• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

oAt6UkJ.jpg

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
The set was pretty good, but it was a struggle listening to that leak with that one dude's laugh.
Official Staff Communication
There is no reasonable defense that can be offered of Louis CK's statements in this clip. Defending or commenting that you find the clip funny will be treated the same as any other post in defense of transphobia or transphobia from this point forward.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Usually even his offensive shit at least has a little more creativity than that.
It usually does from what I've seen, definitely. TBF, this was a clip from a full set. I don't care to hear the rest of it but you never know if he comes back to it. Someone can possibly enlighten me or not.
Edit* just saw the staff note. better not to look into it. disregard the above

Last edited:

eZn

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The entire set is on YouTube. Not going to link it. But it is out there.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
First time I'm ever seeing one of his pieces. Is this what he's always been like? He just sounds like the typical "I hate liberals" type.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Damn, man, damn. This was hard to hear.

I'm gonna call myself out on what now appears to be some stupid shit I said. Fuck me and fuck CK. Never heard him punching down before, unless it was satirically, and there's no hint of satire or irony in the linked audio.

TinfoilHatsROn

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, guess I grew up cause this shit is fucking stupid. Also I guess his shows were ghostwritten cause I have a hard time believing someone doing this type of lazy comedy could actually write Louie.

I mean fucking seriously this is one joke away from the 'attack helicopter' """joke""" and the bit about the parkland kids didn't even make sense. Like I thought it was going to be satirical or something. Talk about being lazy, JFC. Oh well, moving on I guess.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
Well this sucks.

And it sucks some people here are defending him. Yes, he has said some awful cringey jokes in his past stand ups, but 1) he was obviously joking about many things, like going back in time and erasing his daughter, and 2) context matters. That stand up was years ago and he wouldn't dare joke about raping or masturbating in front of anybody anymore because he's been accused of doing exactly that, which is why he's going for lame, unoriginal jokes about millennials and gen z.

If this really was about "comedy for the sake of comedy" or Louis CK being the same as ever, he would have the balls to keep joking about masturbating everywhere, but he knows not even his new red-stage audiences will laugh at that after being accused of being a serial masturbator in front of women.

Because again, context matters and you really can't joke about anything, not now and not in the past. That thing about comedy being subjective has always been a lie. There are basic rules, like never punching down or making sure your audience knows you're joking, at least somewhat. He's not complying with either of those things here.

Oct 27, 2017
God, as an old Louis CK fan and mild apologist, that was rough. Such a shitty, and just plain hack, take on younger generations. I will say the parkland shooter joke could work as part of a more self deprecating set but it's placement here is terrible. There are good funny school shooting jokes. This is not that.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Who let Louis CK be a thing again? Shouldn't his ass be sitting in a prison cell?

He's forcing his way back in and will eventually get his way with outlets who are willing to look past it. I doubt he'll have the same remotely successful platform that he had two years ago.

He'll be doing the same shitty jokes to the same audience in two decades.

Typhonsentra

Oct 27, 2017
It really feels like these are his real views. With how hard this place has been on him in the past I will admit I was ready to be dismissive of additional criticism of him from you guys but yeah, that was really rough. Worst part is how it calls into the progressive stances he previously held, like now it looks like he took those positions out of guilt rather than honestly believing in them. I mean, what the fuck could he be thinking talking about Parkland that way? Just calling that a rough joke doesn't fly with me.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
God, as an old Louis CK fan and mild apologist, that was rough. Such a shitty, and just plain hack, take on younger generations. I will say the parkland shooter joke could work as part of a more self deprecating set but it's placement here is terrible. There are good funny school shooting jokes. This is not that.
Mild apologist? Please tell me how you can apologize for constant sexual harassment

Oct 27, 2017
I'm open to comedians making jokes about almost any topic, but this just wasn't well written material. Seemed lazy and sloppy.
It probably (and I stress probably) seems lazy and sloppy because this is what it sounds like when a comedian works out new material. Most people only hear a stand-up special after it's been worked on for well over a year.

P.S. I'm not defending the material, I'm just trying to clarify that people shouldn't judge this until the special airs, as a lot will change from now until then. It would be like judging the first cut of any movie ever made. It's one thing to not like the jokes because you're offended, but it's another to attack something that isn't finished.

P.P.S. Personally I think "Live at the Beacon Theater" was his last good special and the few after have been terrible, to the point where his last special I believe I smiled once. Anyway, I think this "nothing to lose" Louis may at some point produce another fantastic hour of stand-up, but it won't be anytime soon.

NoRéN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
- Talks about how when he was a teen or in his early 20's he was doing crazy shit and he couldn't wait until he got into his 50's so he could call kids out for being crazy. But those kids aren't crazy, instead they're calling out others for saying stupid shit
- Complains about people wanting to be identified a certain way
- Complains about the Parkland Kids speaking in front of congress. Says that they have nothing important to say and it's not like they got shot, they just pushed some fat kid in front of them

There are no actual jokes in it.
Sounds like he posts at the sunken place now.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I've never listened to this dude before but wow. Legitimately angry at this fucking excuse of a human being.

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this him still workshopping his set? There's a bunch of material out there that never officially sees the light of day that's pretty rough and gets changed considerably.

This is just pretty stupid and tone deaf mostly. There's something to the joke about kids these days are boring but the path he takes to it is pretty shitty.

I'm not going to lie and say i never find him funny. His old stuff is hilarious. He lost his edge as he got older and I don't really have much interest in engaging with his material anymore. Rather he just pissed off with his millions. Whatever.

Thunder11

Oct 27, 2017
Man, his old HBO special was one my favorite stand up sets ever. Even before the bad news broke he was not nearly as good anymore, and now this clip is just bad

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
You guys do realize constanly making threads about things that you consider fucked up will only spread it around more. Had no idea this even existed.

How about posting about comedians you guys think are actually funny.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
That's disappointing, as someone who used to appreciate his comedy. All the masturbation talk in his old material is already a giant yikes in retrospect obviously but I used to think his comedic lens allowed for a relatively kind and humane deconstruction of people despite how nasty he could get. I think something could be done with the opening bit about him struggling to connect with today's youth but then it just devolves from there into really unfunny territory. I really don't know what the fuck he was trying to say at the end with the bit about the high school shooting victims. That was so random and pointless.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
The absurdity surrounding the Parkland shooting and its political aftermath is rife with opportunities for jokes. The GOP/NRA response has been pitiful. There are countless observations that could have been made. And he went after the kids?

tropoFarmer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Defense of transphobia, ignoring mod post, history of severe infractions.
We're against telling jokes now? OK.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Oh cool, you can see Staff Posts at the bottom of threads now. For anyone wondering - click it.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I think the sadest part of all of this is that this shit is not original nor funny. Alt right comedian have used the same exact approach of making fun of "libtards." I guess it makes sense as he lost significant audience. What's left that still supports him is the trash. The logical next step is making content that makes the trash happy. The situation reminds of Evilore on the old forum. Going from progressive and inclusive person, to MAGA alt right almost over night. It's kinda disturbing how easy this seems for them to just do.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that bit is not any different than his typical standup material. Without the current background of his sexual assaults, no one would care about it.

Having said, it wasn't even funny apart from the actual shock value of "OMG can you believe he just said that?!".

Status
Not open for further replies.