• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
And he looked like this.

None of us will ever see this movie. This cut of it might exist in its entirety somewhere on a harddrive, but it will either be locked away for all eternity or scrubbed from planet earth.

oh what could have been

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
RIP nightmare Sonic. You died so big studios could learn to stop fucking around with classic designs

Corrie1960

Banned
Mar 19, 2019
RIP nightmare Sonic. You died so big studios could learn to stop fucking around with classic designs

I can imagine Hollywood this is sonic the hedgehog he already has a perfect design but let's mess it up and make man children cry and give children nightmares

there a rumour of the new version of the new sonic online it looks amazing

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still think the "meow" thing and the elevator scene are funny. Will they remove Gangstar Paradise?

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is the movie officially dead or just delayed due to redesign?

The latter, this is the rumored / leaked redesign:
EIqPC8lWkAA4EeN

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
The new design is basically regular Sonic but with fur. Imagine the time and money saved if they didn't go for reinventing the wheel with the design.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Breaks my heart that we ruined the sonic movie, i really wanted the cringe sonic. I guess I'll settle for cats

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
They should have just released it instead of prolonging what will almost certainly be an average Alvin and the Chipmunks clone.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
oh damn this got canned?

I still don't understand why they used gangsta's paradise for this. It makes.. no sense

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
A massive shame, honestly. We could've had a Sonic movie that was both horrible and terrifying. Now it'll just be horrible.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really glad they took the time and effort to fix things, it shouldn't have happened in the first place but it's very rare to see a company admit the fans were right on such a massive scale. They could have easily not given a fuck and went ahead with the original design and probably have made just as much if not more money off of people who didn't care either way.

The comedy and premise of the first trailer haven't given me great confidence that the movie will be great regardless, but I'm willing to check it out and hopefully be pleasantly surprised.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure it's been said before but it looks like a Saturday Night Live parody trailer. Jim Carrey's performance looks like it's down there with Arnie's Mr Freeze and Travolta from Battlefield earth.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
How DARE they compromise their ARTISTIC VISION to appease to the corporate overlords and mainstream sheeple. Like those auteurs before it, we have another victim of the conformity CONSTRAINING our society.
2019-05-03-ts3_thumbs-207.jpg

This design had purpose, GRIT, and a sense of identity that those Pixar FANBOYS couldn't dare to reach! I wanted Sonic the FUCKING Hedgehog, not Detective Pikachu 2!

#RELEASETHEUGLYCUT

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
"Cave to internet pressure"

It's more like "understand the movie was going to absolutely bomb unless they make the design more appealing to general audiences".
People way underestimate how badly this design went over. I would hear people audibly groan whenever the trailer came on in movie theaters. I showed the Sonic design to my mom (who I can definitely say does not care in the slightest) and her reaction was just "hm. He looks kind of stupid, doesn't he?"

I don't see what the benefit is in pretending this was just a few dweebs on the Internet (like me) complaining about this, the reaction was universally negative. It's not like it was just the fact that it was different from the games (the new design, while closer, still has a few key differences), but the original movie design was atrociously bad. This movie would have tanked hard had it come out in the state it was in.

Now, it could very well still bomb. I don't subscribe to the "they made it bad on purpose so they could get brownie points for 'fixing' it later" theory, but yeah, that's probably going to be the end result even if it wasn't intentional. The movie will still likely be mediocre at best, but the next time they launch a new trailer it won't matter how cheesy the jokes are, or how inappropriate the music is or whatever, all the buzz is going to be about how good Sonic looks. They'll get butts in the seats just for that.

I get the people who are concerned about "oh they're caving into backlash," but come on. This is a super cosmetic change to something that was reviled by like 99% of this movie's intended audience, and let's not pretend like movies being changed in post in reaction to test screenings, etc. is anything new.