• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Do you ever get the feeling that if O.J. Simpson got behind a microphone and did a 15 minute comedy bit / confession to killing his wife that people would claim we weren't contextualizing the jokes correctly?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
There isn't much discussion going on if people who disagree are getting banned. May aswell close the thread
What do they disagree about exactly? When you make it vague it's pretty easy to make it seem like flippant bans for a simple "disagreement".

It's people sticking their necks out so they can say transphobia is fine and dead school children are hilarious. Especially when it comes from someone with a history of sexual assault.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
"There's no discussion going on"

Yeah, it's just literally 30 pages of all bans

I'm not going to go back and read the last 30 pages. The vibe from the last several is that the majority of posters all agree this is awful but the odd poster who says it's funny get banned. Doesn't look like there is anything to discuss if we're all agreeing and those who don't catch a ban.

Anyway my hot take...

I like Louis's comedy, and I don't think there should be any barriers to comedy, but these 2 bits in the op are just lazy. The comment section to the full routine on YouTube is full of people saying words like "snowflake", "faggot" and "triggered". I had no idea Louis fanbase was so shitty

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boy it sure is odd that whenever people start getting banned for transphobia we start to get people coming in these threads saying that the thread should be closed. I wonder why???

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not going to go back and read the last 30 pages. The vibe from the last several is that the majority of posters all agree this is awful but the odd poster who says it's funny get banned. Doesn't look like there is anything to discuss if we're all agreeing and those who don't catch a ban.

Anyway my hot take...

I like Louis's comedy, and I don't think there should be any barriers to comedy, but these 2 bits in the op are just lazy. The comment section to the full routine on YouTube is full of people saying words like "snowflake", "faggot" and "triggered". I had no idea Louis fanbase was so shitty
There's been a ton of discussion about what should be acceptable in comedy and what should not. There are plenty of people who didn't get banned who don't exactly have the position of "this is always wrong".

This is coming from someone who has actually been a part of the thread for many of those pages.

But "it's funny" is not a discussion, it's supporting outright transphobia under the guise of a joke.
Boy it sure is odd that whenever people start getting banned for transphobia we start to get people coming in these threads saying that the thread should be closed. I wonder why??? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?
Also the people who come in with "why are you asking questions?! What's your motive?!" Takes which is just as rich.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Anyway my hot take...

If you actually read the thread you'll realize the majority of the people in here were Louis CK fans but are now repulsed by him.

YouTube comments. Truly the best barometer of fandom. Lol. You do realize YouTube comments across the board are like that on most things? Of course these altright shitbags and edgelords are lapping this up. But I guess those are his new fans now.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The complete lack of self-awareness in regard to privilege (and the lack of anything resembling empathy) makes this piece of shit look like nothing but a swaggering bully. I mean, he really took the time to put together a rant about young people engaging in self-discovery rather than debauchery as if he never once thought about how fucking ridiculous and shitty his premise is.

If you are going to be an asshole, at least be funny. Humor of his style sort of relies on a "it's funny because it's true" element, and he seems to be working in opposition to that, so it comes off as just an asshole on stage for no reason other than to be an asshole.

MegaMix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's really no point in saying this except to support an asshole who's being mean and out of touch just for the sake of being mean and out of touch. So, uh, probably don't.
I say it because I find the joke funny. The stereotype of teens were often seen as "rebellious" and "IDGAF", but they portrayed as sensitive and acting adult.

And the discussion continues.

Well it IS a message board.

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State
And the discussion continues.
mini-honey-pot-dipper.jpg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I say it because I find the joke funny. The stereotype of teens were often seen as "rebellious" and "IDGAF", but they portrayed as sensitive and acting adult.

Well it IS a message board.
Except that's not what's happening. He's angrily talking down to them and mocking their efforts to, yenno, not be killed.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Anyway my hot take...

It's the right-wing martyr effect. People who were never fans of his to begin with are fans of his now. They're going to rally around him as a champion of their cause.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just remember what we're talking about when people pop in to say it's funny and bitch about all the bans "just because of a differing opinion."

Endless stream of fuckboys.

Oct 25, 2017
Louis CK was someone that a bunch of people told me to check out and I just never got around to doing so. I'm glad I didn't. This is the laziest shit.

Deleted member 20603

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God forbid you have any sympathy toward kids whose friends and peers were shot and then tried to make the world a better place. What a sad sack of shit of a caveman. Don't hide behind comedy like it gives you a free pass to be a shitlord

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
God forbid you have any sympathy toward kids whose friends and peers were shot and then tried to make the world a better place. What a sad sack of shit of a caveman. Don't hide behind comedy like it gives you a free pass to be a shitlord
B...but you can say whatever you want if it's "comedy." It's a medium that erases all responsibility. /s

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring mod post
George Carlin joked about child worship, shootings, and rape over 15-20 years ago. Louis C.K. has always been heavily influenced by Carlin. Alot of his bits are Carlin-esq taken to the even further extreme. Unfortunately, I don't believe comedians like Carlin, and even more extreme comedians like Sam Kinison, would be accepted today either and the world would have missed their brilliant satire.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
George Carlin joked about child worship, shootings, and rape over 15-20 years ago. Louis C.K. has always been heavily influenced by Carlin. Alot of his bits are Carlin-esq taken to the even further extreme. Unfortunately, I don't believe comedians like Carlin, and even more extreme comedians like Sam Kinison, would be accepted today either and the world would have missed their brilliant satire.
I've said this before and I'll say it again, evoking Carlin and Kinison for this kind of shit is unfair and gross. You erase the fact that Carlin was a comedian who was actually willing to evolve with the times and that he also wasn't against admitting when his humor fucked up and the audience called him out on it. He died before social media really took off, but he was around with the internet long enough to where he did speak out against people trying to attribute fucked up shit to him, which suggests he did have limits.

Using Kinison is even more fucked up when his untimely death ended his career so relatively quickly that we'll never know how he would have evolved his comedy. Sure, maybe he'd have gone the path of successful comedians like Seinfeld and Rock who actively avoid audiences that would challenge them to evolve from what previously worked for them, but this is also a guy who already underwent a major personal transformation. It's horseshit to suggest that he wouldn't have done it again and evolved his comedy accordingly.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Did George Carlin also have pent up rage that he took out in his set over being called out for sexually abusing women while dressing it up as jokes?

Cuz that still would have been wrong then.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop dragging the name of George Carlin through the mud that Louis CK has taken up residence in, you god damn ingrates.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017

No offense, but it doesn't seem really useful to just say "this person joked about x". Like, what was the joke? What was he trying to say? Context matters. Simply mentioning the subject isn't enough to prove a point 😅

Edit:typos

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
do y'all wear "What Would Carlin Do?" bracelets or something?

the dude isn't alive anymore. Don't pretend to speak for him and who he would have been today. Times change, and he very well could have updated his material. You know, to stay relevant. Instead of relying on hackneyed concepts from yesteryear.

Status
Not open for further replies.