• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
W2JNjK3.jpg

inandofitselfshow.com

IN & OF ITSELF

A story reveals the illusion of one’s own identity in Derek DelGaudio’s modern allegory, IN & OF ITSELF, directed by Frank Oz.

Performed by Derek DelGaudio

Released on Hulu 22 January 2021 (USA)

Directed by Frank Oz

Co-produced by Stephen Colbert and his wife Evelyn McGee Colbert, as well as Daryl Roth and Tom Werner.

Neil Patrick Harris was one of the producers of the live show.

Trailer:

Synopsis: Do not read a synopsis and go in blind to see this. This one's best experienced as a discovery. But here are notable people raving about it:

The performance is incredible and it's an absolute must-see. One of the all-time great live performances in my humble opinion. Would love to hear about the live performance if anyone has seen it. But I think the filmed version is especially unique compared.

This thread is just me wanting to rave about it with more people.

Last edited:

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
Watched this tonight and it was absolutely in fucking credible. I really don't have words to describe it. Just wow.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just finished watching this...

I don't think I have words to describe it. I watched it alone in a dark room and I've been damn near inconsolable for the last 30 minutes after finishing it. What an incredible piece of art, I wish I could have seen it live.

Wow.

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
Really fantastic. Haven't watched stage illusions in a long long time & I'm happy this was my reentry. Hadn't heard of the artist before and now I really wish I could go to one of the live shows.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Truly deserving of the hype and praise. One of the best things I've seen in awhile. Would have loved to have seen one of his live shows.

Doomburrito

Feb 9, 2018
Honestly absolutely incredible. I'm going to be telling everyone to watch it. I'd love to hear people's thoughts on how some of that was done.

1. The letter - Producers of the show reach out to multiple acquaintances of an audience member (I doubt chosen at random, although I'm not sure what mechanism would be used). This one is less of a mystery in terms of how they do it and honestly just more of a mystery of the logistics of solicitating that many letters from a person's friends/family for every single performance. That sounds pretty difficult!

2. The names - My wife and I went through a number of options but settled on the most likely one being multiple cameras looking both at the stack of names as people walk in, and on their faces + of the theater. Then, over the course of the show, PAs could go through the video, match each name to the face and note where they are sitting, write it all down and then pipe it to him via a mic. I seriously can't think of another reasonable way. We had considered that he just has an amazing memory, but I think that's unlikely.

3. Posters on the wall - Easy enough, they move the wall in during the name trick. Still completely blew me away

4. Brick - I have no fucking clue how it disappears. I love that they actually need to send someone to some random intersection every nice.

Dreenk

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really know what to expect from this, and it truly blew me away. Echoing other folks that I really wish I'd been able to see this live, but it's kind of amazing how well they've translated this type of performance to film. It really is something special.

I was entranced from the start, but past a certain point my jaw was on the floor. During and afterward, I couldn't help thinking about how some of it was done (I came to some of the same conclusions as you did above, Doomburrito)... but right along with that was the understanding that to the people in those audiences, nothing could have mattered less. What happened for them was meaningful and sincere and... well, magic. I can see why people come away from this declaring it life-changing.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend doing so without reading anything else about it. If you have watched it, here's an interview from The Daily Beast with Derek that doesn't divulge (or actually even ask) anything about the "tricks," but does provide some insight into what he was going for with the show, and also some good anecdotes from other performances. From the time he stood up til the end, I was like "...was that fucking Bill Gates!?" and yes, yes it was.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. This was just fantastic.

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
Just watched, felt nothing. Overlong, was not hooked by the stories and the tricks while impressive were the usual cold reading/card/thing disappeared.
The emotional reactions from the audience was cringe. Honestly found the whole presentation a bit pretentious.
I watched a review on 'Tested' YouTube, Norma's wife got the letter but he didn't elaborate on how the letter writer ( sister in law ) got involved.

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Just watched this and found it completely captivating. I imagine it was electric being in that theater.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
i was annoyed how he kept pretending to be surpised by things happening in the show he's done 500 something times

OP
OP
Kommodore

Kommodore

Oct 27, 2017
Watched it again recently getting other people to watch it and
it dawned on me the 6 distinct chambers on the wall that make up the sections of the show resemble or represent the 6 chambers of the gun referenced as part of story he tells in the beginning.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Is this depressing or sad? I'm interested, but Idk if I can handle sad things right now.

Firmus_Anguis

Oct 30, 2017
I'm sorry for the bump, but there is a reason for it.

Firstly, as a reminder that this exists and you should see it (just based on the stuff people have been saying about it), but mainly because I haven't been able to see it.

I live in Sweden and as of yet, there is no legal way to watch this that I've found. I want to see this badly, so to any fellow Swede, please help a guy out (again, LEGAL means).

And again, sorry for the bump, but I didn't think my question warranted a brand new thread.