• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I am a high school teacher and we are going to do a lesson on exploring college majors. Whenever we do this exercise I feel like we end up focusing on the same cliche group of well-known majors (accounting, computer science, education, nursing). What are some other majors that are pretty standard (i.e. you will find at most big universities) and have a good employment outlook (i.e. are in demand). Thanks.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any classical engineering that is not compsci. Materials, electrical, fluids, etc. You always need more of these people and it's effectively an instant job without many of the downsides of compsci

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
You mentioned computer science, but data analytics is a massively growing area that isn't saturated with old timey workers since it is a fairly young area compared to others.

cyber/network security

This too. I recently hired an Information Security Officer and the older candidates were just not keeping up with the changes.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Cybersecurity.

Although instead of funneling kids into 4 year degree programs, high schools should be more up front about the prospects of 2 year tech degrees. Any of the trades and especially IT type degrees are quick and cheap ways to get into the workforce and make a ton of money.

Benjamin

Nov 11, 2017
I would suggest:
  • Agricultural and food related sciences: food production, land use, farming technology etc are going to always be in demand and is an area of constant focus.
  • ANY tech/coding related course, not necessarily computer science (though that is the best one). Increasingly important areas of focus are security and Business Intelligence (data analysis, big data)
  • Waste management
  • Most engineering degrees will never go out of fashion. Industrial engineering, mechanical engineering etc.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, not sure it's a "major" but the trades are huge and always in demand. Plumbing, Auto mechanic, etc will always have a job and you can work pretty much anywhere. Everyone will need a car fixed, and plumbing/electrical work is useful both in life and as a profession.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Liberal arts for me has been good for getting into government jobs. But really I would say with a humanities or social science degrees students should be educated of possibilities in local, state and federal government jobs. I never knew or thought about working for the government when I was in HS or college and I love working for the government.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regenerative agriculture is going to define the next century in many many ways, and we need more young farmers to step up. Urban and regional planning is crucial too.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
English is often thought of as a joke major, but it is quite versatile and can lead to a huge variety of careers. I haven't had an issue finding a job as a Technical Writer, many schools offer this as a track within the English Major.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Don't do college, apprentice for a trade craft.

As someone who comes from a trade family - no thank you. Not unless unions (at least in the US) get stronger. I make double what I'd make in the skilled trades. Without the negative health effects. Without the cyclical downturns in the market. Even within the trades, there's a want of bachelor-level education for leadership and project management skills.

Some people do alright, but it can come with incredibly heavy physical burdens and an inability to pivot when there's a lack of demand.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
English is often thought of as a joke major, but it is quite versatile and can lead to a huge variety of careers. I haven't had an issue finding a job as a Technical Writer, many schools offer this as a track within the English Major.
How did you get into the field? I've often considered it, since I am good at writing but generally do not enjoy the creative or analytical side of writing. Just doing largely descriptive or expository work sounds like it would be pretty good.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
How did you get into the field? I've often considered it, since I am good at writing but generally do not enjoy the creative or analytical side of writing. Just doing largely descriptive or expository work sounds like it would be pretty good.
I was an English Major that followed my school's Technical Writing track, because of that I was able to build up a pretty decent portfolio of work samples through my schoolwork. We wrote grants and technical guides as part of our coursework.

Most of the technical writing demand I see is in software fields (like everything), so experience there can help. Most places look for English or Computer Science degrees when hiring, so similar job experience would help there too. There is also the hardware side of Technical Writing, but I'm not too familiar with that side of the industry.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was an English Major that followed my school's Technical Writing track, because of that I was able to build up a pretty decent portfolio of work samples through my schoolwork. We wrote grants and technical guides as part of our coursework.

Most of the technical writing demand I see is in software fields (like everything), so experience there can help. Most places look for English or Computer Science degrees when hiring, so similar job experience would help there too. There is also the hardware side of Technical Writing, but I'm not too familiar with that side of the industry.
I have an English degree, though not much experience in software or programming. I suppose I would have to look for a way to build a portfolio of samples and such.

Do you have a steady employer or just work freelance?

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Liberal arts for me has been good for getting into government jobs. But really I would say with a humanities or social science degrees students should be educated of possibilities in local, state and federal government jobs. I never knew or thought about working for the government when I was in HS or college and I love working for the government.

Yeah, the public sector is pretty nice. My current job is technically government, but we're not city, county or state. We're just largely funded by a very specific state tax. I actually took a pay cut with this job, but the long term prospects are ridiculous. I came in making $38/hour, and I get guaranteed annual baseline performance increases of 4.5% with the opportunity for more depending on your performance review, so by my 5th year here I'll be making $47.35/hour. There's a lot of room for growth too, and they typically just give "promotions" even if the position isn't quite open to retain talent. And there's tuition reimbursement of $7k after one year of working here, 10k after two years, and a max of 13K after 3 or more years. On top of 50% of textbook reimbursement.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will also echo GIS. It's used everywhere. I did a bit of of getting my envi sci degree and I wish I did more. You can be employed by government agencies or private. Pretty easy to start your own firm that would do JUST GIS consulting.

Comp Sci is still very safe for the future but I will note I have a friend who makes six figures here in Seattle doing some kind of coding. He is adamant about making sure your comp sci degree focuses on practical application and he says one of the best ways to do this is to major in game design. It's something I remember was generally laughed at "why try to learn how to make games when you can just take the comp sci track and learn it all"

The difference is game coding forces you to know how to actually MAKE something. Whereas a lot of comp sci programs like to take a very theoretical approach. You are solving theoretical problems and learning code at a high level. For some, this is great, but it always seemed like more of a stepping stone to masters level comp sci. They teach more theory, less practice.

Now, every school will have a different program so its good getting some research in. But he said that his company told him they found that people with game design backgrounds/educations tend to know how to "build" stuff better.

hephaestus

Oct 28, 2017
Take power engineering 4th class to stupidity easy. Then take water treatment. The operator's at my plant make 120k a year full benefits and a awesome pension. The hardest they have to work is putting in a work request for us millwrights to fix lol.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Cybersecurity.

Although instead of funneling kids into 4 year degree programs, high schools should be more up front about the prospects of 2 year tech degrees. Any of the trades and especially IT type degrees are quick and cheap ways to get into the workforce and make a ton of money.

I wished I was told this when I graduated from college. I wouldn't have wasted soo much money on a four year degree vs a 2 year technical college. Make me sour when I graduated from a four year and my co-worker graduated from ITT Tech and gets paid the same as me but has all of his student loans paid since he only spent 40k on his degree making six figures.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the public sector is pretty nice. My current job is technically government, but we're not city, county or state.
What sort of "government jobs" are you supposed to get with just a general liberal arts education? I've often heard that government jobs are good, but whenever I try and look up that sort of thing it tends to be highly specialized with fairly extensive experience requirements.

Apply has also often felt like kind of a hopeless prospect unless you have someone on the inside to give your application/resume a boost.

Zaphod

Aug 21, 2019
The trades can be good for a paycheck, but are often hard on the body. The welders at my job all look about 5 to 10 years older than their actual age.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Data Science, Food Science (I cannot believe how much one of my college friends makes in this field), business/sales. I never knew how lucrative SaaS sales was until I got into the field. Insanely lucrative even if you're not super good at it.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
What sort of "government jobs" are you supposed to get with just a general liberal arts education? I've often heard that government jobs are good, but whenever I try and look up that sort of thing it tends to be highly specialized with fairly extensive experience requirements.

Apply has also often felt like kind of a hopeless prospect unless you have someone on the inside to give your application/resume a boost.

Getting a more practical degree like Public/Business Administration, Public Policy, Accounting, etc. might fast track your ability to get a well paying job in the public sector. But you could go for something like Data Entry, an Analyst, etc. position. Non-profits are a wonderful first step for a career too. Not only do they often fundamentally intersect with the Public sector, but if you work for a small to mid range non-profit, you'll likely get the opportunity to wear a multitude of hats and build up some much needed transferable skill sets through which to leverage in your eventual pivot to the public sector.

I personally started at a non-profit, volunteered for anything and everything I could - even if it was outside of my wheelhouse - and was able to subsequently package those skill sets repeatedly for more worthwhile positions. Like any job, it's all about selling yourself, and being able to showcase the connective tissue of your skill sets with that of what the employer is looking for no matter how loose they are.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
I have an English degree, though not much experience in software or programming. I suppose I would have to look for a way to build a portfolio of samples and such.

Do you have a steady employer or just work freelance?
I have an employer, but there are a ton of freelance jobs in the field.

Oct 27, 2017

They often need a science/technical background (IE: Inspectors, project managers, etc) but a generalist degree that kind of opens doors would be a Masters in Public Administration. MPA degrees seem to be closely related to business degrees in terms of the type of thought processes that you learn so that kind of gives you an idea of which education and experience you have that might put you at the top of the pile.

I believe the most important thing though is experience. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to heavily weigh in the years of experience in x/y/z field that's relevant to the job because it's too easy to have favoritism in organizations where people stay at the same office for decades. To be fair, the most stubborn and incompetent assholes I've seen are usually on the private industry side.

One thing is that the government job postings way overestimate the job requirements, just like the private industry. If you see one that looks like interesting work and you think you can maybe, possibly, and with a lot of googling do half the requirements listed, I'd say it's worth applying.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a popular opinion right now, and with good reason -- colleges are expensive and many young people are encouraged to take on a financial burden that might last 10 or 20 years without really understanding the ramifications of that -- but, I'd like to argue that a college education shouldn't primarily be thought of as a job training center... Or, like, the focus of college shouldn't be about going somewhere in order to get training for a job when you leave. I know that often is the perception of it, but I don't think it should be. On average, people change careers about three times in their working life, not jobs, but actual careers, and I think when we focus college too much on being a job training program, then it can be very focused on what the "hot" job is today and not necessarily on the skills and education that makes it possible for someone to adapt to a new career later in their life, when today's "hot" job is yesterday's telephone repairman.

I think there's hirable value in the liberal arts -- writing, critical thinking, critical reading -- and that focusing too much on what someone's job prospects are for a given major is the wrong focus. Most colleges don't require someone to choose a major until their 2nd year... Unless it's a very specific discipline (say, an engineering school where a person is pretty likely to already be going into an engineering focus, or maybe something like Pre-med), and I'd encourage students to go into college with an open mind about what they might study. They might have a particular direction to go into ... computer science, healthcare, business, or something... but I'd encourage someone to use their gen eds in their first 2 years to consider majoring in a subject that they didn't think was interesting when they went into college, that they ended up loving. This happened with me, I went in planning to major in Computer Science, I really struggled my freshman and sophomore year in the basic math and physics classes I needed for Comp Science at the time, but ended up loving classes that I thought, at the time, were just classes to cross off my list on gen-eds... Political science and philosophy. I'm a software engineer today, but I genuinely don't think that I would have had the job opportunities I've had since graduating (eh... 15 years ago) if I stuck with computer science. I don't know if I would have even graduated college if I stuck with computer science... I didn't know how to learn, and I learned how to learn with those other disciplines. There's a lot of bias in hiring in my industry against applicants who did not go the traditional engineering route, but as a person who is on hiring teams, I look for people who did not take that traditional role into engineering... Maybe they had a liberal arts background, or floated around in other industries, before coming into computer science, I think they can be really valuable on the right team. I'm very interested in the English major turn law school flunky who is now looking to break into computer science and software development, I think they can learn some of the core skills they missed in college, while having skills that are underepresented in the industry. Unfortunately, that's just not a popular opinion in the software industry today.

Especially today, so many questions in software design are not technical questions, but ethical questions and I think as an industry we're done a disservice because we've failed to hire diverse educational backgrounds. The software industry seems to confound the general public today with good reason, it seems like there's a new article every week where the general public is aghast at a software company doing something so obviously unethical -- advertising to children, selling personal data to help sway an election, allowing politicians to blatantly lie on a platform and make money off of it -- but I think it's so obvious why there's this disconnect ... So many of these companies are founded and primarily motivated by people who have never taken an ethics class in their life, or they scoffed at having to take a philosophy, writing, literature, or politics class in college ... One of those "ugh, what's the point of this, how will American Literature 203 get me a job...?" attitudes. I think that contributes to this blindness and lack of human empathy in big tech today, we've been so focused on solving technical problems for so long, engineering challenges, that we've missed that we're supposed to be building software in service of humans, not in service of itself.

I don't think that this is a new phenomenon, but a worsening phenomenon.

Last edited:

DonNadie

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Dental Hygienist. It's a two year degree and here in New York the median pay is around $90k with a starting salary of about $60k. Also according to some research that my wife has done, It is a very low stress career.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017

If you're looking to help build a portfolio, one thing that is always in demand but nobody has any appreciation for it, is doc writing in open source projects. Unfortunately I don't think I could say "You'll definitely get a job if you do doc writing for open source projects", but I can't it's just not a true statement, but it is one of those gaps in software that everybody tries to fix with technical solutions (you'd be amazed at the number of projects there are that boast "generate documentation from your source code!!!!" -- clearly there's an under served need), and nobody really appreciates that a good doc writer should be someone who has technical training in writing not in software design.

This advice might not help you get a job right away, but there's a tremendous gap. If you find yourself learning some aspects of development, I'd keep a keen eye out for when you're struggling to understand documentation on a project. Keep that project in mind and then consider sitting down to try to improve the doc for that project and submit it through github. And then, voila, you've contributed to a software project. It's unpaid, of course, but it starts to build out a resume and portfolio.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Supply Chain Management is often overlooked and is a booming industry due to globalization. We'll always need to move stuff from A to B.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Addendum to cyber security: everyone wants to be a pentester, but companies (at least here) desperately need more blue team specialists.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I wished I was told this when I graduated from college. I wouldn't have wasted soo much money on a four year degree vs a 2 year technical college. Make me sour when I graduated from a four year and my co-worker graduated from ITT Tech and gets paid the same as me but has all of his student loans paid since he only spent 40k on his degree making six figures.

Yep, common story in IT and especially cybersecurity. In fact a lot of us are homemade who just got two year degrees to give us a resume starter. All of my student loans were paid off with tax credits under a federal program (thanks, Obama), and now I make stupid money. In fact the degree itself was only like 10k total which is easily attainable loan amount for anyone.

But it doesn't stop at IT, there is a HUGE demand for skilled labor. I struggle with this a lot. So many people get 4 year whatever degrees and then end up waiting tables or working at starbucks, then bitch there are no jobs. Not really. There may be limited jobs where you fiddle with spreadsheets, answer emails, and browse ERA all day while making exorbitant amounts of money. That is true. However you can easily, easily make 75k+ being a pipe fitter, carpenter, electrician, plumber, lineman, etc and these are all union jobs with amazing benefits. You could also work in oil, or do testing on reactors, or hell even the garbage men make tons of money. Seriously. I mean there is NO reason an able bodied person could not do any of these. There is just a stigma associated with blue collar skilled labor which is absurd. Working with your hands and having a skill is creative, rewarding, and fulfilling.

So I see all these people continuously bitching about no job prospects, can't afford anything, pay sucks, economy sucks... your exit is right in front of you. Look up your local tech college and apply for a FAFSA loan. Change your life, provide for your family, do something about your situation.