• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess im naive.

You have to understand the amount of heroes ive lost to truth in the last few years. It's really disillusioning. Upsetting. What does it say about me that they were my heroes in the first place? What does it say about me that I couldn't pick up on the subtext of their work, or did but chose to ignore it?

Not saying Louis was my hero but I respected him. People like John Kricfalusi, though.... he was literally the king of my childhood.

I remember being deeply uncomfortable at the forced-kiss scene in Louis. I remember being deeply uncomfortable at most of Adult Party Cartoon. But I still carried the torch. What's wrong with me?
I don't think you should feel bad about the way you felt before as long as you feel differently now. These people are so successful in the first place because they manage to fool a lot of people for a long time.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This is exactly in line with his pre sex predator standup, he's not pivoting to become an alt right comic, this is the type of humor he's always done.
The style is similar but I don't remember him being transphobic or attacking kids who want a safer world. His jokes were more self-deprivating and if he shat on some people, it was people like shitty parents who don't raise their children well (this could be aimed at liberal hippies who don't control their kids at all as well as racist rednecks), the annoying as all fuck kids who are a result of that shitty parenting or annoying customers that you have to suffer from when waiting in line. If he tackled stuff like racism, he might've acted it out as a racist person but the butt of the joke was always the racist. This set feels like he'd gotten in with the #notallmen, #alllivesmatter, #iidentifyasanattackhelicopter crowd.

Though in retrospect, knowing what he has done now, some of his pervy jokes are kinda iffy. But generally he had a fairly progressive slant to his comedy. I guess he's just one of those thinskinned comedians after all who can't handle any criticism and instead of contemplating on his own behaviour, it's everyone else who are the problem and it's easier to just double down on all the shitty stuff because he'll find an uncritical audience on the right side of the aisle who will worship him for his bigotry and hatred.

Enzom21

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree. I think saying dropping the N-bomb is obviously bad, but you want to hear posters' takes on why transphobic jokes might be ok, is a bad look. imo. peace.
Let's stop with this "it's as bad as saying nigger." nonsense whenever someone does something racist/bigoted. What CK did is its own thing, it doesn't have to be compared to someone saying nigger. They are very different things and comparing them diminishes the severity of both.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Let's stop with this "it's as bad as saying nigger." nonsense whenever someone does something racist/bigoted. What CK did is its own thing, it doesn't have to be compared to someone saying nigger. They are very different things and comparing them diminishes the severity of both.

They don't have to be equal to be on the same side of the "obviously bad" line. You're free to work your way up the quote chain to see that I never said "it's just as bad." Or was the one to bring it up in the first place.

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Fuck you, Louis. You used to be pretty cool.

Seriously though, while a good amount of his act was vulgar and ironic shock humor, he actually articulated a surprisingly open-minded and tolerant worldview. He was clearly pro-marriage equality in 2006, his "time machine" bit was a pretty honest description of white privilege, he did more than a few bits on gender differences in dating that approached #metoo levels of wokeness about the dangers women face. And his TV show often dove into exploring how people of vastly different experiences live in a way that was humble and respectful.

Sounds like the justified beating he took in the progressive press turned him hard in the other direction instead of fully owning up to his own shortcomings. Either that or he's making a cold, calculated business decision. Not sure which is more depressing. Like a slightly less unhinged version of that Lionel guy (who also has no qualms about attacking the Parkland kids, incidentally).

ScandiNavy

Banned
Apr 13, 2018
Norway
I guess im naive.

You have to understand the amount of heroes ive lost to truth in the last few years. It's really disillusioning. Upsetting. What does it say about me that they were my heroes in the first place? What does it say about me that I couldn't pick up on the subtext of their work, or did but chose to ignore it?

Not saying Louis was my hero but I respected him. People like John Kricfalusi, though.... he was literally the king of my childhood.

I remember being deeply uncomfortable at the forced-kiss scene in Louis. I remember being deeply uncomfortable at most of Adult Party Cartoon. But I still carried the torch. What's wrong with me?
Have you ever felt the urge to give your buddy some air, while a colleague was in the room?
Maybe pat him a bit?

ANTISOULLESS

Banned
Dec 5, 2018
San Diego
User Banned (permanent): transphobia
Pretty funny.

The Milo comparison is outrageous.

I don't understand why this guy was banned. LCK made a clever joke and then went into dark humor I found a little cringey/groan-inducing.

Gender neutral pronouns being silly is not the same as transphobia.

I don't get why there needs to be another pronoun. Women and men can be whatever the fuck they want. And in my limited.experience with trans people. They've never invented a pronoun.

In Ohio where I am from, I had never met anyone trans. My only exposure to trans people in Ohio was ever only once in awhile seeing a disheveled trans in goodwill or walking on the street. My Mom or dad would call them weirdos. So bad start.

In China only along barsreet and only ever prostitutes (called ducks or geese in Chinese can't recall)

Later I went to Chicago to be on the judge Mathis show and I matched with a woman on okcipid or tinder and she ended up being an older trans woman. Came to my hotel at the hard Rock. She was attractive in pictures but in person had way too much facial plastic surgery and just wasn't something I like. And I don't personally like peeners.

But we hung out and played streets of rage as I had my first gaming laptop (MSi with 7870) and two wired 360 controllers (I went on the show with a friend). Then when I let her know again I still wasn't feeling it. We walked around the gay district. She talked about how it was difficult to find a guy who was okay with being open in a relationship with her. I empathized.even if I didn't relate.

Then, later in Ohio I saw one in a starbucks who I had matched with on Tinder once. Not my type. Too masquline. But when I saw her with a guy I didn't think it was gross I thought it was nice. That there is somebody for everyone. I thought that was awesome.

Recently moving to San Diego and finally finishing college I met awesome people who are trans. But also trans that I don't mesh with. As with all people. I've never come across a trans wanting to be referred to as them or there or Zim or zer tho.

My experience with trans people has grown and developed as they are exactly everywhere and aren't exactly accepted everywhere. But it's easy to see how my experience in the beginning could have lead to a different mindset now.

Men and women can be whatever they want. Masquline, androgynous, feminine, furry, gay, bi. It doesn't matter to rational moderate right and moderate leftists (shouldnt matter to anyone honestly).

But biology is biology(I think). Men and women are men and women. To invent a new pronoun only furthers the stereotype of what a man or a woman is. I feel.

And we are allowed to find each other weird. And if we have the sense of humor. Make jokes.

Ck is making a joke about pronouns. I don't think he is connecting it to trans people. Maybe he is. But I don't think the dude banned is either.

It's a clever joke. And the last bit is dark humor. Not a fan but hes far from transphobic evil incarnate I think. He makes fun of everyone right?

Sorry for the missive.

Last edited:

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think you should feel bad about the way you felt before as long as you feel differently now. These people are so successful in the first place because they manage to fool a lot of people for a long time.
But that's my point. That's probably most successful people. Is that the key to success?

All the great artists, if you look back, were deeply flawed, fucked up people. And it takes a certain kind of person to believe their own genius. It takes a certain kind of mind for uninhibited, soul-driving ambition.

Have you ever felt the urge to give your buddy some air, while a colleague was in the room?
Maybe pat him a bit?
I literally just hit the vape pen before coming into this thread. I shouldn't post on Era high, lol

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people saying this lines up with his usual sets.

From some of his most popular stuff:

- Pointing out how fucked up calling native Americans, Indians is
- Poking fun at the ridiculousness of homophobia and how irrational it is
- Jokes about white people's privilege

This set:
- Transphobic attack helicopter tier shit
- Shitting on school shooting survivors
- Whining about youth speaking up

The tone is completely different.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't find the material funny and he seems kind of angry compared to his usual work. But I find it pretty ridiculous that people are getting automatically banned for just saying they found it funny. What is the point of this thread then? Just complain how you think Louis is a piece of shit?

Making transphobic comments is banworthy on this forum. Laughing at transphobic jokes is basically the same thing. The point of this thread is to point out how low Louis CK has fallen. What's the point of your comment really? Because my response is something you most likely already knew since you've posted over 400 times here.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I don't understand why this guy was banned. LCK made a clever joke and then went into dark humor I found a little cringey/groan-inducing.

I don't get why there needs to be another pronoun. Women and men can be whatever the fuck they want. And in my limited.experience with trans people. They've never invented a pronoun.

In Ohio where I am from, I had never met anyone trans. My only exposure to trans people in Ohio was ever only once in awhile seeing a disheveled trans in goodwill or walking on the street. My Mom or dad would call them weirdos. So bad start.

In China only along barsreet and only ever prostitutes (called ducks or geese in Chinese can't recall)

Later I went to Chicago to be on the judge Mathis show and I matched with a woman on okcipid or tinder and she ended up being an older trans woman. Came to my hotel at the hard Rock. She was attractive in pictures but in person had way too much facial plastic surgery and just wasn't something I like. And I don't personally like peeners.

But we hung out and played streets of rage as I had my first gaming laptop (MSi with 7870) and two wired 360 controllers (I went on the show with a friend). Then when I let her know again I still wasn't feeling it. We walked around the gay district. She talked about how it was difficult to find a guy who was okay with being open in a relationship with her. I empathized.even if I didn't relate.

Then, later in Ohio I saw one in a starbucks who I had matched with on Tinder once. Not my type. Too masquline. But when I saw her with a guy I didn't think it was gross I thought it was nice. That there is somebody for everyone. I thought that was awesome.

Recently moving to San Diego and finally finishing college I met awesome people who are trans. But also trans that I don't mesh with. As with all people. I've never come across a trans wanting to be referred to as them or there or Zim or zer tho.

My experience with trans people has grown and developed as they are exactly everywhere and aren't exactly accepted everywhere. But it's easy to see how my experience in the beginning could have lead to a different mindset now.

Men and women can be whatever they want. Masquline, androgynous, feminine, furry, gay, bi. It doesn't matter to rational moderate right and moderate leftists (shouldnt matter to anyone honestly).

But biology is biology(I think). Men and women are men and women. To invent a new pronoun only furthers the stereotype of what a man or a woman is. I feel.

And we are allowed to find each other weird. And if we have the sense of humor. Make jokes.

Ck is making a joke about pronouns. I don't think he is connecting it to trans people. Maybe he is. But I don't think the dude banned is either.

It's a clever joke. And the last bit is dark humor. Not a fan but hes far from transphobic evil incarnate I think. He makes fun of everyone right?

Sorry for the missive.
This is a whole lot to say "I have trans friends"

And yes by making fun of how people address others it's also making fun of trans people. And the last bit wasn't dark humor, it was just a straight up right wing talking point.

I wish we could push this man back in to exile but he clearly has no shame and others love eating up his garbage so he's back despite being a dirtbag on and off the stage.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

Sorry for the missive.

Oh my.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Just listened to the first half of the full set. It's actually pretty funny apart from the transphobic bit which was terrible. He's still hilarious and also a shit person.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=138&v=R8Nc3x_TkF4
Screenshot_20181231-030318.png

Hey remember that time he threw around homophobic slurs like nothing. I do.

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018

Sorry for the missive.

I really don't see anything clever about repeating the tired stereotype of the bossy trans person rudely demanding to be referred to with a different set of pronouns.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Sorry for the missive.
Biology isn't simple, though. Man and woman, he and she etc. are made up words with a history based on our understanding of the world at the time of their conception too. The truth is that even human (gender) biology isn't as dichotomous as it is portrayed as.

Also, the meaning & usage of words can change. New words are invented all the time for all kinds of reasons.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If people are dumb enough to watch this old man yell at clouds, they're already punishing themselves. Man, he's a real asshole and looks like neogaf's own comic.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

No he didn't.

Making "I identify as an attack helicopter" type jokes are not even close to this and you're wrong anyway.

Why do you fucking care what people want to be called?

Why are you making this about you?

Again what does this have to do with anything?

What is the purpose of this?

Hey fuckstick, gender and sex are two different things.

Sorry for the missive.

Here's the thing about jokes, you don't punch down on a group of people with the highest rate of suicide and assault in the world. So why don't you take your context-less narcissistic post and shove it up your ass.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania

Sorry for the missive.
Yes. He even makes fun of kids who survived a school shooting. WHAT A FUCKING CLEVER GUY.

There are a billion other than things in life that are infinitely more worth bending over for than this trash. Maybe during your ban you'll reevaluate what's actually important in life, rather than dying on a hill for an absolute creep while defending a bottom tier trans joke.

Last edited:

Ali

Dec 27, 2017
Screenshot_20181231-030318.png

Hey remember that time he threw around homophobic slurs like nothing. I do.
Yeah those youtube comments are trash. I'm not defending anything. That was the first link i found for his full set. Which i found funny up until the transphobic bit and btw his set is also garbage after that too.

Last edited:

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We're all rightfully tearing that post apart, but add in a few swear words and read it in silly voices and we may have our next Louie CK routine.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Wow, that was somehow worse than expected.

Transphobic comments like that are discussing and having people laugh at it is sad.

Fuck this dude.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
But that's my point. That's probably most successful people. Is that the key to success?

All the great artists, if you look back, were deeply flawed, fucked up people. And it takes a certain kind of person to believe their own genius. It takes a certain kind of mind for uninhibited, soul-driving ambition.

I literally just hit the vape pen before coming into this thread. I shouldn't post on Era high, lol
A vast majority of the entertainment industry is still not accused of anything (too serious). While there are undoubtedly a lot of scummy people still waiting to be revealed, I'd worry about those only as they surface. Just maybe take this as a learning experience and ditch any kind of hero(ess) worship. Artists are people too. They have their issues and may be a bit fucked up in some ways (though there's a difference between "overdoses on drugs" fucked up and "masturbates in front of women" and "fucks children" types of fucked up). If you think someone is a cool guy/gal, let their positive attributes & deeds affect you but don't put them on too much of a pedestal that them turning out to be shitty people (and ditching your support of them & their work) will cause you much distress.

And console yourself with the fact that there is an endless amount of shit to enjoy in this world. Too much for a single person to experience in a life time or a million. Losing a few favourite artists and comedians ain't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Plenty of other ones to enjoy and new ones to get that spotlight and to be discovered. Take it as an opportunity to widen your horizons.

Thunder

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
User Banned (3 Weeks): Defending transphobia, account in junior phase.

OniLinkPlus

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god. Listening to that hurt me a lot. I can't believe I used to like Louis CK. What a piece of human garbage.

On the bright side, the transphobes are willingly exposing themselves to get banned?

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people saying this lines up with his usual sets.

From some of his most popular stuff:

- Pointing out how fucked up calling native Americans, Indians is
- Poking fun at the ridiculousness of homophobia and how irrational it is
- Jokes about white people's privilege

This set:
- Transphobic attack helicopter tier shit
- Shitting on school shooting survivors
- Whining about youth speaking up

The tone is completely different.

yea despite the fucked up shit he did he always struck me as pretty left leaning

this is a pretty clear shift

mescalineeyes

Banned
May 12, 2018
Vienna
Says a lot about a person that after being ousted from the public their idea of a come back is to make fun of marginalized people and shooting victims.
Also says a lot about people who think it's ok/funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.