• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
A Carlin set never sounded like a homeless man yelling to drink full and descend. CK's just did.

giphy.gif

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This is what is kind of annoying in this thread. Some people are just coming in with different perspectives of what is funny or what is or isn't crossing a line and automatically all these posters have to respond so inflammatory and dismissive. There is seemingly no point to this thread other than outrage towards Louis CK (whom personally I don't have the highest opinion of atm).

There's no valid reason to think the comments that are the subject of this thread are funny.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
do y'all wear "What Would Carlin Do?" bracelets or something?

the dude isn't alive anymore. Don't pretend to speak for him and who he would have been today. Times change, and he very well could have updated his material. You know, to stay relevant. Instead of relying on hackneyed concepts from yesteryear.
Yup. Despite being a high-tech low-life, Carlin was something of a modern man.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

Kaloskatoa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is sad, havent found his jokes before this to be in poor taste. I was ready to forgive louis for what he has done before but he aint helping

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Jay Mohr for throwing his hat in the ring to the CK defense force. Not linking the tweets but there are a handful being posted right now.

Oct 25, 2017
i really should make one of my new year's resolutions to spend less time entertaining the rambling of profoundly mediocre men

this set doesn't offend me, rather it bores me - contrary to what conservatives may tell you, bigotry is not "the new punk rock", it's the unending status quo we've had to deal with our whole lives, and after a while comments like those just fade into a grey malaise

i'm more irritated by these men acting like they're ~special~ and whining about how people aren't forced to listen to their milquetoast opinions shared by countless other functionally identical people

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I was a big fan of his back in the day and whenever I'd see him in something, like Parks & Rec or whatever, I'd be way more interested in checking it out. Now after the allegations, his obviously hollow confession/apology, and this bit, he's just another old man complaining about young people being smart enough to not fall for his bullshit and demanding more of him to be "forgiven" by the general public that makes me sad when I see him in old stuff now. It's just easier for him to double down on not learning from what happened and to embrace the new right wing audience he'll get that will fade away once nobody cares about what he has to say.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck LCK. I remember a buddy of mine trying to sell me on his comedy and going "ya'll just don't understand comedy" when I told him I don't find bigoted and mean-spirited shitheads "hilarious".

Starvigil

Oct 30, 2017
The whole bit is fucked up. Not only the transphobic shit but then also make fun of kids who survived a school shooting?

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Every cretin that brings up Carlin can't discern the difference between a comedian's tone and a comedian's content. If Carlin were still alive, I'm sure he'd drag Louie over this garbage.

Lackless

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every cretin that brings up Carlin can't discern the difference between a comedian's tone and a comedian's content. If Carlin were still alive, I'm sure he'd drag Louie over this garbage.

If George Carlin was still alive, he would be dragged through the mud as well. Just take a glance at the George Carlin thread today that had to be locked.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
If George Carlin was still alive, he would be dragged through the mud as well. Just take a glance at the George Carlin thread today that had to be locked.
We just had this discussion.

Carlin was not the frozen in time and out of context icon you people want him to be. He was more than willing to admit when shit didn't work and could adapt accordingly.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fuck LCK. I remember a buddy of mine trying to sell me on his comedy and going "ya'll just don't understand comedy" when I told him I don't find bigoted and mean-spirited shitheads "hilarious".
that exact exchange is pretty much how the conversation on this forum went when Dave Chappelle's Equanimity and The Bird Revelation specials dropped and included some really shitty remarks

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

I just did, and I don't see it. People can tell the differce in intent, and they can tell the difference between punching up and punching down.

That Louie CK thing is hateful in a way that Carlin wasn't toward marginalized people.

Oh, and let's not forget that Carlin never non-apologized for waving his dick at people because he didn't actually do that shit in the first place.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta be real, it's a bummer to me how shit of a person Louis turned out to be. Louie as a show was super inspiring to me as an aspiring screenwriter, and the ways he figured out how to get his content out was something. And then he's just another in the long line of shitty men doing shitty things and now appealing to an awful demographic to remain relevant.

Fuck you, Louis.
Yeah, same. At least you can take the good things he did (like you said, his methods of content distribution) and use them yourself.

But yeah otherwise he can fuck off into obscurity.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
Man, this is painful to read about, especially because it felt like his response seemed better than most at the time of his accusations. He didn't demean or discredit his accusers, he was just like, yes, I did this. Yes, it was wrong and fucked up. I'm going to walk away from public life and these business prospects and work on myself.

And now he's making jokes at the expense of shooting victims? Trans people? When he got to the Asian man bit you could tell he was just trying to be offensive for its own sake. But this is a far cry from the craftsmanship he exhibited as recently as 2017. This is pathetic. He could have come back from this. He could have used his comedy to help the world instead of just piling on the little guy. Maybe he feels like he was treated unfairly. Bet the women he exposed himself to felt they were treated unfairly as well. Fuck you, Louis C.K.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man, this is painful to read about, especially because it felt like his response seemed better than most at the time of his accusations. He didn't demean or discredit his accusers, he was just like, yes, I did this. Yes, it was wrong and fucked up. I'm going to walk away from public life and these business prospects and work on myself.

And now he's making jokes at the expense of shooting victims? Trans people? When he got to the Asian man bit you could tell he was just trying to be offensive for its own sake. But this is a far cry from the craftsmanship he exhibited as recently as 2017. This is pathetic. He could have come back from this. He could have used his comedy to help the world instead of just piling on the little guy. Maybe he feels like he was treated unfairly. Bet the women he exposed himself to felt they were treated unfairly as well. Fuck you, Louis C.K.
It's sad to me that the bar for white powerful men who abuse said power is so low, "at least he didn't demean or discredit his accusers" is among the best in category, despite a refusal to actually apologize for what was done.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Reading Jaime Kenndy's tweets is like listening to a sad drunk

TheBaldEmperor

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are you really surprised that the Jay Mohrs and Doug Stanhopes of the world are rushing to his defense?

I was more taken aback when someone like Erica Rhodes backed him.

Jay has his faults but had seemed to be all about positivity and shinning a light in this stupid world lately. He's super anti-Trump. So I guess I am surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.