. I studied Electrical Engineering in university but now work in CyberSecurity field.

feline fury

Dec 8, 2017
Well I'd settle for a lab tech or environmental job if I could get one. I've been out of college for 3 years and my degree hasn't gotten me a single interview anywhere where it's required.

Even worse I figured a bachelor's degree would be fine in Bio at the time so I didn't take school as seriously as I should have and as a result I dont have good enough grades to get into a masters program even if I wanted to try.

5 years and 50000 later and this piece of paper is about as useful as toilet paper. I totally fucked myself and wasted a good portion of my 20s on nothing.
I had a much bigger gap between my college graduation and my entry into clinical/medical laboratory science work so don't get too down. I don't know how things work in Canada wrt requirements but if it's anything like it is here, you're not going to be able to waltz into a clinical lab and get a skilled job without any clinical lab experience. A regular bio degree doesn't give you the background you need in hematology, clinical chemistry, blood banking, etc for clinical lab work. So unless you can find an employer willing to train you from scratch, you'll probably have to take some classes or attend a program before you're a more qualified candidate. See if there are any post-baccalaureate programs that get you certified in a year or so and do some online research to see if that's something you'd like to do and if it's worth the time/$$$ investment. Maybe see if there are volunteer positions or shadowing opportunities inside a clinical lab that can help you decide. Because the environment can be very different from the university/research labs you're used to.

Getting your foot in the door can be tough but don't lose hope.

Yeah, you pretty much need to be ASCP certified unless you can find an employer willing to train you and hire you with the expectation you'll get certified in the near future. In some states, board licensure is an absolute requirement.

RedVanguard

Banned
Nov 22, 2017

As someone who started at a community college (and now works there too!), 100% agree with this. I work at our CC's Transfer Center and while I can't speak for other community colleges, we definitely try to encourage students to look beyond local universities and have sent a good number to Ivies. Plus, we just got two years free tuition here in California so there's even more of an incentive!

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
This is me. I studied Electrical Engineering in university but now work in CyberSecurity field.

Almsot exactly the same for me. The graduates and colleagues I worked with in my first security role all came from different technical fields including Maths, Computer Science, different engineering disciplines and Physics.

I've met one graduate with a straight up cyber security degree, but anyone else with formal education in the field either has a master's in it or has attained other certification.

This isn't to say cyber security degrees have no value, but from a strictly getting-the-first-job standpoint I'd suggest otherwise until they proliferate further.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is what I'm doing. The pay is fucking crazy.

In South Korea, I have a friend who is taught on a one year contract, was paid $45K a year, had housing and lunch paid for, was a 5 min walk to work, and since its Korea with its incredible transport system, nothing was ever too far. She paid off $15K worth of student debt with that.

I'm going to get my degree in English or Technical Writing, take my TEFL, and be off.

I did this in Taiwan after I finished my degree without a TESOL cert about 15 years ago (but you definitely want the cert now) and got around $25k take-home a year + free apartment. Not quite as good, but Taiwan cost of living is cheaper than South Korea and I was working at a cram school (you generally get better pay & benefits at actual schools).

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OP do not recommend kids to get into accounting. That job is getting more and more automated every day.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is something you can major in, per se, but railroad signal engineers are in such high demand right now that one could probably get a job almost anywhere in the US with rail.