• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
comedy has always punched down, they aren't freedom fighters, don't idolise comedy as some pure entertainment

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Well we have this expected take on the matter:

I'm not sure either of these are about Louis, but if they really are, then I would say the first one isn't a defense of Louis or any other "edgy" comedian. In fact it's an indictment of their common complaint - that "PC Culture gone mad" is taking their freeze peach away. He's saying that's a bullshit thing for comedians and their fans to say when they get called out. And I'd agree - freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences, etc.

Diunx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Trolling and excusing transphobic rhetoric; account in junior phase
Lol are they really banning people who find this funny? And these aren't statements they are jokes.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What' worse than him is the audience eating it up. Good lord, launch that venue into the sun.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do a quick check on the post history before engaging someone who is just trolling. Report and move on.

If it's obvious they're a fucking moron (Diunx), there's no point in bothering with them.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The funny thing is that the Parkland survivors getting involved in social/political movements is actually interesting, unlike lazily regurgitating right wing talking points in a stand up routine.

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
What you want me to look up the definition of a joke for you? I'm sure you can do that yourself.
You post history has defending Joe Rogan, rationalizing rape culture in old songs, defending Seinfeld, downplaying possible sexism in Forever 21 ads, rationalizing NWO Jew conspiracy theories, defending workplace sexism, victim blaming, downplaying the repercussions of boxing, downplaying Stanley Kubrik's assholery, complaining about outrage culture, supporting violence against children as punishment, defending the NPC meme, supporting Aziz Ansari, using "retarded" as a slur, complaining about teenagers being lazy, and downplaying racism.

I'm pretty sure if I looked up the definition of joke it'd just say "Diunx"

edit: oh, two weeks off for someone who has never been a positive contribution to the site. That'll teach 'em

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
There were some attempts at jokes in there, but man that was unfunny.

I guess when you know there's too many people probably not laughing but agreeing with everything he's saying, kinda takes the fun out of it.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You post history has defending Joe Rogan, rationalizing rape culture in old songs, defending Seinfeld, downplaying possible sexism in Forever 21 ads, rationalizing NWO Jew conspiracy theories, defending workplace sexism, victim blaming, downplaying the repercussions of boxing, downplaying Stanley Kubrik's assholery, complaining about outrage culture, supporting violence against children as punishment, defending the NPC meme, supporting Aziz Ansari, using "retarded" as a slur, complaining about teenagers being lazy, and downplaying racism.

I'm pretty sure if I looked up the definition of joke it'd just say "Diunx"
You just used those receipts as kindling, damn!
It's Long Island. You'd have to launch Nassau and Suffolk counties into the sun.
Would that be a loss?

Oct 25, 2017
The funniest thing about the war agains political correctness is that in most part the people doing this are literally reinforcing the ideas of the bigoted politicians in power.

In other words, complain about trans people is being as politicially correct in a Trump world as possible.

Politically Compliant

this is an extremely good take

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
What you want me to look up the definition of a joke for you? I'm sure you can do that yourself.
tenor.gif

Don't come back.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I wish people got more than one or two weeks off for repeated history of transphobia here, but I remember elsewhere where it used to be 0 days off even, so good for the mild progress at least

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
"You can tell how horrible of a person you are by how long it took you to masturbate after 9/11"

This was a bit by him. It's the kind of dark humor I can get behind because it wasn't about the victims, it was about him.

These now... Nope.

Oct 25, 2017
I doubt that Louis frequents 4chan, but the fact that his mind goes to the same place when attempting to make a joke about trans people is pretty telling.

Oct 25, 2017
anyone who enjoyed this set would probably spend all their time watching those machine generated spiderman-elsa videos on youtube if they were born a decade later

I doubt that Louis frequents 4chan, but the fact that his mind goes to the same place when attempting to make a joke about trans people is pretty telling.

4chan is full of boomers now, tbh i wouldn't be surprised if he actually did frequent it

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Lol are they really banning people who find this funny? And these aren't statements they are jokes.
What's the joke and how is said joke not just a statement of how he feels?
Barry is so good although the 2nd show I saw was mostly office workers and older folk but he still made it work.

I feel like Louis's quality was going down before he even got caught... like 2013 or so when he ended with schindlers list on his 'word' tour was the last quality era of 2007-2013 but I do agree with your fencing timeline. After everything that happened in 2017 I feel like he just stopped trying to mask the racism/bigotry. It's like he just ran out of content and doesn't care any more.

Edit: I also don't think he's necesarily a racist of bigot but he says ignorant racist and bigot bits for comedy. It just doesn't work for him when there isn't a joke there.

And even though there was a plethora of horrible writing in lucky louie.. that cast was killer.
Agree up and down with this post. The quality was going down for sure. That set at the Comedy Store in LA was ehhh. He definitely plays with racism and bigotry 'for the lulz' at the best of times. Now he can just do it for real, all the time like a fucking loser.

Todd Barry is just so funny on his feet. There's really nothing like being in the room while he does crowd work. It's electric, and not something a camera can easily catch.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
I'm not sure either of these are about Louis, but if they really are, then I would say the first one isn't a defense of Louis or any other "edgy" comedian. In fact it's an indictment of their common complaint - that "PC Culture gone mad" is taking their freeze peach away. He's saying that's a bullshit thing for comedians and their fans to say when they get called out. And I'd agree - freedom of speech isn't freedom from consequences, etc.

That's how I read it, too.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
The Miami Herald's picked up the story. And, well, so did the parents of Parkland students.

https://www.miamiherald.com/entertainment/celebrities/article223760045.html

Fred Guttenberg, whose daughter Jaime was among those killed at Stoneman Douglas, also tweeted his disapproval.

"To anyone who knows Louis CK, please deliver this message for me," Guttenberg wrote. "My daughter was killed in the Parkland shooting. My son ran from the bullets. My wife and I deal with loss everyday. Why don't you come to my house and try out your new pathetic jokes?"

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
So is this thread just supposed to be an outrage circle jerk now that we're banning everyone who thinks any of this is funny?

Benita

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
User Banned (permanent): Antagonizing other members across multiple threads, accumulated infractions

Even if for some twisted reason you DO find it funny, coming into the thread at this stage, on a board with a sizeable trans community, and broadcasting that opinion is simply a slap in the face to people who find this sort of lazy "comedy" hurtful or offensive.

People aren't being banned for finding it funny, they're being banned for geefully coming in here to make the point that they find it funny.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.