• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 50909

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 15, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility over a series of posts; antagonizing other members
Hello person who joined 2 weeks ago with 21 posts, but has seen countless other threads, and bitches about the community, what is the name of your next alt going to be?
I've been lurking on this site since the exodus and was lurking on gaf for over a decade with maybe 50 total posts there

if you're gonna accuse me of being an alt have some fucking evidence shithead

edit: this is also rich as fuck coming from somebody who restricts access to their user profile
don't throw stones if you live in a glass house you fucking goober

Last edited:

Bacon

Oct 26, 2017
I've been lurking on this site since the exodus and was lurking on gaf for over a decade with maybe 50 total posts there

If you don't like it just don't read the thread? Like how is this so hard.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
5309dd45af227debd844e8bad15e6427.gif

Bring the heat waaaaaaay down, y'all

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

edit: this is also rich as fuck coming from somebody who restricts access to their user profile
don't throw stones if you live in a glass house you fucking goober
Can't imagine why this thread is so massive.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Yea there really is no point in having a thread. There is no discussion, what he said was garbage and that's all there is to it.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
It's mostly shockingly unoriginal and indeed seems aimed at a group that isn't as critical.
I don't mind jokes that are harder than what most people here can stomach. But they have to be good and original.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The thing about his "these parkland guys nearly got shot and died but why don't you all have mercy on me for when I lost out on my Netflix special" like couldn't he do something that felt even remotely in perspective, like talking about death threats? Surely dude has gotten death threats. If he hasn't yet he has to be getting them now surely?

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
That new material makes me sad I liked him before and watched his all damn specials too.

CK turned into a parody of a MRA/niceguy with all the shitty conservative flavors.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
This thread has a point, as do so many decried as only being reasons for outrage. To wit:

1. A number of people have come in and said oh, I used to like him, this feels different, etc. Whether or not it is any different, or if those people are simply now in a different context, doesn't matter; the thread has served to teach them something.
2. It has allowed some discussion of lines in comedy and changing cultural context.
3. To be quite fucking honest, it's given folks a nice glimpse into the population of the forum.

There's probably more, but if we could just put this tired-ass "this thread has no purpose" nonsense to bed after 1400 posts, that'd be great.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
This thread has a point, as do so many decried as only being reasons for outrage. To wit:

1. A number of people have come in and said oh, I used to like him, this feels different, etc. Whether or not it is any different, or if those people are simply now in a different context, doesn't matter; the thread has served to teach them something.
2. It has allowed some discussion of lines in comedy and changing cultural context.
3. To be quite fucking honest, it's given folks a nice glimpse into the population of the forum.

There's probably more, but if we could just put this tired-ass "this thread has no purpose" nonsense to bed after 1400 posts, that'd be great.

Plus there's nothing wrong with some grade A pure dunking.

Catharsis is good.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the Louis CK defence force would support Michelle Wolf or the Dixie Chicks.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Content aside, these jokes seem really lazy, even for him. I listen to it and it's like, "this guy was considered the king of comedy at some point?"

AlphaDump

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As a fan of Louise CK in the past, this new material fucking unacceptable. He comes off just so angry and passive aggressive towards the criticisms in his own life. So disappointing.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

No no no let's just go back to fucking thread whining instead, that's a lot more productive. Because clearly nothing good has come from any of the 29 pages, including dozens of idiots showing their asses who (at least temporarily) aren't going to be spreading transphobic and bigoted filth on the forum in other threads.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Rationalizing the use of transphobic rhetoric
If you can stop blowing hot air up your own ass for a second

Explain your previous defense of Roseanne when she turned out to be a raging bigot, because it seems connected to you defending vile shit in general. You also framed it as "She's a comedian! So what!".
She's mentally ill (+ has history of traumatic brain injury) with an online addiction that just furthered her descent into paranoid, xenophobic nonsense. It doesn't excuse her, but this concept of inherent scumminess is something I see a lot on this board and it strikes me as a shortcut to establish mostly valid opinions without actually considering the humanity behind it.

That being said, Louie is being an insecure asshole, and his negative mood is likely exacerbated by outside factors some of which we are aware of and complicit in. It's the Faustian bargain you sign when you become famous, and we're seeing what happens when fame becomes a negative for people. This isn't a Spacey thing, where he brought attention on himself presumably to distract from assault charges, but something Louie does and has done to pay the bills. He's not trying to make a comeback (unless it comes out that this leak was some backfired PR attempt to court MRAs), he's just doing cheap, shitty jokes for a couple bucks. He lost $35 million in a day and I'm sure that number just got bigger as 2018 went on. I'm not gonna harangue an angry 50 year old comedian for trying to appeal to other angry 50 year olds. People gotta make rent and Louie isn't running for political office anytime soon. It sucks for fans of his, but if it can happen to Gallagher, it can happen to anyone.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
She's mentally ill (+ has history of traumatic brain injury) with an online addiction that just furthered her descent into paranoid, xenophobic nonsense. It doesn't excuse her, but this concept of inherent scumminess is something I see a lot on this board and it strikes me as a shortcut to establish mostly valid opinions without actually considering the humanity behind it.

That being said, Louie is being an insecure asshole, and his negative mood is likely exacerbated by outside factors some of which we are aware of and complicit in. It's the Faustian bargain you sign when you become famous, and we're seeing what happens when fame becomes a negative for people. This isn't a Spacey thing, where he brought attention on himself presumably to distract from assault charges, but something Louie does and has done to pay the bills. He's not trying to make a comeback (unless it comes out that this leak was some backfired PR attempt to court MRAs), he's just doing cheap, shitty jokes for a couple bucks. He lost $35 million in a day and I'm sure that number just got bigger as 2018 went on. I'm not gonna harangue an angry 50 year old comedian for trying to appeal to other angry 50 year olds. People gotta make rent and Louie isn't running for political office anytime soon. It sucks for fans of his, but if it can happen to Gallagher, it can happen to anyone.
Ah yes, the poor millionaire just trying to pay his bills by telling jokes about how stupid trans people are and lamenting about lame school shooting survivors are.

He lost $35 million in a day by being a disgusting creep and deciding his favorite past time was whipping out his dick with out notice and jerking off in front of unsuspecting women. He's still reportedly currently worth $25 million. Soooo.....
02inuOo.gif

As far as Roseanne goes. I did not know how her head trauma history, and yeah if definitely seems as if she has an online addiction. I dunno. I don't know her. She's a celebrity. I'm just a random blue collared dude on the internet. It's hard for me to feel sorry for people that have everything and behave like absolute fucking assholes, and I'm also pretty sure what I personally think has absolutely zero effect on their much more important lives.

Deleted member 31333

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory drive-by; Ignoring modpost
Are people really getting banned for finding offensive comedy funny now?

Is it not okay to laugh at something even if you realize it is inappropriate in real life? I thought professional comedians had a pass to be offensive?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yo, this sounds like the shillest thing ever. Just straight up pandering to the Murica crowd in a way that is just sad. Literally scraping the bottom of the barrel just to have an audience to present to. The school shooting "jokes" are more telling to how he's trying to make a living than the "I identify..." jokes. When you're making jokes out of kids that survived a mass murder. Dude. Fucking what.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sorry I'm complicit n LCK descending into bigotry?

Leland Palmer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the poor millionaire just trying to pay his bills by telling jokes about how stupid trans people are and lamenting about lame school shooting survivors are.

He lost $35 million in a day by being a disgusting creep and deciding his favorite past time was whipping out his dick with out notice and jerking off in front of unsuspecting women. He's still reportedly currently worth $25 million. Soooo.....
02inuOo.gif

As far as Roseanne goes. I did not know how her head trauma history, and yeah if definitely seems as if she has an online addiction. I dunno. I don't know her. She's a celebrity. I'm just a random blue collared dude on the internet. It's hard for me to feel sorry for people that have everything and behave like absolute fucking assholes, and I'm also pretty sure what I personally think has absolutely zero effect on their much more important lives.

Roseanne also has a multiple personality disorder. She's a legit insane person.

Deleted member 7777

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Is it not okay to laugh at something even if you realize it is inappropriate in real life? I thought professional comedians had a pass to be offensive?

It just wasn't funny.

If his jokes were insightful vs lazy trash, I think this would be a totally different discussion.

This was the equivellant of your drunk uncle ranting about "them gays".

And I say this as someone who used to call Louis CK my favorite comedian.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

People are being banned for being dismissive of a sensitive subject.

No one's stopping you from laughing at it, that's your own thing, but this isn't really the place to go "lol i laughed".

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Laughing at/rooting on/supporting transphobic content warrants a ban, yes. What is hard to understand about that?

Not to mention the obviously angry and disgruntled messaging/delivery.

Oct 25, 2017

You deliberately framed this question in the vaguest possible terms to make the rest of us seem unreasonable even though there's thirty fucking pages of explanation about what people are specifically taking exception to in this stand up routine.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

I can't speak to the whole set but this clip is just plain not funny. On top of making demeaning transphobic comments, he tops it off with a joke about school shooting survivors. What the fuck kind of person does that? What does it say about you if you laugh? It's not funny. You got kids out here worried if they're going to die at school instead of feeling safe and you mock them. You've got people out here trying to build up the courage to be who they really are and demand the respect that should come with that and you want to mock them. That's not good comedy.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA

As mentioned, it's been been stated thousands of times here that people are shrugging off glorified rants against school shooting victims and transphobic people as jokes and are justifiably being given bans for it.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017

It's not offensive comedy. It's bigoted talking points formatted as "jokes" so people like yourself will call them harmless. There's nothing comedic about them. All they are is punching down insults towards queer people and the victims of gun violence. People who find that shit funny and excusable are rightfully banned. Trying to act like we're stupid and don't understand comedy is a losing battle. As much as people like yourself want to act like it's untrue, progressive people know what comedy is. Minorities and the disenfranchised in general like to laugh at themselves. I'm black and queer and enjoy a laugh and don't mind a well crafted one. But we can tell the difference between a comedic bit and outright being insulted.
This is all without even confronting the fact that this "comedy" is coming out of the self-righteous mouth of a sex offender who has faced basically zero consequences for masturbating in front of women.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

You're on a discussion forum, not in the real world. Know the rules. Of course you can find anything you want funny, just don't admit it on a site where the people controlling the bans don't. If "There's no such thing as Asian males. Just Asian women with huge clits." is funny to you, maybe don't even admit that in the real world. That isn't even edgy comedy. It's just pure stupid.

Thornton Reed

Oct 30, 2017
You're on a discussion forum, not in the real world. Know the rules. Of course you can find anything you want funny, just don't admit it on a site where the people controlling the bans don't. If "There's no such thing as Asian males. Just Asian women with huge clits." is funny to you, maybe don't even admit that in the real world. That isn't even edgy comedy. It's just pure stupid.

There isn't much discussion going on if people who disagree are getting banned. May aswell close the thread

Status
Not open for further replies.