• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't make this okay. I would be devastated if my business would be destroyed. To hear "We will rebuild it." wouldn't help me, they shouldn't have destroyed it in the first place!

It literally makes it okay when the people it directly affects are saying it's okay. You don't get to insert your opinion on that. It's irrelevant.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Will never ever defend looting. It's just people taking advantage of an already shitty situation. In my eyes, shameful.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, come on. I don't think a retail store is the best representation of the Wallstreet. That's a bit much.
It doesn't have to be the best respresentation. It's a representation and it's one to act on.

But we live in the real world and not in a just one. In this instances they probably will be okay, but I personally would dread the day I want to go to my job and find the place in total shambles.
As would I.

But Society has also primed me to dread driving down the street because I'm an almost 33 year old black man who lives in white dominated suburbs and drives a nice, clean, modern Hyundai Elantra while wearing a fitted cap and listening to rap music in case I get pulled over by an asshole cop who's having a bad day.

Or dread the day one of the people in my neighborhood forgets that I live here when I go walk down the street to check the mail.

Or dread the winter time because some white lady decides to clutch her purse while in front of me because I'm a black guy in a winter jacket and hoodie because it's 33 degrees outside and all I care about is getting out of the cold so I can eat my shitty fast food on my lunch break.

I dread A shit ton of things; and I'd burn my fucking job down my damn self if it meant that no one had to dread any of the above.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I don't see it. People invested in changing conditions usually don't prioritize their own financial gain at the expense of a tragedy.

I do get that it's just a natural consequence of civil unrest, and that people should be smart enough to look past that and into what's making people so angry that they reached that level.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
It's fully legitimate. America stole their lives, their labor, the fruits of such, their homes, their land, their history, and refuses reparations... are you really going to deny them the right of revolt and the right to take a pittance of it back?

FUCK. THAT. ✊🏻

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The mystifying ideological claim that looting is violent and non-political is one that has been carefully produced by the ruling class because it is precisely the violent maintenance of property which is both the basis and end of their power. Looting is extremely dangerous to the rich (and most white people) because it reveals, with an immediacy that has to be moralized away, that the idea of private property is just that: an idea, a tenuous and contingent structure of consent, backed up by the lethal force of the state. When rioters take territory and loot, they are revealing precisely how, in a space without cops, property relations can be destroyed and things can be had for free."

Some points on this part in particular:
Looting is least dangerous to the rich. Which of them will actually suffer from it? Maybe insurance or reinsurance companies will take a small short-term hit at worst. It seems crazy to me to say that looting reveals private property to be a tenuous construct. Quite the opposite. Most of the looted, and certainly people watching, are going to be keenly aware of what could happen to their own property. They're going to be more open to the force of the state, not less.

Property relations can indeed be destroyed, at least for a while. The result isn't going to be some anarchist paradise--it's going to be a wave of support to restore the status quo, by heavy-handed means if necessary.

None of what I'm saying is speculative. Looting has happened before in many times, in many places, and we have plenty of data to see what the longer-term effects are. The author of the article is engaging in wishful thinking.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The people burning buildings and seizing property did more to get Chauvin arrested than anyone hand-wringing in this thread about civility.

Deleted member 60096

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 20, 2019
That doesn't make this okay. I would be devastated if my business would be destroyed. To hear "We will rebuild it." wouldn't help me, they shouldn't have destroyed it in the first place!
If you want to be angry about this purely on principle then fine whatever I'm not going to stop you but at least be angry at the right people. Don't focus your anger on the people who are expressing an anger that has built up over time as a result of their oppression and focus it on the people and the systems who have caused that oppression instead. Riots and looting are the natural consequence of a system that is hostile towards people for simply existing

Jan 2, 2018
I dread A shit ton of things; and I'd burn my fucking job down my damn self if it meant that no one had to dread any of the above.

But it's not working this way. Burning down these bussinesses don't change anything. I understand why they feel the need to let their anger out in such destructive ways, but I disagree with the sentiment that this is okay.

If you want to be angry about this purely on principle then fine whatever I'm not going to stop you but at least be angry at the right people. Don't focus your anger on the people who are expressing an anger that has built up over time as a result of their oppression and focus it on the people and the systems who have caused that oppression instead. Riots and looting are the natural consequence of a system that is hostile towards people for simply existing

Oh. I'm angry at the system that let all this happen, and it really needs to change. But I just don't think that this is the right way to bring the long needed change.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
But it's not working this way. Burning down these bussinesses don't change anything. I understand why they feel the need to let their anger out in such destructive ways, but I disagree with the sentiment that this is okay.
The killer cop was arrested only because people started to attack private property.

You can say it's not the case, but it is.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It's so very clear that the attack on private property in a systematic way is freaking out the ruling class. It's so very unbelievably crystal clear.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I don't see it. People invested in changing conditions usually don't prioritize their own financial gain at the expense of a tragedy.

I do get that it's just a natural consequence of civil unrest, and that people should be smart enough to look past that and into what's making people so angry that they reached that level.

But what is explained is that it is not about the financial gain for the looters. There is a message behind it. They are not prioritizing financial gain, I would consider the financial loss for the instances a higher priority, but even that is only part of the reasoning.

Jecht

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Its the only reason this cop was arrested and charged in this case.

It's the only reason the civil rights movement succeeded.

It's the only reason women can vote.

It's the only reason American gained independence.

You're completely out of touch.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Nice read.

I don't believe there's that much "meaningless" looting going on now (e.g the Target store redistribution posted somewhere above) , but this piece on the London riots of 2011 is pretty good in making sense of it if/when it does occur:

Zygmunt Bauman characterised the riots as acts of 'defective and disqualified consumers': more than anything else, they were a manifestation of a consumerist desire violently enacted when unable to realise itself in the 'proper' way – by shopping. As such, they also contain a moment of genuine protest, in the form of an ironic response to consumerist ideology: 'You call on us to consume while simultaneously depriving us of the means to do it properly – so here we are doing it the only way we can!' The riots are a demonstration of the material force of ideology – so much, perhaps, for the 'post-ideological society'.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Some points on this part in particular:
Looting is least dangerous to the rich. Which of them will actually suffer from it? Maybe insurance or reinsurance companies will take a small short-term hit at worst. It seems crazy to me to say that looting reveals private property to be a tenuous construct. Quite the opposite. Most of the looted, and certainly people watching, are going to be keenly aware of what could happen to their own property. They're going to be more open to the force of the state, not less.
Interesting counter.

Jan 2, 2018
The killer cop was arrested only because people started to attack private property.

Its the only reason this cop was arrested and charged in this case.

It's the only reason the civil rights movement succeeded.

It's the only reason women can vote.

It's the only reason American gained independence.

You're completely out of touch.

I didn't condemn the burning of the police station. That place was directly related to the injustice. That I can understand.

Mar 18, 2020
You can't be knowledgeable about how thoroughly America has tried to destroy black people and wring your hands over the rioting and looting.

It is however annoying to see people who normally say or do fuck all to support black issues perk up when it starts to go down.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
Oh. I'm angry at the system that let all this happen, and it really needs to change. But I just don't think that this is the right way to bring the long needed change.
And what is the right way then? Cause I know for a fact that peaceful protests alone aren't enough to change a system that has oppression so heavily ingrained into how it works

Mar 7, 2020
USA
For all the people bringing up HK protest...

I don't know if I should be offened or flattered that Asians are again used as a scapegoat/model minority to put down other minorities.

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
I don't think there is any defense really, especially if we look to other protests like the ones that happened in Hong Kong. You can protest without stealing shit.
Somebody probably already said it but there were looters in HK as well. It's only news in US/Europe when black americans do it ;)
asiatimes.com

More looting of HK shops hit by vandalism, arson

Hong Kong police recorded more than 80 cases of arson involving shops with alleged links to mainland China since October 1 and some shop owners reported losses of property as well as damage to thei…

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2018
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling In a Sensitive Thread; Prior Related Bans
And what is the right way then? Cause I know for a fact that peaceful protests alone aren't enough to change a system that has oppression so heavily ingrained into how it works

There are many examples of peaceful protests (over a longer period of time) that brought change. And if you absolutely need to let your (rightful) anger out in a more destructive way, at least focus of the responsible locations, not unrelated ones.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
There are many examples of peaceful protests (over a longer period of time) that brought change. And if you absolutely need to let your (rightful) anger out in a more destructive way, at least focus of the responsible locations, not unrelated ones.
They tried to protest peacefully: they were ignored and brutalised.

You reap what you sow.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
You can't be knowledgeable about how thoroughly America has tried to destroy black people and wring your hands over the rioting and looting.

It is however annoying to see people who normally say or do fuck all to support black issues perk up when it starts to go down.

annoying? but we need them to perk up.

so the only people who are allowed to become radicalised are people who were woke before the mass event? what a losing strategy.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
If its a big company like Target or Walmart or w.e sure. They have really good insurance and are huge companies. The message gets across in that instance.

I don't really like the idea of looting, but I guess nobody is trying to pay 30% of their income to fund and get screwed over systematically by racists. You're gonna want to take back what got stolen from you understandably.

2020 is a ride yo.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020
USA

Don't tell the oppressed how they should express their anger at the system/goverment that exploit and oppress them.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

1. The protests and destruction that resulted got your attention. That changed from the last instance of police violence, where you probably paid your lip service in a thread here and moved on.
  2. One of the murderous assholes has been arrested and charged within a week. The only other times we have such speedy results such as this in prior situations has always been after a massive, destructive protest.
it changed your attention and it's not a conversation piece. The framing of the narrative changes and continues to change. It's mainstream. It's on social media. The local and national news networks have live recordings of their own staff being harassed, abused, and unjustly arrested by the same overbearing forces of society that lead to the death and resulting property damage in the first place.

It's the most noticeable change we've had yet.

And you're not angry at the system. You may be frustrated and disappointed, but you're not angry. If you were angry, you'd be exactly where I am instead of trying to suggest that locking arms and continued marches are better for the long haul as if we don't have 50 fucking well documented years protests being ignored before people get sick of being disregarded and start burning shit down.

Protests and riots, Martin Luther King and Malcolm X; we are where we are today because of both because when the first stops working, we use the next. Do more to assist with the former and no one will resort to the latter.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Another article along these lines, posted here, written by Raven Rakia, makes the following point:

Looting is the opposite of apolitical; it is a direct redistribution of wealth. And yet, even on the left, when a black or African protester destroys and takes property, they are stripped of the tactical or historical will inherent in the decision. It is instead understood through the colonial conception of the political backwardness of black communities: they become apolitical rioters, pure and simple.

The media's method is clear with regards to African resistance: quietly declare the demonstrations "riots" and then move on to the next piece of news. No more than three paragraphs, if that. No nuance, no debate, no critical thinking so that it is an easy argument to make when the state puts rioters down like one would a rabid dog. Like in Newark, 1967, where the National Guard occupied the city, complete with snipers on rooftops that shot and killed black people for looting, or running, or coming out of their homes. Or in Sudan, where police forces opened live ammunition on demonstrations and killed over 200 people in a week. State-sanctioned killing and military force is all of a sudden a "complicated" issue where there is no clear "good" side. Yet, while one group is destroying property, the other group is murdering human beings. When oppression from the state breeds outrage that is then silenced with state murder, how do we respond? Do we internalize and blame ourselves or are we persistent in our refusal to back down? At times some say protesters are "provoking" the police based on their tactics but how do we equate people destroying property to the state mass murdering its people? Why is property on the same level as living, and breathing human beings? When the state kills, we must ask ourselves how we got to the point where the blame is on anyone but the state and its actors.

Throughout the 20th century, the KKK and white rioters destroyed massive swaths of black property, not to mention murdering black people, usually with implicit or actual state support. More recently, the Greek Neo-Nazi party Golden Dawn would go into immigrant neighborhoods in Athens and destroy their stalls and storefronts (and also, murder immigrants), with little state resistance (indeed, many Athenian police are Golden Dawn supporters). The destruction of property is a red herring, used to divert attention from the fact that it is the goals, not the methods, of the protests that the media and the state object to.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't condemn the burning of the police station. That place was directly related to the injustice. That I can understand.
The police station was burned because the police abandoned it. They abandoned it because they were under continuous pressure to respond to rioting and property damage. It literally would not have been possible to attack the symbol of injustice without more widespread damage.

Could you list some examples from the United States of strictly peaceful protest movements that effected change? Because that absolutely does not describe women's suffrage, Black civil rights, or any anti-war movement that I can think of.

Deleted member 60096

Banned
Sep 20, 2019
I'm not saying that peaceful protest can never bring any change but the change required to truly end the oppression and essentially state approved murder of black people is not something that can be achieved through that method alone.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I don't think looting actually affects the rich as much as people hope it does and only really damages small businesses, it does make a strong statement and it did get the job done - the murdering wanker of a cop got arrested and charged with murder, right? That wouldn't have happened without the looting.

So it worked. Can't really argue with the results when peaceful protest doesn't do shit. Nothing worth fighting for is won peacefully, sadly.

If white people wanna walk up to town halls or whatever, armed to the teeth to yell about how the lockdown is oppression, then I don't have a single problem with black people breaking shit to bring actual oppression to light.

Prophet Steve

Oct 26, 2017
If its a big company like Target or Walmart or w.e sure. They have really good insurance and are huge companies. The message gets across in that instance.

I don't think targeting huge companies with really good insurance that are barely hurt by the actions will really get the impact of the message across.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think targeting huge companies with really good insurance that are barely hurt by the actions will really get the impact of the message across.
When all you know of political movements and change is the glossed over aspects of it from history class in order to meet the two week deadline so the teacher can move on to some other shit, you lose perspective.

Keep in mind the United States Of America was founded by bunch of people who peacefully protested before they started burning the fuck outta shit and grabbing guns.

But I guess things are different now.

Jan 2, 2018
Could you list some examples from the United States of strictly peaceful protest movements that effected change? Because that absolutely does not describe women's suffrage, Black civil rights, or any anti-war movement that I can think of.

I have to admit that I'm not that well versed with American history, I was more thinking about European examples. Do you think they can't be compared? Honest question.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
The Target down in the MIdway is a strong representation of gentrification in that area. It's been a sore spot for that neighborhood since the moment it was announced. There was every reason for that people down on University to go after it even if it didn't go down like the other one. I'm actually surprised more of an effort wasn't made on Allianz Field. They didn't go after a Target just because it's a big corporation, it specifically hurt that neighborhood.

https://rondobeyondthepavement.org/ you can check out this documentary on that issue in that area and realize that this area wasn't just randomly selected, there is every reason for them to go hard.

Mar 18, 2020
annoying? but we need them to perk up.

so the only people who are allowed to become radicalised are people who were woke before the mass event? what a losing strategy.
First of all, any statement that starts with "so" and continues with some random interpretation of what I said usually gets ignored outright but I'll clarify.

By "perk up" I mean get happy and start pushing their own pet projects and political agendas on to the backs of black people who they normally ignore.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Genuinely curious - how do people even think peaceful protest creates change? Like, what is the mechanism? Do you think people look at crowds of people waving signs and think "Oh shit, a bunch of people disagree with what we're doing, so we should change"?

No one cares that people are waving signs. The reason protest can work at all is that if people are passionate to organize, come out and wave signs, then people are probably passionate enough to start tearing things down if their voices keep being continuously ignored. Protests are a threat. Without the threat, protests can be ignored forever.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The "Will never defend looting" crowd blatantly miss the point. Yes there are opportunists, but in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant to the message represented. People are tired. Point blank. It doesn't need to be justifiable in your head and if it isn't you're probably privileged enough to not know the strife we experience everyday. People burned up tea when they weren't heard and that's in our history books. Who cares about a fucking Target with some insurance, who've already gone on record justifying the public anger themselves?

Im paraphrasing here but there's a quote on those who value order over justice, and that's the side those "couldn't defend looting" people fall on.

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Isn't Baldwin's point just a less eloquent version of MLK's from the prior year?

Someone linked MLK's 1967 APA address in the other thread, and wooo boy does the "urban riot" section seem incredibly relevent:

https://www.apa.org/monitor/features/king-challenge
Thank you. This was a brilliant read. I would request that MLK's speech be added to the OP. And it should be mandatory reading for anyone posting in this thread. Specially this part-

A profound judgment of today's riots was expressed by Victor Hugo a century ago. He said, 'If a soul is left in the darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.'

Deleted member 25600

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Genuinely curious - how do people even think peaceful protest creates change? Like, what is the mechanism? Do you think people look at crowds of people waving signs and think "Oh shit, a bunch of people disagree with what we're doing, so we should change"?

No one cares that people are waving signs. The reason protest can work at all is that if people are passionate to organize, come out and wave signs, then people are probably passionate enough to start tearing things down if their voices keep being continuously ignored. Protests are a threat. Without the threat, protests can be ignored forever.
I read recently that peaceful protests that succeed often have the support of members of the ruling class backing them up, and the only form of peaceful protests to achieve their goals on their own are strikes.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
When we had the riots in London 2011 following the shooting of Mark Duggan, there was looting and it didn't bother me that the likes of Footlocker got cleaned out, it did sadden me to see local business get burnt to the ground and shopkeepers having to defend their property.

Peaceful protest only gets you so far, or nowhere, so when your plight is ignored this is sometimes the only way to see some change.

Has anyone read much of James Baldwin? I've heard him in interviews and he's terrific, meant to read something of his.

How did you arrive at this opinion?

Deleted member 46489

Banned
Aug 7, 2018

I'm not sure you are aware but handing a bunch of good-looking police officers some Pepsi cans seems to work very well, if PepsiCo's marketing department is to be believed.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
This article doesn't really answer a couple of things for me.

Primarily that most things available in a store to be looted are just goods, not property in the sense that taking it is a transfer of wealth and capital.

I do think the analogy of slaves freeing themselves being like looting, is apt and does illustrate the power of "theft" to disrupt white supremacy. But personal freedom and humanity is one thing and stores and random stuff is another. I don't have much sympathy for a lot of stuff getting burned down. But IMO, goods are an ineffective target and not the transfer that needs to happen.

Most people in our capitalist society are exploited by a system that works us to death for virtually nothing to gain in wealth and power. Instead they offer us goods that make us complacent and satisfied. If goods are the objective we look for to quell unrest, then it seems like they win whether we bought it or stole it.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California

Well the other option is small businesses. That's a quick way to lose support imo.

Im just goin off the articles argument that looting is symbolic in taking back from the oppresors. Multimillion buisnesses can be argued to be part of systematic oppression. That was my train of logic...idk

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Private property is protected by having a just society where civil order doesn't break down because police are serial killers.

Deleted member 38573

Banned
Jan 17, 2018
First of all, any statement that starts with "so" and continues with some random interpretation of what I said usually gets ignored outright but I'll clarify.

By "perk up" I mean get happy and start pushing their own pet projects and political agendas on to the backs of black people who they normally ignore.

Unless you're going to post examples you haven't clarified at all.

Do these pet projects and political agendas help black people?

Status
Not open for further replies.