• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who did you side with in Avengers vs X-Men

• Avengers

Votes: 118 27.3%
  • X-Men

Votes: 315 72.7%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. Outlawed is a very dumb storyline in a book that does nothing for me, but intelligently using Cyclops there to simply grant everyone involved asylum and tell the US government to fuck off or catch these hands from Krakoa is some inspired writing.

in context that one makes sense. Magneto COULD have beaten Tony there but sensed the Phoenix heading towards earth and got overwhelmed. It's a wash.

you're right. I forgot he kind of gave up.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least we got those fun Comics Alliance reviews and the Avengers Academy tie-in. Other than that, pure garbage.

I got to that during my readthrough of Academy.

I though it was just gonna be a low stakes conflict between the kids, like the X-Men kids are mad but it's made clear that the adults are trying to take at least some measure of responsibility by ensuring teenagers aren't being forced into their fight, but nope. The Avengers make it clear that the kids are there for their own safety but if they resist then break their damn legs, and the Academy cast are so horrified they end up making a big spectacle of a fight in front of some security cameras to make it seem like the X-Men overpowered them and escaped on their own.

Then Pheonix-powered Emma Frost shows up, sees Juston Seyfert and his Sentinel, and comes to the fairly rational conclusion that this is a thing literally made to kill her people and should probably not exist, and the whole Academy fights to protect it. Sean McKeever's Sentinel is a lowkey cult classic and is basically Iron Giant in the Marvel Universe and is as awesome as that sounds, but it's still hella weird to take a generic robot mook who exists as a symbol of endless human persecution and repurpose it as the story of A Boy And His Robot.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
The criticism doesn't make sense, because it ignores that writers don't have free reign to do whatever, the direction is spelled out by editorial. And editorial doesn't change all that often. The current HOX/POX status quo was conceived over a number of years of editorial summits and meetings involving hickman and several other writers. It's not going to change in "5 years". The plan goes out much farther than that. And besides- "galactus level" mutants popping up isn't really something that's feasible given that there are none- let alone MULTIPLE galactus level mutants that merge into a galaxy spanning hivemind.

This is intended to be a permanent, seismic shift across the X-books on par with Giant Size X-men, and it is. The coordination between the writers of the X-books right now puts those stories so far past what's happening with Marvel's other two pillars (the spider-books and the avengers books) it makes them look barely better than bad fanfiction.

I don't think that the new status quo for the X-Men is going to be undone in 5-Years time (unless the MCU goes back to basics with the X-men, in which case...) but I'm just trying to say that past events in comics can be retooled as either negative or positive spins. My criticism of the X-men side in AvX may be dampened because of a story line written 8 years later, but that's because it's written well after the fact. Within the context of the story, the X-Men's justification for making more mutants is lousy and never takes into consideration the own hardship they have to face and how they're now going to impose that on random other people. Now you can say that there needs to be a larger group of super powered individuals united around the common element of being "Mutants" to fight an upcoming threat, rather than being splintered due to their origins, teams, or nationalities like the other miscellaneous super heroes, and I'd buy that, but that's not what AvX even hinted at. And while I know Marvel editorial plans out several story lines in advance, I very much doubt that they had Hickman's recent X-men run planned out back during AvX, especially since what happened with his Secret Wars with the Multiverse being whittled away.

Aug 13, 2019
I only have vague recollections of AvX and god damn do I remember hating it. Is there a single good Hero v Hero event? X-Men. The Avengers are awful in AvX.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Well one side lives on a rock outside of San Fransisco and recently had their numbers shredded to maybe a hundred people between all the deaths since House of M and Wolverine of all people deciding that kids shouldn't fight even though Wolverine's thing is bringing kids along with him so they can reenact Lone Wolf and Cub. Their plan is to rely on the cosmic power of the Phoenix Force, something the story frames as unpredictably violent even though that was only the case in Dark Phoenix Saga where it had its mind messed with by the Hellfire Club and has since then been exclusively used for beneficial purposes by Rachel Summers and Jean Grey.

The other side is a prestigious globally beloved independently financed strike fotce that acted out of a mansion that then moved into a Manhattan sky rise tower. They're mostly clueless on what the Phoenix could do so they ask Wolverine for advice and he tells them that the Phoenix is gonna destroy the planet because he's still mooning over another man's wife. They bring the entire Avengers roster and park the Helicarrier outside so Captain America can interact with Cyclops for maybe the fifth time since the decimation of the Mutant population by an Avenger who recently came back to tell everyone nothing that happened was her fault and tells Cyclops that the Phoenix always ruins things and it killed your wife and Cyclops realizes that Cap hasn't read an X-Men comic since 1981 much like the writers of this event so they start fighting.

Then Iron Man brings out a giant gun that shoots the Phoenix, a sentient cosmic force that directly taps into the lifespan of the universe, causing it to blow up. Fortunately because an Avenger is the one that did this it doesn't make the Phoenix blow up the planet but instead causes it to merge into five new hosts who have "I'm going to go batshit and become the final boss" written on their foreheads. The Phoenix Five quickly round up the Avengers in an evil hell dimension that was later established as a perfectly fine place for Mutants to hide away in when the Inhumans gassed the entire planet sterilizing and killing Mutants en mass while literally nobody on the Avengers cared while the intended Mutant messiah Hope Summers goes to Kun Lun where it turns out the Phoenix is actually part of their mythology because Jason Aaron's favourite thing to do in comics is tie the Phoenix to unrelated Marvel characters to the point of recently establishing it used to date Thor's dad. While this is all going on the Phoenix Five also end world hunger and create clean energy and the remaining Avengers plot to break free from these evil fascists they definitely didn't create with their own actions.

So the Avengers and X-Men mount a oounter attack by recruiting the Hulk who is fortunately dumb enough not to remember that the only member of the Illuminati who didn't vote to shoot him into space is currently on the X-Men's side. A bunch of dumb fight scenes happen where members of the Phoenix Five are defeated one by one which makes the other members absorb their powers and drive them even crazier. Professor Xavier shows up and instantly decides to shut down Cyclops' brain which gets him killed in self defense, which horrifies Cyclops enough that an entire army can now beat him into submission.

The story ends with Cyclops in jail getting lectured by Captain America that even if the fate of every one of his people rested on his shoulders he didn't have to kick up such a fuss about it. Cyclops asks if any new Mutants have been born so Captain America begins screaming in his face and storms out the door and tells him he's going to rot in prison forever for killing a single person in self defense after being forcibly possessed by the Phoenix because the Avengers tried to kill it, but then comes to the conclusion that racism might be a thing so he decides to form the Uncanny Avengers, where Captain America gets to boss around a bunch of Mutants including the one who is supposed to lead the team and includes the Avenger who accidentally decimated the Mutant population.

Cyclops, for his part, does learn from Beast that the Phoenix did its job. There are new Mutant births again.

2627454-long_live_the_mutants.jpg

Then three years later the Inhumans happened WHOOPS goodnight everybody

Yup, all this. Much like the Civil War stories, one side was absolutely right, and the other side was absolutely wrong, and for some reason the writers expected us to consider it some kind of complex dilemma.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit...where should I start to read this?

join us
www.resetera.com

The Krakoa Era of X-Men |OT| Mutant Massacre (Open Spoilers after issues drop) Comics - OT

Spoiler rules: We have decided to implement an Open Spoilers policy. The day an issue is released, it's fine to discuss its story here in the thread. HOUSE OF X #1, written by Jonathan Hickman with art by Pepe Larraz, hits stands on Wednesday, July 24. POWERS OF X #1, written by Hickman...

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I don't think that the new status quo for the X-Men is going to be undone in 5-Years time (unless the MCU goes back to basics with the X-men, in which case...) but I'm just trying to say that past events in comics can be retooled as either negative or positive spins. My criticism of the X-men side in AvX may be dampened because of a story line written 8 years later, but that's because it's written well after the fact. Within the context of the story, the X-Men's justification for making more mutants is lousy and never takes into consideration the own hardship they have to face and how they're now going to impose that on random other people. Now you can say that there needs to be a larger group of super powered individuals united around the common element of being "Mutants" to fight an upcoming threat, rather than being splintered due to their origins, teams, or nationalities like the other miscellaneous super heroes, and I'd buy that, but that's not what AvX even hinted at. And while I know Marvel editorial plans out several story lines in advance, I very much doubt that they had Hickman's recent X-men run planned out back during AvX, especially since what happened with his Secret Wars with the Multiverse being whittled away.

I thought I was clear about this to begin with. The entire reason AVX happened in the first place was because the Phoenix Force itself as a cosmic entity was coming to reverse the evolutionary process that had ground itself to a halt, because of what Wanda did in decimation. That is a role of the entity itself, it had done this before, and this was explained at the time AVX was written:

That's from a book written in 2012 as part of the event. The X-men were clearly correct and the event spelled that out *AT THE TIME*. The "messiah" is analogous to hope summers, who was created as a vessel for the phoenix to restart this process. Any argument about "hardship" from mutation is irrelevant when you're talking about the complete halt of the evolutionary process on earth, which is what Wanda had done.

In *CURRENT* continuity the Xmen are even more correct, because without a robust mutant population fighting against AI, humanity wipes itself out after machinekind dominates the planet and attracts the attention of a Phalanx. The position of the X-men "don't mess with the phoenix, allow it to perform it's intended role" was the correct one and always has been. "Let's shoot it and not worry about the consequences of messing with cosmic forces" which was the position of the Avengers was ALWAYS stupid.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I thought I was clear about this to begin with. The entire reason AVX happened in the first place was because the Phoenix Force itself as a cosmic entity was coming to reverse the evolutionary process that had ground itself to a halt, because of what Wanda did in decimation. That is a role of the entity itself, it had done this before, and this was explained at the time AVX was written:

That's from a book written in 2012 as part of the event. The X-men were clearly correct and the event spelled that out *AT THE TIME*. The "messiah" is analogous to hope summers, who was created as a vessel for the phoenix to restart this process.

In *CURRENT* continuity the Xmen are even more correct, because without a robust mutant population fighting against AI, humanity wipes itself out after machinekind dominates the planet and attracts the attention of a Phalanx.

I mean I'll be honest all this stuff sounds cool in an epic sci-fi worldbuilding kinda way but Hickman's radical shift to the status quo still feels like it's continuing the same problem X-Men has had since 2005, arguably since Grant Morrison took over in 2001; it's a comic about how our real world prejudice is wrong, but then high concept writers like Morrison and Hickman throw all this sci-fi techno jargon and justifications to explain the mechanical reasons why Mutants need to be around instead of just, like, "yeah they're different, but we're all different in some way and our differences are what make us who we are."

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
My eyes rolled out of my head at the mere announcement of this event. Naturally, it was going to change everything and nothing will ever be the same again, as every Marvel event, big or small, has always and will always declare.

There must be some sort of diminishing returns on these events (and repeated new #1s), right? Like, enough already.

Anyway, like an idiot, I read the first issue. Cap was a dick, the Avengers basically inserted themselves into shit that was none of their business and they had no actual knowledge of. Very dumb, and I did not read past that first issue.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean I'll be honest all this stuff sounds cool in an epic sci-fi worldbuilding kinda way but Hickman's radical shift to the status quo still feels like it's continuing the same problem X-Men has had since 2005, arguably since Grant Morrison took over in 2001; it's a comic about how our real world prejudice is wrong, but then high concept writers like Morrison and Hickman throw all this sci-fi techno jargon and justifications to explain the mechanical reasons why Mutants need to be around instead of just, like, "yeah they're different, but we're all different in some way and our differences are what make us who we are."

Everyone knows prejudice is wrong and difference is good. That message has been written hundreds of times across the book since Claremont and EVERY marvel book hammers this point home, it's not an Xmen exclusive issue. The point of HOX/POX is to introduce new themes and conflicts beyond that, and turn the X-books into something that better reflects the world we live in and introduce relationships that are more complex than the tired Xavier/Magneto head to head that's been going on since the 60s.

How do the Xmen deal with Rogue nations that refuse to recognize their sovereignty? Black market crime rings in madripoor that are adulterating lifesaving drugs into poison? How do they reintegrate themselves with a mutant population that hasn't been on Earth in thousands of years? What's the role of religion when death is overcome?

edit: this was a GREAT panel from Xmen #4- Magneto explains how they've already won their classic struggle against those who hate and fear them- through economics

bkiV5jA.png

gcdwPXs.png

X-Men-4-5.jpg

all of this leads to much more interesting stories than "Someone stop juggernaut from robbing that bank" or "Apocalypse has new horsemen! AGAIN."
It better reflects the world we live in, and how the game has changed. "Racism is bad" as the totality of the allegory the book is going for simply isn't enough.

There are other lesser antagonists other than machinekind (in fact, we have yet to see the machines appear at all outside of the initial event) that are bringing up new questions and new issues- Hickman and crew even managed to Turn Apocalypse's history and motivations into something that made sense after decades of simple "survival of the fittest" nonsense.

It's good all around and WAY better than the book has been in decades.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The consistent problem Marvel writers have when the two teams meet (and then clash because it's superhero comics) is that the Avengers always come off as dumb thugs looking to enforce the status quo.

Captain America in his own series will meet up with a childhood friend who the comic never actually says is gay and in love with another man but maintains only the thinnest veneer of plausible deniability, and then when he and his partner are in danger and the Red Skull brainwashes him to renounce their love and deride themselves as freaks of nature Cap will fight like a mad dog to save him and implore him to remember that his love is real and that the only freaks are the corrupt and evil who try to divide us.

Not-Just-a-Soldier.jpg

Captain America and the Avengers, whenever they deal with the X-Men, pull this shit.

2289357-a7.jpg

Image-300.jpg

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
There we go.

COMPLETELY wrong.

Marvel did a complete status quo reset on the X-men with HOX/POX. The X-books look nothing like they used to. There are no such things as X-villains or evil mutants anymore. Everyone is united and on the same side. The relationship between humans and mutants is drastically different. The X-men are no longer "fighting to be understood in a world that hates and fears them" that bit is OVER.

The general gist of it is this- the timeline that the X-men (and by extension the rest of the marvel universe) live in was revealed to have been reset 9 times previously. We are on the tenth reset. We find out from the mutant that lived through the previous 9 that the rise of AI and artificial life is an inevitability. Humankind will always end up creating it. Bolivar trask and his entire family were assassinated to prevent the rise of sentinels in one timeline- it didn't matter. They rose anyway.

Sentinels/AI will rise in timelines where mutants work with humanity, work against humanity, or the X-men never get created at all. We see this explained on a Galactic level- Hickman expanded the lore of the Phalanx/Technarchy to be VASTLY more complex than anyone knew

Machines -no matter where they exist in the universe- will inevitably advance to various forms of intelligence that will result in a "Phalanx", "Titan", or "Dominion" - godlike, galaxy spanning machine intelligences that fear nothing in existence short of Galactus. What we previously knew of as the "Phalanx" is a drastically weaker subspecies. HOX/POX shows that without mutant intervention, humanity's development of AI and machines puts itself rapidly on a path that ends with a Phalanx assimilating and obliterating planet earth after AI advances far enough that it creates a Worldmind.

We only know this, because of the efforts of one mutant whose ability resets the timeline at the point of death. This has all been seen and verified.

The current status quo had Xavier, Magneto, and Apocalypse engage in a joint effort to prevent this outcome. Bigoted humanity isn't the enemy of the X-men anymore- machinekind is. A nation state in the middle of the pacific (using the mutant island, krakoa) was established. Using the mutant island of Krakoa and advanced bioengineering from other mutants (The x-men won't use standard technology anymore for obvious reasons) mutants and Krakoa created a host of advanced drugs that wipe out all nearly all disease, and expand human life by decades when taken. The efforts of mutants therefore immediately lowered global mortality by hundreds of millions of lives a year, overnight.

Krakoa's monopoly on these drugs not only made Charles Xavier the wealthiest man on the planet- drastically moreso than T'challa and Wakanda- it allowed Krakoa the political leverage to have itself recognized by the UN, and any mutant on the planet who wishes to exercise Krakoan citizenship may do so at any time. Krakoan citizenship comes with several benefits, foremost among these complete amnesty for any past crimes provided those mutants abide by Krakoa's internal laws going forward. This is why "X-villains" and "Evil mutants" no longer exist- outside of extremely rare exceptions that do not qualify for Krakoan Citizenship (goblin queen) or rejected it (Mikhail Rasputin). Everyone with an X-gene is now on the same side and working together.

Krakoa also has bioengineered teleportation gates around the world that only mutants may use (without an X-gene, they are impassible) and these gates expand "Krakoa" on a universal level- the lead to settlements on the blue area of the moon, to mars, and even Shi'ar space. There is no limit to where mutants may "live" as part of society. If they wish to "opt out" of living on earth, it is simple to do so.

and Finally- thanks to the combined efforts of "The Five" who are singularly exceptional mutants (Tempus, Elixir, Goldballs, Proteus, Hope Summers) mutants can no longer be permanently killed. Death is reversible and anyone who dies by (almost) any means can be immediately resurrected within hours. Death is off the table as a consequence and none of the X-men have reason to fear it anymore. That resurrection process is applicable to any mutant that has EVER died, meaning the millions that were wiped out on Genosha or lost their powers to Wanda's Decimation are now back. At present the number of mutants on earth is in the millions, up from about 200 after Decimation.

This is only the tip of the iceberg- we're starting to see with S.W.O.R.D. that the X-men established a space station in orbit that is running teleportation experiments that allow them to breach the bounds of reality as understood by the marvel universe, reaching outside of it into the unknown. It's crazy stuff and will have huge repercussions for the cosmic marvel books as the 616 Ultimates books did- S.W.O.R.D. appears to be picking up where that series left off.

THAT'S the new status quo. and that's why your criticism doesn't make sense anymore.
So whose the villain?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

That's from a book written in 2012 as part of the event. The X-men were clearly correct and the event spelled that out *AT THE TIME*. The "messiah" is analogous to hope summers, who was created as a vessel for the phoenix to restart this process. Any argument about "hardship" from mutation is irrelevant when you're talking about the complete halt of the evolutionary process on earth, which is what Wanda had done.

In *CURRENT* continuity the Xmen are even more correct, because without a robust mutant population fighting against AI, humanity wipes itself out after machinekind dominates the planet and attracts the attention of a Phalanx. The position of the X-men "don't mess with the phoenix, allow it to perform it's intended role" was the correct one and always has been. "Let's shoot it and not worry about the consequences of messing with cosmic forces" which was the position of the Avengers was ALWAYS stupid.

The Phoenix gave super powers to five scions of an alien race, and then came down and killed the demons and freeing the salves. Isn't the Earth analogue for this that the Phoenix will come to earth and kill all the humans? Why would the Avengers just sit by and go on with that? Why would the X-Men be okay with that? It's not even saying there that enslaved race got mutant powers.

And as an aside, I know what you mean with the halting of evolution/evolutionary process, as in no one getting natural super powers, but man does that term bug me when writers throw around terms like that, since it's disregarding what evolution actually is. Heck, you can barely even say evolution's ground to a halt, even with "evolution=natural super powers" terms, as the time between Decimation and Hope being born was probably about a year in universe.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know comic book events are big and dumb, but this one was really big and really dumb.

(X-Men, by the way. They really went over the top to make Cyclops seem like the bad guy.)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows prejudice is wrong and difference is good. That message has been written hundreds of times across the book since Claremont and EVERY marvel book hammers this point home, it's not an Xmen exclusive issue. The point of HOX/POX is to introduce new themes and conflicts beyond that, and turn the X-books into something that better reflects the world we live in and introduce relationships that are more complex than the tired Xavier/Magneto head to head that's been going on since the 60s.

How do the Xmen deal with Rogue nations that refuse to recognize their sovereignty? Black market crime rings in madripoor that are adulterating lifesaving drugs into poison? How do they reintegrate themselves with a mutant population that hasn't been on Earth in thousands of years? What's the role of religion when death is overcome?

all of this leads to much more interesting stories than "Someone stop juggernaut from robbing that bank" or "Apocalypse has new horsemen! AGAIN"

There are other lesser antagonists other than machinekind (in fact, we have yet to see the machines appear at all outside of the initial event) that are bringing up new questions and new issues- Hickman and crew even managed to Turn Apocalypse's history and motivations into something that made sense after decades of simple "survival of the fittest" nonsense.

It's good all around and WAY better than the book has been in decades.

How the heck does "what's death mean to an undying population and Mutants have their own island nation with a big No Humans Allowed sign" become more relevant to modern readers than what X-Men used to be, the thing that made it popular in the first place with as many fans as it did? It's just high concept sci-fi jargon at the expense of the series that's next to Spider-Man at best doing the "world outside your window" take on superheroes the Marvel universe runs on. It's not bad, God no, it's not my thing but it's not bad, but Hickman's X-Men is more of his brand of sci-fi epic than it is what X-Men was built to be. Whether or not you like it, that's fine, but it's clearly got different goals in mind.

I think Hickman is, demonstrably, doing a better job than the last 15 years of X-Men and only arguably in the case of the last 20 (and most everything before that after Claremont's departure? It's not even a contest), but I don't think the problem with the mission statement of the X-Men is outdated, I think the problem is that Grant Morrison changed the narrative from coexistence and acceptance to waiting for humans to die out so the Mutants can take over, and then for over a decade after the X-Men were only allowed to tell Mutant Extinction stories because they kept giving the job to old white dudes whose only concept of marginalized identities is "well lots of people hate them right?"

Hickman's only able to do what he did now because the core of the X-Men was ripped out ages ago. I'm not saying Claremont was some Woke Boomer Genius, he was demonstrably telling a superhero fantasy story for young boys, but he still infused his work with the themes that made X-Men what it was.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The Phoenix gave super powers to five scions of an alien race, and then came down and killed the demons and freeing the salves. Isn't the Earth analogue for this that the Phoenix will come to earth and kill all the humans? Why would the Avengers just sit by and go on with that? Why would the X-Men be okay with that? It's not even saying there that enslaved race got mutant powers.

Your comprehension can't possibly be THAT bad. It's literally one page.

A bunch of demons (analogous to Wanda) cast a spell that stopped evolution on that planet ("no more mutants"). The phoenix force created the "messiah" (hope summers) and her acolytes (the five lights) as a vessel by which to undo the spell being cast and restart evolution, which it did.

How do you get "killing all the humans" out of breaking a spell? Humanity as a whole wasn't preventing more mutants from ever being born, that was JUST wanda.

and to the latter part of your comment- Wanda's spell eliminated the X-gene completely, meaning no more mutants would EVER be born, grinding the evolutionary process on earth to a halt. A cosmic entity whose perception is not limited by time wouldn't really see "its only been a couple of years" as an impediment to reversing it. There would have been no more mutants for 100, 1000, 10,000, or a million years until it intervened.

How the heck does "what's death mean to an undying population and Mutants have their own island nation with a big No Humans Allowed sign" become more relevant to modern readers than what X-Men used to be, the thing that made it popular in the first place with as many fans as it did? It's just high concept sci-fi jargon at the expense of the series that's next to Spider-Man at best doing the "world outside your window" take on superheroes the Marvel universe runs on. It's not bad, God no, it's not my thing but it's not bad, but Hickman's X-Men is more of his brand of sci-fi epic than it is what X-Men was built to be. Whether or not you like it, that's fine, but it's clearly got different goals in mind.

I think Hickman is, demonstrably, doing a better job than the last 15 years of X-Men and only arguably in the case of the last 20 (and most everything before that after Claremont's departure? It's not even a contest), but I don't think the problem with the mission statement of the X-Men is outdated, I think the problem is that Grant Morrison changed the narrative from coexistence and acceptance to waiting for humans to die out so the Mutants can take over, and then for over a decade after the X-Men were only allowed to tell Mutant Extinction stories because they kept giving the job to old white dudes whose only concept of marginalized identities is "well lots of people hate them right?"

Hickman's only able to do what he did now because the core of the X-Men was ripped out ages ago. I'm not saying Claremont was some Woke Boomer Genius, he was demonstrably telling a superhero fantasy story for young boys, but he still infused his work with the themes that made X-Men what it was.

Those themes are still there, but it's not the totality of what's there. This isn't hard. The new status quo is allowing different, more relevant stories to be told- would the scene with Magneto explaining how the people they've been fighting against have been abusing economics to keep everyone underfoot, and turning those lessons around on them to win their "war" without firing a shot have been possible previously? No. But here we are, in uncharted territory. It's not all grand sci fi space epics. The world is different than it was in the 70s and so are the concerns of those reading them. Economic Justice as a message is also important and the book touches on that.

So whose the villain?

read the books

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A bunch of demons (analogous to Wanda) cast a spell that stopped evolution on that planet ("no more mutants"). The phoenix force created the "messiah" (hope summers) and her acolytes (the five lights) as a vessel by which to undo the spell being cast and restart evolution, which it did.

How do you get "killing all the humans" out of breaking a spell?

Those themes are still there, but it's not the totality of what's there. This isn't hard.

It's hard to feel like those themes are still there and still relevant to modern the X-Men mythos when it's about them all giving up on integration and moving to a special island for them only where they've successfully cured death. Like, do you not see how big a shift that is? Do you not understand why that feels alienating to someone who fell in love with the X-Men as a story of fighting for integration and acceptance?

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
It's hard to feel like those themes are still there and still relevant to modern the X-Men mythos when it's about them all giving up on integration and moving to a special island for them only where they've successfully cured death. Like, do you not see how big a shift that is? Do you not understand why that feels alienating to someone who fell in love with the X-Men as a story of fighting for integration and acceptance?

Pretty sure I've been reading X-men at least as long as you have. And the Krakoa saga has only just begun to be told. "Giving up on integration" isn't necessarily the case, but Krakoa as a nation state is where the mutants need to be *at the moment* until humanity progresses.

For all the talk of the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons between magneto and professor X, a lot of people seem to gloss over that Malcolm X was very much a black separatist in favor of his own nation state for most of his life. Neither X nor Magneto was entirely correct (let alone Apocalypse, who is a complicated topic) but it's clear that Magneto's vision took precedence there in setting up Krakoa as exclusionary. Is that permanent? Probably not- there have been many hints of cracks in the foundation of the nation state, and we've already seen one alternate universe (in Excalibur) where Krakoa has been rendered no longer necessary and no one lives there.

edit: AGAIN from Xmen #4

X-Men-4-Xavier-Reveals-Motives-To-World-Government.jpg

Let the book play out.

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I've been reading X-men at least as long as you have. And the Krakoa saga has only just begun to be told. "Giving up on integration" isn't necessarily the case, but Krakoa as a nation state is where the mutants need to be *at the moment* until humanity progresses.

For all the talk of the MLK/Malcolm X comparisons between magneto and professor X, a lot of people seem to gloss over that Malcolm X was very much a black separatist in favor of his own nation state for most of his life. Neither X nor Magneto was entirely correct (let alone Apocalypse, who is a complicated topic) but it's clear that Magneto's vision took precedence there in setting up Krakoa as exclusionary. Is that permanent? Probably not- there have been many hints of cracks in the foundation of the nation state, and we've already seen one alternate universe (in Excalibur) where Krakoa has been rendered no longer necessary and no one lives there.

Let the book play out.

The book's gonna finish in how many years it wants but all I can do is judge what's in front of me now. Maybe in X (har har) amount of years it'll come together as a cohesive whole but by then who knows what's coming next. It's not a complete story yet, it's one told in monthly installments.

If I had to sum it up in a clickbait article kind of way, it's that Hickman's X-Men is Hickman's story, and that what Claremont established feels to me what X-Men should be, and has been followed by other writers for good or ill. A story about prejudice told in a superhero universe, so of course everyone has cool superpowers and the means of oppression are giant purple robots.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The book's gonna finish in how many years it wants but all I can do is judge what's in front of me now. Maybe in X (har har) amount of years it'll come together as a cohesive whole but by then who knows what's coming next. It's not a complete story yet, it's one told in monthly installments.

If I had to sum it up in a clickbait article kind of way, it's that Hickman's X-Men is Hickman's story, and that what Claremont established feels to me what X-Men should be, and has been followed by other writers for good or ill. A story about prejudice told in a superhero universe, so of course everyone has cool superpowers and the means of oppression are giant purple robots.

We'll have to agree to disagree for most of that, not the least of which that insisting that this is "Hickman's Story" when dozens of people were and are involved in constructing it. But I'll ask you- who was building the "giant purple robots?" Who was funding that?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to agree to disagree for most of that, not the least of which that insisting that this is "Hickman's Story" when dozens of people were and are involved in constructing it. But I'll ask you- who was building the "giant purple robots?" Who was funding that?

Well the first guy was a misguided scientist who realized his beliefs were wrong and died to save the X-Men but afterwards yeah, it was rich industrialists fanning the flames of a prejudiced population who saw Mutants as a threat to their status quo, often ending up in futures where their beliefs pushed them to make even stronger Sentinels until eventually they end up in an apocalyptic dystopia created out of their own ignorance and hate.

The reason I described X-Men as "a story about prejudice told in a superhero universe, so of course everyone has cool superpowers and the means of oppression are giant purple robots" is that it's a superhero story set in a superhero universe, and has to express itself in ways that a superhero story would. You know how you get stories sometimes where there's some evil fantastical drug that gives the user superpowers, and it's clearly a story about the dangers of drug use? That's adapting a normal, real life thing into a superhero story. You gotta take real issues and sell them to an audience of ten year olds.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Well the first guy was a misguided scientist who realized his beliefs were wrong and died to save the X-Men but afterwards yeah, it was rich industrialists fanning the flames of a prejudiced population who saw Mutants as a threat to their status quo, often ending up in futures where their beliefs pushed them to make even stronger Sentinels until eventually they end up in an apocalyptic dystopia created out of their own ignorance and hate.

The reason I described X-Men as "a story about prejudice told in a superhero universe, so of course everyone has cool superpowers and the means of oppression are giant purple robots" is that it's a superhero story set in a superhero universe, and has to express itself in ways that a superhero story would. You know how you get stories sometimes where there's some evil fantastical drug that gives the user superpowers, and it's clearly a story about the dangers of drug use? That's adapting a normal, real life thing into a superhero story. You gotta take real issues and sell them to an audience of ten year olds.

The audience for X-men (and most of marvel's print output) isn't "ten year olds" and hasn't been for decades. Like videogames in general the average age rapidly moved up after the shift to the direct market in the late 80s and early 90s, and the typical print customer is in their 30s and 40s.

stories for ten year olds don't fly, at least not for this book. More complex narratives are needed for a more complex audience.

As to the "big purple robot" question, marvel has admitted in print several times that the Sentinel Program was government funded. As recently as the Bendis X-books S.H.I.E.L.D. straight up admitted they were theirs- owned and operated. That's the status quo the X-men were living in when they created Krakoa, their own government was heavily invested in eliminating them by any means necessary. The rosenberg book took this one even farther- when the X-men disappeared (into Age of X-man) the ENTIRE world went into a mutant eliminating free for all using whatever drugs and tech were available.

In a situation where your own government consistently funds and operates giant building sized robots to murder their own population, and manufactures poison to sterilize mutants, simply endlessly punching robots into scrap isn't going to work. Thus the different approach of establishment of a nation state, extending asylum, and leveraging economics to ensure said governments can't do that anymore.

Modern problems need modern solutions. All I'll have to say, I have to get on with some personal business.

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
X-men. Every time they do a X vs Y event like this it has one side be so hilariously correct that the whole thing ends up total dogshit. Like with both Civil War events. They just have to write characters like total idiots in order to make it work.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
So imagine this is the point you picked as your onramp (CBH's reading list for "modern" comics still had it as the entry point back in 2015) into the Marvel comics after picking up a Marvel Unlimited subscription. That was bascially me and I really didn't like this event at all. I had a passable familiarity with the X-men from video games and watching the old cartoon near religiously and had picked up a couple issues when I was a kid but never stuck with it. I came into this expecting a fun and interesting read and it was just a lot of un-fun dreck that I had to slog through because no one made any damn sense. Seriously, are there any good Marvel events? I rarely hear about good ones.

I unfortunately dropped the MU sub about a year later still trying to pick my way through the Marvel Now! period and had largely burned out by trying to read everything following the CBH reading order which meant a lot of hopping between books and not coming back to certain plots for months which sucked. At least I managed to read through Fraction's Hawkeye run and things like Thor God of Thunder, Superior Spider-man, and Wolverine & The X-men which were highlights among a lot of just dull stuff.

and Finally- thanks to the combined efforts of "The Five" who are singularly exceptional mutants (Tempus, Elixir, Goldballs, Proteus, Hope Summers) mutants can no longer be permanently killed.

WHHHAAAT?! When did Goldballs get a glow-up? This shit is crazy, and I want in.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
The group that didn't think a hostile, planet-destroying cosmic entity was going to save them.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The audience for X-men (and most of marvel's print output) isn't "ten year olds" and hasn't been for decades. Like videogames in general the average age rapidly moved up after the shift to the direct market in the late 80s and early 90s, and the typical print customer is in their 30s and 40s.

stories for ten year olds don't fly, at least not for this book. More complex narratives are needed for a more complex audience.

As to the "big purple robot" question, marvel has admitted in print several times that the Sentinel Program was government funded. As recently as the Bendis X-books S.H.I.E.L.D. straight up admitted they were theirs- owned and operated. That's the status quo the X-men were living in when they created Krakoa, their own government was heavily invested in eliminating them by any means necessary. The rosenberg book took this one even farther- when the X-men disappeared (into Age of X-man) the ENTIRE world went into a mutant eliminating free for all using whatever drugs and tech were available.

In a situation where your own government consistently funds and operates giant building sized robots to murder their own population, and manufactures poison to sterilize mutants, simply endlessly punching robots into scrap isn't going to work. Thus the different approach of establishment of a nation state, extending asylum, and leveraging economics to ensure said governments can't do that anymore.

Modern problems need modern solutions. All I'll have to say, I have to get on with some personal business.

I mean fair enough on the audience shift but I don't think characters made predominantly for a kids audience can easily transfer over to a "more complex" narrative, or even that the story of the X-Men getting their own island nation overnight that pops out miracle drugs to turn them into a world power and cured death is any less a fantasy narrative than a simplistic parable about standing up to prejudice packaged for an audience who wants to see guys in costumes use cool superpowers.

(Other X-Men writers going ham on the "humans want to exterminate the fuck out of all mutants and nobody is coming to help" thing is also part and parcel of my problem as much as Hickman's choices. Stories about integration being doomed to failure just ain't X-Men)

Hickman did this kind of thing with the overarching Incursions story in his dual Avengers title run, where the cast has to deal with apocalyptic scenarios that stains their hands with blood and shatters their morality, and the reason we didn't get that beforehand isn't because the audience couldn't handle stories of actual consequence we didn't get that because these characters have to show up in five other books next month and while stories where the heroes fail can be impactful (like Korvac or Dark Phoenix Saga) they don't happen all the time because then the impact gets dulled. They're characters built to run in stories solved by punch-ups and I don't think taking them out of that zone is inherently good or more forward thinking.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017

How do you get "killing all the humans" out of breaking a spell? Humanity as a whole wasn't preventing more mutants from ever being born, that was JUST wanda.

and to the latter part of your comment- Wanda's spell eliminated the X-gene completely, meaning no more mutants would EVER be born, grinding the evolutionary process on earth to a halt. A cosmic entity whose perception is not limited by time wouldn't really see "its only been a couple of years" as an impediment to reversing it. There would have been no more mutants for 100, 1000, 10,000, or a million years until it intervened.

Given how X-Books generally depict human-mutant relations, its hardly a stretch to interpret the demons there as being humans oppressing mutants. It's heavy handed enough with these being demon oppressors. By the context of the Marvel Universe, human evolution had already been irreparably tampered with by Celestials, however while the X-gene had been wiped out, the process that could allow humans to gain super powers wasn't gone, nor were the offshoots of mankind like the Atlantians, Eternals, Deviants, Inhumans, and others so claiming that the evolutionary process was ground to a halt is kind of disingenuous.

In the example the return of evolution (well super powers, not real evolution) is painted as an unabashed positive by paring it up with liberation from literal alien devil slavers. It colors the idea that since this was a good thing here it will be good anywhere, but disregards the context of 616 earth's actual status. Being a mutant is generally shown as being pretty terrible, both before and after Decimation. Conflicts with humans and other mutants aside, just the type of power you get can be greatly debilitating or incredibly dangerous. But with everything else shown in the Marvel U, powers can be given in non-accidental ways and with controlled powers. You could have people who actually consent to the powers they receive rather than it just hitting them when they're at puberty. Heck, while I know it's got story reasons why it doesn't work on humans or mutants, the Inhuman way of doing things (at least how it used to be. Not totally sure what's the deal with the cloud) was a lot saner since it had the Inhuman's consent to gain the power,and they were already in the same community before and after their empowering. That's why it seems incredibly selfish and dangerous to me that the X-Men would want to bring back super powers through mutation. If the X-Men/mutants, were on their own on 616 Earth then it'd be a different story, but then we wouldn't have an AvX at all.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Both sides were acting like pieces of shit. The only good issue out of the whole run was issue #6, and that's the one Hickman wrote.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is Marvel still pushing god awful Versus Crossovers? I super checked out when they announced Civil War 2.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Other than the whole Phoenix thing in the Avengers book, not really.

Outlawed might technically count as one in the sense that there's a small handful of heroes (mostly the New Warriors) who are signing on with the government's actions in the hopes of effectively training young heroes, but who even knows if that book is coming out anymore.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Outlawed might technically count as one in the sense that there's a small handful of heroes (mostly the New Warriors) who are signing on with the government's actions in the hopes of effectively training young heroes, but who even knows if that book is coming out anymore.
But that's not really a hero vs hero thing, more like some knockoff SHIELD because the government is too cheap to reinstate SHIELD (even though SHIELD is a UN organization but whatever) chasing a bunch of heroes while everyone else either does nothing or helps them hide out.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But that's not really a hero vs hero thing, more like some knockoff SHIELD because the government is too cheap to reinstate SHIELD (even though SHIELD is a UN organization but whatever) chasing a bunch of heroes while everyone else either does nothing or helps them hide out.

I'm stretching the definition here. It's only Hero vs. Hero in the sense that the New Warriors might tussle with the Champions at one point before teaming up.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Avengers. Just cause I don't like the new X-Men stuff. The further it goes along it feels like the writer jerking off over their favorite characters. Making everyone else stupid and then creating a context where the X-Men are the most important, bestest ever.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

edit: AGAIN from Xmen #4

X-Men-4-Xavier-Reveals-Motives-To-World-Government.jpg

Let the book play out.
And to piggyback off of this post since I didn't see it earlier: there's humans on Krakoa.Mutants in relationships with baseline humans haven't been forced to kick those people to the curb. There's handful of humans living in a society dominated by mutants. They just set up a location for human refugees, some of which will no doubt want to stay in Krakoa versus wherever they came from.

The human/mutant relationship and conflicts are still there. They're just backed by an existential threat that will be the downfall of both humans and mutants if humans continue their aggressive war against mutants.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The whole event sucked, it had some cool moments like any other event but other than that it mostly just painted both groups as assholes.

What the fuck am I looking at? Jesus.

The Phoenix have taken a bunch of different heroes hostage and have them fight against each other to select a new host for the Phoenix force. It ain't as bad as people are saying, I quite like it. It's stupid fun. Most of the designs sucks tho.

Howard the duck is in it.
howard.jpg

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The whole event sucked, it had some cool moments like any other event but other than that it mostly just painted both groups as assholes.

The Phoenix have taken a bunch of different heroes hostage and have them fight against each other to select a new host for the Phoenix force. It ain't as bad as people are saying, I quite like it. It's stupid fun. Most of the designs sucks tho.

Howard the duck is in it.
howard.jpg
Howard The Duck was robbed.