• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
From Eurogamer:
EA has confirmed that there will be no new Battlefield game launching next year, with the franchise instead due to make its return in fiscal year 2022.
In Battlefield's absence, developer Respawn Entertainment's Apex Legends will serve as EA's primary shooter, with the publisher planning to expand the popular free-to-play battle royale game - which, it said, has seen over 70 million players since its launch earlier this year - out onto mobile and other platforms beyond PC, Xbox One, and PS4.

Reading inbetween the lines here, it sounds like DICE has extra time to cook up Battlefield 6. Which is actually great news. But aside from that. If APEX is to continue being EA's main FPS, that also means that EA just confirmed next year isn't a Battlefront year either. And in confirming this, we may have seen the last of Battlefront from EA with 2017's Battlefront 2. (Unless of course they plan to outsource it, which i very much doubt.)

Could this be the beginning of the end of EA & Star Wars? Yes they have Fallen Order and the game that Motive "took over" from Visceral, but are EA preparing for life after Star Wars already? If DICE is hard at work on Battlefield for now, and up until at the latest March 2022, that doesn't leave any room for another Battlefront game from them. Their 10 year deal expires in 2023, and post-launch support for whatever that Battlefield game is, is likely to continue for at least 6 months past its release. I'm going to assume here that they will be back with a fall launch in 2021, and have at least post launch support for the game up until the end of the FY. Could DICE still release Battlefront 3 in Fall of 2022 or Spring of 2023, before the deal expires? Sure. But it doesn't at all seem likely to me. Even for Respawn, we know they have another "Titanfall universe" game coming after JFO, there's also support for APEX, as well as the inevitable Titanfall 3. Will they even have time to get Fallen Order 2 (if it is something that would happen) out before EOY 2023? We don't even know what Motive's game is or when it's coming out, to speculate on their follow up to it.

So what do you think? Are we seeing the beginning of the end of EA and Star Wars?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Both games together sold 33 million.

I doubt we've seen the last of it, they're just gonna focus on BF2 which is in an amazing state right now and leave BF3 for next gen probably.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney are ready to yank the license depending on how Jedi Fallen Order does. Probably looking at more than just the financial results, too.

xGrizzly

Dec 3, 2017
Atlanta
Disney is just as bad but lets hope that they rent the license out to studios who want to work with the franchise. We're not getting anything like the past Star-Wars games but if it can be a situation similar to Warhammer 40K then I'll be satisfied.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
This is wonderful news for Battlefield players. That franchise definitely needs a break and more time to cook up something new. 2+ years might be enough to finally get rid of some decade long legacy bugs and basic usability issues.

I wish DICE would fire whoever is in charge of UI and menu functionality for Battlefield games.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Not counting this year, as it's ending, EA has 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 (im assuming the deal expires 12.31.23) to get star wars games out. Given the lack of manpower they have compared to when they originally signed the deal, plus their own IP release schedules. It would seem any star wars games that arent already in the oven right now would either need to be starting now or at the top of next year to have any real chance of releasing before the deal is done.

This is wonderful news for Battlefield players. That franchise definitely needs a break and more time to cook up something new. 2+ years might be enough to finally get rid of some decade long legacy bugs and basic usability issues.

I wish DICE would fire whoever is in charge of UI and menu functionality for Battlefield games.
easily the best takeaway from this report. BF4 was easily the best FPS to be this gen from a MP standpoint (once it was patched lol) and i have been dying for DICE to get back to that level of quality. Im always down for devs getting more time. Not to mention during a generation shift.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn't be the worst thing if Disney handed off the Star Wars license to another dev. Despited the sales of both Battlefronts, I would think Disney expected more output after 5 years w/ the license.

ImaPlayThis

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt it, I was expecting the next battlefront game to be released on the next consoles anyway... However it would be slightly funny if every 10 years we got two battlefront games and a 3rd that always got cancelled for some reason

egg

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Would rather the continuous updates of Battlefront 2 right now vs a sequel where they have to build it all back up again. That way he have continued updates now and when we do get a Battlefront 3 they have no excuse to not have a game filled with content at launch.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Disney is horrible to work with so I doubt EA is eager to catch the worst headlines of the year again while the biggest media company in the world takes zero blame.
Disney has no fault in this. They're fiercely protective of their IPs. That's no secret. EA was trying to dump their shitty microtransaction scheme into a game with the Star Wars name on it. Of course Disney wasn't going to have it once they saw how poorly it would reflect on them.

Oct 25, 2017
Disney has no fault in this. They're fiercely protective of their IPs. That's no secret. EA was trying to dump their shitty microtransaction scheme into a game with the Star Wars name on it. Of course Disney wasn't going to have it once they saw how poorly it would reflect on them.
This has no relation to reality Disney was part and parcel of every design decision about the game
The implication that Disney was blindsided and didn't know this kind of monetization was in the game is like insane.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
This has no relation to reality Disney was part and parcel of every design decision about the game
The implication that Disney was blindsided and didn't know this kind of monetization was in the game is like insane.
No, you see, poor Disney totally didn't have any control over the game. They simply didn't know how a licensed videogame from one of their biggest IPs was going to be, and they certainly didn't know it was going to feature the same awful MTX as their mobile games. EA was able to recreate TLJ content so accurately just from watching the trailers, totally.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Apex isn't the worst game, and I haven't been interested in a Battlefield game since Battlefield 4, so I'm okay with that for now.

And I will sacrifice every Battlefront game from here to eternity for just one good singleplayer star wars game. Fingers crossed that Fallen Order is that game.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, not at all. The games garner massive and insane sales.

I think they are realizing that having DICE put out a new AAA shooter every single year was spreading them too thin, so the wait for the next Battlefront may be longer.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
of course not. im sure theyre waiting to put out Battlefront III The Complete Saga with episode 9 content

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

I think they actually got it right with Battlelog but the community whined enough for them to do a 180.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Battlefront 1&2 were huge successes. DICE is going all-in on Battlefield for FY2022, EA Motive is making a new IP, and EA Vancouver is on Project Orca, so they have no time for another Battlefront.

I think Disney will renew the agreement with EA though.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Battlefront 2 is an incredible game and I can see them constantly adding to it for another few years, same with BFV. DICE's commitment to both has been fantastic, I've logged 500 hours between them.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
I think Disney will renew the agreement with EA though.
It seems very unlikely. At the time of the original deal, EA was flush with studios & in prime position to output a number of Star Wars titles. Now? They are down to 3 core studios outside of sports, 4 if you count Motive. Who are all busy with trying to handle their own IP which besides Respawn are all in rocky positions. Personally I just don't see it happening when they can take a page from Marvel Games and just license out the IP where they see fit.

Last edited:

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Ending their run with Star Wars at Jedi Fallen Order would be a tiny redemption arc for EA. Doubt this is the end, though. Disney seems satisfied with EA's Star Wars output even if audiences aren't.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It seems very unlikely. At the time of the original deal, EA was flush with studios & in prime position to output a number of Star Wars titles. Now? They are down to 3 core studios outside of sports, 4 if you count Motive. Who are all business with trying to handle their own IP which besides Respawn are all in rocky positions. Personally I just don't see it happening when they can take a page from Marvel Games and just license out the IP where they see fit.
There aren't a lot of studios capable of putting out AAA games with the kind of sales, budgets and polish that Disney wants. And most AAA publishers would rather work with their own IP rather than deal with Disney taking some huge cut......especially if the IP is going to be diluted by having big releases every 8-12 months.

Maybe now that Ubisoft has hit a wall with their Clancy games, they might be more open to doing a Jedi title in the style of an Assassin's Creed.

I don't think Disney really cares so much about the number of Star Wars games being made so much as the success of a few major titles. Battlefront 1&2 probably sold more than the entirety of Star Wars games made during the 360 generation (excluding LEGO). And now more than even I think Disney is realizing that Star Wars needs to be used somewhat sparingly so that releases are major events. Following the Marvel model doesn't look like it is going to work for the Star Wars films, and it probably won't work that well for the games either.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
There aren't a lot of studios capable of putting out AAA games with the kind of sales, budgets and polish that Disney wants.
But there's still more than just EA. Like I said above, EA themselves aren't even in position to make more than 1 SW game every few years, especially now. And there's nothing stopping EA from making Star Wars games under the license model. The film models don't really apply, or are relevant here. But it makes more sense for Disney & LucasFilm to have more options than less. There's nothing stopping DICE from making Battlefront 3 as an individually licensed game, and it's not like EA's games are connected or anything. Unless EA would refuse SW games if they aren't the exclusive partner, which would be more EA's problem than Disney's.

Ωλ7XL9

Oct 27, 2017
Please make a direct story sequel to BF4, tombstone squad's characters were engaging and BF4's story was actually good.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unless EA would refuse SW games if they aren't the exclusive partner, which would be more EA's problem than Disney's.
Why spend AAA-money on someone else's IP, if the license-holder is just going to dilute the market by letting other developers and publishers have the brand?

Sony/Insomniac almost certainly demanded exclusivity on Spider-Man. There hasn't been another Spider-Man game announced or published since 2014, when they used to publish a new one pretty much every year or every other year.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Why spend AAA-money on someone else's IP, if the license-holder is just going to dilute the market by letting other developers and publishers have the brand?

Sony/Insomniac almost certainly demanded exclusivity on Spider-Man. There hasn't been another Spider-Man game announced or published since 2014, when they used to publish a new one pretty much every year or every other year.
Yea but Spider-Man =/= Star Wars. So that's a false equivalency. If EA was making Obi-Wan games, sure. But they are not. They are making Star Wars games.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea but Spider-Man =/= Star Wars. So that's a false equivalency. If EA was making Obi-Wan games, sure. But they are not. They are making Star Wars games.
The problem is that it is difficult to split up the characters in the Star Wars universe like the ones in the Marvel universe. Most publishers will probably take more of an all-or-nothing approach to the IP. An Obi-Wan game loses its value if there's any other Jedi game competing with it.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next Battlefield in..... 2022?
Was hoping for a new one at NextBox/PS5 launch.. that doesn't add up, considering how bad Battlefield V sold.
Here's to hoping we get a next gen patch for Battlefield V.

As a guy that bought Battlefront 1 and 2 at launch.. I want this to be the end of the line for it. Just leave Dice to do what they want to... in Battlefield. Don't distract them with side projects.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
There is new Star Wars game in development that will be released before end of fiscal year 2022. But that is probably that canceled Visceral game that is being reworked.

OP
OP
Aokiji

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Next Battlefield in..... 2022?
Was hoping for a new one at NextBox/PS5 launch.. that doesn't add up, considering how bad Battlefield V sold.
Here's to hoping we get a next gen patch for Battlefield V.
Next BFi between April '21 & March '22. I fully expect next gen support for BFV.

There is new Star Wars game in development that will be released before end of fiscal year 2022. But that is probably that canceled Visceral game that is being reworked.

Yes, that is EA Motive's game, the game they took over from Visceral.

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Regarding the future of Star Wars...

If it isn't EA it will probably be Activision. They likely want a Destiny replacement and the Star Wars IP is perfect for that.

A dark horse would be Bethesda. They have a lot of talented FPS studios who's games underperform. Having the Star Wars IP would be huge for them. Plus we might actually get Star Wars games on Switch which would be cool

The best case scenario is a case by case basis situation.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So...

Next Battlefield = Fall 2021
Next Star Wars game = Before April 2022

Yeah...i don't see this being Battlefront III then. Specially if DICE is working on both.

If support will continue for Battlefront II, they may as well add cross-play so that the PC version doesn't look like a graveyard.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Damn no new Battlefield game until at least April 2021, this oddly makes me more motivated to get back into BF5 assuming they will be supporting it for a good portion of this time gap.

Brutalitops

Dec 6, 2017
Battlefield V Complete at PS5 launch will be a great stop gap assuming that happens. The game has been slowly coming along to a good place and with another year minimum guaranteed support (possibly 2) the future looks bright for BFV.

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
Oh, I really hoped there would be a new Battlefield to the Start of the Next Gen.
I really loved playing BF4 on PS4 Launch. It was a Game everyone had and everyone played.
I would take a new Titanfall at PS5 Launch too ;)