• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I really don't get is his idea that anyone who wants you to use correct pronouns is lame to hang out with. LGBT people are the funnest to party with. Straight men just fuckin' smoke weed and watch Rick and Morty on repeat.
I mean you're not wrong about stupid assholes being stupid by calling correct pronoun naming people lame but what if I told you I'm a straight white male who's never even once smoked weed or willingly watched R&M? I know I'm basically #NotAllStraightMen but that was one hell of a very weird generalization.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
The "did you assume my gender" shit is not only awful, it's the laziest form of "humor" of the past few years. All it pretty much says is you're an asshole who can't come up with original, and actual funny, material anymore. But it's become the new "Conservative Humor" selling point since their typical racist and homophobic jokes actually receive a public outcry now.

The Parkland stuff is an inexcusable bait for attention though and that'll actually get a big outcry. This whole routine is just a "back in my day" and "today's kids aren't as tough as they used to be" old person yelling at cloud rant.

Oh and to all the "it's just a joke lighten up" people, insults to people based on who they are (gender identity) or things they can't control (being in or threatened by school shootings) aren't funny. People normally respond with "oh but the left insults and makes fun of Trump all the time". Yeah but Trump's criticism is based on his actions as he's in control of every single thing that he does that's worth insulting and roasting.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not really interested in breaking down a 2 minute CK joke in a thread like some type of essay.

I would just say that the bit starts with him setting the stage that he is old, he is "disappointed" in kids these days because they aren't idiots like the people he knew when he was their age. Now I don't know if he is really that much of a horrible person that he actually thinks that kids who are lobbying for gun control are "disappointments", but I guess in this day and age it's not all that unreasonable. Maybe after his exposè he got angry that he's a target and is just a ranting these days. Seems kinda odd to have bits/TV shows/characters were you're always the horrible person and not be self aware, but maybe he never was self aware or something? I always assume with this type of humor it's being self aware and absurdist, but that could be the wrong interpretation with CK, but based on how he reacted to everything it probably is
Why the fuck can't people just accept that this guy sucks and stop handing him excuses and outs.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what you think of the merits of the material or your first amendment right to say something or any other structural aspect of the bit, you should at least remember that all comedians who think of it as a structured art form will agree that the most powerful comedy - as social commentary and for potential laughs is about punching up.

It's about creating tension and commentary by speaking truth to power.

There's plenty of lateral and dismissive and ironic ways to punch down but even those benefit from some aspect of the comedians own weakness or vulnerability being exposed for the audience.

But there's a pretty precipitous slope between saying a parkland victim pushed an imaginary fat friend in front of a bullet and an adult calling a clumsy toddler a "f***** ret***" - and tbh I am not sure which direction up is in that scenario.

And when you know your audience is not going to chuckle at the subtle irony or glib commentary then you must know that you're simply throwing them red meat to appease them because you also know they'd eat you too if you stumbled.

Oct 27, 2017
I always liked previous Louis CK humor because he felt like he was pointing out flaws on certain subjects and how we view them or how things changed within it since he was a kid. He was able to take an offensive subject and make a joke without it being mean spirited or offensive. He was masterful at it.

This bit in the OP just sounds mean spirited and salty about the people that took down his career. It isn't a joke on a touchy subject, it's legit just venting ignorance and anger at the generation that he thinks ruined his career. He wants to blame that group of people rather than blame himself.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Louis CK has always been a trash can. He just got a pass up until recently for unclear reasons but i always hated the motherfucker

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Whoa.. edgy Louis - lets hear more..

he sounds/acts like a man that woke up from a 10 year sleep trying to do the same shit in a different world... I'm all for 1st amendment but any chance of a comeback is fucking dead and by roasting teenagers nonetheless.. to use some of LCK favorite quotes/words "go fuck yourself in your mothers cunt... Louis CK"

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Regardless what you think of the merits of the material or your first amendment right to say something or any other structural aspect of the material, you should at least remember that all comedians who think of it as a structured art form will agree that the most powerful comedy - as social commentary and for potential laughs is about punching up.

There's plenty of lateral and dismissive and ironic ways to punch down but even those benefit from some aspect of the comedians own weakness or vulnerability being exposed for the audience.

But there's a pretty precipitous slope between saying a parkland victim pushed an imaginary fat friend in front of a bullet and an adult calling a clumsy toddler a "f***** ret***" - and tbh I am not sure which direction up is in that scenario.
Both of those suck. The R word is the definition of punching down.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
A 48-minute audio recording of C.K. surfaced late Sunday on YouTube. It was described as a set delivered Dec. 16 at Governor's Comedy Club in Levittown.

Levittown, huh? A little on-the-nose there, bud.

tickytackyhouses.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the Lucky Louie scenes are awful (both comedy wise and for the f-bombs). I can easily see the view that the post-Shameless era, from 2007-2017 (before he got caught) was a ruse and he was always a creep, but I feel like people have to really cherrypick and decontextualize from that 10 years of work in order to produce that narrative. To me, there are three "eras" -- pre-Shameless (the O&A/Lucky Louie years and all that came before), post-Shameless/the "fame" years (2007-2017), and whatever you want to call this new nihilistic/bitter/conservative-pandering shit. And in that 2007-2017 era, I think he was on the right side of things and coming from a better place. That's the Louis that got in trouble for badmouthing Trump, and produced the bits I linked to.

I legit respect the opinions of people who don't "fence" his work up that way and just see a common thread of assholish behavior, though. Even in that 10 years, he clearly loved skirting the line and with the power of hindsight, none of it looks good.

Love crowd work too, and have also seen Todd Barry twice! Thankfully I avoided his attention.
Barry is so good although the 2nd show I saw was mostly office workers and older folk but he still made it work.

I feel like Louis's quality was going down before he even got caught... like 2013 or so when he ended with schindlers list on his 'word' tour was the last quality era of 2007-2013 but I do agree with your fencing timeline. After everything that happened in 2017 I feel like he just stopped trying to mask the racism/bigotry. It's like he just ran out of content and doesn't care any more.

Edit: I also don't think he's necesarily a racist of bigot but he says ignorant racist and bigot bits for comedy. It just doesn't work for him when there isn't a joke there.

And even though there was a plethora of horrible writing in lucky louie.. that cast was killer.

Last edited:

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Regardless of what you think of the merits of the material or your first amendment right to say something or any other structural aspect of the bit, you should at least remember that all comedians who think of it as a structured art form will agree that the most powerful comedy - as social commentary and for potential laughs is about punching up.

And when you know your audience is not going to chuckle at the subtle irony or glib commentary then you must know that you're simply throwing them red meat to appease them because you also know they'd eat you too if you stumbled.
Is this "punching up, punching down" actually a comedian thing, or is it something progressives have asserted should apply to comedy in the last few years?

The comedians I know love to tell the worst jokes, especially to each other. The more transgressive, the better. And nothing is more transgressive than punching down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_baby_jokes

Whether we the audience should accept it is another thing. But I don't really think comedians think about punching up/down much.

Euron

Oct 27, 2017
I think the "joke" if you will is that kids aren't being kids anymore, and that they are in such a fucked up world that they have to take time out of their kid life to be talking to congress about making their kid lives less stressful to live, and telling adults they want to be more than just their boys or girls lagel. Back then, they were going to parties and breaking the law nonstop. I guess it is crazy to think about when I used to grow up in a time where underage drinking was the biggest problem.
The problem is, the bit doesn't come across as this at all. The underlying point of this entire segment is "kids are too sensitive today". So instead of coming across as "what kind of fucked up society is it when kids who should be out doing jello shots and day drinking are instead testifying in front of congress so they don't get gunned down during a math test" it comes across as "who gives a shit about you pussys, go drink and toughen up like my generation" which is ignorant and insulting. Nothing about that type of presentation is funny, even in an Edgelord type of way. And that's all disregarding the transphobic nonsense from earlier.

Oct 27, 2017
This is an act from a man that knows he will never be in hollywood again. He will always have an audience just like Bill Cosby could have kept touring if it wasn't for his health and like Andrew Dice Clay can still tour. But Netflix, and shit? gone
Wait, what? Why mention Dice along with a serial rapist? As far as I know Dice hasn't done anything wrong.

Also, Dice has been acting consistently these past few years.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
This is pretty crazy how you can turn heel just like that. I mean.. I always thought Louie was some sort of douchebag to tell you the truth but i was defending him cause he was also an amazing comedian, but then you hear that and suddenly everything he did before (being offensive, talking trash, going for the shock joke etc.." seems just hostile and flat in the context. Douchebag louie is probably the only Louie we'll see now cause there is no sympathy for him left.

Just so you know if you didn't see all of his tv shows etc... Louie was always in "youngsters are shit" mode. Always. In everything you can see from him.
But the way he's kinda flirting with a certain crowd here is new i think and it may be some sort of career salvation move.. That's pretty sad.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Is this "punching up, punching down" actually a comedian thing, or is it something progressives have asserted should apply to comedy in the last few years?

The comedians I know love to tell the worst jokes, especially to each other. The more transgressive, the better. And nothing is more transgressive than punching down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_baby_jokes

Whether we the audience should accept it is another thing. But I don't really think comedians think about punching up/down much.
They should. But most of America don't give a shit so I doubt they will. There is still a massive audience for this brand of trash.

Oct 26, 2017
Andy's twitter has been mentioned a few times already but I would recommend this small thread he posted earlier today. It's on point about how comedy has to grow and change alongside its audience:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes and I was using it to highlight comedy as having meaningful power to challenge or expose authority -not progressive -- since if progressives were in charge the same thesis would apply to them especially if they abused that power (and they would because that's the nature of power) , but it's a hundreds of years old observation (actually more since the Greeks talked about it - Plato thought comedy and laughter itself were boorish and undesirable mockery - even the mocking of innocent men by the gods - and comedy has evolved dramatically since the Renaissance and then even more so after the Enlightenment and is massively different now ). There is low comedy too and laughing at a fat kid creates real laughs. They are both comedy. But there's definitely one kind we try to teach our kids about.

I don't mean to suggest that there's only one kind.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Andy's twitter has been mentioned a few times already but I would recommend this small thread he posted earlier today. It's on point about how comedy has to grow and change alongside its audience:
This has been a huge problem for a ton of standup in the last 5-10 years. It tries to be edgy and dark for the sake of being edgy and dark, and is just awful. I can't even count how many times a new Netflix special would use the descriptor "edgy" which was #1 sign to avoid that shit. Not to play blame game, but I feel like Daniel Tosh becoming huge really fed this type of comedy. I can't stand most of it. However, I do feel like that train has slowly died down. Not as much as I'd like....but still slowing down.

This is all just based on my gut and feelings, so I could be way off.

Oct 27, 2017

To each other is punching sideways. A bunch of active comedians have come out on Twitter against this trash.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. Andy is great.

What makes his tweets about Louis stand out even more is that Louis was a longtime friend of both him and Conan. Conan gave Louis his first gig as a writer back on Late Night, if I remember correctly. So it's very telling for Andy to publicly shit on him like that.
IIRC, Louie said he was planning to to quit comedy altogether when Robert Smigel hired him for that first season of Conan.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To each other is punching sideways. A bunch of active comedians have come out on Twitter against this trash.
I will be curious to see if that's the reaction of comedy at large.

I just won't be surprised if we hear Joe Rogen, Bill Burr and some of the lesser known subjects grumble about how his comedy is fine, etc. It would be interesting to be proven wrong though.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comedians talking about comedy is worse than magicians ruining tricks. At least the mechanics of a trick are interesting and complex and objective.

There's basically two types of comedian (on a spectrum naturally) : naturally witty or funny people who extend it and craft it and practice and hone it -- and unfunny but hard working and dedicated bores who just practice and tune it till it's good. Both are worthwhile but the difference between Kevin Hart and Jerry Seinfeld in relaxed interviews is a good example of the gulf.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned: (1 month): Dismissing and Downplaying Transphobic remarks, and ignoring mod warning.
It's kind of impressive just how predictable he is.

What else is he supposed to say? I'm sorry, but there was nothing wrong with the fucking bit. I get it. CK is trash, but there is nothing wrong with that bit. Holy shit. And yes, Gervais is a predictable comedian. MOST comedians are on this exact wave, and you know it.

Deleted member 5159

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its curious cause my first impression of louis ck was bad, i thought he was too edgy and mean spirited. But a couple years after he became really big and with peer pressure and stuff i gave him another chance, really liked his louie show and became a fan.

When the fall came i was disappointed and wrote him off and now im thinking that my first impression was right on. funny how things work

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
What else is he supposed to say? I'm sorry, but there was nothing wrong with the fucking bit. I get it. CK is trash, but there is nothing wrong with that bit. Holy shit. And yes, Gervais is a predictable comedian. MOST comedians are one this exact wave, and you know it.
He just personally rubs me the wrong way and has nothing clever to share, yet he thinks he's dropping some sick enlightenment on everyone.

I've found plenty of his stuff funny in the past, and he gave us the comedy treasure trove that is Karl Pilkington. I just think he's a bit of an annoying tosser. I know I'm not alone in that.

I think he has pretty shit viewpoints in general. Do you agree with that Tweet or find it particularly interesting?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What else is he supposed to say? I'm sorry, but there was nothing wrong with the fucking bit. I get it. CK is trash, but there is nothing wrong with that bit. Holy shit. And yes, Gervais is a predictable comedian. MOST comedians are on this exact wave, and you know it.
What

Are you saying there's nothing wrong with Louie's bit in the OP or nothing wrong with what Ricky is saying?

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never be part of the "he was never funny" crowd because honestly I thought some of his specials were pretty good. His material wasn't genius but he had the skill of good and entertaining delivery.

However, I don't think any delivery could save..... whatever the fuck this is.

It's bad enough to me that he was back doing shows so soon after everything, but to come back this this garbage material is even worse.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Well a big part of humour nowadays is about being offensive, it's difficult to break new ground while playing it safe since most of those routines have been done to death already. Not trying to defend anyone here, Louis' new segments regarding transphobia and school shootings weren't funny or in any way original, which makes me sad as he used to be one of my fav comedians, and until 2 years ago a pretty liberal person overall. I gotta admit that apart from these segments there was some funny stuff in it about him losing slot of money etc. His delivery is always on point, but questionable now since, as some have previously stated, before he used to punch up and not down. Maybe it is a phase of bitterness due to the tough times he had to endure (deservedly), yet I am one who likes the idea of giving people second chances and really hope he turns around and realizes the errors as I can't truthfully believe he has been the alt-right comedian he seems to be right now.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017

The bit was incredibly lazy and unfunny. There's no logical progression from "kids don't party" to "its because of trans people" to "parkland" unless you're an incredibly hateful person. In addition, the first half of the joke is just the hateful attack helicopter joke from 4chan done worse. The second half isn't even a joke, it's just angrily yelling that he doesn't like that a school shooting survivor gets to be on the news.

Ricky Gervais could've said what he said while also saying "but it was lazy and unfunny", but he won't because he's just a troll at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
Comedians talking about comedy is worse than magicians ruining tricks. At least the mechanics of a trick are interesting and complex and objective.

There's basically two types of comedian (on a spectrum naturally) : naturally witty or funny people who extend it and craft it and practice and hone it -- and unfunny but hard working and dedicated bores who just practice and tune it till it's good. Both are worthwhile but the difference between Kevin Hart and Jerry Seinfeld in relaxed interviews is a good example of the gulf.
Most comedians seem to think if they give an inch on what is or isn't permissable than the whole world will come knocking and make everything off limits. Honestly, they defend their material just like some folks in the United States defend gun rights. It is stubborn, and stupid.

I know it took him 15 years, but even Eddie Murphy came out and apologized for all his gay slurs in his shows. Comedy isn't a sacred cow.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I listened to the bit in the OP. I saw Ricky's take. I agree, and MOST comedians are on this same wave. There is nothing wrong with the bit.
So the bit that made fun of trans people for being entitled, and survivors of school shootings for being too boring, and should should the fuck up because they're children. Nothing at all wrong with that bit?

SAME DUDE WHO WAS WHIPPING HIS DICK OUT AND JERKING OFF IN FRONT OF UNSUSPECTING WOMEN, THIS DUDE?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I listened to the bit in the OP. I saw Ricky's take. I agree, and MOST comedians are on this same wave. There is nothing wrong with the bit.
You're saying there's nothing wrong with being transphobic, to the point of literally mocking their voice? And trashing shooting victims for trying to change things so that there are less victims?

That bit?

What is even happening in this thread.

Deleted member 4274

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The bit was incredibly lazy and unfunny. There's no logical progression from "kids don't party" to "its because of trans people" (WHERE) to "parkland" unless you're an incredibly hateful person. In addition, the first half of the joke is just the hateful attack helicopter joke from 4chan done worse. The second half isn't even a joke, it's just angrily yelling that he doesn't like that a school shooting survivor gets to be on the news.

Ricky Gervais could've said what he said while also saying "but it was lazy and unfunny", but he won't because he's just a troll at this point.

Wait. What trans joke? He joked about "they/them". Where is the trans Joke? I don't follow 4 chan shit, so the helicopter shit is foreign to me. Was ALL of it unfunny. Yes. He didn't even sound confident in the joke. Does he sound like a cunt? Yes.

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
Well we have this expected take on the matter:

Is this necessarily a defense of Louie? The first Tweet reads like a response to people who are mad that he's getting flak for this, and it's basically my take when "free speech advocates" whine about all the stuff they can't say anymore. You can still say whatever you want, people are just going to call you an asshole now.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
He pulled an Evilore. There's money to be made and attention to be had by catering to the "fuck your feelings" crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.