• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
6aUtJrM.png

www.ajc.com

Ga. senators advance bills to end at-will absentee voting, require ID

Georgia Senate subcommittees voted Wednesday to advance bills ending no-excuse absentee voting, requiring ID when requesting an absentee ballot, limiting mobile voting buses and creating a state elections assistance officer. The bills will next be considered by the full Senate Ethics Committee.

Bills requiring an excuse and an ID number for absentee voting in Georgia cleared their first committee Wednesday, creating new restrictions after last year's presidential election.

A Senate subcommittee voted 3-2 along party lines to approve the bills, which now advance to the full Ethics Committee.

Georgia law has allowed any registered voter to cast an absentee ballot since 2005, but Senate Bill 71 would limit absentee voting to people who are over 75, have a physical disability or are out of town.

RBH

Official ERA expert on Third Party Football
Nov 2, 2017
I hate these fuckers

Need the John Lewis bill ASAP

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outside of a pandemic, I don't see how this even really moves the needle in their favor.

They will just make up some other delusional excuse when they lose elections.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Yeah Arizona just tried to remove the permanent early voting roster, but thankfully a Republican in the senate stopped that.

These people can't win by letting the people vote so they are going to try and stop people from voting.

Which just goes to show you that nearly every single one of them would vote to end Democracy if it meant they could stay in power.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
This is just going to backfire. People will be voting to spite them.

Problem is, what if it inspires their voters to turn out? They operate on a lot of spite and had the most spiteful man ever be their President for 4 years, and are still covering for him.

But yeah, hopefully the Democrats are able to pull off their Voting Rights Act, that'll be probably the most important thing they can possibly do outside of Covid relief.

Zip

Oct 28, 2017
2020 election just showed republicans what barriers there were that stopped them from being able to overturn and mold the election results. They will now spend the next four years trying to eliminate those obstacles.

This shit isn't over until consequences start happening.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How the fuck can these people just decide to change the rules that get them into power on a whim?

Like, you have a system where, nominally, a society pools together and decides who they want to elect, and you're telling me these clowns can just upend the table because it's not rigged enough in their favour? If your policies aren't enticing enough voters it's because they're bad policies! How is this not fundamentally illegal?

Does this happen anywhere else? Is this happening in Canada right now?

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope one day somehow, some way the usa can stop being so fucking stupid with it's voting rules and systems. I know that's hard because states run the elections and the GOP aren't gonna change a system for the better if it means they aren't going to win easily if ever, but it's ridiculous talking to my wife and her family about how easy it is to vote in my country and how batshit the usa does it in some states at the least.

Here every year or so you get sent a letter in the post from the government. It lists everyone over 18 living at the address on record. You then either text a simple confirmation code to confirm it's right. Or go to a website to confirm it. If the names show people who no longer live at the address or are missing people over 18 you either write on it and mail back the correct info or go to the website and remove the names not there and add the info for those that do live at the address now.

Then when voting time comes you get sent a polling card saying the date of the vote and where to vote in your local area and just go along. You don't need ID to vote, most people take the card but all you need is your name and your address to tell the person so they can cross you off the list of those who voted already.

Oh and added bonus, when you do the confirmation thing or anytime after that you can simple request mail in voting without any reason and they send you a form to sign to send back so they can see your signature. That's literally the only ID you'd need to vote and that's if you decide to mail vote. Oh and of course you can even name someone else on the confirmation forms for the voting registration to go in person to vote for you instead if you want, which most don't do but people who can't leave their homes due to bring sick or disabled probably use that option a fair bit when they have a loved one vote for them.

DekuBleep

Oct 25, 2017
I want to be able to vote from an app on my mobile device. Please make it happen. Hopefully this never becomes law.

The4thJeazy

May 14, 2020
I don't know if this country is gonna make it. People have lost their damn minds to hold on to power and they don't even accept irrefutable facts anymore. Fucking hell man

Oct 27, 2017
I think because those bills will bring the Filibuster issue to the forefront and force a final reckoning on that issue - as it should. That must happen within the first two years -- sooner is better.
It's another reason why I want it to be brought up sooner than later. The filibuster issue needs to be brought to the forefront.