• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
So I rattled this arround in my stupid head for 8 hours and resisted the urge to reply to this thread straight away and this is where I landed: lck previous stand up contained references to his own sexual deviencies it's now difficult to separate this materiel from the reality of the misdeeds that he has admitted to and appologised for. With that information it's now difficult for people to look at lck's material and class it as satire for me a comedy fan and somebody who believes strongly in free speech the the mod post in this thread did not sit well with me that being said this isn't my house and I'm a guest here so I'll leave my shoes at the door and keep my mouth shut.

Who is calling for the government to censor him or jail him?

Or do you claim to be a proponent of free speech while not understanding it?

If the government in this case forced this board, or a comedy club, to put up with vile bigotry they disagree with, you'd be infringing on their freedom of speech.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I think that him making fun is his job and his intention is to make people laugh as with any stand up comedy. However as I tried to explain in my post I can understand how people find it impossible or difficult to find the satire/fun in his material given what we know about him.
You straight up didn't answer the question that was asked by The Kree

Try again.

How do you feel about low hanging transphobic jokes and making fun of survivors of school shootings?

Dyergram

Nov 26, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Repeatedly skirting the lines of a modpost to dismiss transphobic rhetoric
You straight up didn't answer the question that was asked by The Kree

Try again.

How do you feel about low hanging transphobic jokes and making fun of survivors of school shootings?
Are you asking if I find it funny? Because the mod post literally tells me not to give my opinion on that.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad CK is beginning to be exposed for his shit. I found it odd how people applauded him so much just for his TV shows when his stand up has always been littered with this kind of anti-PC content. The guy used to be a regular guest on Opie & Anthony FFS and that show was nothing more than a way to dunk on PC culture.

He didn't "turn alt-right" he's ALWAYS been this way.

Oct 25, 2017
it isn't even that the subject matter is taboo - it's entirely possible to make comedy involving transgender experiences without being a dehumanizing dumbass

puberty jokes are a well-trodden path, and so second-puberty is equally ripe for humor

from the silly jokes about how spironolactone infamously causes pickle cravings, to acting out the common scene of having to know more about the endocrine system than your doctor, to even the classic "oh no both bottoms" scenario for cheap laughs - trans twitter excels at making jokes about their experiences because humor helps take a bit of the edge off of life

actual jokes with varied setups! wow!

compare these jokes to when conservatives put up a sign that says HAHA STEREOTYPE and the audience goes HAHA MINORITY GROUP and claps like the trained seals they are - it's the verbal equivalent to "Ow, My Balls!" for people just about as intelligent

there's no setup! just the same punchline of "minorities, amirite?" every single time

compare dave rubin saying "is there anyone gay here, like me, the gay" over and over with the best of gay twitter and you'll quickly discover why conservative comedy always fails

Last edited:

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I think that him making fun is his job and his intention is to make people laugh as with any stand up comedy. However as I tried to explain in my post I can understand how people find it impossible or difficult to find the satire/fun in his material given what we know about him.
People don't find this unfunny just because we now know CK is a sexual assaulter/harasser. Shitting on transgender people and school shooting victims ain't satire.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Are you asking if I find it funny? Because the mod post literally tells me not to give my opinion on that.

I know you think you're being clever or some shit, but saying you can't say your opinion by citing a mod post saying that stating a certain opinion on this will get you banned pretty much tells us what your opinion is...

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

saying you can't give your opinion is literally the same as saying you find it funny because that's the only opinion you're not allowed to give without consequences

you didn't think this through did you

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
source.gif

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The people saying this is typical CK stand up, I've watched a few of those and don't remember anything transphobic or making fun of child shooting victims. A few steps away from jokes about Jews complaining too much about the Holocaust.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
The people saying this is typical CK stand up, I've watched a few of those and don't remember anything transphobic or making fun of child shooting victims. A few steps away from jokes about Jews complaining too much about the Holocaust.

Yeah, this is much worse and much different. Even his delivery is different. The guy has changed.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Reading this thread has been more entertaining than I'm sure the sketch itself could possibly be.
I'm not going to watch the video, irrelevant content should not be spread to an even larger audience. Here's to the next 11 pages.

Oct 25, 2017
What are your opinions about him making fun of the Parkland shooting victims and the transphobic language in this routine?

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The people saying this is typical CK stand up, I've watched a few of those and don't remember anything transphobic or making fun of

Agreed, I dont remember him being this mean.

Also the whole he asked for permission shit that one guy brought up is really pissing me off, just imagine your supervisor or somebody with your career in their hands asking you if it's ok to masturbate in front of you, even if you refuse and leave the room then you are fucked and that relationship is over. If it was my supervisor I would have his ass fired and sued.

Deleted member 1656

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So-Cal
I'm not insinuating that at all.
Sorry, that's what it reads like. I thought differently of Louie until the jacking off shit came out. Some of us aren't always as discerning. If you really want to know why people like/d him I'm sure you could find some positive criticism somewhere out there. It would be tasteless to puff up his shit in this thread, you know?

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Also the essence of the joke being young people aren't sex focused/wild enough for their age is pretty insane. After the history of comedy being packed with jokes about how young people are clueless and hedons now it's bad that they aren't? It's like joking about why are young people voting or participating in Civic discourse. Appeals directly to the old people bullshit that age brings wisdom when some of the most ignorant people I've met are old. This is really perfect material for the old ass Trump supporters who are unhinged by societal change.

Oct 25, 2017
I like to imagine that there's a discord server somewhere where a little gang of bigoted sociopathic fuckmuppets congregate to try to figure out how to best obscure their profane thought processes in these discussions. It's fun watching them fail and burn through their accounts.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
We should all take a second to admire the super mega genius of Dyergram, and how flawlessly he worked around the moderators warning. 10/10. Would watch get banned again.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhh...there weren't even any jokes in that clip. It was really "old man yells at cloud" with a right wing flavor to it. Super lame. Still weird Louie is still working in comedy after his sexual harassment scandal

Ogami Itto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also the essence of the joke being young people aren't sex focused/wild enough for their age is pretty insane. After the history of comedy being packed with jokes about how young people are clueless and hedons now it's bad that they aren't? It's like joking about why are young people voting or participating in Civic discourse. Appeals directly to the old people bullshit that age brings wisdom when some of the most ignorant people I've met are old. This is really perfect material for the old ass Trump supporters who are unhinged by societal change.

The thing is most of his audience will be young people so it's not even old vs young anymore, it's young left vs young right.

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
Luis Ck is open to criticism like any other person on the planet, being a comedian doesn't shield him from criticism, especially after we discovered about him.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty amazing how quickly shitheads like CK who spent years mocking right-wing assholes pivot and cater to them just to get any cash. It's a shame he still might have a career by doing that going off all the dumb as fuck posts in this forum of all places.

I enjoyed CK when I thought he was working to satirize male impulses.

When I found out he was just making jokes about his own behavior without much self-critique, well, that lost my respect.
Exactly, the moment you realize he was doing all that shit, his sets lose all value. I was there for creative wild jokes, not a fucking confession.

maxglute

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Typical in the sense that joking about gender identity, child shooting victims and general punching up is something within the ball park of CK's stand up. Usually sharp delivery and detours distinguishes his sets from complete conservative fodder. He's popular because he has been able to navigate the very fine transgressive line, many here disagree, but his (ex?) mainstream appeal speaks for itself.

This set is just terrible though. Depending on context, it maybe expectedly terrible since it was performed at a club where new material is being workshopped, or it's unexpectedly terrible and indicates he is changing his style to cater to a narrower, shittier audience. Either option seems possible at this point. CK has been savvy with his business dealings since he blew up, so I while I think the former is likely because narrower audience means less money, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some mental math and decided catering to anti-PC crowd. I don't exactly think he's a man of morals after all that has happened.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
And you also conveniently left out the part where he shit on survivors of school shootings.

Well it is pretty distastefull for sure but this is comedy in the end.

In the night of '00 to '01 there was a huge fire in a bar here in the Netherlands. Lots of people died and even more got burn wounds for the rest of their lives.
A couple of years ago my favourite comedian mocked the victims a bit too. This also hurted the community of victims a lot and they called him out for it.
His defense was that it was just for the comedy and people watching his shows shouldnt be surprised by this.

I am all for pc and all but i do think there must a place for comedy and satire. Wether its distastefull or not.

Hope this doesnt get me banned because i am in no way a Louis CK fan. I am more into Stanhope or Carlin.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I enjoyed CK when I thought he was working to satirize male impulses.

When I found out he was just making jokes about his own behavior without much self-critique, well, that lost my respect.

Yeah, it recontextualises everything. With jokes like the one built around the dates rape fantasy you start to wonder what actually went down to inspire it.

As for his current stuff 10 year old attack helicopter memes made by internet 12 year olds should be a death sentence for a comic. Not that it will be or that he hasn't already done things far more worthy of ending his career but it's objectively shity comedy unless you're an objectively shitty human being.

Oct 25, 2017

In the night of '00 to '01 there was a huge fire in a bar here in the Netherlands. Lots of people died and even more got burn wounds for the rest of their lives.
A couple of years ago my favourite comedian mocked the victims a bit too. This also hurted the community of victims a lot and they called him out for it.
His defense was that it was just for the comedy and people watching his shows shouldnt be surprised by this.

I am all for pc and all but i do think there must a place for comedy and satire. Wether its distastefull or not.

Hope this doesnt get me banned because i am in no way a Louis CK fan. I am more into Stanhope or Carlin.

What's funny about people burning to death in a bar? I'm like really smart, so I'm sure if you explain it to me clearly, I'll understand.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017

Satire doesn't mock people just for the sake of mocking. It serves a larger purpose in doing so. It seeks to expose a truth about the subject and mock it, essentially using humor to shine a light on a darkness in society or the person that we might not otherwise take notice of. It's meant to inform, to a degree, and ask us to do better. If it's not doing that it's just mean spirited.

Oct 27, 2017
Typical in the sense that joking about gender identity, child shooting victims and general punching up is something within the ball park of CK's stand up. Usually sharp delivery and detours distinguishes his sets from complete conservative fodder. He's popular because he has been able to navigate the very fine transgressive line, many here disagree, but his (ex?) mainstream appeal speaks for itself.

This set is just terrible though. Depending on context, it maybe expectedly terrible since it was performed at a club where new material is being workshopped, or it's unexpectedly terrible and indicates he is changing his style to cater to a narrower, shittier audience. Either option seems possible at this point. CK has been savvy with his business dealings since he blew up, so I while I think the former is likely because narrower audience means less money, I wouldn't be surprised if he did some mental math and decided catering to anti-PC crowd. I don't exactly think he's a man of morals after all that has happened.

And, it's possible he's bitter, and is misplacing his anger on those he holds responsible, rather than himself. It's not a far leap from "oh these school shooter survivors are so uppity!" to "it's just a penis, why are these women so uppity!"

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Kids getting shot up in schools is a thing that's still happening.

It's one thing to make a "look how ridiculous and depressing this shit is" kind of joke about something like that (which is more something Carlin did) . But no, Louis decided to make a joke about how kids being shot to death in schools are just entitled complainers. It's fucking brutally mean and 10,000% unfunny.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly in line with his pre sex predator standup, he's not pivoting to become an alt right comic, this is the type of humor he's always done.
As someone who used to enjoy his comedy a lot, it really isnt. His offensive bits used to be obviously satirical, or the joke was how outrageously offensive the thing he was saying was. There's nothing of that here, it's just him straight up shitting on trans people and shooting survivors with no point behind it.

Willkiller

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what, exactly, was funny about it?

The part abound the younger generation being boring and, as an older man, being disappointed that he'll never get the chance to express how wild the younger generations are.

I wasn't falling about laughing by any means, but there's really nothing to take issue with there. It was ok. The second minute is quite obviously a different story altogether.

Oct 27, 2017
Kids getting shot up in schools is a thing that's still happening.

It's one thing to make a "look how ridiculous and depressing this shit is" kind of joke about something like that (which is more something Carlin did) . But no, Louis decided to make a joke about how kids being shot to death in schools are just entitled complainers. It's fucking brutally mean and 10,000% unfunny.

And it falls so flat. "What's gives you the right, you're just a fucking kid".

Well, their experience, Louis. Have you survived a school shooting? The reason we tend to not respect kids' opinions as much is because they dont have as much life experience. But they have that experience, and you dont, so shut the fuck up lck.

The part abound the younger generation being boring and, as an older man, being disappointed that he'll never get the chance to express how wild the younger generations are.

I wasn't falling about laughing by any means, but there's really nothing to take issue with there. It was ok. The second minute is quite obviously a different story altogether.

Did the things he chose to illustrate his point about how kids are boring ring true? Being progressive doesnt make someone boring. Trying to educate regressive bigots on how to be respectful isn't boring, nor does it prevent said youngsters from finger banging and jello shots.

Haven't younger generations almost always been more progressive and socially conscious than their elders?

Oct 25, 2017

Hey may not have been transphobic, but his routines always involved crude, low brow, anti-pc like humor.

Oct 25, 2017

But that part was disingenious bullshit because teens and young adults have always been speaking up on matters. He's just being an intentional shit head

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Dude used to be one of the GOATs, easy. His real life creepiness actually being alluded to in his standups (and tv shows) ages it a bit though but there's still greatness in his past material.

A shame he's veered so far into this sort of territory though now, rather than disappear for a long time and learn from it he's just been emboldened and become more bitter from the experience smh.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

that was not the joke, and i think you probably know that

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
What's funny about people burning to death in a bar? I'm like really smart, so I'm sure if you explain it to me clearly, I'll understand.

Ofcourse there is nothing funny abt the fact. Its horrible it happened.

The context was that the village in which this happened is pretty much known to be racist against other colored people while not having any of them in it.
He said the village is full of xenophobia which is weird because the only different skin color they ever had see is the color of the skin of the burn victims.

He wasn't mocking the victims self but did they joke on behalve of their tragedy.

Satire doesn't mock people just for the sake of mocking. It serves a larger purpose in doing so. It seeks to expose a truth about the subject and mock it, essentially using humor to shine a light on a darkness in society or the person that we might not otherwise take notice of. It's meant to inform, to a degree, and ask us to do better. If it's not doing that it's just mean spirited.

This is a good post. Thanx

Willkiller

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that part was disingenious bullshit because teens and young adults have always been speaking up on matters. He's just being an intentional shit head

Well yes, of course, I didn't really take it super literally.

You didn't find it funny. I did. If you liked it or not, no matter how you look at it it's very much on the lighter side of all his material as far as being controversial goes. I'm not defending part after that, as I've said that's a very different matter.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Pretty bold of him to try pass himself off as some super cool dude 30 years ago when the most noteworthy thing about Louis CK is that he jerks himself off to unwilling women like a fucking loser.

Status
Not open for further replies.